Old Reason 3.0 boxed-Refills (Registration and use)

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Cal

24 Aug 2022

Do these older boxed-Refills have registration/license codes?

I'm about to buy a copy of 2 old Refills. They do not have the original box but the instructions inside one of the original jewel cases does not mention registration.

I emailed Reason support and the guy told me I need the license number and registration code to use the sounds? The seller is also confused but is not a Reason user as far as I know.

This Refill is from 3.0 around 2006ish. The representative may not be familiar with older Refills and I can't find any info on Refill registration anywhere.

Here is the response from Reason Studios:

"If the licence for this ReFill hasn't yet been registered, then you'll be able to register it to your Reason Studios account (provided the seller has included the licence number and registration code). If not, then you can ask the seller to transfer the registration from their Reason Studios account to yours.

If they're not able to provide you with the licence, then you have grounds to request a refund, as it's essentially the licence that you're paying for."

HELP!

EnochLight

24 Aug 2022

Cal wrote:
24 Aug 2022
Do these older boxed-Refills have registration/license codes?
Yes, they have registration codes - but they're not required to use them. They're just required if you wanted to register them to your account (which is totally unnecessary, as these products have long been discontinued and deprecated). Technically the seller is *supposed* to give you the CD-ROM (or maybe DVD-ROM.. can't remember) that the Refill comes on, and the seller is *supposed* to delete the Refill from their library. Key word being *supposed*... :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

huggermugger

24 Aug 2022

Whether or not there are registration codes, the code won't be needed to use the Refill. However, as with any commercial media collection (like a sample set), there are issues of ownership. In most cases, only the original purchaser may use the product (especially if it's going to earn them money). They may not transfer the license either.

Theoretically, if you don't own a loop/sample/etc, and you use it in something that ends up making money and being heard by someone who knows where the element came from, and they want to make a stink about it, you might have to deal with a hassle. But these days, regrettably, there's so much borrowed material floating around that it'd be pretty unlikely anything would happen (unless you were Drake and you used a familiar Rex loop for example).

Loque

25 Aug 2022

Depending on the license, reselling is not allowed. Be sure, license reselling is allowed.

If you do not buy the license, using it is illegal.
Reason12, Win10

Aosta

25 Aug 2022

Where are you buying them from? I'd double check they are legit copies before anything.
Tend the flame

Cal

26 Aug 2022

Update with reply from Reason representative:

I am familiar with the Abbey Road Keyboards ReFill. I worked on the product myself. TheReFill is a ReFill that requires a licence to use. If you have not received a licence, then you are not licensed to use the ReFill - without a licence it's effectively a pirate copy (albeit perhaps not an intentionally).

Whether you can use it or not is up to you. You asked if you were allowed to use the ReFill. Without a licence, no. Can we prevent you from using the ReFill? No.

Cal

26 Aug 2022

huggermugger wrote:
24 Aug 2022
Whether or not there are registration codes, the code won't be needed to use the Refill. However, as with any commercial media collection (like a sample set), there are issues of ownership. In most cases, only the original purchaser may use the product (especially if it's going to earn them money). They may not transfer the license either.

Theoretically, if you don't own a loop/sample/etc, and you use it in something that ends up making money and being heard by someone who knows where the element came from, and they want to make a stink about it, you might have to deal with a hassle. But these days, regrettably, there's so much borrowed material floating around that it'd be pretty unlikely anything would happen (unless you were Drake and you used a familiar Rex loop for example).
Would it be smart to own a DVD copy and hopefully buy a license from someone (who lost or broke the DVD) in the future?

The Refill is Abbey Road Keyboards and I come across it maybe once a year and it's absolutely irritating that Reason does not sell it anymore.

Cal

26 Aug 2022

Aosta wrote:
25 Aug 2022
Where are you buying them from? I'd double check they are legit copies before anything.
eBay. Copies look legit.

EnochLight

26 Aug 2022

Cal wrote:
26 Aug 2022
Aosta wrote:
25 Aug 2022
eBay. Copies look legit.
If they are COPIES, they are not legit. If it's an original disc (with license that the seller will transfer), then yeah - it's legit.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Cal

26 Aug 2022

EnochLight wrote:
26 Aug 2022
Cal wrote:
26 Aug 2022

eBay. Copies look legit.
If they are COPIES, they are not legit. If it's an original disc (with license that the seller will transfer), then yeah - it's legit.
I meant they are ORIGINAL manufacturer copies.

(Click the arrow to see the next image)

As you can see in the instructions they don't mention a code but apparently one exists but WHERE? Must have been a paper slip in the box.

EnochLight

26 Aug 2022

Cal wrote:
26 Aug 2022

As you can see in the instructions they don't mention a code but apparently one exists but WHERE? Must have been a paper slip in the box.

Looks like ReasonTalk will not post my images here is a link to them all:
Your images didn't post because you didn't use the right format. The image URL's have to link directly to a *.jpg, *.png, or *.gif extension, for instance, here's your first image:

:thumbup:

Anyway, I can speak from experience that all of those Refills did come with a license "card" or paper inside. I have them all. But, like the support tech at Reason Studios said...

Cal

26 Aug 2022

EnochLight wrote:
26 Aug 2022
Cal wrote:
26 Aug 2022

Looks like ReasonTalk will not post my images here is a link to them all:
Your images didn't post because you didn't use the right format. The image URL's have to link directly to a *.jpg, *.png, or *.gif extension, for instance, here's your first image:

:thumbup:

Anyway, I can speak from experience that all of those Refills did come with a license "card" or paper inside. I have them all. But, like the support tech at Reason Studios said...
Well, damn...

Any idea WHERE or how to find a copy of this with code? I have been looking for this Refill for a decade!!

Is it possible someone can sell me their license and transfer to my account? Seems possible with the representatives emails.

EnochLight

26 Aug 2022

Cal wrote:
26 Aug 2022
Well, damn...

Any idea WHERE or how to find a copy of this with code? I have been looking for this Refill for a decade!!

Is it possible someone can sell me their license and transfer to my account? Seems possible with the representatives emails.
I mean, aside from posting a thread that indicates you're looking to legitimately buy (with license transfer) and waiting/hoping.... pretty much no. These products have been out of print for some time - for many years, so eBay and other second hand shops are going to likely be your best bet.

DaveyG

26 Aug 2022

@ OP. Unless the stuff you make with those refills is destined for commercial release I'd say just buy the discs and and enjoy them. They have been "out of print" for some time so it's not like you are depriving RS of some income.

EnochLight

26 Aug 2022

DaveyG wrote:
26 Aug 2022
@ OP. Unless the stuff you make with those refills is destined for commercial release I'd say just buy the discs and and enjoy them.
^^ THIS ^^

:clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:

Cal

26 Aug 2022

DaveyG wrote:
26 Aug 2022
@ OP. Unless the stuff you make with those refills is destined for commercial release I'd say just buy the discs and and enjoy them. They have been "out of print" for some time so it's not like you are depriving RS of some income.
Recently this year, I've been taking my music very seriously and shopping my music to mid-level artists. So yes I will be using them commercially.

I think there's a law that says if you own the original discs you own the rights to use them. I think.

I have no idea why Reason just doesn't sell them digitally? I doubt they had a timed license on their own sampled stuff. This is like The Beatles having to pull their albums from the internet because they used Abbey Roads equipment.

DaveyG

26 Aug 2022

Cal wrote:
26 Aug 2022
DaveyG wrote:
26 Aug 2022
Recently this year, I've been taking my music very seriously and shopping my music to mid-level artists. So yes I will be using them commercially.

I think there's a law that says if you own the original discs you own the rights to use them. I think.

I have no idea why Reason just doesn't sell them digitally? I doubt they had a timed license on their own sampled stuff. This is like The Beatles having to pull their albums from the internet because they used Abbey Roads equipment.
You might need to look elsewhere for your legally-watertight Abbey Roads sounds. Is there a particular instrument you are looking for? There have been various other sample libraries of most of that stuff. For example, Mrs Mill's Piano is available from Spitfire Audio. Tell us what you need.

Cal

26 Aug 2022

DaveyG wrote:
26 Aug 2022
Cal wrote:
26 Aug 2022

You might need to look elsewhere for your legally-watertight Abbey Roads sounds. Is there a particular instrument you are looking for? There have been various other sample libraries of most of that stuff. For example, Mrs Mill's Piano is available from Spitfire Audio. Tell us what you need.
Yeah man thanks!

I was actually so frustrated last year that I started an "Abbey Roads Keyboards" substitute list that included SpitFires piano. I need to find the list but there was another company that multi-sampled another instrument from Abbey Road too.

Which Keyboards do I need? ALL of them! :D

I'ma HUGE keyboard/Synth fan so yeah. All of them.

EnochLight

26 Aug 2022

Cal wrote:
26 Aug 2022
In this case, this is false. Refills are sold as software and you are actually buying a license, not the disc. At least that's how these particular Refills were sold originally.

Aosta

26 Aug 2022

EnochLight wrote:
26 Aug 2022
Cal wrote:
26 Aug 2022
In this case, this is false. Refills are sold as software and you are actually buying a license, not the disc. At least that's how these particular Refills were sold originally.
Yes, owning the discs is not the issue, to use those refills commercially you would need the registration card proving you own the license for the content on the discs.
Tend the flame

Cal

28 Aug 2022

Aosta wrote:
26 Aug 2022
EnochLight wrote:
26 Aug 2022

Yes, owning the discs is not the issue, to use those refills commercially you would need the registration card proving you own the license for the content on the discs.

Update! The seller has found the original registration cars! His reply below after I asked if it was registered to his Reason account:

"I dug around yesterday evening and I have good news!!!!

Your purchase has grown to include the original insert cards with the registration codes and license numbers for both software installations along with the key map for Drum Kits 2.0 & the Guide to Abbey Road Keyboards booklet."

(Note: I also bought the drum kits but wasn't too interested in them.)

Now my question is, do I legally own the software now? What if it was registered years ago? The seller didn't answer my question about his Reason account, I'm convinced he is not the original owner of these discs and acquired them. His eBay page is filled with CD/DVD-ROMs as if he just found them or something:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/miguelbuys/m.h ... pg=&_from=

I did ask where the Refill came from.

Billy+

28 Aug 2022

Cal wrote:
28 Aug 2022
Aosta wrote:
26 Aug 2022

Update! The seller has found the original registration cars! His reply below after I asked if it was registered to his Reason account:

"I dug around yesterday evening and I have good news!!!!

Your purchase has grown to include the original insert cards with the registration codes and license numbers for both software installations along with the key map for Drum Kits 2.0 & the Guide to Abbey Road Keyboards booklet."

(Note: I also bought the drum kits but wasn't too interested in them.)

Now my question is, do I legally own the software now? What if it was registered years ago? The seller didn't answer my question about his Reason account, I'm convinced he is not the original owner of these discs and acquired them. His eBay page is filled with CD/DVD-ROMs as if he just found them or something:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/miguelbuys/m.h ... pg=&_from=

I did ask where the Refill came from.
If you can't register the license or the current license holder doesn't transfer the license then you can't legally use the samples in a commercial way.

Best advice I could give is simply don't buy second hand refills especially when using them commercially...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2022

Just buy it. You’ll maybe never be on Top of the Pops and RS won’t notice. It’s a great refill.
If you’re really worried about Abbey Road or Propellerheads taking you to court for your number one hit single then disguise the sounds behind some reverb or something.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jam-s

28 Aug 2022

If you have the original disc(s) and the license code(s). You are supposed to be the legal owner of the Refills. Thus when registering the code fails, then RS support should be able to help you as you can supply photos of these as proof of ownership.

MuttReason

28 Aug 2022

This thread has sent me off to my Refills folder because I was *sure* I bought this Abbey Road Refill years ago and it was sitting neglected in the more than 150 Refills I’ve gathered over the years since Reason v1… so I decided to dig it out and have a play. And… it’s not there. Because I didn’t buy it, it turns out. I am now intrigued (I still love a good Refill with vintage instruments on it) so may find myself following in the OP’s footsteps and trawling eBay. Good info on this thread ahead of that… v useful, thanks all.

• Information