RAM question.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2022

My desktop has two RAM slots and at the moment I have two DDR4-2400, 288-pin, Non-ECC RAM modules. Only have two sockets. The PC can take a maximum of 32GB RAM (2x16).
I know I need to have non-ecc and 288 pin but does the speed make a difference. I mean to say do I have to swap out my current RAM with the same 2400Mhz or can I use faster, e.g 3200MHz and will it make a difference? Running R12 so maybe 16GB (2x8) is enough? Thanks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jam-s

22 Jul 2022

Usually you can use faster RAM of the same kind (so DDR4 vs. DDR3 makes a difference and cannot be interchanged), but it might be possible for the CPU/mainboard to actually not drive it as fast as possible. So you might end up paying a premium to faster RAM without any benefit.
So beforehand you have to dig into more detail on what speed is possible with a given combination of mainboard and CPU (and bios/UEFI version).

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2022

jam-s wrote:
22 Jul 2022
Usually you can use faster RAM of the same kind (so DDR4 vs. DDR3 makes a difference and cannot be interchanged), but it might be possible for the CPU/mainboard to actually not drive it as fast as possible. So you might end up paying a premium to faster RAM without any benefit.
So beforehand you have to dig into more detail on what speed is possible with a given combination of mainboard and CPU (and bios/UEFI version).
Aaa, right, thanks. Just to clarify, you mean that I can use any speed but if the cpu/motherboard can only handle up to a certain speed then I would essentially be throwing money away getting any more than what they can handle? What I noticed was that if I go from 4GB to 8GB modules then they're usually at least 2666 as opposed to 2400. As long as I can use the 2666 without any problems then I'm happy. So that won't be an issue as long as it's the same amount of pins and non-ecc?
Also, just running Reason, would you go 2x8 or would you just get the most I can use...2x16?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

22 Jul 2022

The faster stuff will be fine, although it may not run faster depending upon your m/board and settings.

What I would say is don't skimp on RAM. Go for 32GB. It will cost you an extra 40 or 50 squids compared to 16GB but you'll never worry about RAM again, at least with that PC, and future releases of DAWs and plugins are only going to increase the RAM requirements.

jam-s

22 Jul 2022

Yes, you got what I meant. Regarding the amount of RAM: If you use a lot of huge orchestral Kontakt instruments going for the 32GB might be good, but in general 16 GB should still be plenty to have Reason running well.

The question is how long do you plan on using this CPU as newer models tend to also need a new mainboard and new RAM technology (e.g. going from DDR4 to DDR5)? So the decision is on whether to invest a little more into an older platform to keep it going a little longer or to save up for a new rig.
If you're not in a hurry it might be a good idea to keep an eye open for deals on RAM modules and only do the upgrade if there is a good one either for 2x8 or 2x16.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2022

jam-s wrote:
22 Jul 2022
Yes, you got what I meant. Regarding the amount of RAM: If you use a lot of huge orchestral Kontakt instruments going for the 32GB might be good, but in general 16 GB should still be plenty to have Reason running well.

The question is how long do you plan on using this CPU as newer models tend to also need a new mainboard and new RAM technology (e.g. going from DDR4 to DDR5)? So the decision is on whether to invest a little more into an older platform to keep it going a little longer or to save up for a new rig.
If you're not in a hurry it might be a good idea to keep an eye open for deals on RAM modules and only do the upgrade if there is a good one either for 2x8 or 2x16.
Exactly my way of thinking. The only thing i use my pc for other than internet and email is Reason so more RAM for under $100 will be fine I think. Thanks for the help :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2022

jam-s wrote:
22 Jul 2022

Right, I bought 2 x Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz 8GB

https://www.amazon.se/Corsair-CMK8GX4M1 ... r=8-1&th=1

Was looking at kits of 2 but buying two single modules on Amazon was working out cheaper. Also Amazon was waaaaaaay cheaper for the same module than anywhere else I looked. Only difference I could see was in the last two numbers on the series code...c14, c15, c16. I believe this has something to do with latency but I don't think I'm going to notice any difference. Just hope I've bought the right thing now.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

fullforce

26 Jul 2022

What a lot of text. Anyway, use 2 different RAM speeds, and they will run at the lowest common denominator.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2022

fullforce wrote:
26 Jul 2022
What a lot of text. Anyway, use 2 different RAM speeds, and they will run at the lowest common denominator.
Yeah thanks. I know that. Wasn’t intending to mix speeds.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

moofi

26 Jul 2022

Isn´t the lowest common denominator one or if one doesn´t count two? :-D

Also they run at the RAM speed of the lower one of the two, not the biggest denominator, from how I understand denominator.
fullforce wrote:
26 Jul 2022

fullforce

27 Jul 2022

moofi wrote:
26 Jul 2022

Also they run at the RAM speed of the lower one of the two, not the biggest denominator, from how I understand denominator.
fullforce wrote:
26 Jul 2022
You know what I mean dammit!!!! :puf_bigsmile:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

moofi

27 Jul 2022

:-D
fullforce wrote:
27 Jul 2022
moofi wrote:
26 Jul 2022

You know what I mean dammit!!!! :puf_bigsmile:

Steedus
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2022

Next question: is 64 GB of RAM ridiculous? :cool:

I'm planning my possible upgrade to a Mac Studio and it's either 32 or 64 .. I know it's overkill, but I also can't outright disregard it either. :redface:

jam-s

28 Jul 2022

Steedus wrote:
28 Jul 2022

I'm planning my possible upgrade to a Mac Studio and it's either 32 or 64 .. I know it's overkill, but I also can't outright disregard it either. :redface:
If you're planing on running multiple virtual machines running linux or windows on this (at the same time) then 64 GB can be good thing. Given Apples ridiculous premium prices on just about everything, I'd rather save that money and instead invest it into a dedicated server rack to run the VMs if you have to.

Propellerhands

28 Jul 2022

Steedus wrote:
28 Jul 2022

It is never ridiculous, considering how bloated software/games are getting each year. Especially if you are planning on using your laptop/PC for more than 2 years. I think 16 GB is a minimum for music production (even though some can make it through with 8GB, I even used to have only 4GB four years ago and did just fine).

32 GB is what I would go to if I bought a laptop today. Even would consider 64 GB if the price difference was negligible.

So in your case, go for 64 if you can afford it but 32 GB will be more than enough.
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

moofi

28 Jul 2022

I just went for a new computer and while I had to decide wether I go for 32GB DDR5 RAM I actually went for 64GB DDR4 instead.
Simply because I work with many programs in parallel, like 3dsmax, Aftereffects, Photoshop, Reason, many-tab browsers, games, etc.
While I noticed 32GB on the previous machine basically doing fine for many occiasions it could use an upgrade for heavier situations where 32GB weren´t able to handle stuff appropriately anymore. Saying especially in regards to successive working I feel comfortable having gone for 64GB.
Steedus wrote:
28 Jul 2022

Steedus
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2022

Hmm thanks guys. Yeah I’m sure 32 will be fine but recently with a near full hard drive and 16GB I did run into my first ever “your computer has run out of memory…” message whilst using Reason.

moofi

28 Jul 2022

Especially if you are looking ahead, yet anyway, I recommend 64GB :-)
Steedus wrote:
28 Jul 2022
Hmm thanks guys. Yeah I’m sure 32 will be fine but recently with a near full hard drive and 16GB I did run into my first ever “your computer has run out of memory…” message whilst using Reason.

fullforce

03 Aug 2022

Steedus wrote:
28 Jul 2022
That's when you went slightly over the 16 limit and your harddrive choked because of the swapfile. The swapfile is your virtual memory and if the drive doesn't have space yeah, you run out of memory.

32 Should be quite enough though.

fullforce

07 Aug 2022

Steedus wrote:
28 Jul 2022
Oh and another thing, it's always a bad idea to fill up your operating system drive.

Steedus
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2022

fullforce wrote:
07 Aug 2022
Steedus wrote:
28 Jul 2022
Oh and another thing, it's always a bad idea to fill up your operating system drive.
Cheers, yeah just coming to the limits a of 500GB Macbook Pro I guess. I have a 1TB external SSD but it's full too .. I think that's definitely 1 upgrade I'll get if I get the Mac Studio - upgrade to 1TB SSD.

fullforce

10 Aug 2022

Steedus wrote:
07 Aug 2022

Cheers, yeah just coming to the limits a of 500GB Macbook Pro I guess. I have a 1TB external SSD but it's full too .. I think that's definitely 1 upgrade I'll get if I get the Mac Studio - upgrade to 1TB SSD.
Always try to keep at least 10% free space on the drive where your system runs on/from.

• Information