Anyone else annoyed by this in Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Propellerhands

02 Aug 2022

It is hard to call it a feature yet I am not sure it is a bug either. Just something that is annoying to me in Reason's Sequencer (which I like the most out of all the DAWs that I saw or tried).

And that is when you draw a BAR by clicking with a mouse on a sequencer, that tiny space below it (and above BAR) can be interacted with the mouse again and you can draw an empty BAR in place of already drawn BAR. I am not the most accurate "mouse clicker" and I work on 17 inch FHD laptop screen yet I often find myself accidentally clicking that tiny space above or below a BAR and have to undo it.

Am I tripping or is it just stupid feature that nobody needs and probably should be reported as a bug?
Attachments
fwfwf.jpg
fwfwf.jpg (5.73 KiB) Viewed 2071 times
Last edited by Propellerhands on 02 Aug 2022, edited 1 time in total.
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

PhillipOrdonez

02 Aug 2022

Don't think that's happened to me 🤔

Propellerhands

02 Aug 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 Aug 2022
You mean, it never happened by accident or you never tried clicking on that space/border below a drawn BAR? :D For some reason (no pun intended) I find myself a bit regretful about migrating from Reason 4 to Reason 12 due to such tiny issues I never had in older versions.

deigm

02 Aug 2022

Oh man I do that ALL THE TIME but I never realized that clicking that space was why it was happening. I've just gotten used to quickly hitting ctrl+z when phantom bars pop up. The sequencer is a touch clunky and a revamp would be most welcome, but I don't find it limiting. It does its job well for the most part imo.

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2022

Am I missing something. I clicked in that bar and it didn't create a new clip.

Are you double clicking? Have pencil mode activated?

PhillipOrdonez

02 Aug 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
02 Aug 2022
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 Aug 2022
You mean, it never happened by accident or you never tried clicking on that space/border below a drawn BAR? :D For some reason (no pun intended) I find myself a bit regretful about migrating from Reason 4 to Reason 12 due to such tiny issues I never had in older versions.
Since I have not noticed any issue, it has not happened accidentally, but intentionally.

Loque

02 Aug 2022

Yea, happens to me regularly. Not sure where to click, but sometimes i get a new bar over an already existing one. Also happened with double clicking or accidentally double clicking when i try to move or double click an existing bar.
Reason12, Win10

tallguy

02 Aug 2022

Using the pencil tool, you can draw as many bars on top of each other as you like. Double-clicking is just another way to add a bar. Or option-dragging a bar can leave you with duplicates sitting on top of each other. So Reason clearly allows for bars to sit on top of each other

I find it all very puzzling and assume it's an ill tough-out feature

huggermugger

02 Aug 2022

It's called a Clip, not a Bar. A Bar is a unit of meter.

stillifegaijin

02 Aug 2022

It's because you can put a clip on top of a clip and it will play instead of the clip underneath. You can then mute the clip on top and the one underneath will play. It's a none destructive way to change things or try different options. It's not a bug.

Pepin

02 Aug 2022

I could imagine this happening if you're trying to double click a clip to enter edit mode.
Though I never see this personally, because I almost always enter edit mode with cmd-E.

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2022

Pepin wrote:
02 Aug 2022
I could imagine this happening if you're trying to double click a clip to enter edit mode.
Though I never see this personally, because I almost always enter edit mode with cmd-E.
Ditto.

Don't think I could ever trust someone who double clicked to go into edit mode. Almost as bad as people who pronounce GIF as GIF ;)

Propellerhands

02 Aug 2022

Loque wrote:
02 Aug 2022
Yea, happens to me regularly. Not sure where to click, but sometimes i get a new bar over an already existing one. Also happened with double clicking or accidentally double clicking when i try to move or double click an existing bar.
that's my experience too. If I want to edit a bar, I occasionally manage to click on that specific tiny spot. Phew, not tripping.

Propellerhands

02 Aug 2022

Loque wrote:
02 Aug 2022
that's my experience too. If I want to edit a bar, I occasionally manage to click on that specific tiny spot. Phew, not tripping.

huggermugger wrote:
02 Aug 2022
I initially wrote "clip" but then looked at Reason Sequencer and it said "bar" at the top, so changed it :D For me it's a bar. Ableton has clips :mrgreen:
stillifegaijin wrote:
02 Aug 2022
It's because you can put a clip on top of a clip and it will play instead of the clip underneath. You can then mute the clip on top and the one underneath will play. It's a none destructive way to change things or try different options. It's not a bug.
Oh I did not know about this feature of creating a bar (clip) on top and then muting and then the one below was playing instead. Always thought it was overwritten, even though I was aware I could later remove the clip (bar) and still find the older one beneath it (at least in reason v4, did not try in v12)
avasopht wrote:
02 Aug 2022

Don't think I could ever trust someone who double clicked to go into edit mode. Almost as bad as people who pronounce GIF as GIF ;)
That's the most convenient way for me to edit bars (clips), is to click on the specific BAR and then enter edit mode. I try to use keyboard as little as possible, I am lazy producer most of the time.

huggermugger

02 Aug 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
02 Aug 2022
huggermugger wrote:
02 Aug 2022
I initially wrote "clip" but then looked at Reason Sequencer and it said "bar" at the top, so changed it :D For me it's a bar. Ableton has clips :mrgreen:
The 'Bar' at the top of the sequencer is about the snap/grid setting.

There is no DAW on the planet that calls those things 'bars'. Ableton, Reason, Logic, ProTools, Cubase, Reaper, FL, etc. All of them use either the term Clip or Region (Logic and ProTools). Terminology exists for a reason. Otherwise...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 5.44.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 5.44.37 PM.png (294.71 KiB) Viewed 1751 times

jam-s

02 Aug 2022

huggermugger wrote:
02 Aug 2022
Propellerhands wrote:
02 Aug 2022

There is no DAW on the planet that calls those things 'bars'. Ableton, Reason, Logic, ProTools, Cubase, Reaper, FL, etc. All of them use either the term Clip or Region (Logic and ProTools). Terminology exists for a reason. Otherwise...
Two clips go into a bar. One clip goes strait to the barkeep and ... :puf_wink:
Last edited by jam-s on 20 Aug 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Propellerhands

03 Aug 2022

I love this site :D Hilarious.

huggermugger

03 Aug 2022

jam-s wrote:
02 Aug 2022

Two clips go into a bar. On clip goes strait to the barkeep and ... :puf_wink:
You win the post of the day award :D

Eprom

04 Aug 2022

If my clip is clipping, did I raise the bar too high?
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

killhamster

04 Aug 2022

All the time. I move around the sequencer quickly and never understood why I'd occasionally get these ghost clips for no reason.
deigm wrote:
02 Aug 2022
I've just gotten used to quickly hitting ctrl+z when phantom bars pop up.
Same here. It's inconvenient but by now it's second nature. It'd be nice to see it fixed.

EnochLight

04 Aug 2022

jam-s wrote:
02 Aug 2022
huggermugger wrote:
02 Aug 2022

Two clips go into a bar. On clip goes strait to the barkeep and ... :puf_wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Josdams

20 Aug 2022

I'm annoyed since the first day that was a thing. Absolutely hate it 🤮 I don't know how many times this small but stupid thing has been a stone on my shoe

• Information