05 Aug 2022

Intel Mac only - could be abandonware?

joeyluck

05 Aug 2022

MrFigg wrote:
05 Aug 2022
joeyluck wrote:
05 Aug 2022
I tried this back when everybody was saying how much better it was than other FM synths, but it didn't really click with me. For $10, I might pick it up for the presets, but I may wait to see if the Plugin Boutique freebie changes by September 6. Not sure I'd use the Nugen Audio bundle.

[EDIT] Looks like the Nugen Audio Focus Elements Bundle offer will end August 31, so I guess there will be something different before the FM8 sale ends.
The NI offer is in until September 6th so you can wait until then and see what freebie PB offers for September.
Edit: Sorry, I think that’s what you just said.
Lol yes, that was the conclusion I came to. I'm willing to wait and see what the next freebie will be since I likely wouldn't use the current one. Might have just as much luck then, but we'll see. Really trying to get the most out of my $10! :D

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2022

joeyluck wrote:
05 Aug 2022
MrFigg wrote:
05 Aug 2022

The NI offer is in until September 6th so you can wait until then and see what freebie PB offers for September.
Edit: Sorry, I think that’s what you just said.
Lol yes, that was the conclusion I came to. I'm willing to wait and see what the next freebie will be since I likely wouldn't use the current one. Might have just as much luck then, but we'll see. Really trying to get the most out of my $10! :D
I’m exactly the same :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

raymondh

05 Aug 2022

Loque wrote:
03 Aug 2022
Thanks for your comments. I added to my few synths. In worst case it is a patch lib with 1200 patches for 12 bucks.
Exactly.
The patches are really good. Complementary to the other FM synths I have.

Jac459

06 Aug 2022

You are scratching my GAS....
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

EdGrip

06 Aug 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
05 Aug 2022
Intel Mac only - could be abandonware?
Quite possibly, by the sounds of things. I saw a tweet from Chris Randall of Audio Damage yesterday, saying that NI, Izotope and Plugin Alliance are one conglomerate now:

'From an objective standpoint, it's going to be interesting to watch this NI/iZo/PA conglomeration get whittled down to its constituent parts by private equity, as they squeeze every possible drop of money from subscribers.

From a user standpoint, wave "bye" to innovation.

You may not have noticed, as a user, but NI and iZotope are the biggest engines of innovation in this business. That torch will pass now. I hope it goes to someone interesting with good ideas like
@Bitwig

This conglomeration was created while the music software was experiencing the "covid boom." That is over now, and the [private equity] firm is left with three companies it paid a _lot_ of money for that can't really sustain the income they expect.' - Chris Randall

This is why we are buying FM8 for £10 and it's likely not good news for any of them in terms of updates.

The end of NI as an innovator, and instead just a catalogue of software and libraries to be squeezed by whoever owns them, would be a hella big deal in music production. It'll be interesting to see what it means for their hardware - Maschine, the Traktor DJ controllers, etc.

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 Aug 2022

EdGrip wrote:
06 Aug 2022
The end of NI as an innovator, and instead just a catalogue of software and libraries to be squeezed by whoever owns them, would be a hella big deal in music production. It'll be interesting to see what it means for their hardware - Maschine, the Traktor DJ controllers, etc.
There'd need to be mass layoffs for that though, right?

EdGrip

06 Aug 2022

avasopht wrote:
06 Aug 2022

There'd need to be mass layoffs for that though, right?
Well, from the same Twitter thread:

'We've seen a couple rounds of layoffs already (hello, iZotope R&D department!) and I imagine this will only get deeper as the PE tries to get its investment back. (Not realizing that "new and shiny" is what pays the bills in these parts.)'

Jac459

06 Aug 2022

It is 'funny' (so to speak) as the same happenned in the financial software sector...
15 years ago it was all 'go vendors', then a lot lot lot of money was made, banks paid millions (as well as there clients) and big big consortiums where funded (like finastra, the super giant of the sector).
Today all the big banks are moving (running) away to develop themselves.
The funds owning finastra and other big groups have behaved so badly that all banks are trying as much as they can to avoid working with them.
(i heard my very destinguished deputy ceo in charge of operations and IT saying 'over my dead body' to finastra sales lol).

If the same happen to the music sector it is indeed a very bad news...
This R&D cut on izotope is quite a clear sign...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Loque

07 Aug 2022

FM8 perfectly integrates into Algoritm (note, this is a original screenshot of the tiny FM8 UI)....

FM8integratesPerfectIntoAlgoritm.jpg
FM8integratesPerfectIntoAlgoritm.jpg (465.27 KiB) Viewed 1538 times
Reason12, Win10

Popey
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2022

Loque wrote:
07 Aug 2022
FM8 perfectly integrates into Algoritm (note, this is a original screenshot of the tiny FM8 UI)....

:shock: is that the only size you can make the plugin!!!

Loque

07 Aug 2022

Popey wrote:
07 Aug 2022
Loque wrote:
07 Aug 2022

Naa, i cheated a little bit with a bug in Reason :-)

This is the original size on 100% OS scaling. Very small IMO...
100perc.jpg
100perc.jpg (162.82 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
Reason12, Win10

Popey
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2022

Loque wrote:
07 Aug 2022
Popey wrote:
07 Aug 2022

Naa, i cheated a little bit with a bug in Reason :-)

This is the original size on 100% OS scaling. Very small IMO...
100perc.jpg
Yeah that is quite small but much preferable to your original image :lol:

arnigretar

07 Aug 2022

Loque wrote:
07 Aug 2022
I have Mac and two PC's, all have FM8. It comes out big. But I have no idea about resulations or anything like that. Maybe you have good specs there. But on my macbook it takes up 1/3 of the screen and on my big PC computer screens it's quite big as well. If I have Reason in 100% zoom it's bigger than Subtractor.

But to the device. I agree with the presets as well. Great presets--and I am coming from FM7, so I still use the 'legacy' sounds and go experimenting from there. And like Loque said, it's great to have the FX section on it's own.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Loque

07 Aug 2022

arnigretar wrote:
07 Aug 2022
...And like Loque said, it's great to have the FX section on it's own.
But the FX cannot be re-ordered, or am i missing something? Man...you see the age of the synth all over the place, excep the sound quality and programming deepness :-D
Reason12, Win10

arnigretar

07 Aug 2022

No I think that's true--you can't re-order them in the synth stack; only pick the ones you wanna use. So if you just wanna use "flanger" you select that, etc. But if you select "flanger" and something that sits above it--it goes again above it in the order on the stack. Yeah, I think it's quite old now in years. FM7 is an old man with a stick today. But like you said--still sounds good :)
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

EdGrip

08 Aug 2022

FM8 is 15 years old and FM7 is 20 years old! I think for a 15 year old interface it's looking pretty good - just a bit small. ;)
In particular, the implementation of the envelope designer was very forward-looking, and especially familiar to Reason users!

I think the XY patch morphing is a great idea and has lots of potential for live use.

The FM8FX device is mainly of interest for using the input signal as an operator and doing FM stuff with it.

I like it. It uses no CPU and it's just a brilliant platform for learning about FM synthesis (which I have a go at, briefly, every year or so. Gradually bits of it sink in!)

It benefits from your favourite external FX to add dirt and warmth and chorusing and compression etc etc.

Well worth anyone's ten bucks.

jonnyretina

09 Aug 2022

FM synthesis is one of those ones where it doesn't matter how old the DSP, because it's digital and not analog subtractive emulation, it still sounds really good all these years later.

Algoritm, PX7 (if you have it), Dexed, FM8, and Sytrus are the ones which seem to be the best FM options available on the market. Aside from the free Dexed, I imagine FM8 for only $12 is likely to be the most cost effective option available right now!

strangers
Competition Winner

09 Aug 2022

The sale is really shopping me. I don't have much of a use for FM8 even after downloading the demo but I still want to get it because why not for only $12? Must. Resist.

Or not.

jam-s

09 Aug 2022

It might also open up a cheap route to upgrade into a bigger Komplete bundle if you're interested in this. (Not sure if that's really the case, but it could be possible).

EdGrip

10 Aug 2022

(or to cheaply upgrade to a future updated FM synth from NI)

ArcoZ

12 Aug 2022

Dexed for 0 bucks - massive library. Much closer to the original hardware. Any questions?

jam-s

12 Aug 2022

ArcoZ wrote:
12 Aug 2022
Dexed for 0 bucks - massive library. Much closer to the original hardware. Any questions?
How can I load my FM8 patches in dexed? *scnr* :puf_bigsmile: :twisted:

joeyluck

02 Sep 2022

I just picked up FM8.

I chose Huracan as the freebie (seems interesting). https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/9552-Huracan
It was either that or the Space reverb.

And turns out I had $5 virtual cash, so got only cost me $5 total :D

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2022

joeyluck wrote:
02 Sep 2022
I just picked up FM8.

I chose Huracan as the freebie (seems interesting). https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/9552-Huracan
It was either that or the Space reverb.

And turns out I had $5 virtual cash, so got only cost me $5 total :D
How much of it was GAS Joey?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information