remoted Rec-Button

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
gkrazzhoopper

08 Jul 2022

Hi,

I use Reason 12 with a KORG nanoKontrol2. It works fine, but I cannot find a way to remote the "Rec on/off" button. I havn´t found them in the rack, just in the sequencer. Unfortunatley there is no way to remote the sequencer.

Is there a way to bring the rec buttons in the rack or remote it in another way? Or is there another solution I don´t know?

kind regards
Erik

mcatalao
Competition Winner

08 Jul 2022

Actually there are several ways to remote the transport buttons (those buttons are on the transport bar - the transport can be duplicated on the sequencer and the mixer windows.).

Method 1: press right (or alt click on mac) over the recording button select set remote override for that button.

Method 2: go to Options - remote Overrides : every button you have that allows to have a remote, will have a question mark on it.

Method 3 - Remote override file. At the remote override file the rec and play buttons are set on the document scope. Search for document and you can create the remote override.

For the first and second method, in order to make this setting persistent for new projects, you do this over a template and save the template.

By the way, you can also override sequencer functions, like changing tracks, advancing in the timeline and so on. You can set up a bunch of overrides on the "additional remote overrides", most of them are sequencer behaviour.

Hope this helps!
Good Luck,
MC

electrofux

09 Jul 2022

I think he is talking about Record Buttons of devices in the Rack eg on Players. On these there is no possibility to remote them afaik. And it sucks big time. It is said to be a limitation of the SDK and its a big limitation imho that shouldnt exist or be adressed already.

djsmex

09 Jul 2022

If you are talking about the track enable record sequencer buttons, there are no remote items for these and I have no idea why. However, if you are talking about the enable record automation buttons in the sequencer, then there is a Remote item for these in the document scope.
As for record buttons on players, effects or utilities, this depends on if the developer has added them to the Remote items and will require a sequencer track before MIDI Remote can have focus. This is a problem with Players, as MIDI note data comes from the connected device and normally Remote MIDI focus is only on one device at a time, meaning you can either send MIDI data from the connected device or have Remote MIDI focus on the Player.
The only work arounds I know of are multiple control surfaces with device surface locking or Remote overide.
There is no CC or MIDI performance data passed to Players from the connected device, this data can only be sent to the Player while it has MIDI focus not the connected device.
You will also note, there is no Remote items for time signature in the transport section, no Remote items for the browser, toolbar, toolwindow or track note/pattern lanes or blocks. I hope this is something that will be addressed.

challism

09 Jul 2022

Looks like we need more info from the OP, but I think you guys have answered every possible question he might have about remote record buttons in Reason.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

mcatalao
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2022

electrofux wrote:
09 Jul 2022
I think he is talking about Record Buttons of devices in the Rack eg on Players. On these there is no possibility to remote them afaik. And it sucks big time. It is said to be a limitation of the SDK and its a big limitation imho that shouldnt exist or be adressed already.
I think those are remoteable, and there's no a limitation of the SDK as it is only a button... I might be wrong though, as I haven't invested much on the players and remote.

Anyway, if the op is talking about the track arm/unarm, that's a different story.
I did an autohotkey script to arm and unarm all tracks both for record and automation record, exactly because we don't have that.

For the selected track, reason always automatically arm the selected track, so, just going forward and backward on a track will arm it, but disarm the previous one.

buddard
RE Developer

11 Jul 2022

mcatalao wrote:
11 Jul 2022
electrofux wrote:
09 Jul 2022
I think those are remoteable, and there's no a limitation of the SDK as it is only a button... I might be wrong though, as I haven't invested much on the players and remote.
Remote doesn’t map to buttons or any other widgets on REs, instead each Remote item maps to a single numerical or boolean property in the REs underlying data model (which you specify in the motherboard file).

To implement a Record function on a Player you typically have to manipulate several properties in the RE. You usually have a rec on/off property that says to the GUI (and the realtime code) that rec mode is active, and automating that property itself is trivial. And if whatever you’re recording is “fleeting”, i e something that will be forgotten when you reload the song/device (like a frozen delay buffer or similar), it will work just fine. Because you just record the data into realtime-owned memory and let it stay there until it’s cleared (device instance is deleted or song is closed) or replaced by a new recording.

But if you want what’s been recorded to stay persistently in memory when you reload the song (for example a pattern you recorded in a sequencer device), the device will somehow have to copy the recorded data from realtime memory into document memory. And currently this operation can only be performed using custom display scripts and involves several different properties — and at least some of them are usually string properties if the data is more complex. And custom display scripts can only write properties while a mouse gesture is being performed. So the act of making realtime recorded data persistent is what can neither be automated nor Remote controlled today.

electrofux

12 Jul 2022

Thx for the explanation!

Sounds like bad coding to me (meme) ;)
But seriously, they should fix this. Ultimately its the gesture limitation thats stopping anyone, right? And the complicated Data architecture would make it extra hard to implement it, i guess.
In the end, the record button is probably THE button you want to remote on any device, isn't it.

• Information