Reason Financials 2021

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jonnyretina

09 Aug 2022

The best thing Reason Studios could do (although whether they have the coding chops to do so given the debacle that is R12 remains to be seen) is to decouple the frontend and backend of Reason. Then they could get a brand new frontend built (maybe farmed out to a 3rd party to do) and then market that entirely separately. Something that would appeal more to the kind of demographic who loves Ableton Live. It could provide a unified interface that does away with the Reason skeuomorphism entirely and essentially just rips off the flat minimalism of Ableton and mimics its session view and clip launching paradigm.

I get the impression Reason Studio really want to latch onto Ableton Live users more than any other target audience (and given the percentage of the market Ableton has, I'm not surprised) so I guess RRP was their attempt at doing that. What would be a better business strategy would be to go after Ableton Live itself and provide a true alternative to users who currently use Live and love its workflow but who would prefer some of Reason Studios' innovations in synth options, MIDI effects and sound design - but integrated rather than through a plugin.

Of course, I doubt any of this will happen. I predict Reason will become RRP only at some point with an integrated shop and rack in a single plugin window.

jlgrimes

09 Aug 2022

jonnyretina wrote:
09 Aug 2022
The best thing Reason Studios could do (although whether they have the coding chops to do so given the debacle that is R12 remains to be seen) is to decouple the frontend and backend of Reason. Then they could get a brand new frontend built (maybe farmed out to a 3rd party to do) and then market that entirely separately. Something that would appeal more to the kind of demographic who loves Ableton Live. It could provide a unified interface that does away with the Reason skeuomorphism entirely and essentially just rips off the flat minimalism of Ableton and mimics its session view and clip launching paradigm.

I get the impression Reason Studio really want to latch onto Ableton Live users more than any other target audience (and given the percentage of the market Ableton has, I'm not surprised) so I guess RRP was their attempt at doing that. What would be a better business strategy would be to go after Ableton Live itself and provide a true alternative to users who currently use Live and love its workflow but who would prefer some of Reason Studios' innovations in synth options, MIDI effects and sound design - but integrated rather than through a plugin.

Of course, I doubt any of this will happen. I predict Reason will become RRP only at some point with an integrated shop and rack in a single plugin window.
I dont think they really need to necessarily ditch their skeuomorphism but that said they need to use it where it makes sense.

They could get Ableton users alot of ways and it isn't necessarily graphics.

1. Improve Blocks. Blocks need a pattern triggering mode for real-time performance. This would probably be more fun than Ableton's Session View.

2. Focus extensively on Piano Roll and making it a very fast experience. Ableton is kind of weak here but they make well of their minimal features by making most commands fast mainly through well thought out key commands. I remember a Logic user came over and saw how fast we were doing drums in Ableton's piano roll and he was thinking "there is no way I can work that fast in Logic".

3. Focus heavy on improving the Arrange view. Have to give Ableton credit. Historically their arrange view was weak but Ableton made constant improvements throughout the years (often via minor releases) and it is now a very fun Arrange view to work in. Much of Ableton's power remains hidden from plain view but is via well thought out key commands.

4. Make REs more powerful and open. REs are alot like M4L in Ableton. REs are more flashier but M4L devices allow certain task to be achieved like performing GUI commands and such. So M4L is often used to add features to Ableton such as chopping notes in the piano roll. If done right alot of users will implement the features themselves to share or sell to the community. Reaper takes this to the next level. I doubt if M4L generates alot of revenue and many users don't care for it, but alot of Abletons best functions are often here, and I'm sure it wouldn't be nowhere as powerful without it.

Thats a few big areas, Ableton has other stuff (Drum Racks, rethinking stock devices vs adding a new one everytime) but I think those few are some of the big areas.

Certain things like performance, ARA, piano roll, Ableton is lacking in and anytime you can beat someone to the punch that can give you more users.

danc

09 Aug 2022

jonnyretina wrote:
09 Aug 2022

One of the main commercial problems I see with RRP is that its quite a TALL ask to expect someone to have to buy (or subscribe to) the whole Reason DAW just to get to use the plugin. Fine if you already own it... but newbies it comes at a massive cost for a plugin (however great that plugin is). If a stand-alone RRP (without the DAW) was like £99 on its own then I think it would attract a lot more interest.

As for offering Ableton Live (or other DAW) users Reason's underlying technology, but not through a plugin might be possible, but would require a major shift in how people consume add-ons to their DAW. Unless you are suggesting building it into Ableton's own proprietary add-on packs, or into their core system.

These days I use Studio One as my DAW and Reason via RRP. I used to create solely in Reason DAW, but I hit the wall in terms of the DAWs limitations and that large projects were really difficult to navigate around and manage (e.g. no folders etc.) There are some great things about Reason's DAW... as mentioned earlier in this thread - like the automation clips are great. I do wonder why other DAWs don't put their automation into "clips" for easy moving around/copying.
Check my Soundcloud:

crimsonwarlock

09 Aug 2022

Eprom wrote:
09 Aug 2022
Reason doesn't have to be a "niche" program if RS finally understands that musicians don't buy a program for the amount of included devices, but for easy of use and features.

Ableton doesn't have a ton of synths and samplers, neither does Logic, Reaper or Cubase.
There is the opposite side to this argument, as many Reaper users think that the fact it does NOT have any serious instruments is holding it back. Also, YouTube will show you that many Logic users actually like the Logic native instruments over plugins.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Eprom

09 Aug 2022

MuttReason wrote:
09 Aug 2022
Eprom wrote:
09 Aug 2022
I see the term "niche" a lot in this thread.

Reason doesn't have to be a "niche" program if RS finally understands that musicians don't buy a program for the amount of included devices, but for easy of use and features.
So for "niche" read: small user base. But Reason does not, in itself, have to be a niche product. It didn't feel niche back in the day when Reason often made the cover story in music production magazines and a lot of producers I knew used it daily. And - I think - it can stop being 'niche' in the future if RS/Verdane turn things round.

Exactly my point.
But RS still thinks that a new Player/Device will draw new users, but as long as the DAW part is so far behind the competition it's user base will never grow as much as it needs to, to keep Reason Studio's afloat.
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

Eprom

09 Aug 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Aug 2022
Eprom wrote:
09 Aug 2022

Ableton doesn't have a ton of synths and samplers, neither does Logic, Reaper or Cubase.
There is the opposite side to this argument, as many Reaper users think that the fact it does NOT have any serious instruments is holding it back. Also, YouTube will show you that many Logic users actually like the Logic native instruments over plugins.
I use Logic Pro A LOT, but not for the included instruments. I use it because it can do everything It needs to do to produce music.

kitekrazy

09 Aug 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Aug 2022
Eprom wrote:
09 Aug 2022

The beauty of Reaper is that it is a just a DAW. That attracts many. It only takes up 14mb of space. Reason bloats your OS drive because they haven't figured out how to make it easier for the user to put their other content on a different drive.

Most people are not gonna switch their DAWs and jump to Reason. Developers never market on why their DAW is better. Only end users think this way.

People use DAWs for different reasons. People who do orchestra stuff are not gonna use Reason.

Raising the upgrade price from $129 to $199 isn't going to win a lot of people over. I thought that kind of loyalty only comes from IK. That shuts the for many casual users. Throwing in new content doesn't always work, while new features do.

Right now the world economy isn't great right now and America is resembling a 3rd world country. Developers probably aren't making money like they want to. Plus there is a lot more competition. I've stopped hoarding plugins because of energy prices and food. No more sample libraries for me.

crimsonwarlock

09 Aug 2022

kitekrazy wrote:
09 Aug 2022
Most people are not gonna switch their DAWs and jump to Reason.
I moved from Reaper (after using it exclusively for more than ten years) to Reason for quite a few reasons. I now use Reason exclusively. Reaper is still installed, as is Cakewalk and Tracktion Waveform. I simply like Reason more than the others, including Reaper.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

bxbrkrz

09 Aug 2022

A poll should ask how many among us moved from daw x they used for years, to exclusively using RS right now :think:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

ksniod

09 Aug 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 Aug 2022
I have literally never used the below bar 😂 and I do tons of audio editing on the reason sequencer!
You would, if you’d use the trackpad of your laptop :-)

zoidkirb

09 Aug 2022

jonnyretina wrote:
09 Aug 2022

Yes their marketing material heavily features the RRP running in Live. Which is funny, because Live already has it's own inbuilt rack system, that in many ways is superior.
Why not go harder after the Cubase users who don't have anything comparable to play with?

I agree, if they want to lure away Ableton users the only true way is to improve the actual DAW further.

RRP is pretty good though, and I think probably brought back a lot of former ReWire users, while saving a lot of main Reason DAW users from just exciting the ecosystem altogether.

WOO

09 Aug 2022

JiggeryPokery wrote:
08 Aug 2022
alipi wrote:
08 Aug 2022
Or is it just a way of hiding additional losses, or just more non-specific conniving methods of tax avoidance?
This :thumbs_up:

https://www-allabolag-se.translate.goog ... r_pto=wapp

Screenshot 2022-08-08 132551.png

Carpainter

09 Aug 2022

Aside from the Rack, Reason's main appeal used to be the instruments, but the plugin industry surpassed Reason in that regard. There are even free plugins that equal or surpass most of what Reason has to offer these days.

So now it's all about using the Rack in another DAW as a plugin, but what good is that if you use a DAW like Bitwig that allows to you do Reason-style patching (and more) within its modular environment or Ableton + Max, which is orders of magnitude more powerful than Ableton + Reason and has a much healthier community? You really have to be in love with Reason's hardware-emulated GUI to stick with it anymore, but that goes out the window when you start loading VSTs.

I often wonder if most Reason users are wedded to it mainly because they spent so much time learning its 'unique' workflow and they fear 'losing' all that time if they jump ship to a modern DAW.

Faastwalker

09 Aug 2022

I don't understand finance stuff. I don't particularly want to either! :-/ My two cents on the state of play - I think RS really dropped the ball with R12. But Reason has been all over the place for a while now it feels like. VST support, the lack of support for 3rd party RE developers, the venture capitalist vultures, the subscription model, Reason as a plug-in, removing the shop from the RS home page, focus on new users exclusively to the determent of the long term user base, the Reason 12 debacle. The list goes on. All these things have caused more than a few ripples to say the least. Reason has not been the focused, sailing on an even keeled ship it once was for a while now. The only way forward for RS is to get their ship seriously in order, get some focus and get things back on course before the ship sinks!

Personally, I cancelled my subscription after it was automatically updated earlier this year to the tune of AUS $199!! I thought at the time, 'what am I getting for this each year? Sound packs I've little interest in, access to devices I was mostly little interested in and don't use now anyway, early access to an update with more holes in it than Swiss cheese, the 'promise' of regular content updates. All the time whilst seeing enticing offers for new users and not much else for the rest of us. In short, RS need to pull their fingers out if they are seriously selling the subscription model on those '10 in a box' sound packs. It's just not good enough. I've got until next March to decide what to do. I'll probably go back to using R10 then either upgrade when it's worth upgrading or subscribe again when an offer I can't refuse inevitably pops up again!

jlgrimes

09 Aug 2022

Carpainter wrote:
09 Aug 2022

I often wonder if most Reason users are wedded to it mainly because they spent so much time learning its 'unique' workflow and they fear 'losing' all that time if they jump ship to a modern DAW.
I think alot of people actually like Reasons sequencer.

For getting ideas down quickly especially for keyboard players, Reason isn't a bad sequencer and definitely isn't the worst in that department.

I used it extensively in the 2000s for making beats and mainly for pre production. It is great for that. For me it starts to fall apart on bigger projects.

In the 2000s it was a lean & mean program that never crashed, almost impossible to push the CPU limits and while the instrument section was minimal, it allowed you to focus more on songwriting.

Jac459

09 Aug 2022

Interrestingly enough RS just pushed a new add on IG for Reaper users to get the RRP.
At least we can't say that their strategy is not clear... We may not like this strategy but their social/online presence is pretty coherent...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Faastwalker

10 Aug 2022

Jac459 wrote:
09 Aug 2022
Interrestingly enough RS just pushed a new add on IG for Reaper users to get the RRP.
Just saw that. It definitely feels like it's ALL about Reason as a plug-in these days :cry:

QVprod

10 Aug 2022

Faastwalker wrote:
10 Aug 2022
Jac459 wrote:
09 Aug 2022
Just saw that. It definitely feels like it's ALL about Reason as a plug-in these days :cry:
I look at this very differently. There’s very little that RPP does that the full DAW doesn’t do. Actually literally just 1 minuscule thing and that’s trigger multiple instruments without a combinator. So showing the rack in another DAW is still showing the capabilities of Reason as a whole.

Secondly, it’s a lot easier to win people into using a plug-in with their current DAW than to switch to using an entirely different DAW. As much as people relent here about not wanting to use or learn something else, I’m sure Reaper users feel the same. But since the DAW and plug-in are a complete package, those plug-in users might just try it out since it’s there.

StephenHutchinson

10 Aug 2022

Faastwalker wrote:
10 Aug 2022
Jac459 wrote:
09 Aug 2022
I have begun to wonder if at some point, RS will just become a VST Plugin company. It would make wayyyyy more sense to do that, than to drag the whole Reason DAW along with it. If you look at where Native Instruments is going in terms of their Komplete Now subscription model, at $10/month, (https://youtu.be/UDrVCwn6FDc), it wouldn't be a far cry for Reason Studios to at some point phase out the DAW completely, and entirely concentrate on the Reason Rack Plugin.

If they brought the pricing down to a $99 USD / year subscription, they could really have something that would appeal to a whole lot more people who already have a modern DAW. RS, of course, have already made forays into getting RRP into other DAWs and with a little bit of jerry-rigging.... getting midi out etc., it would be a whole new ball game.

For me, RRP works amazingly well in Bitwig Studio. I absolutely LOVE that I can add any Bitwig or VST instrument, say a bass for example... load up RRP, add the Bassline Generator in the rack and slide the RRP to the left of my bass instrument and it just works. There is no fiddling with crazy 2 track midi ins and outs and patching nonsense as in say, Ableton.... it is just perfectly simple.

Slap in any VST/VST3 instrument and add another instance of the RRP with an RE effect, slide to the right of the VST instrument and boom... you're done. It just works so cleanly, and with Bitwig's modern DAW it's even better. You get the best of both worlds without having to use Reason's super outdated sequencer.

Here's just a quick example video of Bitwig + RRP you can view and (6 mins 53 seconds):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/anp955vui1vu ... ILbia?dl=0
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

Jac459

10 Aug 2022

StephenHutchinson wrote:
10 Aug 2022
I have begun to wonder if at some point, RS will just become a VST Plugin company. It would make wayyyyy more sense to do that, than to drag the whole Reason DAW along with it. If you look at where Native Instruments is going in terms of their Komplete Now subscription model, at $10/month, (https://youtu.be/UDrVCwn6FDc), it wouldn't be a far cry for Reason Studios to at some point phase out the DAW completely, and entirely concentrate on the Reason Rack Plugin.

If they brought the pricing down to a $99 USD / year subscription, they could really have something that would appeal to a whole lot more people who already have a modern DAW. RS, of course, have already made forays into getting RRP into other DAWs and with a little bit of jerry-rigging.... getting midi out etc., it would be a whole new ball game.

For me, RRP works amazingly well in Bitwig Studio. I absolutely LOVE that I can add any Bitwig or VST instrument, say a bass for example... load up RRP, add the Bassline Generator in the rack and slide the RRP to the left of my bass instrument and it just works. There is no fiddling with crazy 2 track midi ins and outs and patching nonsense as in say, Ableton.... it is just perfectly simple.

Slap in any VST/VST3 instrument and add another instance of the RRP with an RE effect, slide to the right of the VST instrument and boom... you're done. It just works so cleanly, and with Bitwig's modern DAW it's even better. You get the best of both worlds without having to use Reason's super outdated sequencer.

Here's just a quick example video of Bitwig + RRP you can view and (6 mins 53 seconds):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/anp955vui1vu ... ILbia?dl=0
Man this is exactly my setup and I love it sooo much...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

10 Aug 2022

QVprod wrote:
10 Aug 2022

I look at this very differently. There’s very little that RPP does that the full DAW doesn’t do. Actually literally just 1 minuscule thing and that’s trigger multiple instruments without a combinator. So showing the rack in another DAW is still showing the capabilities of Reason as a whole.

Secondly, it’s a lot easier to win people into using a plug-in with their current DAW than to switch to using an entirely different DAW. As much as people relent here about not wanting to use or learn something else, I’m sure Reaper users feel the same. But since the DAW and plug-in are a complete package, those plug-in users might just try it out since it’s there.
I agree, moving to plugin can be a good defensive solution 8f they struggle as a DAW. It clearly open a new market. Their partnership with output proves that.
Also they partner a lot with 'music influencers' who use reason as a plugin and are confortable with that.

Hopefully for the DAW users, this will help bring money and development power to fill the gaps on the standalone product...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

andyhsong

10 Aug 2022

i think they have been focusing on RRP and new devices (and continuing to develop new devices despite being behind in compatibility and sequencer features) because these are what can bring in cash immediately for the company. same with the subscription service..it offers a low barrier to entry to get more people in for quick short term cash, hoping that these new users will eventually become long term users. i think they have gone that way by necessity to increase cash flow by finding ways to quickly expand their user base. it sounds like they still have every intention to make reason a competitive DAW but they need to make revenue first in the short term, so they can continue to work on long term improvements. kinda sucks for us DAW users in the meantime, but as a business it seems like it makes sense what they are trying to do.
I think once reason catches up with m1 and vst3, then modernizes the sequencer a bit, they will be unstoppable. they have carved out a "niche" for themselves which keeps them relevant today, but once the DAW catches up that niche will be the competitive advantage that no other DAW can compete with, which will keep them relevant for the long term. Then if all goes well they can grow and hire more people,etc. so they don't fall so far behind again in the future. I have faith. Reason forever 👐

Eprom

10 Aug 2022

Everyone that is using external hardware to produce music runs into Reason's limitations fast!

When Reason came out it was the answer to all my problems with a studio full of 19" racks and tons of MIDI cables. I sold most of my synths/effect units and went full on software. And as long as you keep it all in the software domain it works fine, but.. over the last few years I bought a lot of hardware synths again. And i'm not the only one. Classic synths are all the rage and so is Eurorack equipment. But Reason isn't suitable as the main hub for a complete studio. The sole lack of being able to send Midi sync over different interface outputs is a reason alone to go for another DAW.

So again, RS please update your sequencer! We have devices enough now.

chimp_spanner

10 Aug 2022

Eprom wrote:
10 Aug 2022
Everyone that is using external hardware to produce music runs into Reason's limitations fast!

When Reason came out it was the answer to all my problems with a studio full of 19" racks and tons of MIDI cables. I sold most of my synths/effect units and went full on software. And as long as you keep it all in the software domain it works fine, but.. over the last few years I bought a lot of hardware synths again. And i'm not the only one. Classic synths are all the rage and so is Eurorack equipment. But Reason isn't suitable as the main hub for a complete studio. The sole lack of being able to send Midi sync over different interface outputs is a reason alone to go for another DAW.

So again, RS please update your sequencer! We have devices enough now.
^ Yup. It's the main thing that keeps me in Live, which is sooooo dumb because the workflow in Reason would be *perfect* if I could just attach Players to my hardware synths and have all my drum and groovebox units playing perfectly in time. The ultimate playground. I thought I found a workaround using virtual MIDI and loopback but it removes the ability to send MIDI notes to devices if the port is already being used to send clock. Multiple sync destinations is very high on the must-have list for me.

helmutson

10 Aug 2022

Faastwalker wrote:
10 Aug 2022
Jac459 wrote:
09 Aug 2022
... then they should deliver the M1 native RRP finally. I hate it running Live under Rosetta and killing a good amount of performance. :thumbs_down:

• Information