(90s influenced Electronic) - Flashback (UPDATED)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2022

Uman's wrote:
26 Jun 2022
LoL Sorry, but I have to smile first ! :lol:

I say that the speakers here should take the seed !

We clearly have here the debate between avoiding making notes that speak,
being satisfied with an endless loop,
and the desire to build music based on a melody !

The theme would then deserve more work to serve something other than effects and
last a whole sequence without telling something.
It is work that many should take the trouble to do.

It's a bit of musical research that our friend deserves and he's almost there !

It also lacks a bit of mastering so that the sounds are well detached.
It's ultimately very secondary when you're able to make music that uses real notes!

I say respect to Mr Tritone ! you find the way ! :clap:

(i hope Google trad, will not deserved me)
Thanks for the comment. I don't think google translate did your comment complete justice here.
But I think I understood most of what you said. Sort of.

Uman's

27 Jun 2022

To simplify, I find that the elaboration of a melody is welcome. Some of us should learn from it!
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2022

modecca wrote:
26 Jun 2022
Of course it's always more fun to receive positive comments than negative ones. But imo whatever someones opinion is, whether it's positive or critical, it's just nice to see anyone taking their time to listen to a track and leave a comment. That's something I can appreciate.

I do like your idea of taking comments/feedback and view it as another perspective, sort of like a theme/concept. Because then even if one doesn't happen to agree with a point being made for a particular track, you can always keep that perspective/concept in mind and apply it to another project. That way a comment is not limited to only being a comment on a track, but possibly a source of creative inspiration, experimentation and a new musical direction.

"Embrace being abrupt"
I like it. That's an interesting concept to try out right there. That idea just screams for playfulness and spontaneity.
System Of A Down basically lived by this concept. :puf_smile:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2022

Uman's wrote:
27 Jun 2022
To simplify, I find that the elaboration of a melody is welcome. Some of us should learn from it!
:thumbs_up:

Chizmata

28 Jun 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Jun 2022
Thanks for your comments and taking the time to listen. I didn't take any offence to your criticism btw.
Like I said in my original post. Most of the time when I make music I don't plan ahead what type of song I'm gonna make. And "ambition" maybe isn't a word I would use myself nowadays regarding my own music making. There was a time when I really was out to get better, studied music a lot and was always looking for new tips and tricks on production/mixing etc. And even though I'm sure there are million things I can still learn, I just don't care that much about actively "improving" anymore. (I think my recent patch making has been the area I've been improving the most lately, though I haven't really thought about it that way).
Where I'm at now I'd rather just focus on having fun with creating music. I care less about if a track ends up great, or not so great. And I find that way of thinking kind of liberating to be honest. It makes experimentation and trying out new ideas a lot easier and more fun.

I agree that the song doesn't feel fully developed just yet. I've listened to the track now over a couple of days and it's very likely I'll try to extend it. Have the song as it is now. But then maybe drop the drums for a while and then back to some action again. I'll see if I can make that work.

Regarding transitions. I agree to some extent. It's not the most cohesive piece of music I've ever made. But I think the different parts work well enough together. I'd say it's the drums and the energy that keeps the song together. Interestingly I personally find the transition from the Prodigy bass part to the chorus to be the best one. I see the bassy/alarm part to work as a build up. And then it's a release once the supersaw chords come in. That's how I experience it anyway.
thats all understandable. i agree that its super-important to liberate oneself when making music. i did it by stopping to ask myself "is it right?" or "is it good?" and replacing it by "would i listen to it myself?". about the track, i appreciate that you'll work on it again, it has a lot of potential!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Jul 2022

Just updated the track. It's now a lot longer. And hopefully better.
Some songs come together easily. This wasn't one of them, or at least not the last work I did to make this second/extended/full version happen. So many turns back and forth to make an arrangement I was finally happy with. There won't be anymore changes to this one. This track is now officially DONE.

Hope you like it.

You can either listen from this post or from my original one. It's the same link.

jonnyretina

13 Jul 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Jun 2022
Nice track, love the bass in particular. Definitely getting those 90s vibes :)

Rising Night Wave

13 Jul 2022

Tritone! F* beautiful!
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2022

jonnyretina wrote:
13 Jul 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Jun 2022
Nice track, love the bass in particular. Definitely getting those 90s vibes :)
Thanks. The low growly bass is a Megasaur patch (included in my Megasaur refill btw).
The Prodigy like fm bass is a patch I made in Algoritm.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2022

Rising Night Wave wrote:
13 Jul 2022
Tritone! F* beautiful!
Thanks man. Appreciate it.

Rising Night Wave

14 Jul 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
14 Jul 2022
Rising Night Wave wrote:
13 Jul 2022
Tritone! F* beautiful!
Thanks man. Appreciate it.
You are more than welcome.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Citizencain23

15 Jul 2022

Nice, plenty already expressed views better than i could. Makes me want to get out those Jilted generation tunes. Bravo

moofi

15 Jul 2022

Very nice song :-) yet: WHERE IS THE BASS? :-D

Created a bass edit of a part and also added air. Not perfect, especially because I don´t know how it translates to anyones monitoring and the highs are a bit clangy with the hihats, then it should emphasis what I mean anyway :-)

The AKG headphones used here are on the lighter bass side of things, so it might be a bit bassy, even though I already took the bass lightness into account a little.
For comment related reasons I felt like preferring potentially a little bit too much bass comparably.

The first 4 bars are the original followed by the edit. Had to render it down to 224kbps to fit forum attachment size:

Tritone - Flashback (Bass Air edit 224kbps).mp3
(920.61 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Jul 2022

moofi wrote:
15 Jul 2022

Created a bass edit of a part and also added air. Not perfect, especially because I don´t know how it translates to anyones monitoring and the highs are a bit clangy with the hihats, then it should emphasis what I mean anyway :-)

The AKG headphones used here are on the lighter bass side of things, so it might be a bit bassy, even though I already took the bass lightness into account a little.
For comment related reasons I felt like preferring potentially a little bit too much bass comparably.

The first 4 bars are the original followed by the edit. Had to render it down to 224kbps to fit forum attachment size:

Thanks for the listen and comment.
I’m away from home for a couple of days so I can’t get a fair listen to your example at the moment.
Though I highly suspect I’ll leave the track as it is. I’ve spent a lot of time on it already and consider it done.

Btw do you have any of your own music you could share? Whenever someone gives feedback it’s always helpful to know what their music is like and where they are coming from.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Jul 2022

Citizencain23 wrote:
15 Jul 2022
Nice, plenty already expressed views better than i could. Makes me want to get out those Jilted generation tunes. Bravo
Thanks. Jilted is definitely a favorite from my teenage years. :puf_smile:

crimsonwarlock

16 Jul 2022

Superb track, definitely album release ready. Put a few more tracks like this one with it, and I'm buying.

For this kind of music, there is enough happening in the lower frequencies. If you put some kind of thumping bass under it, it would lose that cinematic quality it has now. It reminds me somehow of Jarre, around his Zoolook period. Not completely, but close enough.

I'd say, just keep doing what you're doing.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

moofi

16 Jul 2022

Reason I did the edit was I felt the original EQing sounded a little bit like when taking out highs and lows while boosting mids during DJ-ing before a drop.
It becomes clear, I at least assume, once you listen to the edit. The song´s bassline and bassdrum e.g. are hardly present in the original, at least their lowend, while they come to life when being boosted. With the edit I feel the song got impact. Especially if you regard a dancefloorsituation. Like said, the highs are still too clangy (mostly not the hihats btw but the leadsynth and aswell the pad) and there can still be put quite some balance in the overall edit. Would be easier editing the mix in that regard compared to editing a single track where changes transmit to every instrument, yet it isn´t ment to be perfect but to show a direction.

Regarding songs I create, give me a little bit of time :-) Currently my system is still from 2014, so I cannot really work the way I work nowadays in regards to completing tracks, especially in terms of final mixing/mastering.
Then I just ordered a new PC. When it´s assembled I´m gonna work on two songs being birthday presents for friends. One is an afterhour psytrance-like song I´m gonna present when done.

TritoneAddiction wrote:
16 Jul 2022
moofi wrote:
15 Jul 2022

Thanks for the listen and comment.
I’m away from home for a couple of days so I can’t get a fair listen to your example at the moment.
Though I highly suspect I’ll leave the track as it is. I’ve spent a lot of time on it already and consider it done.

Btw do you have any of your own music you could share? Whenever someone gives feedback it’s always helpful to know what their music is like and where they are coming from.

moofi

16 Jul 2022

NAAAAAAAAH :-D
crimsonwarlock wrote:
16 Jul 2022

[...]
For this kind of music, there is enough happening in the lower frequencies.
[...]

Uman's

16 Jul 2022

I still have the first version in mind.
On this new version a lot of work in the arrangements and the general organization of the track. Very nice work!

The lack of bass is present indeed, but it does not seem necessary to me to correct it,
in the sense that the orchestration is already very rich.
Moofi wrote:Regarding songs I create, give me a little bit of time :-) Currently my system is still from 2014, so I cannot really work the way I work nowadays in regards to completing tracks, especially in terms of final mixing/mastering.
Then I just ordered a new PC. When it´s assembled I´m gonna work on two songs being birthday presents for friends. One is an afterhour psytrance-like song I´m gonna present when done.
I have read some of your comments and you present a very interesting analysis. (realy, not a joke)
It would be a pleasure to listen to your music ! ;)
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

moofi

16 Jul 2022

But man, COME ON :-D
Uman's wrote:
16 Jul 2022

[...]
The lack of bass is present indeed, but it does not seem necessary to me to correct it,
in the sense that the orchestration is already very rich.
[...]

crimsonwarlock

17 Jul 2022

moofi wrote:
16 Jul 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
16 Jul 2022

[...]
For this kind of music, there is enough happening in the lower frequencies.
[...]
Let's just agree to disagree :puf_bigsmile: :puf_bigsmile: :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

moofi

17 Jul 2022

Should I agree or disagree now? :-D
crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 Jul 2022
moofi wrote:
16 Jul 2022

crimsonwarlock

17 Jul 2022

moofi wrote:
17 Jul 2022
Should I agree or disagree now? :-D
crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 Jul 2022

Whatever tickles your fancy :lol:
-------

moofi

17 Jul 2022

Then I do neither :-)

crimsonwarlock

17 Jul 2022

moofi wrote:
17 Jul 2022
Then I do neither :-)
Fair enough :thumbup:

But back to the bass issue, it is of course also a matter of taste and even more of perception. We all hear stuff different, so I might hear more low frequencies than you do. Case in point, most modern headphones are too bass-heavy for me, and I can't listen to any music on those without getting a head age within minutes.
-------

• Information