Reason Studios Chord Sequencer in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
jonnyretina

29 Jun 2022

Billy+ wrote:
29 Jun 2022
ReasonStudios wrote: While our content manager Joachim started looking for chord-savvy content creators, we contacted Magnus, formerly of Reason Studios but now game developer at Ichigoichie. He was happy to develop the Player for us!
Made we wonder if he was the developer of PX7?
I think you could be onto something there - it's certainly the best guess at the mystery PX7 developer to date!

huggermugger

29 Jun 2022

DJMaytag wrote:
29 Jun 2022
How does the Rewards thing work with this on sale? Do I use a $25 rewards voucher or a $50 voucher?
It's up to you, but you can only use one voucher, and you shouldn't use one that's worth more than your total purchase, because you won't get any 'change' back.

DJMaytag

29 Jun 2022

huggermugger wrote:
29 Jun 2022
It's up to you, but you can only use one voucher, and you shouldn't use one that's worth more than your total purchase, because you won't get any 'change' back.
Right. I’m not sure I’m going to sweat $1, considering there’s nothing else in the Rewards shop of interest right now.

Billy+

29 Jun 2022

jonnyretina wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Billy+ wrote:
29 Jun 2022

Made we wonder if he was the developer of PX7?
I think you could be onto something there - it's certainly the best guess at the mystery PX7 developer to date!
Yeah the clues are stacking up.

Billy+

29 Jun 2022

DJMaytag wrote:
29 Jun 2022
huggermugger wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Right. I’m not sure I’m going to sweat $1, considering there’s nothing else in the Rewards shop of interest right now.
Don't forget that there's another instrument on its way ;)

Billy+

29 Jun 2022

Eprom wrote:
29 Jun 2022
huggermugger wrote:
29 Jun 2022

No, it doesn't detect chords or notes in the same way that Scales & Chords would. It's primarily an output device. It only uses incoming MIDI notes to choose one of the 16 pads and optionally set the velocity value for a chord.
AHA! Thank you for that info.
I understood it was a device that gave options for different chords when you played your own.

In that case my money goes to Scaler2 after all.
I'm currently working my way through the scaler 2 producer course and it sounds like you will enjoy the suggest feature.

deigm

29 Jun 2022

Why was the strum feature removed from the prototype? That would have been so much fun to use on a virtual guitar instrument or similar.

crimsonwarlock

30 Jun 2022

deigm wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Why was the strum feature removed from the prototype? That would have been so much fun to use on a virtual guitar instrument or similar.
You can put this player after it: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... g-machine/
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

TheGodOfRainbows

30 Jun 2022

Well, this is an easy instabuy. I have wanted something like this in the rack for so very long. This is going to be one of my favorite players. Reward points well spent I think.

littlejam

30 Jun 2022

hello,

i wonder if ray charles could benefit from chord sequencer RE?

the piano chords do tell a story

cheers and eat well,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

Eprom

30 Jun 2022

It's a fact that songs over the years got simpler. In regard of chord changes in a song. I used to play in cover bands in the 80's and 90's and we had to practice a lot more these day :puf_bigsmile:

Rick Beato has a fun video about it.
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

sasasch

30 Jun 2022

Billy+ wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Eprom wrote:
29 Jun 2022

AHA! Thank you for that info.
I understood it was a device that gave options for different chords when you played your own.

In that case my money goes to Scaler2 after all.
I'm currently working my way through the scaler 2 producer course and it sounds like you will enjoy the suggest feature.

Since I already own Scaler 2.6, I started to import my favourite Scales (e.g Phrygian Dominant) and favourite Progressions from Scaler into the Chord Sequencer ( each Scale as own Patch ).
This is a simple procedure. Of course in another DAW :).
Here I am using Cubase. Just configured the Midi Out of Scaler as Midi In in CS. Then while editing the Chord Pads, I just click the specific Chord in Scaler and its taken over into CS.

Other direction should also work....

Eprom

30 Jun 2022

sasasch wrote:
30 Jun 2022
Billy+ wrote:
29 Jun 2022

Since I already own Scaler 2.6, I started to import my favourite Scales (e.g Phrygian Dominant) and favourite Progressions from Scaler into the Chord Sequencer ( each Scale as own Patch ).
Here I am using Cubase. Just configured the Midi Out of Scaler as Midi In in CS. Then while editing the Chord Pads, I just click the specific Chord in Scaler and its taken over into CS.

I'm downloading the trial version as we speak.
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

Billy+

30 Jun 2022

sasasch wrote:
30 Jun 2022

Excellent does CS analyse and colour code them so it function like the internal chord sets?

sasasch

30 Jun 2022

Billy+ wrote:
30 Jun 2022
sasasch wrote:
30 Jun 2022

Excellent does CS analyse and colour code them so it function like the internal chord sets?
Yes, the chords are correctly analyzed and even coloured.

motuscott

30 Jun 2022

Nice piece of work. I had no problem throwing 50 reward points at it.
Here's to writing songs that I can't play, but my computer can.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

bangaio

30 Jun 2022

This looks amazing. And I have 25 reward points! Awesome!

Chi-Individual

30 Jun 2022

sasasch wrote:
30 Jun 2022

Excuse if this is a stupid question. But when importing into CS from Scaler do you have to do each Root note? i.e C -C# -D etc. Or will CS adjust the chords to the root note itself. I'm interested in trying this with Studio One.

manisnotabird

30 Jun 2022

Needs a way to send the appropriate scale to other players for non-diatonic chords.

CaptainBlack

30 Jun 2022

Five minutes with it and i already have a nice chord progression I wouldn't have thought of. I don't always like the next suggestion/inversion, but find that if I also have a normal piano open, I can find the missing chord that makes it zing. This is the creative unblocker I've been looking for.

DJMaytag

30 Jun 2022

CaptainBlack wrote:
30 Jun 2022
Five minutes with it and i already have a nice chord progression I wouldn't have thought of. I don't always like the next suggestion/inversion, but find that if I also have a normal piano open, I can find the missing chord that makes it zing. This is the creative unblocker I've been looking for.
Most definitely. I’m not as well versed with more exotic chords, so just randomly banging on the keys brings out some nicer sounding chords that I would otherwise be able to play.

Stamatz

30 Jun 2022

This looks like an awesome device. Props to Props for releasing.

However as I made myself a deal, I refuse to purchase anything Reason releated until they at least address and fix the various graphic bugs.

So this along with the BVX is on hold until Reason Studios delivers an update to complete this product.
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

Jac459

30 Jun 2022

Eprom wrote:
30 Jun 2022
It's a fact that songs over the years got simpler. In regard of chord changes in a song. I used to play in cover bands in the 80's and 90's and we had to practice a lot more these day :puf_bigsmile:

Rick Beato has a fun video about it.
Didn't watch the video but I would correct a bit your assertion. It's a fact that song over the year got simpler........... Chords.
But there is much much more work on the sound and modulation on sound now. Dubstep being a caricatural example.
Take electronic music from the grand fathers, vangelis, kraft, jarre, DM, the sounds were so so simple back then. But then the compositions where more elaborated.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

dvdrtldg

01 Jul 2022

Hmmm. I don't want to piss on anyone's chips here, but I'm not feeling this one at all. I feel locked into a weirdy narrow set of parameters, and everything I do ends up sounding like a yoghurt commercial or the sort of music they play in upmarket shopping malls. Needs a couple of hundred more scales, for one thing. And no inversions? no way of mucking around with chord voicings? I get that you can do all this in the sequencer afterward, but it seems like an odd limitation

I usually hate it when someone comes on all snobby and says stuff like "Players are fine for clueless n00bs who don't know anything about music composition and just want to make songs with one finger". But that's kind of how I feel about this one. As always, I'm open to changing my mind if someone can get something interesting out of it (by which I mean, the diametric opposite of what's going on in the Reason promo video). Until then, I'll be voyaging on a calm blue ocean of smooth Chinese restaurant jazz-lite

joeyluck

01 Jul 2022

Yes, you can freely edit the chords, removing and adding different notes. You can also create your own. You can mouse-click on the keyboard on CS to edit or you can use the Learn function to play chords or to learn them from another device.

• Information