Reason's Demo Mode

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyluck

08 Nov 2021

For those who are new to Reason or who may need a refresher, Reason has a demo mode.

1. Login / Create a Reason Studios account.
  • You will need to create a Reason Studios account to access the downloads, but there is no requirement for payment info upfront and running Reason in demo mode will not cost you anything. https://www.reasonstudios.com/account/
2. Download Reason
3. Launch Reason

4. Select 'Demo Mode'

More about Demo Mode from the manual:
Running Reason in Demo Mode

Demo Mode is only available in the stand-alone version of Reason - not in Reason Rack Plugin.

If you don't have a Reason license, or if you don’t have an authorized computer, you can run Reason in Demo Mode:

1. Launch Reason.
The following window shows up:

Login Window.png
Login Window.png (102.74 KiB) Viewed 23176 times

2. Click the "Demo Mode" button.

Reason launches in Demo Mode. The Demo Mode indicator lights up to the right on the Sequencer Transport Panel:

Demo Mode Indicator.png
Demo Mode Indicator.png (34.22 KiB) Viewed 23176 times

Running Reason in demo mode allows you to perform all operations as in authorized mode, with three exceptions:
• You cannot export audio or bounce mixer channels to disk.
• You will not have access to any Rack Extension devices (except for the included Radical
Piano, Synchronous, Softube Amps, Audiomatic and Pulsar Rack Extensions).
• You cannot open songs.

The only songs that can be opened in demo mode are the dedicated demo songs (file extensions ".rsndemo" (Reason Demo Song), ".reedemo" (Reason Essentials Demo Song), ".reidemo" (Reason Demo Song), ".reltdemo" (Reason Lite Demo Song) and ".recdemo" (Record Demo Song)). Demo songs can be accessed from the “Open Demo Song” item in the File menu.

If you lose the Internet Connection while running Reason with Internet Verification, the program will automatically enter Demo Mode. You can continue to work, and save your songs as usual. When you reconnect to the Internet, Reason will automatically revert to authorized mode and the Demo Mode indicator will go off.
With Demo mode you can still check out the new Combinator, Mimic, the new graphics, the browser and any of the other features that are new to you that are a part of Reason.

If you decide to give Reason+ a spin for 30 days for $1, that will give you full authorized access—meaning you can export audio, open songs, and have access to your Rack Extensions. It will also give you access to every RE made by Reason Studios as well as access to Sound Packs via Companion. But otherwise, the demo mode is still a great way to give Reason a try. It's how many of us had demoed Reason for the first time and new versions as they were released.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 Nov 2021

You can download the latest stable version of Reason from here:
Stable. Hahahahahahahahahaha 😂
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

08 Nov 2021

MrFigg wrote:
08 Nov 2021
joeyluck wrote:
08 Nov 2021

You can download the latest stable version of Reason from here:
Haha ok...stable as opposed to beta. And if "stable" is up for interpretation, that link gives you access to the latest and past versions, so... feel free to download the "latest stable version"—whatever that means for you :D

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 Nov 2021
MrFigg wrote:
08 Nov 2021

Haha ok...stable as opposed to beta. And if "stable" is up for interpretation, that link gives you access to the latest and past versions, so... feel free to download the "latest stable version"—whatever that means for you :D
:)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

08 Nov 2021

It might be a good idea for Reason Studios to enable downloading the latest via a link that doesn't require any account with information on running in demo mode ;)

PhillipOrdonez

08 Nov 2021

You used to be able to export audio in demo mode before 🤔

joeyluck

08 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
08 Nov 2021
It might be a good idea for Reason Studios to enable downloading the latest via a link that doesn't require any account with information on running in demo mode ;)
I don't think account creation is that big of a deal. If that is a road block for someone trying something that might cost them $500, chances are they might not be that into it to begin with? Many demos I use require I provide an email address to get a download link via email or account creation.

But also, it appears no login is necessary to use Reason Studios' BitTorrent links. Not sure if either (login required or not required) was intentional for either of those links.

joeyluck

08 Nov 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
08 Nov 2021
You used to be able to export audio in demo mode before 🤔
It's always been this way from what I remember. You might be thinking about the unrestricted 30 day trial?

The 30 day trials of Reason began with Reason 8. Then those 30 day trials transitioned to Reason+ when it was released. Then it switched to 7 day trial. And now the free trial is no more.

But demo mode has always been there, it has no time restrictions, but only has those same limitations: can't open non-demo projects, can't export audio, no access to your additional REs.

Hope that helps clear things up!

PhillipOrdonez

09 Nov 2021

Could be so that I am confusing the trial with the demo mode... 🤷‍♂️

There's no 7 day free trial anymore? I wasn't aware of that. When did they remove it?

PhillipOrdonez

09 Nov 2021

Hold on I cannot be confusing the trial with the demo mode cause I remember explicitly not being able to load projects yet still be able to export audio so that cannot have been the trial, unless the trial didn't allow for opening existing projects? 🤔

rootwheel

09 Nov 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 Nov 2021
Hold on I cannot be confusing the trial with the demo mode cause I remember explicitly not being able to load projects yet still be able to export audio so that cannot have been the trial, unless the trial didn't allow for opening existing projects? 🤔
I'm pretty sure that Exporting of Audio proper has always been prevented when in Demo mode (Bounce is disabled and Export Loop and Export Song are disabled). However, Export clip to disk isn't disabled and neither is export song-contained sample. You work around the lack of official Master bus export with some clever bussing and then doing a real-time capture of the Master bus into an audio-track input and then Export Clip from within the sequencer - that does work.

kbard

09 Nov 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 Nov 2021

There's no 7 day free trial anymore? I wasn't aware of that. When did they remove it?
You can start reading from here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7524555&p=583626#p583626

Short: they removed free Trial yesterday completely and no free Trial is not the same as that Demo mode described in this thread.

PhillipOrdonez

09 Nov 2021

rootwheel wrote:
09 Nov 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 Nov 2021
I'm pretty sure that Exporting of Audio proper has always been prevented when in Demo mode (Bounce is disabled and Export Loop and Export Song are disabled). However, Export clip to disk isn't disabled and neither is export song-contained sample. You work around the lack of official Master bus export with some clever bussing and then doing a real-time capture of the Master bus into an audio-track input and then Export Clip from within the sequencer - that does work.
Aha! That must be how I got around to it, export clip to disk. Yeah. Thanks, root.

DaveyG

09 Nov 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 Nov 2021
Most human beings would treat a software trial and a software demo as interchangeable terms so having both is only every going to be confusing.

I think there should be one, and only one way, to check out the Reason experience before you buy it and whatever that way is I think it should be free. They could always limit or block access to the sound packs to stop us all creating a new account to download every sound pack made thus far because, let's face it, we would!

Asking people to pay for a trail, even if it is a paltry amount, will turn off many. But it seems that whoever is making these decisions at RS needs to make one and stick to it. 30 day free trial, 7 day free trial, 30 day paid trial. Just make your bleedin' mind up!

joeyluck

09 Nov 2021

DaveyG wrote:
09 Nov 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 Nov 2021
Most human beings would treat a software trial and a software demo as interchangeable terms so having both is only every going to be confusing.

I think there should be one, and only one way, to check out the Reason experience before you buy it and whatever that way is I think it should be free. They could always limit or block access to the sound packs to stop us all creating a new account to download every sound pack made thus far because, let's face it, we would!

Asking people to pay for a trail, even if it is a paltry amount, will turn off many. But it seems that whoever is making these decisions at RS needs to make one and stick to it. 30 day free trial, 7 day free trial, 30 day paid trial. Just make your bleedin' mind up!
For what it's worth, they changed the wording on the main page.
It no longer says, "Try Reason+ for 1".
it now says, "First month $1 only".

I pointed this out in the other thread and provided screenshots there. I think now they could take the opportunity to distinguish the demo mode as a way to try Reason for free with a few restrictions.

To their defense, much of the other software I use and trial doesn't give full authorized access during trials. For instance, I tried RX 9 before buying it, and it is a 30-day trial that doesn't allow saving or exporting. Other software trials are timed per session or emit noise intermittently, etc... Reason had been giving users full authorized access, which is a very nice gesture. Not saying other developers don't do that for their trials as well, but there is the demo mode and I do think they could do a better job highlighting that.

F9Mute

02 Dec 2021

rootwheel wrote:
09 Nov 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 Nov 2021
This reminds me of people speedrunning a demo of Zelda: Ocarina of time. The demo contains the whole game, but your limited to five minutes of gameplay. The thing is, speedrunners now can actually beat the whole thing in under five minutes!

Back on topic:
I love that you still can bounce clips in the demo. Before being able to buy whichever version Pangea/Klang/Humana/Europa/Grain came with, I used to take long sampling sessions in the demo, rex individual loops/instrument, and then use them in techno/electro jam sessions in my licensed Reason.

Also beat testet a Refill for Industrial Strength Records, containing only Europa patches, before I had Europa, in the demo.

earwig83

02 Mar 2022

The half baked DAW part should just be free and they can bring back a worthwhile RE market.

Oberlai

24 Jun 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 Nov 2021

You can get your first month of R+ for 1 buck/euro, I guess they want people doing that instead, and I think it's a good move, the amount of content is just incredible.

ReasonOCD

05 Aug 2022

Is the $1 buck offer still available?

I have used the demo before but its since ran out, would i have to open another reason studio account?

joeyluck

05 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
05 Aug 2022
Is the $1 buck offer still available?

I have used the demo before but its since ran out, would i have to open another reason studio account?
You're confusing demo mode with a trial of R+. As explained here in this thread about demo mode, demo mode does not expire. it has another limitations that it has always had. In terms of R+, it doesn't have a trial per se, but the first month has been offered for $1. Only you can know if that offer is available to you by logging in. If you used it already, it would be $19/month, which is still good for what you get. There's also yearly and 3 month offers floating around from time to time.

Wobbleburger

31 Mar 2023

I end up in Demo mode when the doors to the program are locked or malfunctioning. It's a sad place. I never want to end up in Demo mode.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

• Information