Reason Studios 13 or 14 (Future Talk)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
simonphinix1986

11 Aug 2022

I don't know if Reason Studios will skip a version but I wanted to start a discussion. What are your wish lists for the new version that is coming?

I wish Reason Studios would clearly separate the subscription model from the Reason Studios 12 software.
Don't get me wrong, but I've had my software since Propellerhead Reason 7 and I'm used to it.
Now that many manufacturers are offering samples, Reason Studios has jumped on the bandwagon.
There is splice, there are producer loops etc etc.

I also wished for many small nuances to be improved. In general the software the DAW is very good and Reason has come a long way.
If changes come too big in new steps that are too big, you first have to adjust yourself again.

Also, I wish that previous versions weren't just left behind or left hanging.
A few updates for Reason Studios 9,10 and 11 for example would be good.

That are my 3 Wishes that I wanted to tell you.

What you guys think?

miyaru

11 Aug 2022

Updates and improvements for older versions: as a Reason 11 suite owner I say yes!

My wishes.....I dunno, I think 11 suite is good in completeness, it does everything I want, and for what it doesn't do, I use Live 10 suite LOL.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

QVprod

11 Aug 2022

simonphinix1986 wrote:
11 Aug 2022

I wish Reason Studios would clearly separate the subscription model from the Reason Studios 12 software.
It is separate. You can purchase Reason 12 without subscribing or having anything to do with Reason + same way as you always could.

simonphinix1986

11 Aug 2022

miyaru wrote:
11 Aug 2022
.... and for what it doesn't do, I use Live 10 suite LOL.
Great.

I am also using another DAW
but since Reason 11 you can load
Reason 11 as a VST which is great.

simonphinix1986

11 Aug 2022

QVprod wrote:
11 Aug 2022
simonphinix1986 wrote:
11 Aug 2022

It is separate. You can purchase Reason 12 without subscribing or having anything to do with Reason + same way as you always could.
Yes I agree with you.
But the homepage is full of Reason+.

I would wish that the software was more in the foreground.
I know that Reason 12 can also be bought or updated individually.

miyaru

11 Aug 2022

simonphinix1986 wrote:
11 Aug 2022
miyaru wrote:
11 Aug 2022
.... and for what it doesn't do, I use Live 10 suite LOL.
Great.

That is what I often do, use one or more synths from Reason into Live. And when I use Reason on it's own, my Push2 comes in handy with PusheR2 software. It is so nice to use Redrum with a controller. And there lots of other things nice with a Push2 on your side!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,

miyaru

11 Aug 2022

QVprod wrote:
11 Aug 2022
simonphinix1986 wrote:
11 Aug 2022

Yes, but it's obvious that Reason Studios is full of it's subscriptions. I thing that not everybody likes, including me. No pun intended, but that is how I see it......
Greetings from Miyaru.

simonphinix1986

11 Aug 2022

miyaru wrote:
11 Aug 2022
simonphinix1986 wrote:
11 Aug 2022

Great.

That is what I often do, use one or more synths from Reason into Live. And when I use Reason on it's own, my Push2 comes in handy with PusheR2 software. It is so nice to use Redrum with a controller. And there lots of other things nice with a Push2 on your side!
Whats you favorite instruments and effects?

My favorite instruments are
Lieblingsinstruments VSTs in Reason Studios.jpg
Lieblingsinstruments VSTs in Reason Studios.jpg (1012.33 KiB) Viewed 47268 times

And my favorite effects are
Lieblingsinstruments Effekte in Reason Studios.jpg
Lieblingsinstruments Effekte in Reason Studios.jpg (773.33 KiB) Viewed 47268 times

miyaru

11 Aug 2022

I use Redrum for my drum needs in Reason. Used as a VST is in my case not so much adding things, as the Drumrack in Live is so powerfull - especially with the Push2.

I must say I use Europa and Thor a lot, for basslines I like to use Monotone. Everything is getting used as needed, not only the three mentioned, altough I really like them.

As for FX: I use RV 7000 and The Echo most. For the rest what a song or I need :lol:

For compression I use this Focusrite RED VST plugin:

Greetings from Miyaru.

jam-s

11 Aug 2022

I wish they'd release a new minor version of Reason8 first. This version should just get away with the annoying "This RE is using a too new SDK version" message box you get for each RE that has been updated to a more recent SDK.
When you go back to R8 to use a line6 amp you have to wade through a torrent of those modal pop-up messages first, which is really annoying if you've collected quite a few REs by now.

Then for R13 they could introduce track folders and maybe improve the blocks feature and make midi loop recording work the same way as audio loop recording with its comp mode.

Jac459

11 Aug 2022

Thanks for this good thread idea...

For me, in the same tone as some other posts, I'd line the Reason Rack plugin to be further improved with more specific presets, more combinator, more capacity to navigate the combinator.
Basically most of us we use the RRP as a collection of instruments, effect and players.
For this usage, instead of one reason rack, we would better be with as many small vst as we have devices in reason. So it would be nice to have reason using even more the advantages of having one rack. Combinator 2 is a formidable step forward but I wish more steps for next version.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

dioxide

11 Aug 2022

My 2 wishlist items:

• Clip launcher
• Better handling of tempo for longer audio clips eg. Ableton style warp markers

jonnyretina

11 Aug 2022

jam-s wrote:
11 Aug 2022
I wish they'd release a new minor version of Reason8 first. This version should just get away with the annoying "This RE is using a too new SDK version" message box you get for each RE that has been updated to a more recent SDK.
When you go back to R8 to use a line6 amp you have to wade through a torrent of those modal pop-up messages first, which is really annoying if you've collected quite a few REs by now.

Then for R13 they could introduce track folders and maybe improve the blocks feature and make midi loop recording work the same way as audio loop recording with its comp mode.
There might be a way of hacking that out. I managed to prevent a dialogue in an older version of Reason appearing when it was irritating me in the past. I can't remember exactly which dialogue it was but I remember I definitely did get it to disappear! If my memory serves me correctly, I searched in the Reason.rsrc file using a Hex Editor for the exact text of the error message. I found it with a string inside curly brackets { } with an id and text for the buttons, comma separated. Replicating the same structure (but without modifying the file length at all) and turning the strings into empty "" (except for the id, that remains) and then bringing the curlies in tight around my new array whilst using hex 00 to replace any surrounding characters no longer being used, essentially caused Reason to not bother trying to show that dialogue any more.

Make sure you backup the file before modifying anything! If Reason flat out refuses to load once you've saved your changes or throws an error message when trying to show the dialogue; either you did it wrong, or that dialogue simply can't be hacked out for whatever reason.

Good luck!

jam-s

11 Aug 2022

jonnyretina wrote:
11 Aug 2022
There might be a way of hacking that out. I managed to prevent a dialogue in an older version of Reason appearing when it was irritating me in the past. I can't remember exactly which dialogue it was but I remember I definitely did get it to disappear! If my memory serves me correctly, I searched in the Reason.rsrc file using a Hex Editor for the exact text of the error message. I found it with a string inside curly brackets { } with an id and text for the buttons, comma separated. Replicating the same structure (but without modifying the file length at all) and turning the strings into empty "" (except for the id, that remains) and then bringing the curlies in tight around my new array whilst using hex 00 to replace any surrounding characters no longer being used, essentially caused Reason to not bother trying to show that dialogue any more.
Oi, that's interesting. So far I could not find a Reason.rsrc file in the Reason8 installation directory (only Reason.rpcp). Have you done this possibly with a Reason version prior to Reason6 or is this possibly a mac-only thing?

EDIT: Found the (localised) string in the Langugees/...dll file. maybe editing this could do the trick. I'll try.

jonnyretina

11 Aug 2022

jam-s wrote:
11 Aug 2022
jonnyretina wrote:
11 Aug 2022
Oi, that's interesting. So far I could not find a Reason.rsrc file in the Reason8 installation directory (only Reason.rpcp). Have you done this possibly with a Reason version prior to Reason6 or is this possibly a mac-only thing?

EDIT: Found the (localised) string in the Langugees/...dll file. maybe editing this could do the trick. I'll try.
Yeah I'm on Mac, there'll be an equivalent file on Windows and hopefully the same approach of making the array something like {"id=42","",""} or maybe even just {"id=42",,} with surrounding 00 hex should do the trick. I can't remember the exact structure and the 42 id above is obviously just an example.

Just do a bit of experimenting and with any luck you'll be able to prevent that dialogue appearing and it will just silently not load the Rack Extensions that are incompatible.

Good luck!

huggermugger

11 Aug 2022

I've given up on wishing for anything in Reason updates/upgrades. They can't even deliver what they promised a year ago.

freshkidblaze

11 Aug 2022

I just need the pencil tool to function like ableton's draw tool

danc

11 Aug 2022

huggermugger wrote:
11 Aug 2022
I've given up on wishing for anything in Reason updates/upgrades. They can't even deliver what they promised a year ago.
Like that promise of Reason Studios saying they would be much more vocal and transparent about their activities on Reason Talk. That lasted about a month and then they got back in their dark cave and stopped talking.
Check my Soundcloud:

carvingcode

11 Aug 2022

Interesting that folks think a company should spend limited resources on updating 5 and 6 year old versions of a product that is constantly being updated and enhanced.

I've used Reason since v5. Version 12 is significantly better in every respect.

Peace.

MuttReason

11 Aug 2022

I think I only have two wishes right now. 1) R12 to reach its full potential with all of the changes proposed in the original RS roadmap (which feels years ago but wasn't that long ago really) in place and with the last of the gremlins killed off. 2) RS to get their business into better shape so that 2022-23 looks a hell of a lot healthier than 2021-22. Not much point in setting out what we all want from R13 let alone R14 if the business is still bleeding red ink 12 months from now. They have to get this business into a stronger place or there won't be a R13 or R14 (at least not under current ownership, anyway).

But... assuming those two wishes are granted (and I'm optimistic about both, it's not the first time Props/RS have stumbled and dragged, then recovered later)... For me R13 should be all about the DAW and, linked to that, for RS to reengage with hardware manufacturers so that Remote isn't simply a fading legacy technology kept alive by individual users' ingenuity. One of the great strengths of Reason is that it's the only music software I own that is pretty much as good in plugin format as standalone. I wouldn't say that about MPC or Maschine, for example - both of which IME are not much fun in plugin format compared with standalone. It's a shame though that so little modern MIDI controller hardware supports Reason out of the box (honourable exception being Nektar) when until a few years ago, so many bits of hardware were actually advertised as supporting Reason natively under Remote, it was part of their marketing proposition.

I like RRP a lot and use it all the time. But I also like the DAW just as much. If RS go down the road of dropping the DAW or splitting RRP from DAW as separate products, I think Reason as a whole would become a lot less interesting. I couldn't imagine many people paying £20 a month for a plugin, that's for sure, even one as immensely flexible and capable as RRP. You can buy a LOT of VSTs for £240 a year. Doing that when the world is heading into recession (probably) would be seriously unwise I think.

And IMO it's not tenable to leave the DAW where it is without at least addressing at least SOME of the longstanding requests and gripes from the community. In some respects, the DAW is ahead of many competitors and in others it is miles - years - behind. But when it comes to the DAW, very little I've seen that's been requested from the community would seem to be impossible, in fact the frustrating thing is that many of the changes (eg track folders) surely would not be difficult at all.

Faastwalker

11 Aug 2022

simonphinix1986 wrote:
11 Aug 2022
I don't know if Reason Studios will skip a version but I wanted to start a discussion. What are your wish lists for the new version that is coming?

Will there be new whole number updates to Reason? Will there even be a Reason 13 (unlucky for some! :shock:). I'm not sure I want this to happen. But in regards to the future of RS and product focus I can almost see the whole number upgrades being canned, RS move to an Adobe CC style subscription service exclusively with regular updates to maintain the product, add features, devices etc. The price will also have to be managed to be more favorable. Maybe different tiers of subscription with lower tiers not getting new devices. These would have to be purchased individually. Handy if you are a subscriber but not particularly interested in a particular new device.

Since Reason became a plug-in I really feel like the focus has been shifted to this and away from the Reason DAW. As people have pointed out, here and in other threads, Reason is lagging WAY behind in terms of DAW features compared to other DAWs out there. I guess it's always been playing catch-up. Let's be fair, Reason was never really a DAW until Record came along. By then a lot of the competition had a lot of years on Reason. And newer DAWs (I'm mainly thinking Bitwig here to be honest) have popped up out of nowhere and really put the cat amongst the pigeons. Can Reason DAW compete? So I can also imagine Reason going back to it's roots and again becoming a rack of devices with a sequencer attached, pre-Record era. It will still run standalone, with it's sequencer and the 'SSL' mixer. But don't expect much in the way of development of these areas.

Sounds a bit bleak? It does to me as an exclusive Reason user. I'm just being realistic about where I think this is going. Makes sense for RS I think.

PhillipOrdonez

11 Aug 2022

Future versions, I hope they manage to find a way to have gate and CV between instances of RRP. Like a couple of jacks at the top or even something like a patch bay you could then route to any or every other instance on your session as you desire... That would be so extremely useful. Not sure it is even possible.

Yeah and obviously i want the new versions to have improvements that allow us work faster and have our large sessions neatly organised in the reason daw, please and thank you! 🙌🤗👍

Re8et
Competition Winner

11 Aug 2022

jam-s wrote:
11 Aug 2022

I wish cmb 2.0 would have an automatic 1.0 option (button) , so patch dev, sound engineers, don't have to make two cmb folders for each patch : pre RSN 12; post RSN 12. As it's currently the case now. I don't think it's possible, but I hope to be proven wrong.

jmp909

11 Aug 2022

Looped and Linked alias clips

https://music.digitalhobbit.com/post/10 ... ctionality

Also multiple midi into a single RRP

I want to play one sound on one midi channel and use another midi channel to eg notes play that are linked through the side chaining or have some other kind of affect on each other

(Sure i could split the keyboard but why do I need to?)

Really it should just be an instance of reason with the same mixer etc.
Last edited by jmp909 on 11 Aug 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Neo

11 Aug 2022

AUG and still waiting for R12 to complete its road trip updates.. Yeah not even thinking of 13 let alone 14 lol

Last edited by Neo on 12 Aug 2022, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

• Information