Ableton went M1 native...

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Re8et
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2022

Ableton went M1 native, and the basic 8gb M1 smashes 32gb i7 by around 50% and...
can go as low as 32 sample latency without stutters... --to be honest it didn't say if with or without ext audio card--
Add to that many VST's like Cherry Audio's and other are now M1 native...
Kilohertz essential M1 native, Soundtoys, TAL, Serum... all native... tried them personally, all works on Garage Band!
Reason is falling behind fast...

Jac459

03 Aug 2022

Bitwig is native since so long, they had to find new challenges like CLAP :-).
They are releasing fixes (for a already rock solid version) every 2 weeks.

If you want agility and wide compatibility, Reason is not anymore a logical choice in my opinion.

Yet again, they have a very unique offer with mind-blowing capacity and super creative (again only my view).

Either you can decide you don't care about the rest and be super happy with a fully integrated experience like only Reason can offer. Either you care about the rest and then I strongly suggest you to move to another DAW (I am in love with Bitwig and feel it has an edge on many aspects against ableton, in particular in term of speed of release and overall technical quality, but I am very much biased and Ableton maybe in fact much better :-P). ==> Moving to another DAW you will still be able to enjoy the super powers of Reason thanks to its Rack offer, to me it is genius move from them. But of course you loose the fully integrated/no-popup environment.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Heater

03 Aug 2022

All the big DAWs are M1 native apart from Reason. It’s very disappointing.

DaveyG

03 Aug 2022

Jac459 wrote:
03 Aug 2022
If you want agility and wide compatibility, Reason is not anymore a logical choice in my opinion.
Reason has never really been about either of those things though. Reason has always been about stability and reliability. Unfortunately they screwed that up with R12. :cry:

I love that Bitwig, and Reaper, are so active but it's not necessarily something everyone wants or needs. I prefer software that stays unchanged for months then changes in a big lump rather than getting a new release every few weeks. I've been bitten in the past by updates that break something.

But, yes, Reason needs M1 and VST3 sooner rather than later.

Jac459

03 Aug 2022

Heater wrote:
03 Aug 2022
But reason is not a big DAW. I think below 3% market share, not in the top 10 for many rankings...
But again, they have a unique offer...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

03 Aug 2022

DaveyG wrote:
03 Aug 2022
Reason has never really been about either of those things though. Reason has always been about stability and reliability. Unfortunately they screwed that up with R12. :cry:

I love that Bitwig, and Reaper, are so active but it's not necessarily something everyone wants or needs. I prefer software that stays unchanged for months then changes in a big lump rather than getting a new release every few weeks. I've been bitten in the past by updates that break something.

But, yes, Reason needs M1 and VST3 sooner rather than later.
That was exactly my point... We can complain about some issues at R12 beginning but it is well behind us...

For the rest reason has strength and weakness. It is not a kind of all-rounder like Cubase, logic of ableton. It is a very specific product with a soul and a charm and things you don't find anywhere else.
But also some annoyances...

But to me it is like complaining about a vintage 911 being unpractical... Yes it is unpractical but damn nice and charming. You don't have that with your volkswagen tourer.

I don't think expecting them to compete with ableton on the same market would be very realistic ..
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Propellerhands

03 Aug 2022

Dumb question, but what about M2 chip in new or upcoming apple products, do they support other DAWs? Or is M1 the same as M2 (from compatibility perspective) but one is older and one is newer?
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
03 Aug 2022
Dumb question, but what about M2 chip in new or upcoming apple products, do they support other DAWs? Or is M1 the same as M2 (from compatibility perspective) but one is older and one is newer?
The M2 doesn't break backwards compatibility with the M1.

It's an iteration no different to what Intel and AMD have released for the last few decades.

It would have been career suicide for Apple to do something like that ;)

Re8et
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2022

Jac459 wrote:
03 Aug 2022
Bitwig is native since so long, they had to find new challenges like CLAP :-).

Oh man, I want to try that Tape Sythesizer so badly... :)

Re8et
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2022

Jac459 wrote:
03 Aug 2022
Heater wrote:
03 Aug 2022
But reason is not a big DAW. I think below 3% market share, not in the top 10 for many rankings...
But again, they have a unique offer...
Ableton is not just a DAW, it's THE go to DAW for serious Live Set Dj's and Composer.
You could use FL, Ableton, Bitwig, or Reason for Live performances, but no one
uses LOGIC or REAPER for Live sets...

So the announce that Ableton is now M1 native, is a pretty big kick in the balls for us Reason-ers.

Heater

03 Aug 2022

Re8et wrote:
03 Aug 2022
Ableton is not just a DAW, it's THE go to DAW for serious Live Set Dj's and Composer.
You could use FL, Ableton, Bitwig, or Reason for Live performances, but no one
uses LOGIC or REAPER for Live sets...

So the announce that Ableton is now M1 native, is a pretty big kick in the balls for us Reason-ers.
I saw a brilliant YouTube piece on how Orbital have their entire set on a single set and they trigger stuff coming in and out etc..
Shows you how powerful Ableton is.

• Information