Reason Studios Chord Sequencer in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Tiny Montgomery

07 Jul 2022

Would recommend people watch the live stream particularly the part where they cable out from the root note output into a Bassline Generator with scales and chords on top set to the same scale as chord seq. Already started a few songs this way, it's very inspiring. As is often the case when using players to trigger ideas you need to get that midi out and into the main sequencer once you have something cooking. Even a simple move like moving the chords to an offbeat rather than plonking down on the one is going to be easier in the sequencer, and further humanisation, inversions etc can be done there. When you're using a DAW like Ableton and can add probability to notes happening and their velocities as well you can get something very live sounding, I've had more fun making music this week than I've had all year, and that's with a dose of COVID too!

huggermugger

07 Jul 2022

hiro-f wrote:
06 Jul 2022
Is it possible to octave shift the notes output from the Root Node CV OUT on the back panel?
If you can't, can you tell me what RE you can do?
A/B Transpose is a Player, and it works great. In case you don't want a Player, you can use Ivy Harmonizer instead. Also free.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack-extension/ivy/

Billy+

07 Jul 2022

joeyluck wrote:
06 Jul 2022

There were a few fixes they mentioned in the livestream that they would address, so maybe they'll entertain some features along with that.
I watched the live stream and two things sprung to mind at the point

First I was like cool they are thinking about adding more features to it, but then I realised

It's another product that got released with features that the developers wish were available with issues they are hoping to address within the next 6 months or so....

Ludvig did make me laugh when he seemed to roll his eyes about development.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Jul 2022

huggermugger wrote:
07 Jul 2022
hiro-f wrote:
06 Jul 2022
Is it possible to octave shift the notes output from the Root Node CV OUT on the back panel?
A/B Transpose is a Player, and it works great. In case you don't want a Player, you can use Ivy Harmonizer instead. Also free.

A/B transpose is a player and it will transpose midi, not cv (it doesn't even have CV out).

However, you can do it with the combinator, just put your bass inside the combi, feed it with the cv from the chord player, and then change the device's lane pitch with multiples of 12 for octave shifters. I think you can shift it -24 to + 24.

challism

07 Jul 2022

hiro-f wrote:
06 Jul 2022
It's possible with two free player devices.
Lectric Panda CVTP - sends and receives note/gate info https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... layer-tap/
TonicMint A/B Transpose - tranposes note info - https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -transpose

Thanks again to the developers for the free tools!
1.JPG
1.JPG (74.67 KiB) Viewed 4696 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

huggermugger

07 Jul 2022

mcatalao wrote:
07 Jul 2022
huggermugger wrote:
07 Jul 2022

A/B transpose is a player and it will transpose midi, not cv (it doesn't even have CV out).

However, you can do it with the combinator, just put your bass inside the combi, feed it with the cv from the chord player, and then change the device's lane pitch with multiples of 12 for octave shifters. I think you can shift it -24 to + 24.
CVPTap makes it possible to incorporate Players in all kinds of non-Player scenarios, and with it, AB transpose works great. But if Players aren't your thing, Ivy works too. BTW, Root Note CV Out on the back of ChordSequencer is a MIDI note. Reason often labels Note outputs and inputs as "CV".
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 4.07.51 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 4.07.51 PM.jpg (671.89 KiB) Viewed 4660 times
Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 4.07.41 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 4.07.41 PM.jpg (505.48 KiB) Viewed 4660 times

ltbrunt00

07 Jul 2022

After using Chord Sequencer for about a week I think It is fantastic. The recording chord feature is very nice. Making my own chord sets.

The only thing I wish it had along with all the other players is the ability to drag chords or midi data right from the rack extensions directly into the sequencer.

I use the toon track piano Chord selector which is built around the circle of fifths to quickly drag and drop chords to the sequencer. Cubase's chord pad also allows drag and drop.

I hope they update the RE SDK to allow this in future. I know they likely will. This is not urgent request but more of a speed issue.

Other than what I mentioned above Reason's chord sequencer was a instant buy for me.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

hiro-f

07 Jul 2022

challism wrote:
07 Jul 2022
hiro-f wrote:
06 Jul 2022
It's possible with two free player devices.
Lectric Panda CVTP - sends and receives note/gate info https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... layer-tap/
TonicMint A/B Transpose - tranposes note info - https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -transpose

Thanks again to the developers for the free tools!
1.JPG

By using CVTP, TonicMint A / B worked well.
Thanks !!

Faastwalker

07 Jul 2022

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
07 Jul 2022
Would recommend people watch the live stream particularly the part where they cable out from the root note output into a Bassline Generator with scales and chords on top set to the same scale as chord seq.
I was very intrigued by this part of the stream. Very cool thing you can do. One of the coolest thing about the Players is how they can interact with each other just by stacking them in certain ways. Even more possibilities when they actually have CV connectivity on the back.

Mattvank

08 Jul 2022

What i really miss is that i can´t copy and paste chords on the panel pads. It´ s not very funny to switch and click on that tiny screen keys.

joeyluck

08 Jul 2022

Mattvank wrote:
08 Jul 2022
What i really miss is that i can´t copy and paste chords on the panel pads. It´ s not very funny to switch and click on that tiny screen keys.
You can, just use option/alt-click and drag to the pad you want to copy to

Grimlucky

08 Jul 2022

Not bought this one yet but is there a way to sync different instances so you could have the same chords feeding two different instruments?

joeyluck

08 Jul 2022

Grimlucky wrote:
08 Jul 2022
Not bought this one yet but is there a way to sync different instances so you could have the same chords feeding two different instruments?
There is no global configuration/communication between players.

But you could put multiple instruments in a Combinator and place the Player above the Combinator.
Or you can copy the Player patch and apply the same patch to another instrument.

DaveyG

08 Jul 2022

If RS are looking for suggestions for stuff to add to Chord sequencer then a "sync" socket on the back would be good so that multiple instances of it can stay in tune with each other.

Actually, widening that concept to cover the whole of Reason would be excellent. Imagine having a whole bunch of players and sequencers driving different things but only needing to set the scale/key on one of them.

huggermugger

08 Jul 2022

Grimlucky wrote:
08 Jul 2022
Yes, using MIDI-CV Converter. You can intercept the chords on their way to the main instrument and feed them to a second instrument.

Grimlucky

08 Jul 2022

huggermugger wrote:
08 Jul 2022
Grimlucky wrote:
08 Jul 2022
Yes, using MIDI-CV Converter. You can intercept the chords on their way to the main instrument and feed them to a second instrument.

Thanks , have got Midi CV so will try it, a sync mode would be nice for things like the scales and chords player as well.

huggermugger

08 Jul 2022

Grimlucky wrote:
08 Jul 2022
huggermugger wrote:
08 Jul 2022

Thanks , have got Midi CV so will try it, a sync mode would be nice for things like the scales and chords player as well.

This method with the CV-MIDI converter works for any Player.

Fusion

09 Jul 2022

DaveyG wrote:
08 Jul 2022
If RS are looking for suggestions for stuff to add to Chord sequencer then a "sync" socket on the back would be good so that multiple instances of it can stay in tune with each other.

Actually, widening that concept to cover the whole of Reason would be excellent. Imagine having a whole bunch of players and sequencers driving different things but only needing to set the scale/key on one of them.
I had the same idea, see my request. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7525933

selig
RE Developer

09 Jul 2022

huggermugger wrote:
08 Jul 2022
Grimlucky wrote:
08 Jul 2022

This is why I find MIDI-CV essential and never found a use for the CV tap…
Selig Audio, LLC

spencer335

10 Jul 2022

Is there any logic to how the chords for a given set are allocated across the 16 pads?

Thinking of creating some chord collections of my own and curious about best practice such that they aren't just laid out sequentially in order from the song I took them from.

Also thinking a randomize button that just reorders the 16 pads would be fun ... inspiring different ways to interact with the same chords.

challism

10 Jul 2022

joeyluck wrote:
08 Jul 2022
Grimlucky wrote:
08 Jul 2022
There is no global configuration/communication between players.

But you could put multiple instruments in a Combinator and place the Player above the Combinator.
Or you can copy the Player patch and apply the same patch to another instrument.

Edit: Looks like this has been pointed out already.

Another way is to use one instance of MIDI CV Converter or CVPT (master) below CS and another instance above each desired instrument destination (slave).

challism

11 Jul 2022

selig wrote:
09 Jul 2022
huggermugger wrote:
08 Jul 2022

This is why I find MIDI-CV essential and never found a use for the CV tap…
Yes, MIDI CV Conv is absolutely essential for anyone regularly using players. CVPT is OK for anyone not willing to spend $10, but they really arent even in the same ball park. No offense to Panda, but MIDI CV Conv is so much better.

One MIDI CV Conv = 8 CVPTs.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2022

Hmmm...I still find that I have to go to my guitar to find what chord I need next in the progression and then somehow get it into CS. Mäh.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Creativemind

11 Jul 2022

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
07 Jul 2022
Would recommend people watch the live stream particularly the part where they cable out from the root note output into a Bassline Generator with scales and chords on top set to the same scale as chord seq. Already started a few songs this way, it's very inspiring. As is often the case when using players to trigger ideas you need to get that midi out and into the main sequencer once you have something cooking. Even a simple move like moving the chords to an offbeat rather than plonking down on the one is going to be easier in the sequencer, and further humanisation, inversions etc can be done there. When you're using a DAW like Ableton and can add probability to notes happening and their velocities as well you can get something very live sounding, I've had more fun making music this week than I've had all year, and that's with a dose of COVID too!
I watched most of that stream. Where abouts is that routing out with Scales & Chords thing, is it towards the end (I didn't watch the end so I presume so)?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

madmacman

11 Jul 2022

challism wrote:
11 Jul 2022
Yes, MIDI CV Conv is absolutely essential for anyone regularly using players. CVPT is OK for anyone not willing to spend $10, but they really arent even in the same ball park. No offense to Panda, but MIDI CV Conv is so much better.

One MIDI CV Conv = 8 CVPTs.
I may be wrong, but could the the Blamsoft Polymodular CV Breakout Box simplify the connectivity with CVPT?

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... akout-box/

And MIDI CV seems to cost a whopping $32. :shock:

• Information