Akai MPC Key 61 - FIRST LOOK!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Jul 2022

EnochLight wrote:
18 Jul 2022
Congrats! Also keep in mind that retrospective MIDI record is running at all times, even with the transport stopped. To print any noodling you’ve been doing, just hold down shift + record. You’ve got tons to keep busy, so I’d personally not buy any of the new synths that just came out until they go on sale. Fabric XL and OPx-4 are awesome, the rest are “meh”. Hype was my goto before I got Fabric XL.
What sort of discount would you expect? I'm seeing $250 atm.

And tbh, I'm not so eager to make any major purchases now because I've already splashed out on quite a lot this last year (and mostly for a NI/Maschine workflow, which I'm keeping).

At the same time, I should be able to use this as-is (especially for just knocking out ideas as they come to me). I've got a hell of a lot of sample content to throw at it as well.

EnochLight

18 Jul 2022

avasopht wrote:
18 Jul 2022
What sort of discount would you expect? I'm seeing $250 atm.

And tbh, I'm not so eager to make any major purchases now because I've already splashed out on quite a lot this last year (and mostly for a NI/Maschine workflow, which I'm keeping).

At the same time, I should be able to use this as-is (especially for just knocking out ideas as they come to me). I've got a hell of a lot of sample content to throw at it as well.
Ahhh my bad - didn't realize the plugin bundle was 50% off right now. Honestly, for $250 that's a pretty decent deal, if anything just to get Fabric XL and OPX-4 (to clarify, OPX-4 is a pretty decent FM synth for a standalone groovebox and Fabric XL is sort of like a new and improved Hype). But if you're already getting plenty of use out of Hype and intend to use your own sample content, then I'd probably hold off. I'm sure they'll go on sale at 50% off during Black Friday or other typical sales throughout the year. The auto-sampler can make your life a lot easier on the MPC (or MPC Software) if you want to capture a bunch of plugins from your DAW or NI/Maschine, plus there are a few utility apps out there that will convert Maschine libraries to MPC Expansions. So for no cost, you can already add to your sample library stuff, and Keygroups on the MPC don't suffer from any polyphony issues. Just be sure to use a decent SD Card to store your content (and always remember to software eject it via your OS before switching from Computer Mode to standalone mode). I know that last part seems simple, but believe me - forgetting to eject is one of the biggest problems new MPC users have with their MPC (destroying your file structure and data).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Jul 2022

Oh sorry my bad, I must have been looking at the Fabric collection for $250 😳

EnochLight

18 Jul 2022

avasopht wrote:
18 Jul 2022
Oh sorry my bad, I must have been looking at the Fabric collection for $250 😳
Hahahah - yeah, that's a bit pricey. If the entire bundle was on sale for 50% off (Fabric collection PLUS the OPx-4, etc), then that might be tempting. But from the sounds of it, you already have plenty to be at your disposal, so unless you are really missing an FM synth, I'd hold off and just stick to your MPC One's built-in stuff + sample your own.

BTW, what genre of music do you usually do?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Jul 2022

EnochLight wrote:
18 Jul 2022
Hahahah - yeah, that's a bit pricey. If the entire bundle was on sale for 50% off (Fabric collection PLUS the OPx-4, etc), then that might be tempting. But from the sounds of it, you already have plenty to be at your disposal, so unless you are really missing an FM synth, I'd hold off and just stick to your MPC One's built-in stuff + sample your own.

BTW, what genre of music do you usually do?
I like think of it as hip-hop & rnb adjacent 👌

EnochLight

18 Jul 2022

avasopht wrote:
18 Jul 2022
I like think of it as hip-hop & rnb adjacent 👌
:thumbup: :D

EnochLight

21 Jul 2022

On topic, here's an awesome tutorial/getting started around the new Sounds Browser in 2.11:

https://www.mpc-tutor.com/mpc-tutorial- ... owser-101/

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2022

EnochLight wrote:
21 Jul 2022
On topic, here's an awesome tutorial/getting started around the new Sounds Browser in 2.11:

https://www.mpc-tutor.com/mpc-tutorial- ... owser-101/
The browser has been useful, though it's unfortunate that it lacks a preview.

Btw I was trying out the Fabric demo last night, and it's exactly what I wanted!

It's the right timbre, it has the right sound when I make my usual tweaks, and covers the range of sounds I like to work with.

I could live without an FM synth or the string library. I can do that with Komplete if I must.

If anything I'm debating returning the MPC One to get a Live for faster file loading/saving and easier loading of Splice content (but it doesn't seem worth it just yet).

I'm surprised with Fabric. The lack of demos gave me the impression it had a severely limited sound set.

Instead what I found was a device that competes with workstations. I was not expecting that.

EnochLight

21 Jul 2022

avasopht wrote:
21 Jul 2022
The browser has been useful, though it's unfortunate that it lacks a preview.
Yeah, the audio previews only work in the older file browser. Wish the new Sounds Browser layer had them as well.
avasopht wrote:
21 Jul 2022
Btw I was trying out the Fabric demo last night, and it's exactly what I wanted!

It's the right timbre, it has the right sound when I make my usual tweaks, and covers the range of sounds I like to work with.

I could live without an FM synth or the string library. I can do that with Komplete if I must.

If anything I'm debating returning the MPC One to get a Live for faster file loading/saving and easier loading of Splice content (but it doesn't seem worth it just yet).

I'm surprised with Fabric. The lack of demos gave me the impression it had a severely limited sound set.

Instead what I found was a device that competes with workstations. I was not expecting that.
Yeah, Fabric XL is pretty damn sweet. Like I said, I feel it's like a new and improved Hype Synth - it has so much content it's almost overwhelming. Easily a workstation-class plugin. The Live II would be a bit faster assuming you installed an SSD into it and loaded all of your content onto there, but it won't be that noticeable IMHO. RAM still remains the largest bottleneck (especially with the larger sample-based plugins like Fabric XL, and even on some of the lighter Fabric presets), and that's where the MPC Key 61's 4 GB of RAM helps out a lot.

Also, there's a critical bug with the MPC and Splice right now, and if you move your Splice library onto an SSD (or any removable storage), many of your Splice files may not load and the sub-categories file structures get screwed up. Akai are aware but there is no fix in sight as of right now. For the time being, it only works flawless if you keep your Splice folder location in the stock Factory Storage, which isn't possible with me since my Splice library is like 50-60 GB and growing. :puf_unhappy:

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2022

Right, so a little update.

I returned the MPC One and have been wrestling with what I should get next.

I also got the Air Fabric Collection for $200 (£200) (60% off). I purchased mine from the Akai store, but you can install the VSTs from Air to use in other DAWs without loading MPC Beats.

My options were:

1. A really good digital piano (because I love playing the piano but wanted to remove the additional steps and like graded keys).
2. Akai Force (I like the Push workflow, the extra OLED displays under the 8 knobs, Phantom power and 64 pads).
3. MPC Live 2 (smaller than the Force, can load projects on a PC for completion and stuff, battery + speaker might be nice).
4. MPC Key 61 (double the RAM and all-in-one means I can just switch it on and be ready to go).

I went with the Live 2.

I'm expecting to use this for piano practice (no hooking up my little Dell micro, logging in, and doing other stuff to load a piano) and for live performances. Should probably get a live performance stand ... I also got the Korg micro 261 as it's muuuch lighter than my other keyboards but still playable despite the tiny keys.

It could also be for quickly jotting down ideas as they come (again, less friction to getting started). It felt like there were too many wires ...

I had also considered workstations (MODX, Fantom-0) and groove boxes (MC101, MC707, etc.) to give me something I can immediately play and sketch out ideas on, but I really like the Fabric sounds, and the Live 2 gives me the best of both worlds.

EnochLight

23 Dec 2022

avasopht wrote:
23 Dec 2022
I went with the Live 2.

I'm expecting to use this for piano practice (no hooking up my little Dell micro, logging in, and doing other stuff to load a piano) and for live performances. Should probably get a live performance stand ... I also got the Korg micro 261 as it's muuuch lighter than my other keyboards but still playable despite the tiny keys.

It could also be for quickly jotting down ideas as they come (again, less friction to getting started). It felt like there were too many wires ...

I had also considered workstations (MODX, Fantom-0) and groove boxes (MC101, MC707, etc.) to give me something I can immediately play and sketch out ideas on, but I really like the Fabric sounds, and the Live 2 gives me the best of both worlds.
Congrats!! Yeah the Live II is probably my favorite piece of studio equipment even still today. The battery comes in really handy (unplug and go anywhere!) and the speaker is on pretty much 100% of the time in my studio (and on my patio). I particularly find the speaker useful for monitoring while I sample from a turntable or my iPhone. No need to fire up the whole studio.

In its current firmware iteration (which, at the time of this writing is 2.11.6) pretty much most of the issues have been addressed since 2.11 dropped. And I know Akai will keep releasing maintenance updates.

Glad you stayed in the MPC family - it truly is an awesome production machine. It’s so refreshing to step away from the computer and just produce. :thumbup:

If you need any tips or have any questions, post them (or PM me)!

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2022

EnochLight wrote:
23 Dec 2022
If you need any tips or have any questions, post them (or PM me)!
You're gonna regret saying that 🤣 j/k

Right, first question: how does Reason fit into your workflow (if at all)?

Curious to know what your take is on Tracklib & Splice, and also general tips and tidbits you've picked up in general.

For now, I've just been bouncing tracks from projects that I could use for loops. Reason could be used to create/flavour loops - leveraging its modular automation + devices to give loops some variation before bringing it to the MPC (even to loops created on the MPC). A lot of this can be done in the MPC as well, of course ...

... and then mix on the PC.

---

Now some reporting back on my experience for others.
  1. The speakers are fricking amazing. I've got a pair of Mackie CR4s (small, but they pack a punch) and while not having the same range of bass, I do have to sometimes look at my CR4s to double-check I've not left them on when playing from the internal MPC Live speaker 😲

Right now I'm playing some instrumental backing tracks on my monitors and playing keys using the internal speaker and it's not too bad (even when playing bass).
  2. It's a lot larger than the MPC One. Where I could fit an MPC One, Dell Micro and an audio interface (plus cables) in my rucksack, the MPC Live/Touch will need its own case. I can just about squeeze the Live in if I really had to, but I'm not sure I could fit in the micro and enough cables to justify it.

It's 3.4 kg, so I'd rather have it in a backpack.
  3. The Live does not have a button for Program Edit (like the MPC One does) so you have to hit the Menu button, and then select Program Edit on the touch screen. It's not much of a big deal as it barely adds half a second
  4. I can't stress enough the quality of Fabric. I'd put it above current workstations (except for Yamaha's FM in Montage/MODX) .. it's hard to compete with the XV-5080's range of sounds, but it's easy to make up for those with expansion packs, etc

EnochLight

27 Dec 2022

avasopht wrote:
27 Dec 2022
You're gonna regret saying that j/k

Right, first question: how does Reason fit into your workflow (if at all)?
Right, so when I'm writing on the MPC and mostly finish, I often bring my finalized ideas into Reason as an end stage for mixing and mastering. I'll bounce to stems on my MPC (also explode all Drum Programs before that), and import my stems into Reason and use my typical go-to plugins for mixing and mastering (iZotope Neutron and Ozone). But I can't do vocals or guitar takes on the MPC how I like, so I also use Reason as the final stage for those.

But sometimes I'll run both my MPC and Reason via Ableton Link and sync both over my Wifi, just to "co-compose" using some Rack Extensions and VST that I like - as well as to get down vocal/guitar tracks. I try to keep Reason (and my computer in general) out of the whole production process, as I really prefer picking up my MPC and just getting lost on it. But the audio track length cap on MPC does present a challenge for that stage (more on that below), so Reason does still fit into the process at the end.
avasopht wrote:
27 Dec 2022
Curious to know what your take is on Tracklib & Splice, and also general tips and tidbits you've picked up in general.
I think both Tracklib and Splice are great curated sound sources and very useful. I have a Splice sub (the cheapest tier) that I go back to every 2-3 months. My Splice catalog is fairly large (about 8000+ samples), and it does take a LONG. ASS. TIME. to sync over WiFi if starting clean - that might be the MPC's WiFi radio, or maybe its CPU - I really don't know. :puf_unhappy: But that only happened once when I needed to wipe my Splice catalog on my MPC and start fresh "for reasons". ;) I will say finding content can be challenging on Splice - YMMV. I haven't tried Tracklib but would have no issue trying it if I wanted to sample something and grab a license for a release. That's pretty brilliant, IMHO.
avasopht wrote:
27 Dec 2022
For now, I've just been bouncing tracks from projects that I could use for loops. Reason could be used to create/flavour loops - leveraging its modular automation + devices to give loops some variation before bringing it to the MPC (even to loops created on the MPC). A lot of this can be done in the MPC as well, of course ...

... and then mix on the PC.
Yeah, I've imported some Reason projects into my MPC as well (as stems). But because it currently doesn't have disk streaming, you're locked to a max length of 4 minute 59 second audio tracks or it truncates the audio, so be warned. Hopefully that'll be addressed at some point. ;)
avasopht wrote:
27 Dec 2022
Now some reporting back on my experience for others.
  • The speakers are fricking amazing. I've got a pair of Mackie CR4s (small, but they pack a punch) and while not having the same range of bass, I do have to sometimes look at my CR4s to double-check I've not left them on when playing from the internal MPC Live speaker 😲

Right now I'm playing some instrumental backing tracks on my monitors and playing keys using the internal speaker and it's not too bad (even when playing bass).
Yeah I love the built-in speaker! I mean, I'd never use it to mix on or anything, but for getting quick ideas down and using it as a monitor while sampling from my turntable or other sources it's super convenient. Sounds a lot better than I thought it would.
avasopht wrote:
27 Dec 2022
  • It's a lot larger than the MPC One. Where I could fit an MPC One, Dell Micro and an audio interface (plus cables) in my rucksack, the MPC Live/Touch will need its own case. I can just about squeeze the Live in if I really had to, but I'm not sure I could fit in the micro and enough cables to justify it.

It's 3.4 kg, so I'd rather have it in a backpack.
Yeah, its size and weight is probably my biggest complaint. I've carried it on planes and taken it on vacation more than a few times, and let me tell you - it's impossible to NOT feel its weight and size LOL! I need to switch to a padded back pack because right now I still use a Propellerhead-branded laptop case that I throw over my shoulder, and it HURTS. Lol! :lol:
avasopht wrote:
27 Dec 2022
  • The Live does not have a button for Program Edit (like the MPC One does) so you have to hit the Menu button, and then select Program Edit on the touch screen. It's not much of a big deal as it barely adds half a second
Just add Program Edit to your side slide-out menu. I mean, it's still 2 "taps" (or rather, a slide and a tap) but it's far less confusing to only look at 4 choices rather than 16, and it's available from all of the necessary spots.
avasopht wrote:
27 Dec 2022
  • I can't stress enough the quality of Fabric. I'd put it above current workstations (except for Yamaha's FM in Montage/MODX) .. it's hard to compete with the XV-5080's range of sounds, but it's easy to make up for those with expansion packs, etc
Yeah I totally agree. Fabric XL is just sublime (as is Mini-D and OPx-4). Between those 3 synths (and Drum Synth), both MPC (and Force) are really well-rounded workstations. If I had any complaint, it's that none of them have built-in step sequencers so the factory presets (or even user presets) have no "press 1 key = instant inspirational pattern" type stuff. But if that's not your bag, I can see that it won't be on your radar. I've just grown so used to synths like VPS Avenger, Dune 3, DS Thorn, hell - even Reason's own Thor - having a built-in step sequencer really brings out the synth IMHO. But... that's just splitting hairs and me being lazy. :lol:

One very cool thing is - if Fabric XL (or any of the other plugins or Expansions or Keygroups, etc) don't fill a void, you can always Auto-Sample any hardware or VST and bring them onto your MPC. That's always fun!

DaveyG

06 Feb 2024

After quite a few rumours and glimpses, the 37 key version is here and at a very keen price:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/akai-mpc-ke ... n-keyboard

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 Feb 2024

DaveyG wrote:
06 Feb 2024
After quite a few rumours and glimpses, the 37 key version is here and at a very keen price:

Odd that it has the weight as 5.9kg / 13lbs (as does the Music Matters listing) but the Akai Pro page says
4kg / 8.82lbs.

EnochLight

06 Feb 2024

avasopht wrote:
06 Feb 2024
DaveyG wrote:
06 Feb 2024

Odd that it has the weight as 5.9kg / 13lbs (as does the Music Matters listing) but the Akai Pro page says
4kg / 8.82lbs.
The Akai official specs (8.82 pounds) is correct. All of the "reviewers" are saying that it's roughly the weight of the MPC Live II, which is 7.45 pounds.

• Information