Reason Studios Chord Sequencer in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MuttReason

22 Jul 2022

stratatonic wrote:
21 Jul 2022
MuttReason wrote:
20 Jul 2022
New RS demo vid out on their YT channel and the best so far IME… good example of the Chord Sequencer fitting into a successful producer’s workflow.

Oh look! He created an 8 bar loop. Or was it 16? It was just a loop. I would hope that folks could go beyond a loop and create an entire song with this Player.
Maybe this Player is just for creating more loops? :?
TBF I think he was creating the hook for a track, not the track as a whole. He didn’t present the end result as a finished and releasable track. That’s also been my experience with Chord Sequencer so far…
it is a great sketch pad for each part of a track (A section, B section, pre-chorus, mid 8 etc) which I build up in sequence. I have enough music theory to do this myself (I mean I’ve managed fine for 30+ years without this particular RE…) but what I love is the speed of it, it makes it so fast to try out different transitions and builds.

Yonatan

25 Jul 2022

So there are quite some composing assisting plugins now. Captain Chords, Scaler, Orb studio suite, and also Ujam has an virtual pianist that seem to be a good assistant.
And now this Chord sequencer. I missed out on the intro price.

Anyone has tested several of these?

moneykube

27 Jul 2022

Yonatan wrote:
25 Jul 2022
So there are quite some composing assisting plugins now. Captain Chords, Scaler, Orb studio suite, and also Ujam has an virtual pianist that seem to be a good assistant.

not enough time for testing yet... summer is crazy... saw orb and said no time... have not tested Ujam I own... heard good things about Captain chords and Scaler >>>> but no time to go down that path either... I have so many racks and VST to learn... you can talk to me in 20 years... maybe time will be kind.. :lol:
IF WE ARE STILL HERE THAT IS :thumbs_up:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Yonatan

27 Jul 2022

moneykube wrote:
27 Jul 2022
Yonatan wrote:
25 Jul 2022

not enough time for testing yet... summer is crazy... saw orb and said no time... have not tested Ujam I own... heard good things about Captain chords and Scaler >>>> but no time to go down that path either... I have so many racks and VST to learn... you can talk to me in 20 years... maybe time will be kind.. :lol:
IF WE ARE STILL HERE THAT IS :thumbs_up:
Haha 😂. I feel you!
Will continue look on youtube reviews.
Think I lean towards next sale get CS and ujam virtual pianist. Enough for my needs.

Soundcells

27 Jul 2022

selig wrote:
21 Jul 2022
manisnotabird wrote:
20 Jul 2022
Not surprised, but disappointed that new chord sets are going to be released as Reason+ packs and not updates to the device itself. Tips me over into not buying it.
Are you sure all the Packs have 'new chords'? The packs I looked at didn't have any new chord sets, just a bunch of devices playing appropriate sounds using existing chord sets. But maybe some of the Packs I didn't check out have new chords (but not the lost chord, sadly still lost)?
I also think that the current Chord Sequenzcer related sound packs do not contain new chord sets - they are "merely" combinator patches matching the chord set selected.

I have made 10 of the chord sets. These were then sent to Reason Studios and they incorporated them into the RE.
A next (and independent) step were then sound packs in a certain musical range using the supplied chord sets ...

RobC

28 Jul 2022

It finally seems to be a Player, where I can create my own chords, then play around with them, but comes with so much extra, which ups the price big time, compared to what I need. : P

Yeah, I know, I can just record my chords and throw them in a good old NN-XT, for cheap, but it's not exactly the same.

crimsonwarlock

28 Jul 2022

RobC wrote:
28 Jul 2022
It finally seems to be a Player, where I can create my own chords, then play around with them, but comes with so much extra, which ups the price big time, compared to what I need. : P
ChordSet let you create your own chords, in a more experimental way, and for a lot less money: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... /chordset/
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

huggermugger

28 Jul 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
28 Jul 2022
ChordSet let you create your own chords, in a more experimental way, and for a lot less money: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... /chordset/
Very interesting, and a nice touch to have optional separate note outputs. Also, strumming, which ChordSequencer should have had.

crimsonwarlock

28 Jul 2022

huggermugger wrote:
28 Jul 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
28 Jul 2022
Very interesting, and a nice touch to have optional separate note outputs. Also, strumming, which ChordSequencer should have had.
Together with NoteSet you get a lot of functionality that goes way beyond what Chord Sequencer can do, just check out the videos on the shop pages. As a bundle it is even cheaper: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bund ... et-bundle/
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

sofine

31 Jul 2022

Hi guys,

I logged a ticket with Reason Studios 12 days ago but despite a few prompts they have not responded.

When I load the Chord Sequencer RE it is missing the circular (and other UI elements) which limits is usefulness. It works fine on my Macbook, but this issue is with my windows machine is my main studio machine.

I'm up to date with updates and deleted and reinstalled the Chord Seq RE. I do not have this issue with any other RE's nor any VSTs in any of my DAWs.

Any help much appreciated,

Cheers.
Attachments
chord seq bug.png
chord seq bug.png (295.34 KiB) Viewed 3904 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2022

Hmm. Oh well, bought it for €4. It’s a lot more basic than I initially thought. Could do everything with the other REs I’ve already got. Ach well, not to worry.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

buddard
RE Developer

31 Jul 2022

sofine wrote:
31 Jul 2022
Hi guys,

I logged a ticket with Reason Studios 12 days ago but despite a few prompts they have not responded.
Response might be a bit slower at the moment since most people in Sweden are on vacation from mid July to mid August.
When I load the Chord Sequencer RE it is missing the circular (and other UI elements) which limits is usefulness. It works fine on my Macbook, but this issue is with my windows machine is my main studio machine.

I'm up to date with updates and deleted and reinstalled the Chord Seq RE. I do not have this issue with any other RE's nor any VSTs in any of my DAWs.
Are you only seeing issues with Chord Sequencer, or do you also have missing graphics in Bassline Generator, Pattern Mutator and the envelope thumbnails in Europa?

If you're running a PC with a graphics card from the ATI Radeon HD series, there's a known issue with the drivers not being fully OpenGL 4.1 compliant.

sofine

31 Jul 2022

Thanks buddard. I enjoy your RE's that I own.

Holiday season makes sense, possibly no harm for them to add a line of text to their tiketing portal to let us know :)

I do have a Radeon card but Bassline Generator and Pattern Mutator are fine, from memory, but I will check again today.

Cheers.

sofine

01 Aug 2022

buddard wrote:
31 Jul 2022
If you're running a PC with a graphics card from the ATI Radeon HD series, there's a known issue with the drivers not being fully OpenGL 4.1 compliant.
So I had time to check Reason today and you are correct, there are gfx issues with Bassline Generator, Pattern Mutator and Europa. My GFX card is a AMD Radeon HD 5450 using OpenGL 4.5.13399. It's a legacy card so I guess I am out of luck and will need to get a new GFX card soon if I want to avoid these issues.

Thx again.

ordjob2

01 Aug 2022

sofine wrote:
01 Aug 2022
buddard wrote:
31 Jul 2022
So I had time to check Reason today and you are correct, there are gfx issues with Bassline Generator, Pattern Mutator and Europa. My GFX card is a AMD Radeon HD 5450 using OpenGL 4.5.13399. It's a legacy card so I guess I am out of luck and will need to get a new GFX card soon if I want to avoid these issues.

Thx again.
solution: viewtopic.php?p=571479#p571479

sofine

02 Aug 2022

ordjob2 wrote:
01 Aug 2022
sofine wrote:
01 Aug 2022

Thx again.
solution: viewtopic.php?p=571479#p571479
Thank you so much for pointing me towards that solution, it worked perfectly! :thumbup:

stratatonic

02 Aug 2022

MuttReason wrote:
22 Jul 2022
stratatonic wrote:
21 Jul 2022

Oh look! He created an 8 bar loop. Or was it 16? It was just a loop. I would hope that folks could go beyond a loop and create an entire song with this Player.
Maybe this Player is just for creating more loops? :?
TBF I think he was creating the hook for a track, not the track as a whole. He didn’t present the end result as a finished and releasable track. That’s also been my experience with Chord Sequencer so far…
it is a great sketch pad for each part of a track (A section, B section, pre-chorus, mid 8 etc) which I build up in sequence. I have enough music theory to do this myself (I mean I’ve managed fine for 30+ years without this particular RE…) but what I love is the speed of it, it makes it so fast to try out different transitions and builds.
I understand your "sketch pad" view, for using CS for each part, but that's not what I am seeing at all in all the YT examples. Even the RS live stream - from what I checked out later - didn't go into anything beyond an initial loop. Just a chord progression. And then building vertically on that chord progression. Maybe hints as to where this chord progression could go to complete another section would be useful for those that need it. (?)
madmacman wrote:
21 Jul 2022
I tend to disagree. What‘s the point creating an entire song with this player? IMHO it‘s a tool for supporting the composing process. If I have the A part, the bridge, but need some nudges for a proper and interesting B part, then I reach out for this player. 8 bars, 16 bars? I‘m totally fine with it. :)
Yeah, that's fine, but all the tuts I have seen so far didn't do that. They just created the initial looop.

stratatonic

02 Aug 2022

buddard wrote:
31 Jul 2022
sofine wrote:
31 Jul 2022
Hi guys,

Response might be a bit slower at the moment since most people in Sweden are on vacation from mid July to mid August.
I'm glad you Swedes are enjoying what little summer you get! :) But running a company that deals internationally should entail having some manpower available for those who don't live in Sweden. Or who aren't even in summer right now. Logging a ticket and not getting a response in 2 weeks even after "a few prompts" is pretty bad, imo.

MuttReason

03 Aug 2022

stratatonic wrote:
02 Aug 2022
I understand your "sketch pad" view, for using CS for each part, but that's not what I am seeing at all in all the YT examples. Even the RS live stream - from what I checked out later - didn't go into anything beyond an initial loop. Just a chord progression. And then building vertically on that chord progression. Maybe hints as to where this chord progression could go to complete another section would be useful for those that need it. (?)
True, I've noticed that too in all the videos I've seen so far. People essentially knocking up a quick 8 bars and saying 'that's cool'. I guess my point is that (for me) that's the beginning of what the Player can do, not the totality. I'm now using it to write sections not just a quick sequence. It's pretty easy to try out chords that work for one bit of a track then switch to a different root note for another section and play around with ideas in (for example) the relative minor to the previous section's major or a new section that's a minor third up from the previous section. Can get some pretty dense harmonic movements down that way.

I can do this without CS (I have reasonable theory and keyboard chops) but it just makes it easier. And like most of the devices in Reason IME, there are often ways to use them that range far beyond the usual YT demo.

That said, I do still like that particular CS video, he's only using the Player for the basics but I like his attitude and energy.

vncnt

18 Aug 2022

Would it be beneficial to have an additional option to make Chord Sequencer compatible with the Nashville Number System?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2022

I'm getting a bit bugged by CS. I'm by no means good on the piano but I can play chord sequences and know what I want. Figured CS would make it easier and give me a multitude of options I probably wouldn't have thought of and I guess it does in a way. But...why no option to start in a minor key. Cm. I know I can edit the major chord but a button for minor would have been pretty good. Gotta dig miners right?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

motuscott

18 Aug 2022

Coal is killing us.
Sorry Figg, unable to stop myself
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2022

motuscott wrote:
18 Aug 2022
Coal is killing us.
Sorry Figg, unable to stop myself
Dig it

...or Figg it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

motuscott

18 Aug 2022

vncnt wrote:
18 Aug 2022
Would it be beneficial to have an additional option to make Chord Sequencer compatible with the Nashville Number System?
Nashville Number System?!?
With the possible exception of Selig’s Naskvile roots, who in the known modern music making universe uses this?
Rap Country?

I’m starting a system of music notation based on Smiley Faces
Like me on FacePunch or my Patron tequila slush fund. Goal: 1 Bagillion
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

huggermugger

18 Aug 2022

MrFigg wrote:
18 Aug 2022
I'm getting a bit bugged by CS. I'm by no means good on the piano but I can play chord sequences and know what I want. Figured CS would make it easier and give me a multitude of options I probably wouldn't have thought of and I guess it does in a way. But...why no option to start in a minor key. Cm. I know I can edit the major chord but a button for minor would have been pretty good. Gotta dig miners right?
This is a drawback with the workflow in CS, the chord sets have their tonalities baked in. Within CS, you can't easily convert a major key chord set to minor. A quite good and very quick solution is to insert Scales & Chords and set it to the minor of the same root (or, of course, set it to all kinds of interesting alternative scales. I've found this adds a lot of value to the limited number of built-in chord sets).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 2.01.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 2.01.41 PM.png (421.33 KiB) Viewed 3299 times

• Information