Question about 44k DI guitar tracks

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
WarStar

27 Aug 2022

I think I know the answer but I have some 44k DI guitar tracks and I'm wondering what exactly happens if I'm putting insert efx on them and then export to 48k? Will the insert efx output 48k despite processing a 44k file..? Or does it even matter because I only have a 44k file to begin with..?

Thanks guys..

selig
RE Developer

27 Aug 2022

If you must convert to 48, I would do so on the direct tracks, THEN render all insert FX at 48. This, as opposed to adding the FX at 44.1 then upsampling. This is because the actual FX won't need to be converted and gives you the best idea of exactly what you'll get on export (though any differences would likely be minimal between these rates).
As a related item, I also do any edits to the DI BEFORE rendering FX/ReAmping for similar reasons (plus the amp sound can sometimes 'hide' edits).
Selig Audio, LLC

WarStar

27 Aug 2022

selig wrote:
27 Aug 2022
If you must convert to 48, I would do so on the direct tracks, THEN render all insert FX at 48. This, as opposed to adding the FX at 44.1 then upsampling. This is because the actual FX won't need to be converted and gives you the best idea of exactly what you'll get on export (though any differences would likely be minimal between these rates).
As a related item, I also do any edits to the DI BEFORE rendering FX/ReAmping for similar reasons (plus the amp sound can sometimes 'hide' edits).
Interesting.. good idea..! I'm gonna give that a try. Might not be all that different but I'll see what it sounds like..

Thanks Selig!

• Information