EQ6T "atmo EQ" released

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
turn2on
RE Developer

15 Jul 2022

EQ6T 6-Band Equalizer:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... equalizer/

• Brings transparency, presence at the highest level
• Saving natural sound of the signal
• The modern view of the legendary hardware

EQ6T was inspired by the well-known blue EQ and designed with some changes that help to shape EQ bands. EQ6T provides unparalleled transparency and top-end presence, preserving the natural sound of the signal. The EQ works with minimal phase shift, and the ATMO Band interacts with the other bands.

The history of the original hardware “airy” EQ from Cliff Maag* (as most of the musical equalizers ever made) started in 1993 with the introduction of the “AIR BAND” ® to the audio world in the EQ3. Later, with EQ4, this magical EQ gained more power, headroom, and control.

Turn2on’s “EQ6T” Rack Extension is a versatile and powerful take on legendary hardware (this is not an emulation, but rather our modern perspective). It retains the basic functionality with some changes and additions of band shapers, with level trim control of the output signal. With EQ6T, you can use clear control and save the natural sound of the signal.

* All product names, artists, engineers, bands names, trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners. All company, product and service names used are for identification purposes only. Use of these names, trademarks and brands does not imply endorsement

moofi

15 Jul 2022

Any comparison to the Red Rock one already? Asking because I already got RR´s and don´t wanna trial for now.

turn2on
RE Developer

15 Jul 2022

It’s not repeating for the Maag EQ4, EQ3. It have different architecture, starting from sub as low shelf, not a bell band. Additional band shapers and Q add more usability in work with shaping (form the band from baxandall to a notch), also it have another ATMO band frequencies. Some changes to more wider bands levels. Finally it’s only inspired by Maag concept at start of work, and not the emulation of EQ4.
In description we talk about this.
Anyway, this is different EQ to Maag and RedRock and was been build in own way.

moofi

15 Jul 2022

Allight, thank you, gonna check it out :-)
turn2on wrote:
15 Jul 2022
It’s not repeating for the Maag EQ4, EQ3. It have different architecture, starting from sub as low shelf, not a bell band. Additional band shapers and Q add more usability in work with shaping (form the band from baxandall to a notch), also it have another ATMO band frequencies. Some changes to more wider bands levels. Finally it’s only inspired by Maag concept at start of work, and not the emulation of EQ4.
In description we talk about this.
Anyway, this is different EQ to Maag and RedRock and was been build in own way.

moofi

16 Jul 2022

After replying I checked it out. Pleasantly transparent round sound. Only thing I noticed is the Atmo Boost isn´t really noticable at 15-16kHz. If I put several in a row it becomes more obvious. Then it´s sounds quite pleasant. Would it be possible to raise the achievable gain amount for those bands?

Bought anyway :-)

turn2on
RE Developer

16 Jul 2022

Hi, yes. Main bands have boost up to 15db, but ATMO band have only 10 dB boost by original design of EQ4, I think that really need to add bigger boost option, may be 15 dB can be enough to add as option in update

moofi

16 Jul 2022

Sounds good. :-)

Given the quite small impact at least the 15+16kHz bands have I would potentially consider setting the range to possibly something even bigger than + 15dB. I obtained a pleasant sound after putting 4-6 devices in a row with the 16kHz band boost set to max .
turn2on wrote:
16 Jul 2022
Hi, yes. Main bands have boost up to 15db, but ATMO band have only 10 dB boost by original design of EQ4, I think that really need to add bigger boost option, may be 15 dB can be enough to add as option in update

geronimo

29 Jul 2022

How long is the introductory price, please ?

turn2on
RE Developer

19 Aug 2022

UPDATE 1.1 available
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... equalizer/

New “TAAG mode”: the emualtion of the original hardware device.
Switching between EQ curve modes. By default, works as High-Shelf band with own EQ curve characteristics (EQ6T). If TAAG EQ Curve is on, ATMO band emualte “Air-band” EQ curve of the hardware device.
Now “Atmo band Frequency” set the shelf boost frequency. By default, shelf-boost works at 2.5 kHz, 5 kHz, 10 kHz, 15 kHz or 16 kHz.
If TAAG EQ Curve is on, shelf-boost works as hardware device at 2.5 kHz, 5 kHz, 10 kHz, 20 khz, 40 kHz.

“BOOST TWICE”: Increasing Atmo Band Boost range from 0..+10 dB, to 0..+20 dB.
Not avaliable at TAAG EQ curve mode

geronimo

19 Aug 2022

Well, I bought it but with my account, no free update; it is proposed to me against 28 € !

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Aug 2022

geronimo wrote:
19 Aug 2022
Well, I bought it but with my account, no free update; it is proposed to me against 28 € !
Go to Products/ Rack Extensions in your account and update from there.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

geronimo

20 Aug 2022

One recognizes the expert or the man of experience; does it work fine, so _ :wave:

selig
RE Developer

08 Feb 2024

Can you elaborate on the “minimal phase shift” claim made? What does this actually mean? On the original the same curves can be replicated with any other similar EQ - to get the curves to match you end up with exactly the same amount of phase shift, so I’ve always been unclear about this.

FWIW, the air band may be the only band making this claim, since it’s the band that adds overall level to ALL frequencies when boosting the highs. This is how it appears to use less phase shift, since some of the boost is just level boost, correct?

Was always curious about this and figured you would know as well as anyone since you’ve done a deep dive into this hardware here. Apologies if this is off topic, I can start a new thread if you’re interested in diving deeper on this subject/claim.
Selig Audio, LLC

turn2on
RE Developer

09 Feb 2024

Hello, Selig.

I think this is marketing part of the original hardware device and plugin that reproduce this EQ. Some other hardware EQ's also includes info about low/minimal/zero phase shift. This can be more actual for hardware, that try to have clearest sound, low artefacts.

When an audio signal passes through an equalizer or any other processing unit, it can introduce phase shifts, meaning that certain frequencies may be delayed or advanced in time compared to others. In the case of an EQ with "low phase shift," the goal is to minimize these time delays
Having low phase shift is desirable in audio processing because it helps maintain the integrity of the sound and prevents unwanted coloration or distortion. It ensures that the output signal closely follows the input signal in terms of timing
The goal is to shape the frequency response of the audio without introducing undesirable artifacts.

So, "low phase shift" can indicate the unit's capability to preserve the phase relationships in the audio signal.
We just write about this, because original text tincludes this as part of the device sound. So yes, this is more marketing words actual for hardware.
User test talks that they not find any special phase changes of original hardware or plugin emulations.

selig
RE Developer

09 Feb 2024

turn2on wrote:
09 Feb 2024
Hello, Selig.

I think this is marketing part of the original hardware device and plugin that reproduce this EQ. Some other hardware EQ's also includes info about low/minimal/zero phase shift. This can be more actual for hardware, that try to have clearest sound, low artefacts.

When an audio signal passes through an equalizer or any other processing unit, it can introduce phase shifts, meaning that certain frequencies may be delayed or advanced in time compared to others. In the case of an EQ with "low phase shift," the goal is to minimize these time delays
Having low phase shift is desirable in audio processing because it helps maintain the integrity of the sound and prevents unwanted coloration or distortion. It ensures that the output signal closely follows the input signal in terms of timing
The goal is to shape the frequency response of the audio without introducing undesirable artifacts.

So, "low phase shift" can indicate the unit's capability to preserve the phase relationships in the audio signal.
We just write about this, because original text tincludes this as part of the device sound. So yes, this is more marketing words actual for hardware.
User test talks that they not find any special phase changes of original hardware or plugin emulations.
Thanks for the response, so it's "marketing" and not a special EQ that has less phase shift than others (my words, not yours), as I had suspected.
The minimal phase EQ has one response curve for every amount of phase shift. Match the curve, match the phase shift. So the idea one EQ of this design could do the same EQ curve with LESS phase shift is what I don't understand. I wondered how you modeled this since my measurements of other similar emulations show the "air band" in particular to simply raise the level of ALL frequencies in addition to the high band, thus making it "appear" to use less phase shift to get the same boost. It's only when you match the added gain you realize this EQ is no different from others.
So my curiosity was more about how this added gain is factored into the circuit to coincide with the added high shelf. Basically how is it done? Do you mimic this exact behavior with Taag mode?

I always wondered if it was some sort of hybrid parallel EQ. By parallel EQ I mean two bands run in parallel instead of serially as with most every EQ ever made (Kush has a parallel EQ, for example their Clariphonic EQ).
I will totally understand if you don't wish the discussion on your thread to go all nerdy and such, but my curiosity has gotten ahold of me again…. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

09 Feb 2024

turn2on wrote:
09 Feb 2024
So, in other words, it's a lie? :shock:

Or does the plugin actually use linear phase processing (or some equivalent of it), which improves the phase response at the expense of pre-ringing?

https://www.fabfilter.com/help/pro-q/us ... essingmode
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Loque

09 Feb 2024

antic604 wrote:
09 Feb 2024
turn2on wrote:
09 Feb 2024
So, in other words, it's a lie? :shock:

Or does the plugin actually use linear phase processing (or some equivalent of it), which improves the phase response at the expense of pre-ringing?

https://www.fabfilter.com/help/pro-q/us ... essingmode
LINEAR is not MINIMAL phase. In that case not a lie, but marketing blah.

It is like "This FX is inspired by the faboulus 70s blah with amazing analog sound and we faithfully recreated and taked it further bleh..."

Just means "We have copied a free algorithm from github, made some fancy graphics, tell you bs, and sell good feelings to you with an extra redicoulus sale price, which is still too much, because you already have 10 plugins doing the same thing..."

But hey, thats life...

And remember, that even linear phase sometimes sounds bad and with phasing EQ, you can get that extra "thumb" at a specific frequency ;-)
Reason12, Win10

turn2on
RE Developer

09 Feb 2024

Upper I write about hardware devices processing, that can produce phase shift - delay (latency) between input/output signal. Here can be used marketing "low phase shift" for hardware devices, that try to make lowest delays, that help to not producing any artefacts/distortion. It can be used as marketing for any types of devices, but any processing device must be minimal phase-shift. So, at forums users from time to time ask, what manufacturer mean under "low phase shift"?

But if we back to the EQ band phase shift in processing..
EQ6T RE, in FabFilter terminology - is "Zero Latency", and could also be called "Minimum Phase", may be this is what from we can start to talk upper.

turn2on
RE Developer

09 Feb 2024

The ATMO (AirBand) operates in parallel with the other bands. It doesn't affect the other frequency bands directly. Instead, it adds a high-frequency component that complements the existing frequency content. This parallel operation allows you to blend the "air" independently without affecting the other bands.

Main bands (sub, 40, 160, 650, 2.5k Hz) operates in Series. While the AirBand operates in parallel with these bands, it is still part of the overall signal chain. Therefore, it can be considered as operating in series after the other bands in the sense that it contributes to the overall processed signal.

selig
RE Developer

09 Feb 2024

There's something odd going on here with the high (ATMO) band.

For one thing, the entire level drops almost 6 dB when ATMO is used with TAAG. And when I do the following, this negative gain gets "stuck" on:
If I start with a reset, then engage ATMO, then engage TAAG I see the level drop, then then if you disengage TAAG and/or ATMO the level is still stuck down almost 6dB.
To "clear" it you have to toggle TAAG twice. Hopefully this isn't pilot error, but wouldn't be the first time if so…

While this "getting stuck" behavior may be a bug I have to wonder why such a big level drop when engaging this (TAAG) feature in the first place?

And indeed, using TAAG and boosting the ATMO Boost Level adds 6dB to ALL frequencies as does the original - but the original doesn't first drop the level, which I would think folks would not find useful (or at least not logical).

Either way, happy to help track down the issue above to see if it's something on my end or a bug.

[another question - the smoothing on the INPUT ATTN control takes around 8 seconds to catch up when moving the control fully either direction. Seems like it might mess with automation with that sluggish a response? All other controls respond quickly fwiw…]
Selig Audio, LLC

turn2on
RE Developer

09 Feb 2024

Selig, Thank you for this searches and findings. Now I already out of testing for weekend now.
But I'm back and try to find this problems and fix them with start of next week.

I remember that try to make Serial/Parallel Modes for AtmoBand (and save one mode), may be something going out of control. Need to check it.

• Information