[solved] Professional Reason Songs

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ReasonOCD
Banned user
Posts: 34
Joined: 04 Aug 2022

Post 05 Aug 2022

Alot of people claim reason can make a professional sounding song standalone with no other processing (Hardware)

However i am yet to hear one? Is this just a myth?

Bla bla from “insert artist here” said in music magazine he only uses reason. Does not count.

Popey
Posts: 1606
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 05 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
05 Aug 2022
Alot of people claim reason can make a professional sounding song standalone with no other processing (Hardware)

However i am yet to hear one? Is this just a myth?

Bla bla from “insert artist here” said in music magazine he only uses reason. Does not count.
What criteria are you looking for to fit your thoughts if you are not allowing artists in music magazines? I am not professional but would have thought anyone making money from music would fit this bill.

Are you specifically looking for people on here who work in the box only who sell their music and what is your definition of professional sounding.

In my humble opinion there are plenty of people who make professional sounding music on here but if they also use hardware I have no idea.

I am sure others may chip in and answer but imo it is more than possible in any daw if you have the knowledge.

MuttReason
Posts: 262
Joined: 28 Jan 2021

Post 05 Aug 2022

What do you mean when you say “no other processing (Hardware)”? Do you mean external hardware synths, effects and drum machines etc used in songwriting? Or do you mean external hardware used in summing and mastering? Or both?

Not clear what you mean because there are many, many tracks produced and mastered entirely ITB with multiple different DAWs and mastering software suites involved… and with no hardware involved.

Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by “hardware”?

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 10371
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 05 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
05 Aug 2022
Alot of people...
Which beside you?

And btw, this is the 3rd thread you created just to complain about Reason. I am watching you...
Reason12, Win10

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 10671
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 05 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
05 Aug 2022
Alot of people claim reason can make a professional sounding song standalone with no other processing (Hardware)

However i am yet to hear one? Is this just a myth?

Bla bla from “insert artist here” said in music magazine he only uses reason. Does not count.
Yes, this is yet another audio myth. The (often denied) "Reason Sound" (TM) absolutely prevents everyone who has ever tried from getting any sort of professional (or even semi-pro) results out of Reason. I think it is that way by design, intentionally making you sound non-professional so you don't go and get a big head. They don't want to make it too easy to just hit a button and get a hit, so I see this as them doing us a huge favor. Makes us stronger, makes us work harder, and thus get better, no?
Who exactly are these folks making these exorbitant claims, and how come no one ever posts examples of their work? I mean, it's not exactly difficult to put your music online these days, so it should be out there.

To be fair, I don't hear any professional results out of any other DAW either. If you didn't cut direct to 2" through a Neve, you are not professional period.
But the bigger question is, even if there WAS but ONE person who ever got professional results out of Reason, as unlikely as that is, what does that mean to the rest of us mere mortal? I mean, just because someone can get "professional" results out of a Stradivarius doesn't mean "I" can get professional results out of one.../s
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 3224
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 05 Aug 2022

😂🤣😂 spot on
The latest release:

Popey
Posts: 1606
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 05 Aug 2022

I am disappointed to hear it has to be 2" tape. Recently had a friend use 1" tape on a song of mine and he claimed to be pro the charlatan.

That tape issue must be why I don't sound pro and nothing to do with my lack of talent.

Thanks Selig 😂

User avatar
Noise
Posts: 436
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Lisbon

Post 05 Aug 2022

"professional sounding song" sounds very boring and clinical. Just give me some good noisy side-b botleg recording of some talented artist anyday.

just to remind that "Clairo" lunch her single (Pretty Girl) in 4 August 2017 and it has a staggering 84,621,796 views and 2M likes. Does it sound professional. Maybe not. Is it good? yes.

I'm sure there are lot of examples of good songs without sounding "professional" (still wondering what that is, maybe something like staged stock photography I guess)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mngtcfc ... reCottrill
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2866
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 05 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
05 Aug 2022
Alot of people claim reason can make a professional sounding song standalone with no other processing (Hardware)

However i am yet to hear one? Is this just a myth?

Bla bla from “insert artist here” said in music magazine he only uses reason. Does not count.
Why does it not count? If they say they've used it, and you can go listen to that song, then that's what it is. Although if you're setting the bar high (as in major commercial releases) the chances that ANY of it was done exclusively in one piece of software, with no additional programs or hardware are slim to none. Lots of fingers in the pie. Lots of people involved at various stages in production.

Also what's your definition of 'professional'? What counts and what doesn't count? If someone makes their living from music and does all their music in Reason, they are by definition professional releases. Myself, I work in the library and production music industry and all my work (and by extension, placements) are entirely Reason powered.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 8051
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Imladris

Post 05 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
05 Aug 2022
Alot of people claim reason can make a professional sounding song standalone with no other processing (Hardware)

However i am yet to hear one? Is this just a myth?

Bla bla from “insert artist here” said in music magazine he only uses reason. Does not count.
I'm sure your "major connections" can help you. :lol:
ReasonOCD wrote:
05 Aug 2022
Personally i’m here to write music idc what the user interface looks like, it was capable of making chart music at reason 2.5 with the correct use of analog samples
Quite the contrarian, you seem to be....
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 3546
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 05 Aug 2022

Nicki Minaj's Anaconda was made entirely in Reason (which is what that producer prefers to use).

Alors on Danse. Also in Reason.

Some tracks from Dj Khalil were made entirely in Reason.

Plus Reason supports VSTs so there's no valid excuse. If you aren't getting a good sound, it's on you.
---

ReasonOCD
Banned user
Posts: 34
Joined: 04 Aug 2022

Post 05 Aug 2022

EnochLight wrote:
05 Aug 2022
ReasonOCD wrote:
05 Aug 2022
Alot of people claim reason can make a professional sounding song standalone with no other processing (Hardware)

However i am yet to hear one? Is this just a myth?

Bla bla from “insert artist here” said in music magazine he only uses reason. Does not count.
I'm sure your "major connections" can help you. :lol:
ReasonOCD wrote:
05 Aug 2022
Personally i’m here to write music idc what the user interface looks like, it was capable of making chart music at reason 2.5 with the correct use of analog samples
Quite the contrarian, you seem to be....
Always have to write something clever? Eh contrarian thats a new one

Anyhow back to the point, Reason hasn’t got the finalisation apparatus to make a track professional as in top 10 chart worthy nothing that can match tubes at all, please dont say scream4 :lol:

If anyone has links to a fine piece of music written & mastered solely on reason i’d love to hear it but more often than not some musical element in the mix will let the track down immensely

And for the record i do have major connections however it doesn’t mean they would sign anything i gave them its still got to be good music & yes they all use hardware on the master when large amounts of money are involved £1000+ pieces of hardware is nothing

Jac459
Posts: 570
Joined: 29 Mar 2022
Location: Singapore

Post 05 Aug 2022

Is Nicki Minaj professional ? Did she mention it in a magazine ?

If they managed to make it professional sounding they must have got lucky...

Lucky artists like the prodigy and their amateurish albums like "music for the jilted generation" were using beast hardware like the roland W-30, with a whopping 80MB of sample memory, 1 LFO, 1 ADSR, and 16 tracks (like the entry level offer of our DAWs lol).

Those guys didn't had more talent than us, they just got lucky to have these kind of hardware. In comparison Reason 12 is very limited and it is almost impossible to make it sound professional.

:-D
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459
Posts: 570
Joined: 29 Mar 2022
Location: Singapore

Post 05 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
05 Aug 2022

Always have to write something clever? Eh contrarian thats a new one

Anyhow back to the point, Reason hasn’t got the finalisation apparatus to make a track professional as in top 10 chart worthy nothing that can match tubes at all, please dont say scream4 :lol:

If anyone has links to a fine piece of music written & mastered solely on reason i’d love to hear it but more often than not some musical element in the mix will let the track down immensely

And for the record i do have major connections however it doesn’t mean they would sign anything i gave them its still got to be good music & yes they all use hardware on the master when large amounts of money are involved £1000+ pieces of hardware is nothing
Just plug the Izotope suite on your master...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

User avatar
Aosta
Posts: 772
Joined: 26 Jun 2017

Post 05 Aug 2022

Eminem's music creator person uses Reason so I guess you can say he does too.
Tend the flame


User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2866
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 05 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
05 Aug 2022
EnochLight wrote:
05 Aug 2022


I'm sure your "major connections" can help you. :lol:



Quite the contrarian, you seem to be....
Always have to write something clever? Eh contrarian thats a new one

Anyhow back to the point, Reason hasn’t got the finalisation apparatus to make a track professional as in top 10 chart worthy nothing that can match tubes at all, please dont say scream4 :lol:

If anyone has links to a fine piece of music written & mastered solely on reason i’d love to hear it but more often than not some musical element in the mix will let the track down immensely

And for the record i do have major connections however it doesn’t mean they would sign anything i gave them its still got to be good music & yes they all use hardware on the master when large amounts of money are involved £1000+ pieces of hardware is nothing
So producers at high levels almost certainly use expensive outboard gear regardless of the DAW the music was written in. I would've thought that's common knowledge. But why set a test for Reason you know it will fail because *every* DAW would do? You're asking a question but I feel like you've already settled on the answer.

In the meantime, you could just enjoy making music in it, or listening to music others have made. Regardless of whether it's 'top 10 chart worthy'. Which I mean, I don't wanna be THAT guy but newsflash...not everything in the top 10s sounds great lol

Marc64
Posts: 678
Joined: 24 Jan 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 05 Aug 2022

Q: Is it made IN reason when using only the reason vst in another daw? More like WITH reason vst.

jamesa
Posts: 58
Joined: 30 Nov 2019

Post 05 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
05 Aug 2022
Alot of people claim reason can make a professional sounding song standalone with no other processing (Hardware)

However i am yet to hear one? Is this just a myth?

Bla bla from “insert artist here” said in music magazine he only uses reason. Does not count.
I think the "myth" is that recorded music as a finished product is always produced by one person using one tool.

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 3546
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 05 Aug 2022

Jac459 wrote:
05 Aug 2022
Is Nicki Minaj professional ? Did she mention it in a magazine ?

If they managed to make it professional sounding they must have got lucky...

Lucky artists like the prodigy and their amateurish albums like "music for the jilted generation" were using beast hardware like the roland W-30, with a whopping 80MB of sample memory, 1 LFO, 1 ADSR, and 16 tracks (like the entry level offer of our DAWs lol).

Those guys didn't had more talent than us, they just got lucky to have these kind of hardware. In comparison Reason 12 is very limited and it is almost impossible to make it sound professional.

:-D
Haha ... I'm referring to chart toppers mate.

But I'm sure you were just joking ;)
---

ReasonOCD
Banned user
Posts: 34
Joined: 04 Aug 2022

Post 05 Aug 2022

jamesa wrote:
05 Aug 2022
ReasonOCD wrote:
05 Aug 2022
Alot of people claim reason can make a professional sounding song standalone with no other processing (Hardware)

However i am yet to hear one? Is this just a myth?

Bla bla from “insert artist here” said in music magazine he only uses reason. Does not count.
I think the "myth" is that recorded music as a finished product is always produced by one person using one tool.
This is true, however such as posting here nobody ever wants to give constructive criticism to help others out thinking they are giving tips/secret knowledge away… thats how it feels to me anyhow

ReasonTalk producers should all be joining together as a team not a sole producer incapable of producing a polished finished piece

Team work gets *hit done :thumbup:

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 3546
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 05 Aug 2022

But I always find this topic interesting.

If someone is telling me they can't make good music in Reason, then why are they using Reason? Why not use the DAWs that they can make good music in?

Of course, the truth is, if you can't make good music in Reason, you probably aren't able to make good music anywhere else. Especially now that it supports VSTs and has audio tracks so that you can record outboard gear.
---

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 3546
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 05 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
05 Aug 2022
This is true, however such as posting here nobody ever wants to give constructive criticism to help others out thinking they are giving tips/secret knowledge away… thats how it feels to me anyhow

ReasonTalk producers should all be joining together as a team not a sole producer incapable of producing a polished finished piece

Team work gets *hit done :thumbup:
Interesting choice of words. "Nobody ever wants to give constructive criticism" doesn't sound like something someone who has just joined would say.

Did you have another ReasonTalk account?

And no, that's just not true. There are tons of threads on this forum of people giving help, so it would be an outright lie to suggest otherwise.
---

Jac459
Posts: 570
Joined: 29 Mar 2022
Location: Singapore

Post 05 Aug 2022

avasopht wrote:
05 Aug 2022
Jac459 wrote:
05 Aug 2022
Is Nicki Minaj professional ? Did she mention it in a magazine ?

If they managed to make it professional sounding they must have got lucky...

Lucky artists like the prodigy and their amateurish albums like "music for the jilted generation" were using beast hardware like the roland W-30, with a whopping 80MB of sample memory, 1 LFO, 1 ADSR, and 16 tracks (like the entry level offer of our DAWs lol).

Those guys didn't had more talent than us, they just got lucky to have these kind of hardware. In comparison Reason 12 is very limited and it is almost impossible to make it sound professional.

:-D
Haha ... I'm referring to chart toppers mate.

But I'm sure you were just joking ;)
I was absolutely 100% joking 😜.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459
Posts: 570
Joined: 29 Mar 2022
Location: Singapore

Post 05 Aug 2022

avasopht wrote:
05 Aug 2022
ReasonOCD wrote:
05 Aug 2022
This is true, however such as posting here nobody ever wants to give constructive criticism to help others out thinking they are giving tips/secret knowledge away… thats how it feels to me anyhow

ReasonTalk producers should all be joining together as a team not a sole producer incapable of producing a polished finished piece

Team work gets *hit done :thumbup:
Interesting choice of words. "Nobody ever wants to give constructive criticism" doesn't sound like something someone who has just joined would say.

Did you have another ReasonTalk account?

And no, that's just not true. There are tons of threads on this forum of people giving help, so it would be an outright lie to suggest otherwise.
Tons of thread in ReasonTalk, tons of super instructive videos in YouTube, we are living a fantastic time where it is so easy to learn and acquire new knowledge...


To me the real problem of this forum is each time I open it, I want to but something new lol...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest