Layering Reverbs

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
moofi

04 Aug 2022

Here I noticed that much a difference I had to lower the levels after sending. Possibly something else in the chain afterwards could have caused or at least amplified the effect, gonna investigate a little further regarding that specific case.

And yes for seperate reverb processing it is necessary, something I definitely lack in practically. Your comment actually reminded me and also inpired to initialise an intensified implementation of affecting send reverbs, delays, etc. Thank you :-)
Thinking about it it feels even more like a new universe for exploration.

Also the compression/EQ/panning point is valid. Not that I would use it always because I like compressing/EQ/pan reverberated sounds, yet it´s got its quite present quality of usefulness for the other side of madness :-D

Speaking of, can we please have additional sends like at least 16 or 32?

Regarding cut-off, those are the situations, like mentioned, when I actually already use sends. Could definitely be intensified aswell though :-)

Half an hour to go for the live stream. Seems at least sort of related.

selig wrote:
04 Aug 2022
moofi wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Having used a send reverb once again I noticed/remembered that simply adding a reverb on top would change the overall level of that sound. So I´m wondering regarding the carefully set levels, how much that would actually have an advantage over a dry/wet approach because you would have to adjust the levels afterwards while with the dry/wet method it would bascially stay at the same level?
Man, if the solution to making tracks louder was simply adding reverb, that would be sweet! But that's not what I experience.
With a dry/wet I hear the dry sound get SOFTER as soon as you move away from 100% dry. Adding reverb at the levels I typical use don't appear to add any noticeable overall level to the track, but maybe that's because I'm using less (doubtful, knowing my ambient leanings!).

There are other reasons too, such as what happens if you mute the channel (any reverb tails will be cut off if not using sends), or if you bus the channel (any compression/EQ added to the bus will also affect the reverb), and any panning you do will also pan the reverb. You are also unable to EQ or otherwise process the reverb separately when it's inline with the source track.

That said, I DO use reverbs this way from time to time, mainly when the sound in question requires reverb to even work in the first place.

moofi

04 Aug 2022

32 sends.jpg
32 sends.jpg (219.36 KiB) Viewed 338 times

moofi

04 Aug 2022

Just a quick example of what I was talking about. The resulting volume difference is around 4dB:

send boost.mp3
(945.61 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

• Information