Reason Studios Chord Sequencer in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DaveyG

03 Jul 2022

huggermugger wrote:
03 Jul 2022
It seems that Chord Sequencer's sequencer lane only displays 4/4, regardless of the project's time signature.
What? There are other time signatures? Who knew?
And what do the crowd do on the non existent 4th beat?
Big box, little box, big box.
Wave your hands in the air like you just.
It doesn't make any sense. :shock:

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

04 Jul 2022

huggermugger wrote:
03 Jul 2022
Oenkenstein wrote:
02 Jul 2022
The Humanize function... Is this a random shift a few ticks per note trick?
Humanize randomizes velocities and also timing, pretty self-explanatory and easy to hear. The Timing option always shifts notes later than the start of the chord event itself, never earlier.
That is pretty cool. Works better then moving notes with the random quantize feature from the toolbox as it makes notes overlap and moves notes before the start position.

Thanks for sharing the Note Echo, Scales and Chords strumming routing.

Got interested and did a test, to see what the Humanize Timing does to individual notes:
The BPM is set to 120, time signature is 4/4.
With Timing set to 100% the start position of the note moves forward with a range from 0 to 119 ms.
With Timing set to 50% the start position of the note moves forward with a range from 0 to 029 ms.
With Timing set to 25% the start position of the note moves forward with a range from 0 to 007 ms.

If you apply the same trick to shorten the end position of a note, would that enhance the humanization?

Soundcells

04 Jul 2022

@challism

„… Do you mean RS Scales & Chords? …“
Yes of course 😜

Creativemind

04 Jul 2022

Creativemind wrote:
03 Jul 2022
Marc Swing wrote:
29 Jun 2022
They should have kept the strum function that you had on the prototype in your blog and it would be perfect! but still a nice player! i will use my voucher as soon it hits the rewards shop :-)
Good call on the strum idea. Have 1/16th or 32ndth note strum with a dial for making it longer or shorter but by those timingbincrements or have a set timing off altogether. A biggy that I reckon but hate to say it, Reason Studio's always leave something out.
By longer and shorter, I actually meant in duration, so quicker or faster I meant. How it works in FL Studio but in FL's case it's built into the piano roll.

:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

jam-s

04 Jul 2022

challism wrote:
03 Jul 2022
huggermugger wrote:
03 Jul 2022
It seems that Chord Sequencer's sequencer lane only displays 4/4, regardless of the project's time signature.
Yup, I reported it. They said it's by design.
This sounds like a cheap excuse imho.

huggermugger

04 Jul 2022

Creativemind wrote:
04 Jul 2022

Good call on the strum idea. Have 1/16th or 32ndth note strum with a dial for making it longer or shorter but by those timingbincrements or have a set timing off altogether. A biggy that I reckon but hate to say it, Reason Studio's always leave something out.
Logic does strum quantize too, measured in ticks. They call it 'flam' rather than 'strum'.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 1.49.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 1.49.39 PM.png (77.01 KiB) Viewed 5685 times

Overtherainbow

04 Jul 2022

Creativemind wrote:
03 Jul 2022

I thought I'd trial it and in 20 seconds found another fundamental flaw. When it shows you the chord on the Player keyboard graphic that you hit (in this case it was Dm7) I thought I'd try and play that chord on my midi controller. Obviously I couldn't play the chord while the Player was active so I tried it in Bypass and Off and in both modes, the graphic of the keyboard showing the keys to press disappeared so I couldn't copy it, typical Reason way that.
you can toggle midi input by pressing the tiny keyboard button in the upper right corner of the chords panel

toggle midi.png
toggle midi.png (210.58 KiB) Viewed 5626 times

huggermugger

04 Jul 2022

DaveyG wrote:
03 Jul 2022
huggermugger wrote:
03 Jul 2022
One time I heard a song in 12/8 and my mind exploded. Avoid that shit man.

Creativemind

04 Jul 2022

huggermugger wrote:
04 Jul 2022
Creativemind wrote:
04 Jul 2022

Logic does strum quantize too, measured in ticks. They call it 'flam' rather than 'strum'.
:thumbs_up:

We might get it in Reason in version 15.

Creativemind

04 Jul 2022

Overtherainbow wrote:
04 Jul 2022
Creativemind wrote:
03 Jul 2022

I thought I'd trial it and in 20 seconds found another fundamental flaw. When it shows you the chord on the Player keyboard graphic that you hit (in this case it was Dm7) I thought I'd try and play that chord on my midi controller. Obviously I couldn't play the chord while the Player was active so I tried it in Bypass and Off and in both modes, the graphic of the keyboard showing the keys to press disappeared so I couldn't copy it, typical Reason way that.
you can toggle midi input by pressing the tiny keyboard button in the upper right corner of the chords panel

toggle midi.png
Thanks. Will try that later today.

moneykube

04 Jul 2022

huggermugger wrote:
04 Jul 2022
DaveyG wrote:
03 Jul 2022

:lol: lololol your quote made my day
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Neo

06 Jul 2022

motuscott wrote:
02 Jul 2022
MrFigg wrote:
01 Jul 2022
I didn't read back on this thread but I've been using Tonicmint Chordline (which has a massive chord library) in conjunction with the Learn/ Edit Chord function on Chord Sequencer. That's me sorted forever. Awesome.
Big Chordline fan here. Must check this out
+1 for ChordLine RE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJqCYL ... =chordline
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... chordline/
http://tonicmint.com/rack-extensions/chordline/

I should have reward points left for Chord Sequencer
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... sequencer/
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

selig
RE Developer

06 Jul 2022

Italophile wrote:
03 Jul 2022
selig wrote:
03 Jul 2022
You only really need the first 16 keys for triggering chords, why not let the rest of the keyboard ‘play’? That was one of the first things I wanted to do shortly after I fired up CS…
Don’t know how your SL MkIII works but i can assign the pads on my Arturia Keylab MkII to a separate instrument to the keys, meaning I can use the pads to play chords whilst playing melody on the keys.
I’m sure there is some way to set that all up corrrectly using advanced MIDI and locking devices etc. but wouldn’t it be great if it just worked - what would be the down side?
Selig Audio, LLC

Grimlucky

06 Jul 2022

moneykube wrote:
04 Jul 2022
huggermugger wrote:
04 Jul 2022

:lol: lololol your quote made my day
Apparently there’s other songs not in 4/4 as well, what a world 😁

https://theeviljam.co.uk/2014/07/31/fam ... o-rhythms/

joeyluck

06 Jul 2022

selig wrote:
06 Jul 2022
Italophile wrote:
03 Jul 2022

Don’t know how your SL MkIII works but i can assign the pads on my Arturia Keylab MkII to a separate instrument to the keys, meaning I can use the pads to play chords whilst playing melody on the keys.
I’m sure there is some way to set that all up corrrectly using advanced MIDI and locking devices etc. but wouldn’t it be great if it just worked - what would be the down side?
It would be even better if we had the option to then fix those individual notes to the scale of the chord being triggered.

We can always put a couple instruments in a combi, one with Chord Sequencer and one without, and define the ranges to be able to have split patches of chord and individual notes.

But more important for me is having a scale feature. Unlike Scales and Chords, chords triggered by Chord Sequencer can really jump around. And while I don't mind learning the chords so I can come up with a bassline, melody, etc. that fits, it's a weird workflow to go from streamlined suggestions to no assistance. And I know we can follow it with other players, but I just want to play freely (restricted to the scales of the chords being triggered), whether that is with the same device or with the patch duplicated and switched to scale mode.

challism

06 Jul 2022

Neo wrote:
06 Jul 2022
motuscott wrote:
02 Jul 2022

Big Chordline fan here. Must check this out
+1 for ChordLine RE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJqCYL ... =chordline
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... chordline/
http://tonicmint.com/rack-extensions/chordline/

I should have reward points left for Chord Sequencer
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... sequencer/
ChordLine's chord library is amazing. I'll definitely be using ChordLine to feed chords to Chord Sequencer if/when I decide to make my own chordsets. So odd that RS decided not to include a chord library on a chord player (yet again).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Billy+

06 Jul 2022

joeyluck wrote:
06 Jul 2022
selig wrote:
06 Jul 2022

It would be even better if we had the option to then fix those individual notes to the scale of the chord being triggered.

We can always put a couple instruments in a combi, one with Chord Sequencer and one without, and define the ranges to be able to have split patches of chord and individual notes.

But more important for me is having a scale feature. Unlike Scales and Chords, chords triggered by Chord Sequencer can really jump around. And while I don't mind learning the chords so I can come up with a bassline, melody, etc. that fits, it's a weird workflow to go from streamlined suggestions to no assistance. And I know we can follow it with other players, but I just want to play freely (restricted to the scales of the chords being triggered), whether that is with the same device or with the patch duplicated and switched to scale mode.
Not sure how interested you are in scaler 2.6 but it does everything that you have both spoken about and it's on sale for £39.99 at the moment ;)

Obviously the midi through is an issue in Reason but it's all fine in Live and I believe Logic (I don't have logic).

joeyluck

06 Jul 2022

Billy+ wrote:
06 Jul 2022
joeyluck wrote:
06 Jul 2022

Not sure how interested you are in scaler 2.6 but it does everything that you have both spoken about and it's on sale for £39.99 at the moment ;)

Obviously the midi through is an issue in Reason but it's all fine in Live and I believe Logic (I don't have logic).
Yeah not so much. I might be more interested in Scaler 2 if it could be used standalone. I guess I don't care as much about VST MIDI as other people. I'd rather use something like Scaler 2 standalone and then be able to select it as the MIDI device in whatever DAW. So my MIDI controller would be assigned to that standalone software and then I'd select that software as the controller in my DAW. Then I don't have to duplicate it. And I'm not interested in using another lite plugin host to do that.

Billy+

06 Jul 2022

joeyluck wrote:
06 Jul 2022
Billy+ wrote:
06 Jul 2022

Yeah not so much. I might be more interested in Scaler 2 if it could be used standalone. I guess I don't care as much about VST MIDI as other people. I'd rather use something like Scaler 2 standalone and then be able to select it as the MIDI device in whatever DAW. So my MIDI controller would be assigned to that standalone software and then I'd select that software as the controller in my DAW. Then I don't have to duplicate it. And I'm not interested in using another lite plugin host to do that.
That's an interesting take on the situation

I guess you could use it / any vst as a standalone in something like elements
But the reality is only Reason doesn't support midi vst's....

Either way I'm just saying that everything both you and selig are looking for is available just not supported by Reason standalone. Not until the developers pull their fingers out and implement the missing feature that every other daw has as standard ;)

joeyluck

06 Jul 2022

Billy+ wrote:
06 Jul 2022
joeyluck wrote:
06 Jul 2022

Either way I'm just saying that everything both you and selig are looking for is available just not supported by Reason standalone. Not until the developers pull their fingers out and implement the missing feature that every other daw has as standard ;)
Well not exactly. I like Chord Sequencer better than Scaler 2. I just want some features added to Chord Sequencer. I would need to make feature requests for Scaler 2 to have an interface and approach like Chord Sequencer. Other DAWs have features Reason doesn't, yet here we are.

And as I mentioned, I don't want to use a plugin host to replace standalone.

Billy+

06 Jul 2022

joeyluck wrote:
06 Jul 2022
Billy+ wrote:
06 Jul 2022

Well not exactly. I like Chord Sequencer better than Scaler 2. I just want some features added to Chord Sequencer. I would need to make feature requests for Scaler 2 to have an interface and approach like Chord Sequencer. Other DAWs have features Reason doesn't, yet here we are.

What features would you like to see in the scaler interface?

And I'm not talking about the massive feature set of other daws I'm talking about a very little feature that most daws included as standard with vst support - vst midi

if Reason included vst midi support then most players would be of benefit because they would work in conjunction with the outside world ;)

joeyluck

06 Jul 2022

Billy+ wrote:
06 Jul 2022
joeyluck wrote:
06 Jul 2022

What features would you like to see in the scaler interface?

And I'm not talking about the massive feature set of other daws I'm talking about a very little feature that most daws included as standard with vst support - vst midi

if Reason included vst midi support then most players would be of benefit because they would work in conjunction with the outside world ;)
I just like Chord Sequencer's approach and interface much better. And we're talking about one or a few features that I'd like to see in Chord Sequencer, which was just released and has only been out a week. So for now, I'm fine with making suggestions and waiting to see what happens :)

There were a few fixes they mentioned in the livestream that they would address, so maybe they'll entertain some features along with that.

Neo

06 Jul 2022

challism wrote:
06 Jul 2022
ChordLine's chord library is amazing. I'll definitely be using ChordLine to feed chords to Chord Sequencer if/when I decide to make my own chordsets. So odd that RS decided not to include a chord library on a chord player (yet again).
Cheers C
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

hiro-f

06 Jul 2022

Is it possible to octave shift the notes output from the Root Node CV OUT on the back panel?
If you can't, can you tell me what RE you can do?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Jul 2022

hiro-f wrote:
06 Jul 2022
Is it possible to octave shift the notes output from the Root Node CV OUT on the back panel?
If you can't, can you tell me what RE you can do?
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... transpose/

??
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information