device that syncs playback speed?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
slessene

19 Jun 2022

is there a Reason device that can do this?

let's say i have a drum loop that's 1 measure long. i want to sync it to automatically play 1 measure, at whatever tempo. no time stretch, just simply playback speed like a sampler or looper

Re8et
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2022

Import sample on an Audio track
Disable stretch and adjust BPM to match the loop manually.
Enter Edit mode double click on clip
Select Bounce to Rex
Export and Save new Rex Sample
Re-import into a Dr. REx.

chimp_spanner

01 Aug 2022

I think what you're describing is a Tape Mode for audio (in Live it's called Re-Pitch) and it's something I've been wanting for years. Atm there are really only three options;

- Manually re-pitch the audio to match the amount of time compression/expansion applied by the tempo change, and get it to where feels kinda natural
- Trigger the sample in NNXT or another sampler and use something like this: http://www.thewhippinpost.co.uk/tools/t ... ulator.htm to apply the correct amount of detuning for the current tempo to play in time
- Load the sample into Grain, set the mode to 'Tape', set the speed to 0 and modulate the playhead position with a linear/ramp shape envelope tempo sync'd to 1, 2, etc. bars

But yeah, these are all workarounds. I would love to be able to just...do it.

freshkidblaze

01 Aug 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
01 Aug 2022
I think what you're describing is a Tape Mode for audio (in Live it's called Re-Pitch) and it's something I've been wanting for years. Atm there are really only three options;

- Manually re-pitch the audio to match the amount of time compression/expansion applied by the tempo change, and get it to where feels kinda natural
- Trigger the sample in NNXT or another sampler and use something like this: http://www.thewhippinpost.co.uk/tools/t ... ulator.htm to apply the correct amount of detuning for the current tempo to play in time
- Load the sample into Grain, set the mode to 'Tape', set the speed to 0 and modulate the playhead position with a linear/ramp shape envelope tempo sync'd to 1, 2, etc. bars

But yeah, these are all workarounds. I would love to be able to just...do it.
Studio One does it too, but . . I want to do it in reason too.

deeplink
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2022

Use Grain, in tape mode, with Env to Position (ramp up), rate as per the length of your sample.

Save it as a patch and stick it in your favourites for ease of access.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

chimp_spanner

01 Aug 2022

deeplink wrote:
01 Aug 2022
Use Grain, in tape mode, with Env to Position (ramp up), rate as per the length of your sample.

Save it as a patch and stick it in your favourites for ease of access.
The only problem with it is that the point where the envelope returns to zero creates an audible pop/click. Kinda annoying. I think in a mix it’s okay, I’ve used it a few times but on its own it’s really noticeable. Tape/Re-Pitch mode in 13 pretty please.

slessene

05 Aug 2022

the Grain thing described by deeplink is basically what i'm looking for but the click thing descibed by chimp_spanner is really annoying. i guess going from 100 to 0 isn't smooth. it even happens when both ends of the loop have silence at the end. i tried using an LFO with the motion set to one shot, and an automated rotary, and it gave a smoother sound but only played half of the sample. tried it as unipolar and bipolar and couldn't get it to play the whole sample. there were some cases where the CV input had some kind of portamento-ish effect and wobbled the playback or wouldn't fully return to the beginning of the sample

Re8et
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2022

slessene wrote:
05 Aug 2022
the Grain thing described by deeplink is basically what i'm looking for but the click thing descibed by chimp_spanner is really annoying. i guess going from 100 to 0 isn't smooth. it even happens when both ends of the loop have silence at the end. i tried using an LFO with the motion set to one shot, and an automated rotary, and it gave a smoother sound but only played half of the sample. tried it as unipolar and bipolar and couldn't get it to play the whole sample. there were some cases where the CV input had some kind of portamento-ish effect and wobbled the playback or wouldn't fully return to the beginning of the sample
Try some of the combi, delete what you dont need, Grain is set to follow sequencer bpm.
Perhaps it's what you were looking for.
In this vocoder patches the Grain sampler works as a carrier for the vocoder, switch to stock vocoder if you like it.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7528962

• Information