Ideas for the next upgrade

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
vncnt

01 Aug 2022

At the moment I'm analyzing and recreating parts of existing music with Reason (12.2.7d82), to learn from the composer.
I'm using two 16:9 27" displays, both forced to 1920x1080 resolution for medical reasons.
Left: Sequencer/Mixer window, right: Rack window.

Just a few ideas to make the process a little easier.
  • The Track List is using a lot of screen space but it's impossible to resize it to a minimum to improve that. For instance, the Mute/Solo buttons are very important, the thumbnail of the instrument is less important.
  • A nice addition would be to be able to measure the BPM of (a fragment of) an audio clip without reverting to obscure external software. In the browser maybe?
  • Would it be possible to add a fade-in / level / fade-out / cross-fade interface to individual note clips, similar to the audio clips? It works fast, and keeps the fader and other volume controls for other tasks.
  • When loop recording audio, additional attempts are split in the Comp editor but when recording notes, they are placed on top of each other in a single track. This gets messy fast. An overwrite mode? Or mute earlier notes? Auto-add new Note Lanes?
  • I wouldn't need to switch between Sequencer/Mixer that often if there was a possibility to have a vertical split screen: (Browser/)Rack/Mixer window. Both the Sequencer and the Rack keep fighting for screen space when combined with the Mixer. Having the Rack and Mixer as individual windows on the right screen is a temp solution but it's not very elegant and adjusting takes more interaction that distracts from the creative part.
  • Please implement the MMB-drag solution to pan each window. It's the best invention in 3D/video production environments, and it's getting pretty standard. Right now, panning requires precise placement of the mouse. Sometimes something goes wrong because of that, causing strange things to happen that are not immediately noticeable, and Ctrl+Z then no longer helps.
  • Reason leads the way in many ways but I still don't understand why I can't use Home/End (focus set to the Ruler) to navigate to the beginning/end of a loop, or the entire song.
[EDIT: a few more ideas]
  • Vertical Zoom should center around the track under the mouse pointer. Like the Horizontal Zoom already centers around the Bar under the mouse pointer. Currently, it's very easy to be confused with more extreme zoom factors, needed when dealing with cramped screen space.
  • Timeline markers, with a text field for remarks. In 3 colors: high/low/no priority.
  • A Shift/Ctrl/Alt + mouse-drag command to move both L/R loop markers at the same time. To preserve the loop duration.
  • Respect selected notes when modifying Note Velocity with Pencil Tool.
  • Track Lock, to prevent unintended changes.
  • View a reference (audio) track while editing a note lane.
  • When closing Edit mode, the timeline pans to an illogical position. It would be less confusing if it centers to the current time, a more natural focus point.
Last edited by vncnt on 04 Aug 2022, edited 4 times in total.

jam-s

01 Aug 2022

vncnt wrote:
01 Aug 2022
Would it be possible to add a fade-in / level / fade-out / cross-fade interface to individual note clips, similar to the audio clips? It works fast, and keeps the fader and other volume controls for other tasks.
How should this possibly work? A MIDI clip/track has no inherent relation to a mix channel, so any volume automation there would be pretty meaningless.

djsmex

01 Aug 2022

jam-s wrote:
01 Aug 2022
vncnt wrote:
01 Aug 2022
Would it be possible to add a fade-in / level / fade-out / cross-fade interface to individual note clips, similar to the audio clips? It works fast, and keeps the fader and other volume controls for other tasks.
How should this possibly work? A MIDI clip/track has no inherent relation to a mix channel, so any volume automation there would be pretty meaningless.
The only logical way I imagine this working is to adjust note velocity on first/last notes but this wouldn't work like mix channel fades. The only alternative is the feature only be available when the track is linked to a mix channel in the ssl.

vncnt

01 Aug 2022

According to this list: https://professionalcomposers.com/midi-cc-list/
you can control the volume (like many other parameters) with midi commands.
Just another way of interfacing with the user.

Velocity is a parameter with different results.

jam-s

01 Aug 2022

Yes, this could possibly work, but I doubt (m)any of the Reason instruments or REs follow this mapping.

• Information