Noteset, CVPT, Blamsoft Breakoutbox, Chords and Scales...help!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 May 2019

I really need help with this if anyone can offer advice.

I've got Retouch Control Note and Chordset. The description on Noteset says it can receive chord information from Chordset or "similar devices". Chordset is a device (not a player) and Noteset is a player with gate and note input in order for it to receive information from Chordset via a cv splitter (spider)

I'm trying instead to get the the chords from Scales and Chords into Noteset...I know that Chords and Scales doesn't have cv out but I tried connecting it to Lectric Panda's CVPT then into the spider and out to noteset. I'm seeing the information from Scales and Chords lighting up the LEDs on the front of CVPT but am still not getting the results I'm expecting. I've tried different combinations and connections into Blamsoft's Breakout box or CV Merger but that didn't get me anywhere either. Has anyone got any ideas?
I realise what I've written is kind of garbled and also that maybe not so many of you have these REs. I do know however that there's a lot of experienced users on this forum so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks in advance.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ljekio

31 May 2019

You need MIDI-CV converter instead CVPT.
Or CVPT + MoPol:
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... cv-merger/
When S&C generate poly signal, CVPT outs split it by voice on separate outs.
LEDs show it.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 May 2019

ljekio wrote:
31 May 2019
You need MIDI-CV converter instead CVPT.
Or CVPT + MoPol:
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... cv-merger/
When S&C generate poly signal, CVPT outs split it by voice on separate outs.
LEDs show it.
That's the one. Many, many thanks :). I really appreciate you answering this for me. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

nai888

01 Aug 2022

All right, sorry to resurrect a thread that's been silent for three years, but I have to ask: did you get this to work?

I have MIDI-CV Converter, and I was really hoping I could use it to send chords from Reason's Chord Sequencer into NoteSet. I just now started a trial of NoteSet to try to get it to work, but I'm having a lot of trouble with it.

If I set NoteSet to Static mode (i.e., basically the same as Scales & Chords with a custom scale), the instrument plays and NoteSet shows info (e.g., "A3 → A3"), which tells me that NoteSet is receiving the notes and passing them through to the instrument. However, as soon as I switch NoteSet to Automatic or Chord Thru modes, it just completely stops working. Nothing displays on the device, and the instrument stops playing.

Did you get NoteSet to work with something other than ChordSet? Any tips?

Thanks!

Grimlucky

03 Aug 2022

Have you enabled the Poly CV switch on the back of MIDI CV Convertor?

RetouchControl
RE Developer

03 Aug 2022

Thanks!
Hello,

NoteSet works directly with both ChordSet and the ChordSQ player. Not sure about using MIDI-CV Converter, but you can send chords from Reason's Chord Sequencer to NoteSet by using the RPG-8 device as intermediary. Put RPG-8 in a combinator, turn RPG-8 OFF, add Chord Sequencer at the top of the combinator, then connect the RPG-8's Gate and Note CV Outs to the Gate and CV chord inputs at the back of NoteSet (as shown below). If NoteSet is in "Auto" mode, you should see the chord notes displayed in NoteSet when you trigger a chord in Chord Sequencer.

BTW, this method also works for chords in MIDI clips on the RPG-8 sequencer track. For best results, you want to have a little gap between successive chords so the Gate closes and NoteSet erases the internal memory to receive new chords. Otherwise you get overlapping chords which will fill up the note memory, with the end result of allowing all notes thru.

NoteSet with RPG8 Back.png
NoteSet with RPG8 Back.png (261.39 KiB) Viewed 816 times
NoteSet with RPG8 Front.png
NoteSet with RPG8 Front.png (242.18 KiB) Viewed 816 times

PhillipOrdonez

03 Aug 2022

Can't wait to try this!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2022

nai888 wrote:
01 Aug 2022
All right, sorry to resurrect a thread that's been silent for three years, but I have to ask: did you get this to work?

I have MIDI-CV Converter, and I was really hoping I could use it to send chords from Reason's Chord Sequencer into NoteSet. I just now started a trial of NoteSet to try to get it to work, but I'm having a lot of trouble with it.

If I set NoteSet to Static mode (i.e., basically the same as Scales & Chords with a custom scale), the instrument plays and NoteSet shows info (e.g., "A3 → A3"), which tells me that NoteSet is receiving the notes and passing them through to the instrument. However, as soon as I switch NoteSet to Automatic or Chord Thru modes, it just completely stops working. Nothing displays on the device, and the instrument stops playing.

Thanks!
Yeah, as you say, it was three years ago but I must have got it working seeing as he I didn’t ask any more questions. Midi-cv converter is a must have RE.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

nai888

03 Aug 2022

Here's what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to use a chord sequencer on one instrument to control other unrelated instruments with different players. On some of those other instruments, I'd like to filter what's coming through the players based on the current chord (sounds perfect for NoteSet!). Here's a visual example of what I'd like to work.

Chord Sequencer is controlling one instrument.
Desired Setup 1.png
Desired Setup 1.png (925.88 KiB) Viewed 778 times
MIDI from Chord Sequencer is being sent off (presumably by MIDI-CV Converter) to a different track, where it's fed into another player. The pitches are also fed into NoteSet to set the chord for filtering the pitches coming out of the player before they go to the actual instrument.
Desired Setup 2.png
Desired Setup 2.png (855.63 KiB) Viewed 778 times
Similarly, the bass note is being fed into a Bassline Generator on a different track, with the pitches fed into another NoteSet in order to filter the pitches coming out of that player before they go to the bass instrument.
Desired Setup 3.png
Desired Setup 3.png (573.76 KiB) Viewed 778 times
(Further screenshots coming in a second post because apparently I can't upload more than three images in a single post.)

nai888

03 Aug 2022

When I turn NoteSet to Static Mode, it plays the pitches, but it's behaving the same way as Scales & Chords, so I might as well just use that instead.
Desired Setup, Static Mode.png
Desired Setup, Static Mode.png (170.01 KiB) Viewed 777 times
When I turn NoteSet to Automatic or Chord Thru mode, it just stops working completely.
Desired Setup, Automatic Mode.png
Desired Setup, Automatic Mode.png (171.25 KiB) Viewed 777 times
I also tried @RetouchControl's method using RPG-8, but noticed two things:

1) Strangely, RPG-8 does not seem to respond at all to MIDI pitches coming from Chord Sequencer. It only responds to MIDI that's recorded on the track or played with an input device. This defeats the purpose.
2) It's really annoying to need to add a gap between the chords.

selig
RE Developer

03 Aug 2022

RetouchControl wrote:
03 Aug 2022

Thanks!
Hello,

NoteSet works directly with both ChordSet and the ChordSQ player. Not sure about using MIDI-CV Converter, but you can send chords from Reason's Chord Sequencer to NoteSet by using the RPG-8 device as intermediary. Put RPG-8 in a combinator, turn RPG-8 OFF, add Chord Sequencer at the top of the combinator, then connect the RPG-8's Gate and Note CV Outs to the Gate and CV chord inputs at the back of NoteSet (as shown below). If NoteSet is in "Auto" mode, you should see the chord notes displayed in NoteSet when you trigger a chord in Chord Sequencer.

BTW, this method also works for chords in MIDI clips on the RPG-8 sequencer track. For best results, you want to have a little gap between successive chords so the Gate closes and NoteSet erases the internal memory to receive new chords. Otherwise you get overlapping chords which will fill up the note memory, with the end result of allowing all notes thru.
There is a potential problem with using RPG-8 for polyphonic MIDI to CV, one of the reasons PolyCV was developed in the first place. And that is because with this setup you have poly notes but mono gates. For example, if you play a chord then release one or more notes, those notes will not be released by RPG-8. So it "sort of" works, but won't handle anything but block chords that all start/stop at the same time.
While this MAY be OK for the exact use case above (sending block chords over CV), it's a good thing to remember for all other applications. And yet another reason why MIDI-CV is such a dang useful device IMO!
Selig Audio, LLC

RetouchControl
RE Developer

03 Aug 2022

nai888 wrote:
03 Aug 2022
When I turn NoteSet to Static Mode, it plays the pitches, but it's behaving the same way as Scales & Chords, so I might as well just use that instead.
Desired Setup, Static Mode.png

When I turn NoteSet to Automatic or Chord Thru mode, it just stops working completely.
Desired Setup, Automatic Mode.png
As I said earlier, I am not familiar with MIDI-CV Converter, but if you are using it in the Poly CV mode, then it won't work with NoteSet b/c it does not support the Poly CV standard. Maybe try flipping the switch in the back of the device?
nai888 wrote:
03 Aug 2022
I also tried @RetouchControl's method using RPG-8, but noticed two things:

1) Strangely, RPG-8 does not seem to respond at all to MIDI pitches coming from Chord Sequencer. It only responds to MIDI that's recorded on the track or played with an input device. This defeats the purpose.
2) It's really annoying to need to add a gap between the chords.
Are you putting the RPG-8 inside the combinator and is it set to receive notes? The Chord Sequencer sits on top of the combinator, like so:
ChordSeqCombiFront.png
ChordSeqCombiFront.png (282.27 KiB) Viewed 749 times
ChordSeqCombiBack.png
ChordSeqCombiBack.png (360.51 KiB) Viewed 749 times

RetouchControl
RE Developer

03 Aug 2022

selig wrote:
03 Aug 2022

There is a potential problem with using RPG-8 for polyphonic MIDI to CV, one of the reasons PolyCV was developed in the first place. And that is because with this setup you have poly notes but mono gates. For example, if you play a chord then release one or more notes, those notes will not be released by RPG-8. So it "sort of" works, but won't handle anything but block chords that all start/stop at the same time.
While this MAY be OK for the exact use case above (sending block chords over CV), it's a good thing to remember for all other applications. And yet another reason why MIDI-CV is such a dang useful device IMO!
Correct. That's why I also mentioned to leave a small gap between successive chords.

PhillipOrdonez

03 Aug 2022

It works with the rpg8!!! Just split the CV out of the rpg8 and drive as many devices as your splitter can drive. 🕺 Great tip, thanks retouch control!

• Information