Looking for "Reason to RRP" Workflow Ideas/Tips

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
selig
RE Developer

26 Aug 2022

Hi all, I'm new to trying to insert RRP into my usual workflow, and wondering what others are doing (especially those doing it for a while).

What is your typical way of moving a project started in Reason to another DAW/RRP to continue work on the song?
What are the most common 'gotchas' and 'things I learned along the way'?
Do you start songs differently knowing you'll be moving them eventually?
How do you deal with VSTs from Reason? What about Players?

What else should I know to make this transition easier?
Selig Audio, LLC

Jac459

26 Aug 2022

Well I don't exactly qualify on the 'for a while' but I can give you my perspective.

When I decided to try bitwig, I imposed myself to move a finished song from reason into biwig before switching from trial to paid version.
At this time I was frustrated by the bad compatibility of izotope products with reason so I decided to move my song out of reason to mix and master it in bitwig.
I could have just bounced the track but decided to go the hard say by moving the whole song, reproducing all the automations and sound to bitwig.

I have found it a tedious and painful job. The song I moved was quite simple as per my initial memory but when I started to move I discovered I did much more changes than I thought in reason and I had a very hard time to really move it to bitwig.
Some presets were in my memory untouched and in fact rediscovering the song, I discovered they were very changed and I had to individually save temporary presets to reload in bitwig.

So basically I really don't recommend porting songs from reason to another daw if it is what you have in mind. You could certainly do better than I did but I doubt it won't stay a painful process.

What really works very well for me on the RRP is by composing directly on the RRP using the players and step sequencers of reason to play and find inspiration. I don't use anymore the sequencer of reason at all.
This work very well for me because bitwig resonate in me and help me find a kind of inspiration. AND, the RRP also give me another type of inspiration.
It feel like the traditional author in front of a white empty sheet. Except that here there are 2 sheets multiplying the chance of inspiration.
After a few months of usage, I find the songs I have created this way as good or better than my old ones but more importantly I was able to create faster and without too long period without inspiration.

For the VST I don't use them with RRP of course but directly in the host. And generally I moved the RE available as VST to the vst world. Generally I go for RRP for the players and the 'star' synths for me like grain, Friktion, expanse, zero, oberon, nostromo or antidote. And of course I use also a lot all the great FX of reason with VSTs, I have in my last track a pigment feeding a rvx vocoder or a serum bass in an alligator, it is very fun.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

huggermugger

26 Aug 2022

So far, my primary use of the RRP in Logic is for the Players, sequencing devices, and Utilities. I manage nicely without Reason's instruments and effects since Logic plus third party AU plugins offers a banquet of sound options.

PhillipOrdonez

26 Aug 2022

No porting per se. If i start a project in Reason knowing it will be finished in another daw, I'll bounce the audio and midi, and I will not do drums in Reason, I rather do them later in the RRP.

Billy+

26 Aug 2022

I jumped ship to Live 11 Suite and although I initially intended to use RRP I found using vst's and the included devices much easier so I'm actually doing things the other way round when I want to use Reason devices :?

If I feel like using Capitan or Scaler I start in Live as midi routing is available then save out the midi and patches then open it in Reason as I'm still not enjoying the sequencer as much as I do with Reason.

I guess I'm going to have to keep forcing myself to stick to Live and understand it a bit more but 20 years in Reason standalone is a lot to learn in another daw and the biggest drawback is that you can't route into different racks with RRP ;)

guitfnky

26 Aug 2022

I moved a few projects to Live last year and it was a pain in the ass. I replicated the channel settings as best I could using the RRP channel devices but found in a few cases I had to eyeball them because the values weren’t the same in the rack as in the actual channels in Reason. that was the first time I’d really wished Reason would allow you to type in exact values. other plugins I just saved as presets and imported, so that part was pretty painless.

like Billy said though, after that I ended up finding myself using RRP less and less. now I generally will only use RRP if I specifically want to use Grain—it’s the only must-have device in Reason for me.

it doesn’t hurt that Live allows most of the interconnectivity I use in Reason. I don’t think I’ve encountered a case of not being able to do something in Live that I wanted and could’ve done in Reason. the racks and chains in Live definitely take some getting used to, but I enjoy the much cleaner presentation (i.e. not having devices scattered all over the rack like in Reason).
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Jac459

26 Aug 2022

guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2022
I moved a few projects to Live last year and it was a pain in the ass. I replicated the channel settings as best I could using the RRP channel devices but found in a few cases I had to eyeball them because the values weren’t the same in the rack as in the actual channels in Reason. that was the first time I’d really wished Reason would allow you to type in exact values. other plugins I just saved as presets and imported, so that part was pretty painless.

like Billy said though, after that I ended up finding myself using RRP less and less. now I generally will only use RRP if I specifically want to use Grain—it’s the only must-have device in Reason for me.

it doesn’t hurt that Live allows most of the interconnectivity I use in Reason. I don’t think I’ve encountered a case of not being able to do something in Live that I wanted and could’ve done in Reason. the racks and chains in Live definitely take some getting used to, but I enjoy the much cleaner presentation (i.e. not having devices scattered all over the rack like in Reason).
Well, I think you are right saying that you can do almost everything in ableton, but I would argue it is the case for most of our gears. Serum can do a lot of sounds very similar to spire, predator 3 had a huge overlap compare to pigments...
And all you do with players you could do also with the piano roll...
To me it is all about workflow, the main advantage of reason is that it brings a rich workflow, different from the one you have in your daw. If you compare it with another synth vst, I don't think you have any vst with an arpegiator/step sequencer going nearly as far as what you can do with reason.
That's why I still use reason maybe 30% of the time in bitwig (ie much more than any other plugins I owns).
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

guitfnky

27 Aug 2022

Jac459 wrote:
26 Aug 2022
guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2022

Well, I think you are right saying that you can do almost everything in ableton, but I would argue it is the case for most of our gears. Serum can do a lot of sounds very similar to spire, predator 3 had a huge overlap compare to pigments...
And all you do with players you could do also with the piano roll...
To me it is all about workflow, the main advantage of reason is that it brings a rich workflow, different from the one you have in your daw. If you compare it with another synth vst, I don't think you have any vst with an arpegiator/step sequencer going nearly as far as what you can do with reason.
That's why I still use reason maybe 30% of the time in bitwig (ie much more than any other plugins I owns).
I used to prefer the Reason workflow, but after spending a month or two in Live realized I’d only really preferred the Reason workflow because I was so familiar with it.

as for all that synth stuff—I don’t really follow. I don’t care about arpeggiators or step sequencers, and rarely use Players. I play most of what I need by hand because those tools tend to sound incredibly unnatural, robotic, and lifeless to my ears. the only MIDI generation tool I’ve used that doesn’t is Rayzoon Jamstix, which I use for drums, and of course you can’t use that in Reason. I have Pigments and the Ableton Suite/Bitwig Studio instruments and that’s plenty for me, most of the time. occasionally I’ll use Friktion or one of the other Reason synths I have in RRP, but generally don’t reach for them (except for the aforementioned Grain—which is the only synth I guess I can say I actually love, so kudos to RS for that!)

Jac459

27 Aug 2022

guitfnky wrote:
27 Aug 2022
I used to prefer the Reason workflow, but after spending a month or two in Live realized I’d only really preferred the Reason workflow because I was so familiar with it.

as for all that synth stuff—I don’t really follow. I don’t care about arpeggiators or step sequencers, and rarely use Players. I play most of what I need by hand because those tools tend to sound incredibly unnatural, robotic, and lifeless to my ears. the only MIDI generation tool I’ve used that doesn’t is Rayzoon Jamstix, which I use for drums, and of course you can’t use that in Reason. I have Pigments and the Ableton Suite/Bitwig Studio instruments and that’s plenty for me, most of the time. occasionally I’ll use Friktion or one of the other Reason synths I have in RRP, but generally don’t reach for them (except for the aforementioned Grain—which is the only synth I guess I can say I actually love, so kudos to RS for that!)
I only partially agree with you :-), but I think it is quite healthy that in a music production forum we don't have all the same tastes, workflows and all.

To me the big big problem of RRP is when it is used as a loader for synth... Like I want to use grain (we have this passion in common), I need to load the whole heavy RRP in order to access the Grain.
So basically, the RRP is a disadvantage for Grain because it is so heavy to use it.

On the other hand, RRP is also an absolute beast of modular environment that should put to shame any other synth in the market. The variety of capacity in RRP is so immensely huge, it is like a modular instrument but each module is a synth itself. It really is a beast. Like if you take pigments 3.5, praised for it's versatility, it just have 20% of RRP versatility in my view...
The problem is reason doesn't market it very well.
To me a killer feature of RRP would be to have much much more combinator 2 presets showcasing this power and combinator presets .... accessible as presets (fxp format I think) from bitwig or ableton. Like serum is doing for example.
That would encourage us, users to use much more RRP as a modular synth beast, and not a collection of individual synths...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

guitfnky

27 Aug 2022

Jac459 wrote:
27 Aug 2022
guitfnky wrote:
27 Aug 2022

I only partially agree with you :-), but I think it is quite healthy that in a music production forum we don't have all the same tastes, workflows and all.

To me the big big problem of RRP is when it is used as a loader for synth... Like I want to use grain (we have this passion in common), I need to load the whole heavy RRP in order to access the Grain.
So basically, the RRP is a disadvantage for Grain because it is so heavy to use it.

On the other hand, RRP is also an absolute beast of modular environment that should put to shame any other synth in the market. The variety of capacity in RRP is so immensely huge, it is like a modular instrument but each module is a synth itself. It really is a beast. Like if you take pigments 3.5, praised for it's versatility, it just have 20% of RRP versatility in my view...
The problem is reason doesn't market it very well.
To me a killer feature of RRP would be to have much much more combinator 2 presets showcasing this power and combinator presets .... accessible as presets (fxp format I think) from bitwig or ableton. Like serum is doing for example.
That would encourage us, users to use much more RRP as a modular synth beast, and not a collection of individual synths...
RRP is a beast of a modular environment, for sure. I just don’t need that as much as I’d thought. you get used to working in the framework you have, so for me, once I switched from using Reason as a DAW, I found myself using less modular stuff in general, and the music isn’t hurting at all for it. I’m relearning that modularity is really only a nice-to-have—certainly not a necessity for creating great music. one might argue that it is necessary for certain genres, but that’s a different argument for a different day, I suppose.

selig
RE Developer

27 Aug 2022

Lots of interesting insights so far, thanks everyone.
Looks like a ‘workflow’ from Reason to another DAW is less likely (for me) than simply using RRP in any other DAW from the start…
Selig Audio, LLC

Billy+

27 Aug 2022

selig wrote:
27 Aug 2022
Looks like a ‘workflow’ from Reason to another DAW is less likely than simply using RRP in any other DAW from the start…
If Reason had a few more export features/options that might make moving a project easier but as things stand your much better off sticking to the daw you started in than trying to transfer.

RRP works just like any other plugin as I'm sure you know, what makes the difference in weather the daw has an included tool / device that's quicker or less resource hungry.

Jac459

27 Aug 2022

guitfnky wrote:
27 Aug 2022
RRP is a beast of a modular environment, for sure. I just don’t need that as much as I’d thought. you get used to working in the framework you have, so for me, once I switched from using Reason as a DAW, I found myself using less modular stuff in general, and the music isn’t hurting at all for it. I’m relearning that modularity is really only a nice-to-have—certainly not a necessity for creating great music. one might argue that it is necessary for certain genres, but that’s a different argument for a different day, I suppose.
Yeah, you're right, it really depends on the genre you are trying to do and your own style to exploit this genre.

Reason as a DAW is kind of EDM oriented but able to do much more than this genre.
As an RRP, it really shines for sound creation and big fun modular exploration. If you don't need that then it is too heavy compared to a normal VST.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

27 Aug 2022

Billy+ wrote:
27 Aug 2022
If Reason had a few more export features/options that might make moving a project easier but as things stand your much better off sticking to the daw you started in than trying to transfer.

RRP works just like any other plugin as I'm sure you know, what makes the difference in weather the daw has an included tool / device that's quicker or less resource hungry.
But then I would argue that if you use it as "any" plugin, you will end up not liking it as it is definitely way heavier...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Billy+

27 Aug 2022

Jac459 wrote:
27 Aug 2022
Billy+ wrote:
27 Aug 2022

But then I would argue that if you use it as "any" plugin, you will end up not liking it as it is definitely way heavier...
Isn't that true for many plugins "some are resource hungry" you choose to use them because it does something you like.

Jac459

27 Aug 2022

Billy+ wrote:
27 Aug 2022
Jac459 wrote:
27 Aug 2022

Isn't that true for many plugins "some are resource hungry" you choose to use them because it does something you like.
What I mean is that it is resource hungry for nothing, it is loading 40 synths, effects, players, all this wiring capabilities just for somebody to use maelstrom, it is very very very bad (maybe not the worst because of some badly coded VST, but here it would not be a problem of code but design).

If at the end everybody is using the RRP to load one synth by RRP instance, they should ditch the RRP to sell the synths individually, that would bring them more cache...

So again my point is to really make the RRP something that people embrace has a modular environment... If not, just issue Friktion, Europa, Grain or Kong as VSTs, a lot of people would buy...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

carvingcode

27 Aug 2022

Jac459 wrote:
27 Aug 2022
So again my point is to really make the RRP something that people embrace has a modular environment... If not, just issue Friktion, Europa, Grain or Kong as VSTs, a lot of people would buy...
Reason issued Europa as a VST many years back. If that sold well, it seems they would have followed that with other VSTs.

Jac459

27 Aug 2022

carvingcode wrote:
27 Aug 2022
Jac459 wrote:
27 Aug 2022
Reason issued Europa as a VST many years back. If that sold well, it seems they would have followed that with other VSTs.
That's true and my preference would be that they develop more features to make us appreciate the RRP as a whole... But that's just me...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Billy+

27 Aug 2022

carvingcode wrote:
27 Aug 2022
Jac459 wrote:
27 Aug 2022
I have it, and tried to use it - but it crashes loads. Whatever the technical difference between RRP and the vst version is I certainly don't plan on reinstalling the standalone Europa.

zoidkirb

27 Aug 2022

They were asking $150 for Europa Vst which is kind of insane.
Sure it's a nice synth but pretty shallow compared to Serum.

Serum, for a similar price which has way more features and regular updates over the years vs Europa with I believe it's one update (adding wavetable loading)

I'd say in the Vst world, the max price tag RS could get away with would be $30 per device as there's so much competition out there but I think they'd never want to devalue their whole ecosystem like that.

Billy+

27 Aug 2022

zoidkirb wrote:
27 Aug 2022

Serum, for a similar price which has way more features and regular updates over the years vs Europa with I believe it's one update (adding wavetable loading)

I'd say in the Vst world, the max price tag RS could get away with would be $30 per device as there's so much competition out there but I think they'd never want to devalue their whole ecosystem like that.
I think RS prices are ridiculous compared with vst prices especially the players, I mean seriously £64 for a player :o even the current £28 is pushing the upper limit of value vs function given that we've never seen any new features added and that was before the global economic crisis ;) and I'm still waiting for the rewards section to actually be rewarding, a 25 point voucher is close to £€$500 :shock: still at least things have started to improve :clap: now the points don't expire and the sale discount is available for the limited devices in the reward section.....

----edit----
Sorry for the off topic selig.

zoidkirb

27 Aug 2022

Billy+ wrote:
27 Aug 2022
zoidkirb wrote:
27 Aug 2022

I think RS prices are ridiculous compared with vst prices especially the players, I mean seriously £64 for a player :o even the current £28 is pushing the upper limit of value vs function given that we've never seen any new features added and that was before the global economic crisis ;) and I'm still waiting for the rewards section to actually be rewarding, a 25 point voucher is close to £€$500 :shock: still at least things have started to improve :clap: now the points don't expire and the sale discount is available for the limited devices in the reward section.....

----edit----
Sorry for the off topic selig.
Agreed, individual prices are extravagant, but they use that as an incentive to push the value of R+ and the full R12.

I'm not so sure about your rewards shop assertion, as I've managed to get Polystep, Bassline, Algorithm for close to nothing and still have 20 points left. I don't consider my self a huge spender by any means. If when I end upgrade to R13 or 14 I'll have enough points for another device or two. You never know what new promotions RS might run to let users acquire more points.

stratatonic

28 Aug 2022

selig wrote:
26 Aug 2022
Hi all, I'm new to trying to insert RRP into my usual workflow

Don't bother with it. :lol:
jk! :) but here are my issues with trying the RRP in Logic:

Dr. Octo problems. I use Octo quite a lot in Reason, but I hate the experience in Logic. No Copy Loop to Track. I hate having to drag out each of the slots to a track (and I frequently drag out more than one at a time) - and sometimes what I drag out plays back wrong. It takes me forever to set anything up. Waste of time. Which is a shame, because I love Dr Octo.

Players. Pain in the ass. With no Send to Track feature, more work-arounds to get midi data on a track. I think there is an FX to buy called MidiFX that will do this, but I just can't be bothered. A simple button to Send to Track like in Reason is still far superior.

RRP Browser. With every other AU device browser, the device stays in the same spot and a small preset window opens up where you click for it. When you click the preset, it loads and the window disappears. With RRP, the device shifts to the right to accommodate the browser, and when you click the preset, it loads, but then you have to hunt down the little circle to close out the browser and shift the device back.

To use just one Reason device in a project. you are loading up the entire plugin - over 1GB in memory.

Not what you wanted to hear as you are looking for workflow idea/tips, but personally Logic has such an embarassment of riches that nothing much else is really needed.

Have fun with your transition! :)

Jac459

28 Aug 2022

stratatonic wrote:
28 Aug 2022
selig wrote:
26 Aug 2022
Hi all, I'm new to trying to insert RRP into my usual workflow

Don't bother with it. :lol:
jk! :) but here are my issues with trying the RRP in Logic:

Dr. Octo problems. I use Octo quite a lot in Reason, but I hate the experience in Logic. No Copy Loop to Track. I hate having to drag out each of the slots to a track (and I frequently drag out more than one at a time) - and sometimes what I drag out plays back wrong. It takes me forever to set anything up. Waste of time. Which is a shame, because I love Dr Octo.

Players. Pain in the ass. With no Send to Track feature, more work-arounds to get midi data on a track. I think there is an FX to buy called MidiFX that will do this, but I just can't be bothered. A simple button to Send to Track like in Reason is still far superior.

RRP Browser. With every other AU device browser, the device stays in the same spot and a small preset window opens up where you click for it. When you click the preset, it loads and the window disappears. With RRP, the device shifts to the right to accommodate the browser, and when you click the preset, it loads, but then you have to hunt down the little circle to close out the browser and shift the device back.

To use just one Reason device in a project. you are loading up the entire plugin - over 1GB in memory.

Not what you wanted to hear as you are looking for workflow idea/tips, but personally Logic has such an embarassment of riches that nothing much else is really needed.

Have fun with your transition! :)
It seems that bitwig allows to avoid some of your points.
Dr. Octo: same, you have to drag and drop.

Players: No, it works awesome. I play to external instruments, I feed rs players with other midi player vst. It just works very well. In bitwig you have a not receiver device as well as a capacity to directly link a track midi to another (no need to play with midi channels). After 15 min of wtf thinking it is just as intuitive.

RRP: had the same issue than you on ableton (or was it reaper) but no, it works perfectly in bitwig. The browser appears smoothly on the left as expected, your plugin doesn't move, no weird effect. (but the browser can't be resized contrary to the DAW version).

Reason memory usage: not sure about this one, but anyway you load only once for sure, I have an air m1 with 8gb ram for travel and it can run 12 or 16 instances of the RRP fingers in the nose.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

selig
RE Developer

06 Sep 2022

Billy+ wrote:
27 Aug 2022
selig wrote:
27 Aug 2022
Looks like a ‘workflow’ from Reason to another DAW is less likely than simply using RRP in any other DAW from the start…

I used to think about sticking to one DAW, and did it for a few years now. I just think I can work more like I want with DAWs like LUNA than Reason for the finish stage.
I'm thinking using Reason to make the basic track, and only moving to LUNA when I feel a track is worthy of finishing. So using Reason as a high end musical note pad, if only because I can work SO fast getting ideas up and running in Reason.

Speaking of LUNA - since I started on Pro Tools v1.0 and stuck with it for so many years, Luna is looking like close to everything I ever wanted from Reason:
Auto punch in/out (with pre/post roll which is also handy for daily use), markers, versions, hide tracks, persistent undo (you can undo after closing and re-opening a file), Edit Groups, Mix Groups, Selection Groups (any selected channels are grouped), smart tool for all editing including notes (meaning, there is no "tool menu" because the tools appear in context - SUPER fast workflow from the first project), tab to edit/transient, basic automation modes, jump to selection start/end (very useful when zoomed in on a long clip), Global (multitrack) TAPE simulation built in 'pre everything', multiple console/channel strip options, fader automation that draws on top of audio waveform, simple but flexible and easy to edit cross fades (reasons are created only where clips overlap, LUNAs are where you draw/move them), batch identical crossfades per selection (handy after drum editing), clip sliding (moving the audio inside the clip without moving the clip start/end - SUPER SUPER handy for any timing editing I've ever done in Pro Tools), Stereo channels have separate L/R pan knobs, ability to name hardware inputs, etc...

Plus there are little workflow and 'quality of life' things like naming multiple tracks without leaving the name window, creating multiple tracks at a time, Spill function (visually 'soloing' only the channels belonging to a sub-mix group), super low latency (2ms) monitoring with plugins (UAD) when recording audio or MIDI (VERY helpful, easy to dismiss), fader/pan/mute/solo available in the timeline view, audio quantize for grouped tracks (like drum kits) with phase coherency, inline editors (you don't leave the main timeline when editing MIDI, all clips on a track are always editable unlike Reason), time based rather than object based selection (with the option to unlink play head and selection), copy faders to cue mix, sends/busses can be assigned to multiple destinations, hardware integration (front panel interface knobs can control software preamp gain stages and move between them, Hardware interface also can be used as multiple monitor selector, click on hardware volume knob to mute it, and that's what I found in the first month alone!
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information