(90s influenced Electronic) - Flashback (UPDATED)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
moofi

17 Jul 2022

Then I can recommend AGK headphones, light on bass, brilliant highs. :-)

And sure, it is a matter of taste. Then I feel like this song is supposed to move hips and what´s better suited than the bottom end? :-D Like said, I felt like bass and highs were taken out on purpose for a drop to follow. Also the clarity I find quite important, though the edit isn´t perfect in that sense either it opens up the mix also being more present in the stereofield. Btw have you listened to the edit? Would be interested in what you think about it.
crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 Jul 2022
moofi wrote:
17 Jul 2022
Then I do neither :-)
Fair enough :thumbup:

But back to the bass issue, it is of course also a matter of taste and even more of perception. We all hear stuff different, so I might hear more low frequencies than you do. Case in point, most modern headphones are too bass-heavy for me, and I can't listen to any music on those without getting a head age within minutes.

Uman's

17 Jul 2022

I also use headphones that force the bass a bit. For once, I find the track balanced. :lol:

Whatever the headphones, I find that it is better to listen on a stereo system.
We gain in definition and also in spatiality.

Headphones are a solution for building your track, but final listening on speakers is essential.
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

crimsonwarlock

17 Jul 2022

moofi wrote:
17 Jul 2022
Yep, that's precisely what I use in my studio :thumbup:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

moofi

17 Jul 2022

Naturally listening to speakers is different, already simply because both ears get input from both speakers.

Currently headphones are the only true option where I am. Possibly at least geting an affordable set of in-ears e.g. could be an extension of the current listening situation.

Uman's wrote:
17 Jul 2022
I also use headphones that force the bass a bit. For once, I find the track balanced. :lol:

Whatever the headphones, I find that it is better to listen on a stereo system.
We gain in definition and also in spatiality.

Headphones are a solution for building your track, but final listening on speakers is essential.

moofi

17 Jul 2022

Allight :-D

What model you got?

crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 Jul 2022
moofi wrote:
17 Jul 2022
Yep, that's precisely what I use in my studio :thumbup:

Uman's

17 Jul 2022

moofi wrote:
17 Jul 2022

Currently headphones are the only true option where I am. Possibly at least geting an affordable set of in-ears e.g. could be an extension of the current listening situation.
No way. Better to invest in good speakers.
The best thing is to listen on different systems to perfect the mastering of a track.
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

Creativemind

17 Jul 2022

RTFX wrote:
25 Jun 2022
That was some trip down memory lane. I heard some prodigy, some big beat, sven väth and maybe some orbital.
I really liked that sequence from 0:53!
However, i do have some thoughts.
Allow me to share.
Chizmata was spot on with his comment about feeling like its a demo.
Indeed you go all the way from start to finish, without a break or breather, intro or outro.
Something like a commercial for a 90’s vst-rave generator-kinda thing.
Dont get me wrong. Nothing wrong with it, but it seemed to me heavily compressed and as loud as possible.
I bet it was a fun project and i wonder what you bring to the table next time
Don't know where you heard Prodigy in that. Lol!

Good tune though. Had a soundtrack to say a Megadrive shoot-em up or something feel to it.

Nice bass sound, was Algoritm used for that?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

moofi

17 Jul 2022

No, I wasn´t negating your comment :-D

I´m just saying, due to my current living situation, headphones are the only true option I currently have. :-)
I got a pair of ADAM F7 monitors I would use otherwise, then I first would have to find an appartment.
I´m in a hotelroom sponsored by social wellfare due to not having found a place to stay since moving here in 2019.

And yes, naturally it´s welcomed to listen on several different speakers and also headphones for mixing/mastering, something I´m doing within the possibilities of the given situation. I was specifically mentioning an affordable if not cheap pair of in-ears to have at least one additional listening environment comparison available at hand besides goin to friends´places and check on their hifi e.g.
Uman's wrote:
17 Jul 2022
moofi wrote:
17 Jul 2022

No way. Better to invest in good speakers.
The best thing is to listen on different systems to perfect the mastering of a track.

moofi

17 Jul 2022

:-)

Creativemind wrote:
17 Jul 2022
[...]

[...]

Creativemind

18 Jul 2022

moofi wrote:
17 Jul 2022

Creativemind wrote:
17 Jul 2022
[...]

[...]
No offence but you've answered for someone else, do you do that in conversation as well? lol!

Yeah that song might sound a bit like it but overall Prodigy, no, been listening to them 30 years. One of there best tracks is:-

:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Heigen5

18 Jul 2022

Nice track really. Liking all of it!

moofi

18 Jul 2022

I felt your question was a general one, not specifically and exclusively for RTFX, especially because three other people including Tritone mentioned prodigy aswell and thatfor replied, especially because I can quite relate to the sentiment. Even if it was the case, it´s basically joining a conversation after an occuring question resonated.
I at least assume the goal is to get to the point, not who asked who what.

In regards to the song, if you don´t hear Prodigy in the drums and the bass in especially this excerpt I´m wondering what mysterious other Prodigy you might have been listening to :-D ;-)
:
SMBU.mp3
(271.38 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Of course the complete song isn´t exactly like Prodigy, and introduces additional stuff, then especially RTFX wrote "I heard some prodigy, some big beat, sven väth and maybe some orbital", saying it has some of it.

Creativemind wrote:
18 Jul 2022
moofi wrote:
17 Jul 2022

No offence but you've answered for someone else, do you do that in conversation as well? lol!

Yeah that song might sound a bit like it but overall Prodigy, no, been listening to them 30 years. One of there best tracks is:-

moofi

18 Jul 2022

You hadn´t heard about Sven Väth before? Quite astonishing I find :-)

Found a pleasant picture from ´94 on youtube:
Papa Väth.jpg
Papa Väth.jpg (406.99 KiB) Viewed 1087 times

Not about getting into him much, just a quick example of him collaborating with Anthony Rother, if you know who that is :-D
Very long build-up, finally worth the wait I find. Pretty oldskool.

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Jun 2022

[...]
Never heard of Sven Väth or Orbital. Might check those out. :puf_smile:
[...]

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2022

moofi wrote:
15 Jul 2022
Very nice song :-) yet: WHERE IS THE BASS? :-D

Created a bass edit of a part and also added air. Not perfect, especially because I don´t know how it translates to anyones monitoring and the highs are a bit clangy with the hihats, then it should emphasis what I mean anyway :-)
I added just slightly more low end to the track. But it's very very subtle. Your example was too extreme with the highs and lows for my personal taste. And also I'm so used to the way the song sounds.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2022

Creativemind wrote:
17 Jul 2022
Good tune though. Had a soundtrack to say a Megadrive shoot-em up or something feel to it.

Nice bass sound, was Algoritm used for that?
Thanks. The deeper bass playing through most of the track is Megasaur, but the more midrangy bass sound at 0:34 is Algoritm.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2022

Heigen5 wrote:
18 Jul 2022
Nice track really. Liking all of it!
Thanks man :puf_smile:

moofi

20 Jul 2022

It´s just slightly better. But it´s very very subtle :-D Even with the new version you uploaded I feel i´ts too midheavy. Besides the bass I simply experience it a little dull in the upper range. The edit I uploaded could, like you said, be a little heavy indeed. Then I can still relate to the tendency. I´m really wondering how you would feel listening to it on the dancefloor on a bigger PA, especially in context with other songs.

Anyway, I´m gonna listen on an additional system at some point.
I can tell, I´m very much enjoying the song with the edit. Listened steadily over hours while creating Combinators here :-)
Would be interested in stem mastering though (don´t know how you feel about making it available in a classic 4 stem way.) Even though I adusted it a little further along the way, it´s difficult to edit like that because when introducing air it makes the pad alright e.g. while hihats and the lead synth are too sizzly and vice versa.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
20 Jul 2022
moofi wrote:
15 Jul 2022
Very nice song :-) yet: WHERE IS THE BASS? :-D

Created a bass edit of a part and also added air. Not perfect, especially because I don´t know how it translates to anyones monitoring and the highs are a bit clangy with the hihats, then it should emphasis what I mean anyway :-)
I added just slightly more low end to the track. But it's very very subtle. Your example was too extreme with the highs and lows for my personal taste. And also I'm so used to the way the song sounds.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2022

moofi wrote:
20 Jul 2022
It´s just slightly better. But it´s very very subtle :-D Even with the new version you uploaded I feel i´ts too midheavy. Besides the bass I simply experience it a little dull in the upper range. The edit I uploaded could, like you said, be a little heavy indeed. Then I can still relate to the tendency. I´m really wondering how you would feel listening to it on the dancefloor on a bigger PA, especially in context with other songs.

I can tell, I´m very much enjoying the song with the edit. Listened steadily over hours while creating Combinators here :-)
Would be interested in stem mastering though (don´t know how you feel about making it available in a classic 4 stem way.) Even though I adusted it a little further along the way, it´s difficult to edit like that because when introducing air it makes the pad alright e.g. while hihats and the lead synth are too sizzly and vice versa.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
20 Jul 2022

Nah I'm good. I'd like to keep the song as it is. Not interested in making any stems for further mastering tweaks. I don't see the song ever being played on a dance floor on a PA anyway. I make music to please myself. If someone else happens to like it, that's great. But I really don't care how it fits into a real world context (for example a club) or how it compares to other music.
Also I've already moved on to making new music. I'm currently working on two new tracks, both in completely different styles to this one. So I've already left Flashback behind me. It's done.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Jul 2022
moofi wrote:
20 Jul 2022

Nah I'm good. I'd like to keep the song as it is. Not interested in making any stems for further mastering tweaks. I don't see the song ever being played on a dance floor on a PA anyway. I make music to please myself. If someone else happens to like it, that's great. But I really don't care how it fits into a real world context (for example a club) or how it compares to other music.
Also I've already moved on to making new music. I'm currently working on two new tracks, both in completely different styles to this one. So I've already left Flashback behind me. It's done.
I changed it back to the way it was. :lol: Went for a bike ride this morning and listened to the track again on earbuds and I just thought the track overall had more clarity the way it was before, just gelled together better as a whole. I thought the extra bass stole attention from the more important aspects of the song, all the melodies, chords, riffs etc.

crimsonwarlock

21 Jul 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Jul 2022
I changed it back to the way it was. :lol: Went for a bike ride this morning and listened to the track again on earbuds and I just thought the track overall had more clarity the way it was before, just gelled together better as a whole. I thought the extra bass stole attention from the more important aspects of the song, all the melodies, chords, riffs etc.
I told you it was great as it was... and now is again :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
21 Jul 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Jul 2022
I told you it was great as it was... and now is again :puf_bigsmile:
Yep :puf_smile:

moofi

21 Jul 2022

Yeah, allight, just been a thought :-)
TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Jul 2022
moofi wrote:
20 Jul 2022

TheGodOfRainbows

21 Jul 2022

Another cool song from Tritone. What more can I say? I love those lush chord/pads, and the driving bassline is great. All the little melodic phrases, and those “siren/alarm” sounds are a nice touch.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2022

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
21 Jul 2022
Another cool song from Tritone. What more can I say? I love those lush chord/pads, and the driving bassline is great. All the little melodic phrases, and those “siren/alarm” sounds are a nice touch.
Thanks man. :puf_smile:
How are all your different musical projects going btw? Is anything close to release?

Tomtom

22 Jul 2022

That sounds really good. :clap:
Cool synth sounds. too. Reminds me a lot of the 90s - like you have written in the title. Somestimes some pattern remind me even of The Prodigy, and then followed by some nice and soft melodies.

• Information