Nobody talks about studio monitors here. What are you guys listening on?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
MuttReason

11 Jul 2022

Yamaha MSP3 monitors and a Yamaha HS10W subwoofer. Never really liked them TBH as the subwoofer isn’t a great pairing with the monitor speakers. The sub dominates at anything above about 5% of the full gain range as the MSP3s are pretty underpowered next to the sub. It’s really hard to get mains and sub to ‘glue’ together as a single sound source. Upside is the MSP3s are pretty neutral. However, I’ve stuck with them because the biggest problem I have is my main studio area is an acoustic mess… a long thin room with floor to ceiling windows on one side and poor isolation (stud partition walls) on three sides. Limited options for acoustic treatment, plus the rest of the family don’t appreciate the whole house rattling.

Net outcome is I write and arrange at low volume using the Yamaha monitor set up then do most of my mixing with headphones. I started using the Waves NX and Ocean Way plugins that adjust EQ curves for different headphones and simulate mixing in a high-end control room but I found they had such a dramatic effect on the overall sound that I didn’t believe what I was hearing back (if that makes sense). It was easy to get something that sounded great using the Waves plugins but sounded terrible when I played a track back anywhere else.

tomusurp

18 Jul 2022

Ottostrom wrote:
30 Jun 2022
Tomeo55 wrote:
29 Jun 2022
I have them on speaker stands behind desk on each side. Have u ever heard them in action? They’re one if a kind IMO because the response is flat for the most part but the sound is very detailed and rich. They’re also amazing for playback , not just mixing and mastering. FYI my studio is not even acoustically treated, but there’s workarounds for that ( thanks to gear ,software and production techniques)
Everybody seems to really like how detailed the sound is.
One small issue I've seen people bring up is their internal sound, which seems to stay the same no matter what volume you have them on.
Is this something you've noticed?
I don't understand, what do you mean by internal sound?
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/c/TomUsurp
https://www.tomusurp.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

Ottostrom

19 Jul 2022

Tomeo55 wrote:
18 Jul 2022
Ottostrom wrote:
30 Jun 2022

Everybody seems to really like how detailed the sound is.
One small issue I've seen people bring up is their internal sound, which seems to stay the same no matter what volume you have them on.
Is this something you've noticed?
A constant hissing that is audible from the speakers (not like from internal electronics but like a noise floor).

tomusurp

02 Aug 2022

Honestly I only hear some tiny hissing if I put my ear very close to the speaker. I think that's normal. Otherwise I sit about 3-4 feet away from the speakers and don't hear it at all, even when I'm blasting it loud
Ottostrom wrote:
19 Jul 2022
Tomeo55 wrote:
18 Jul 2022

A constant hissing that is audible from the speakers (not like from internal electronics but like a noise floor).
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/c/TomUsurp
https://www.tomusurp.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

carvingcode

07 Aug 2022

Focal Alpha 50. Perfect for my 8’10’ studio.

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2022

I'm on a tiny pair of Mackie CR4's at home, but spend at least a few hours each week at Pirate Studios where they have the Yamaha HS8's.

I've also got a pair of AKG-240 Studio's, but rarely use them as I'm always worried about my ears (which contradicts the point of getting them).

demt

10 Aug 2022

Thanks to boogie-woogie on the experiential piano RE, an eternal succession of easily bust speakers currently a guitar amp possibly a synth combo later
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

illlumen

22 Aug 2022

2x Yamaha HS8 here. Together with Sonarworks and my good old Audio Technica I couldn’t be more happy!

dan_g

23 Aug 2022

i recently updated my monitors from tannoy reveal 402s to genelec 8010s. although the genelecs are smaller they have way more resolution. (of course you need a sub when using monitors with only 3,5" speakers). i love the genelecs. the have way less self-noise and are soooo compact.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

sublunar

25 Aug 2022

I'm going to be the odd one out here..

My studio interface is output to a Pioneer home stereo receiver and Sony home stereo speakers. Why? Because I already had them.

I've tested my recordings in various environments such as in our vehicles, through headphones, apple ear pods, etc and they sound just like they do in my studio. I use a pair of Superlux HD681F headphones while recording in the studio and I've got Sony MDR-7506 (both of which are considered good headphones that punch way above their price) in my laptop bag for when I'm out. Never heard anything come through in any other medium that made me second guess my current setup because it sounds good no matter where I listen.

I've thought about getting a pair of HS8's just to get more in line with "industry standard" practices, but then I lose the ability to change the volume with a remote lol.

I'm not convinced that spending money on some fancy studio monitors when I already have an amp/speakers that work is worth the investment. I'd rather spend that ~$1K on a new instrument or something. Frankly, I'm surprised more people don't do this. Especially considering how cheap you can pick up a receiver and set of decent speakers for. You can tell me I'm an idiot for doing it this way, but the truth is in the mix and my mixes seem to hold up fine.

Voyager

29 Aug 2022

On Quested S8R and one avantone mixcube.

deigm

08 Sep 2022

Voyager wrote:
29 Aug 2022
How do you like your questeds? I understand they're supposed to be pretty special. Never heard em myself.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2022

I have Focal Alpha's 80, Adam A7's and Beyerdinamic DT 990 pro (the 250 Ohm version).

I'm quite happy with this combo, get nice translation on my mixes.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2022

sublunar wrote:
25 Aug 2022

I'm not convinced that spending money on some fancy studio monitors when I already have an amp/speakers that work is worth the investment. I'd rather spend that ~$1K on a new instrument or something. Frankly, I'm surprised more people don't do this. Especially considering how cheap you can pick up a receiver and set of decent speakers for. You can tell me I'm an idiot for doing it this way, but the truth is in the mix and my mixes seem to hold up fine.
Nothing wrong in it. 90% of the equation is how you know your monitors, your room and knowing how to achieve what you want. I mixed on a Hi-Fi system for a long time (AMC Amp and a pair of Tannoys) when i started in my bedroom more than 25 years ago... Actually I stopped using the tannoys because of lack of bass, went to a pair of Behringers, and put the tannoys in the living room. Later i sold the behringer because i felt them too mid heavy and the bass had an awkward tone. I then got the A7's but they were also bass lacking for some of the stuff i did and i don't like to use subs. Then i got the Focal, and they're the best for me and i have them for at least 5 years. So there's also this pit fall where you start "searching" for the right monitor and it's a bit difficult to find it. And yes my studio is acoustically treated.

Anyway, a lot of mastering studios use Hi-Fi amps and monitors as their mains. But again, they aim for the less coloring monitors available, lots of power for very dynamic systems, so though Hi-Fi, they are pretty expensive monitors as the B&W Nautilus and such.

That being said there are benefits on studio monitors (specially depending on the type of room you have).

EdGrip

09 Sep 2022

Disclosure mixed their first album, Settle, on an pair of Cerwin Vega hi-fi speakers that were kicking around in their parents' auction house.

Last Alternative

14 Sep 2022

Yamaha HS5’s. And 1 yellow Aventone mixcube for mono.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Voyager

31 Jan 2023

deigm wrote:
08 Sep 2022
Voyager wrote:
29 Aug 2022
How do you like your questeds? I understand they're supposed to be pretty special. Never heard em myself.
My apologies for the late reply, just logged in after a while..

They sound great and i like them a lot. They can be analytical when needed but where they shine the most is in their silky and warm side and are very musical with a fantastic overal representation of the music as whole. They're also not fatiguing at all ( coming from someone with very sensitive hears..).

What i noticed is when you're sitting in the sweetspot the soundstage imaging is impressive. Everything is right there in front of you. But when you're moving your head slightly forward the soundstage is becoming totally 3 dimension, i mean you're totally IN the soundstage while when on the sweetspot everything is in front of you just like a Maestro in front of its orchestra.

Unfortunatrey Quested decided to remore the S8R from their catalogue. The reason is because they wanted the V2108 to be their main 8" and not confuse new potential customers with two differrent 8" monitors.

Listening to them is a good acoustic room is definitely worth it.

Mattvank

05 Feb 2023

I use a cheap kitchen radio, Samsung In Ear Headphones a Scope and a reference track but....

I think about to get some monitor speakers or maybe just one. Just for another view of control but i am not a proffesional and don´t want invest to much so what do you think if you check my tracks. Is something spezific that i miss with my kind of ,,3 D´´ Soundcontrol? and which kind of speakers could help me to improve that in a moderate way?
https://mattvank.bandcamp.com/

arnigretar

05 Feb 2023

Yamaha HS7. Love 'em :)
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

robussc

05 Feb 2023

A pair of KRK Rokit 6s. I’ve tried mixing on headphones but for some reason a good balance eludes me. On speakers I find it much easier.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

• Information