How to disable "Drag & Drop" in Reason? It is terrible.

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Propellerhands

04 Jun 2022

Never thought I would have to make this thread but ever since upgrading from Reason 4.0.1 to Reason 11 (then 12) I have been annoyed by how Propellerhead's handle this basic Windows function. In Reason 11-12 itself.

For instance, if I want to move up and down with a mouse some slider or a knob and hit slightly off the boundaries of an instrument or effect or a mixer etc., I instantly lift the whole RACK and it instantly drops it somewhere else. And then I have to press UNDO. Time and time again, like 9 times out of 10 it happens to me when I am creating sounds in Reason and edit values with a mouse left-click button.

Perhaps I am unware of some hidden function to disable this massacre or am I the only one having such issues constantly?
For some reason (no pun intended) screenshot does not save mouse cursors, so impossible to see how slightly off the edge my mouse is for this Drag&Drop function to kick in.

Solution: make drag and drop only available from the SIDE of instruments/effects etc, not from entire area. Currently it is pain in the ass.
Attachments
drg.jpg
drg.jpg (204.89 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

Loque

04 Jun 2022

Requested quite often over the years. Make a feature request, maybe you get heard.
Reason12, Win10

mimidancer

04 Jun 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
04 Jun 2022
Never thought I would have to make this thread but ever since upgrading from Reason 4.0.1 to Reason 11 (then 12) I have been annoyed by how Propellerhead's handle this basic Windows function. In Reason 11-12 itself.

For instance, if I want to move up and down with a mouse some slider or a knob and hit slightly off the boundaries of an instrument or effect or a mixer etc., I instantly lift the whole RACK and it instantly drops it somewhere else. And then I have to press UNDO. Time and time again, like 9 times out of 10 it happens to me when I am creating sounds in Reason and edit values with a mouse left-click button.

Perhaps I am unware of some hidden function to disable this massacre or am I the only one having such issues constantly?
For some reason (no pun intended) screenshot does not save mouse cursors, so impossible to see how slightly off the edge my mouse is for this Drag&Drop function to kick in.

Solution: make drag and drop only available from the SIDE of instruments/effects etc, not from entire area. Currently it is pain in the ass.
In windows, you can change the speed of your double click, and also in that menu, there is a button that does a one-click drag. Make sure that is off. Lastly, make sure you are hovering over the button or knob before you click. If it makes you feel better I have inadvertently moved a module. Just not very often. Mostly likely because my tiny hands are ninja-level precise. I hope you are well tonight and making good music. Remember to aim your mouse. Be well.

Jac459

04 Jun 2022

You can also buy a small midi controller for less than 100 euros. It really gives a lot of additional freedom.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Propellerhands

05 Jun 2022

Loque wrote:
04 Jun 2022
Requested quite often over the years. Make a feature request, maybe you get heard.
I will surely will! Thanks for heads up!
mimidancer wrote:
04 Jun 2022

In windows, you can change the speed of your double click, and also in that menu, there is a button that does a one-click drag. Make sure that is off. Lastly, make sure you are hovering over the button or knob before you click. If it makes you feel better I have inadvertently moved a module. Just not very often. Mostly likely because my tiny hands are ninja-level precise. I hope you are well tonight and making good music. Remember to aim your mouse. Be well.
Can you be a bit more specific, where to find this in windows 10? I found "Additional Mouse Options" but can't find a "one click drag" as you mentioned. As for watching/hovering, that's the thing, I jjust glance and click because that's how I used to working on it since the beginning. To adapt would be impossible now. :lol: Also my monitor is only 17 inches. Sure could increase the size of Reason windows but that would cost me space on screen.
Jac459 wrote:
04 Jun 2022
You can also buy a small midi controller for less than 100 euros. It really gives a lot of additional freedom.
that's not a solution since impossible to control Reason with it. Midi can't control entire interface of Reason.

Jac459

05 Jun 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
05 Jun 2022

that's not a solution since impossible to control Reason with it. Midi can't control entire interface of Reason.
But your problem is for rack/rack extensions only no? For the rest of the interface, if you miss, you don't drag and drop anything. Sorry if I misunderstand.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Propellerhands

05 Jun 2022

Jac459 wrote:
05 Jun 2022
Propellerhands wrote:
05 Jun 2022

But your problem is for rack/rack extensions only no? For the rest of the interface, if you miss, you don't drag and drop anything. Sorry if I misunderstand.
For all modules. How can you control each from < 20instruments (subtractor, malstrom, combinator etc) without rerouting everything in a control and then trying to remember which knob is for attack decay filter pitch bend octave change dry/wet and every other possible control inside every VST etc.?

Jac459

06 Jun 2022

Well I created a huge remote map with all my synths. I tried to have the same logic for each so it is more or less OK (not saying it is perfect).
For each synth I am controlling 64 to 80 knobs so it is quite nice.
What I like in particular is the capacity to control multiple knobs at the same time.
Not being an expert in sound design, it helps me to experiment faster.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

guitfnky

06 Jun 2022

huge pain in the ass. but if you don’t just immediately let go of the mouse button and you see it’s happening, you can press Esc to cancel the move. but very unforgiving functionality, IMO.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

PhillipOrdonez

06 Jun 2022

I think this has been going on for several versions, certainly not since 11 or 12. More like since the first version.

challism

06 Jun 2022

I think it has gotten worse in Reason 12. The slightest bump of a device will often times reorganize the rack. It's really annoying. Players are particularly tricky to move around.

Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

dusan.cani

06 Jun 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
04 Jun 2022
Yes, that way it worked in the first versions of Reason. It reacted only when touching the sidebars of the modules. Then from certain Reason version they changed it to the whole area of the modules.

I totally agree that this is very annoying, unwanted and user unfriendly feature. When accidentally not touching the knob directly, the whole module blurs up, eventually ending up with unwanted reorganize.

But for me, there is even more horrible "feature", and that is the Browsers' auto defocus:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7510597

Unfortunately, Reason Studios don't care about these issues at all.

Propellerhands

06 Jun 2022

dusan.cani wrote:
06 Jun 2022
Propellerhands wrote:
04 Jun 2022
Yes, that way it worked in the first versions of Reason. It reacted only when touching the sidebars of the modules. Then from certain Reason version they changed it to the whole area of the modules.

I totally agree that this is very annoying, unwanted and user unfriendly feature. When accidentally not touching the knob directly, the whole module blurs up, eventually ending up with unwanted reorganize.

But for me, there is even more horrible "feature", and that is the Browsers' auto defocus:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7510597

Unfortunately, Reason Studios don't care about these issues at all.
Totally agree, browser focus is second most annoying "feature/bug" of reason. I have same issues just like you, everytime I try a patch and move some parameter to experiment, but decide not to use the patch and try something different, I have to press on the MENU of MODULE again to enable focus and only then I can select another patch. Otherwise, duplicate duplicate duplicate duplicate duplicate duplicate.

Browser focus works as long as you fiddle with the parameters inside the same MODULE that you selected a patch to. If module has an FX or something else and you turn some parameter, it loses focus from original module.

moofi

16 Jun 2022

Coming from Reason 7 to Reason 12 I noticed this altered behaviour aswell. Then a simple "undo" solves the issue if anything is actually being moved and not just popping back in place.

LeDelire

04 Jul 2022

I confirm! From time to time I miss and instead of twisting the sliders up or down the whole device moves. Terribly annoying! Reason Studio, fix this!

jam-s

04 Jul 2022

I've yet to see a Reason Studios live stream where they don't accidentally also start dragging a device instead of adjusting a parameter. So in theory they should at least be aware of the issue.

fceramic

02 Aug 2022

I actually find Reason DAW almost unusable because of this. Reason Studios need to allow players to turn off dragging without holding down shift. EVERY TIME I need to move a device in the rack I hold the shift key, unless I need to move an entire group, but I'm sure that can be a button combination as well. In Reason 12 and especially with Combinator 2, everything starts shaking and glitching out when you accidentally move something, and suddenly the devices are shuffled and it's a paint to switch it back.
They also need to expand the input zones for parameters, so many times I miss a parameter when trying to edit with mouse or trackpad. Please RS, fix this.

moofi

02 Aug 2022

UNDO (Ctrl+z) :-D

Also why do you need to hold shift?

Unless you would like to reorder a device chain, that´s indeed done with dragging while holding shift because recabling is done. If you are simply talking about standard dragging changing the order yet not the cabling, what is being used most here, I prefer it the way it is (standard drag + drop).
Simply turn off automatic device grouping and you are fine.
fceramic wrote:
02 Aug 2022
I actually find Reason DAW almost unusable because of this. Reason Studios need to allow players to turn off dragging without holding down shift. EVERY TIME I need to move a device in the rack I hold the shift key, unless I need to move an entire group, but I'm sure that can be a button combination as well. In Reason 12 and especially with Combinator 2, everything starts shaking and glitching out when you accidentally move something, and suddenly the devices are shuffled and it's a paint to switch it back.
They also need to expand the input zones for parameters, so many times I miss a parameter when trying to edit with mouse or trackpad. Please RS, fix this.

fceramic

03 Aug 2022

Why do you need to move devices around if it's not to change the routing?? I rarely need this feature and it doesn't even make sense in the context of a hardware rack. Imagine trying to turn a knob on a rack but instead, the entire unit gets randomly moved.

• Information