Reason UX/UI improvements I would like to see

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
jakecento

15 Aug 2022

There are many features I would like to see added to Reason, many of which have been requested at length on this forum before. I want to mention a couple of less discussed quality of life improvements that I would really love to see added to Reason to see if anyone else agrees.

Track/Device colors -
I think a simple addition that could improve some peoples workflow and user experience would be more color options for device and track colors. Set a default track color for new devices and new devices created inside a combinator inherit that combinator's track color automatically.
- More color options
- Ability to add custom track/device colors either via RGB value/HEX value/or an image
- Ability to set a default track/device color in the preferences menu for newly created devices (toggle on off in preferences menu)
- Devices created inside a combinator inherit the combinator's track color by default (toggle on off in preferences menu)

User Experience -
I would really like the ability to type in a parameter value with the keyboard for any knob, fader, or interface (possibly by double clicking on the knob/fader/etc to open a text field that can be typed into- Press enter or click outside of the text box to make it disappear).
- Not only for the Mixer and devices- but especially for the faux digital interfaces on NN-XT and NN-Nano, Dr. Octo and Nurse Rex, and RV7000 MkII
- Really just any knob or parameter anywhere in the rack/mixer and beyond
- Would allow for easy copying and pasting individual parameter values between devices.
- Turn on or off in the preferences menu for anyone who does not want this feature and is afraid they may accidentally double click on a knob or fader

I know an argument against this feature is that one should be using their ears- to which I agree- but sometimes you just want to quickly copy a parameter from another devices- but most often I would like this when I am entering values for different velocity layers for samples in NN-XT or NN-Nano, which is so meticulous and would be improved so much if the values could be typed in.

I know this will never happen, but it would be sweet for updates like to this roll back to Reason 11 as I still prefer it. : / However- if these were added to 12 only- it could get me to switch over for future projects.
Reason 11 Suite // Native Instruments Komplete 13
TASCAM Model 12 // Alesis Elevate 4
Windows 10 Home 64x // i7-8750H // 16GB RAM

huggermugger

15 Aug 2022

jakecento wrote:
15 Aug 2022

User Experience -
I would really like the ability to type in a parameter value with the keyboard for any knob, fader, or interface (possibly by double clicking on the knob/fader/etc to open a text field that can be typed into- Press enter or click outside of the text box to make it disappear).
100% agree.

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 Aug 2022

Low DPI support

rorystorm

18 Aug 2022

huggermugger wrote:
15 Aug 2022
jakecento wrote:
15 Aug 2022

User Experience -
100% agree.
+1. Just this would make my user experience a hundred times better

StephenHutchinson

18 Aug 2022

jakecento wrote:
15 Aug 2022

User Experience -

- Not only for the Mixer and devices- but especially for the faux digital interfaces on NN-XT and NN-Nano, Dr. Octo and Nurse Rex, and RV7000 MkII

- Really just any knob or parameter anywhere in the rack/mixer and beyond

- Turn on or off in the preferences menu for anyone who does not want this feature and is afraid they may accidentally double click on a knob or fader
I thought... way back in the day.. you could actually double-click the entry values and change them. I just re-installed my copy of Reason 1.01 on a laptop and it seems even from the very beginning, you couldn't do that. Maybe some later version, like Record allowed it but at this point, I somehow doubt it.

The ONE feature I'd really kill for in Reason, is the simple ability to DOUBLE-CLICK a knob or button etc WITHOUT HAVING TO ALWAYS HOLD DOWN THE DAMN COMMAND/CONTROL KEY. Seriously, almost every other DAW I know of does not have this restriction. I honestly don't get the point of it. I doubt if it's a patent issue or whatnot. It's just highly annoying, and always has been I guess. If there is some kind of workaround or key/mouse binding thing I can use to override this, that would be fantastic.
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

• Information