Reason 12.2.7 Release Notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Przemyslaw

28 Jun 2022

Reason 12.2.7 Release Notes:

- Improved loading times for ReFills

- Stability improvements to the Reason Browser search function

- Fixed a bug that hid folders from search result when they contained items that show up in the search result

- Updated version of Mimic that fixes a crash that could happen when editing long samples, very long samples will now be cropped

- Fixed a bug that could give the wrong result when performing Bounce in Place on multiple Pattern Mutators inside Combinators

- Fixed a bug in the Sample Editor that could cause a sample to play without easily being able to stop it

- Fixed a bug where the Reason Rack Plugin GUI could get cropped when zooming in

- Fixed a bug that could cause Reason to crash when changing to display mirroring

- Fixed a bug that could cause cables going into a Master Section Combinator to be shown incorrectly

- Minor changes to Preferences window on macOS

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ease-notes

chimp_spanner

28 Jun 2022

I feel like the Mimic long sample bug has been a big one for a few users since it launched. Nice to see it getting some attention.

Neo

28 Jun 2022

VST3.jpg
VST3.jpg (73.07 KiB) Viewed 6815 times
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

AnotherMathias

28 Jun 2022

Wow, they finally addressed the old Sample Editor “the sound won’t stop” bug!

EnochLight

28 Jun 2022

I doubt it'll bring anDre back though. He was complaining about that bug since February 2021 with no fix (but glad to see it finally addressed)!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Popey
Competition Winner

28 Jun 2022

I haven't got 12 but still potentially interested in the future so wondered they mean about long samples in mimic being cropped.

Anyone tried this in the new update and do they mean it just cuts off the sample at a certain point and a maximum length?

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Jun 2022

Popey wrote:
28 Jun 2022
I haven't got 12 but still potentially interested in the future so wondered they mean about long samples in mimic being cropped.

Anyone tried this in the new update and do they mean it just cuts off the sample at a certain point and a maximum length?
I just dropped a CD image (@44.1k) on it, and it was cut at 6:03. Seems like they cut at 16,000,000 samples.

EnochLight

28 Jun 2022

orthodox wrote:
28 Jun 2022
I just dropped a CD image (@44.1k) on it, and it was cut at 6:03. Seems like they cut at 16,000,000 samples.
So Mimic has a single sample capacity of 6 minutes 3 seconds total? I mean... that's not terrible. For what it is designed to do, that should be ample - unless one wants to load an entire mix in it to slice/chop/perform and that mix is longer than 6 minutes and 3 seconds. :puf_unhappy:

Akai's MPC allows samples as long as 20 minutes (and Force I think can do up to 40 minutes since getting disk-streaming).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Popey
Competition Winner

28 Jun 2022

orthodox wrote:
28 Jun 2022
Popey wrote:
28 Jun 2022

Thanks for checking this, appreciate it 👍

Enochlight makes very valid points about people maybe needing longer but 6 minutes is more than enough for my uses.

AnotherMathias

28 Jun 2022

Popey wrote:
28 Jun 2022
orthodox wrote:
28 Jun 2022

Thanks for checking this, appreciate it 👍

Enochlight makes very valid points about people maybe needing longer but 6 minutes is more than enough for my uses.
If it's a matter of file SIZE rather than file LENGTH, I guess you could then do a 22,050kHz mono file of 24 minutes.
But surely, a 6 minute length must be sufficient for all but the most extreme cases. I come from an old-school sampling mentality where a 6 SECOND sample is considered pretty long!

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Jun 2022

Stereo/mono does not matter. A mono sample @192000 sample rate is truncated at 83.3333 seconds. It is 16,000,000 samples long again, regardless of channels.

Stamatz

28 Jun 2022

Guess they didn't have 5 minutes to fix the label on the back of the Dr. Octo Rex.

Thinking of putting little yellow stickies with the number "2" and sticking it to the back to my Dr. Octo Rex's....lol
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

Chi-Individual

28 Jun 2022

Utilities browser is now broken again on my machine. When I drop a Combi in the rack and then click the back button all the utilities are gone and when I click the other folders they don't show anything. I have to click either Instruments, FX or players to get it back. Can someone confirm this pls.

14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB Ram, 512GB SSD

AnotherMathias

28 Jun 2022

EnochLight wrote:
28 Jun 2022
I doubt it'll bring anDre back though. He was complaining about that bug since February 2021 with no fix (but glad to see it finally addressed)!
They ALMOST got it right.
No more hanging notes (yay!), and you can move around loop points while the sound is playing, awesome for finding smooth loops. But where they didn't quite make it work is if you move the Loop End marker to the left, if the current sound playback now is after the marker, it plays through to the end of the sample, and goes silent. This means there's about a 50/50 chance you have to retrigger the notes if you move the Loop End point.
IMO, they should have the playback point skip back to the start of the loop anytime the playback point enters the "no man's land" between the Loop End end the Sample End. As long as you have loop enabled, you should never hear that part of the sample.
(I have a similar pet peeve about the looping in the main DAW sequencer - if loop is turned on, I'd like the playback to always be forced to stay within the loop)

I use a combination of something like 5 different editors for samples, depending on what I need done (Ocenaudio, Audacity, Endless WAV, iZotope RX, and Reason), but considering how minimal the Reason editor feature set is, it's often my #1 choice.

Propellerhands

28 Jun 2022

Reason 12 had bugs? That's weird, my Ableton Lite project just crashed into desktop and all the 15 minutes of work was lost (Ableton recovered only 10 percent). While using R12 for the past month I haven't had a single crash in it. But waiting till they fix that bug/feature of duplicating rack instruments when you go slitghly off the edge of a slider or a knob while moving it simultaneously.

P.S. Glad I didn't buy full version and went instead R12 route. Time tested DAW :puf_smile:
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

avasopht
Competition Winner

28 Jun 2022

Cool ...

And have those who had instabilities checked to see if they still experience them?

boggg1

28 Jun 2022

Search was failing for me and I was just yesterday trying to identify where it was failing on my Windows 10 Reason 12 system. It worked everywhere in v11 but not in samples (Reason Sounds, Orkester, Factory Sounds etc) in v12.

They fixed it for me without me even telling them the fault. That is service. Alternatively it could be coincidence and I'm not as important as I thought. :D
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refillpacker: :rt:

parma

29 Jun 2022

In contrast:

What's New in Bitwig Studio 4.3

https://www.bitwig.com/whats-new/

avasopht
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2022

parma wrote:
29 Jun 2022
In contrast:

Polymer looks interesting.

Although 12.2.7 is a patch, and we often don't take RS' REs into account when doing feature comparisons yet often the devices in another DAW are.

I did a breakdown some time ago (maybe last year) and Reason and Bitwig have comparable output.

geronimo

29 Jun 2022

Still impossible to control Envelope Sustain and Sustain Filter for Mimic from the various controls of a Combinator ! :oops:

plasticfractal

29 Jun 2022

I'm still waiting for a fix to the display issues with VSTs ever since they introduce the autoscaling feature. Some VSTs simply can't be used now, regardless of whether autoscale is enabled or not. The GUI is either small in a corner and unusable, or blurry and cropped and still in a corner and unusable. Many of my VSTs simply can't be used now. I recently bought the Tracktion Novum sampler VST, spent 130 dollars on it, and whoops Reason can't display it. Something just broke whenever they rolled out that autoscale feature and many of my VSTs just don't work anymore.

Tinnitus

29 Jun 2022

parma wrote:
29 Jun 2022
In contrast:

A new convolution device for Bitwig included, whereas Reason gives us a new player which we have to stump 64 quid despite having already upgraded to 12. Why aren't these devices given to people on the current version I wonder?
It would be a good incentive for Reason owners to keep current.

EnochLight

29 Jun 2022

Meanwhile, Reason gave is a free convolution reverb that you can load your own impulse responses into back during Reason 8.3. And this was 6 years ago. I'm not seeing/hearing anything with that new Bitwig convolution that can't be done with stock Reason devices...

plaamook

29 Jun 2022

EnochLight wrote:
28 Jun 2022
orthodox wrote:
28 Jun 2022
So Mimic has a single sample capacity of 6 minutes 3 seconds total? I mean... that's not terrible. For what it is designed to do, that should be ample - unless one wants to load an entire mix in it to slice/chop/perform and that mix is longer than 6 minutes and 3 seconds. :puf_unhappy:

Akai's MPC allows samples as long as 20 minutes (and Force I think can do up to 40 minutes since getting disk-streaming).
There's no limit that I know of in Grain. For example.
I assume there's a reason for the cropping. I'm DLing now so we'll see
Yes. There are people that would like to use it for extreme cases. Why not just make it extreme? Grain is extreme. Is there a specific reason why Mimic can't be extreme?
But that's the fix so I guess we get what we're given on this one.

Edit:
I've got it up and running and it's a real let down. As someone mentioned (and I mentioned to support a few times already) it's not about the length of the sample but the file size. So if you're working in 24/96...and I generally do...it won't load a 6 min sample. It won't even load a 4 min sample. It just chops it off wherever it likes and you get what you get. At 24/96 it's more like 2 min.
They basically HAVEN'T fixed the problem but only prevented it from crashing Mimic if you try to load large files by implementing this auto crop garbage.

Fuck it...
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

orthodox
RE Developer

29 Jun 2022

plaamook wrote:
29 Jun 2022
There's no limit that I know of in Grain. For example.
I know of one limit, it's 2GB WAV file size.
plaamook wrote:
29 Jun 2022
I've got it up and running and it's a real let down. As someone mentioned (and I mentioned to support a few times already) it's not about the length of the sample but the file size. So if you're working in 24/96...and I generally do...it won't load a 6 min sample. It won't even load a 4 min sample. It just chops it off wherever it likes and you get what you get. At 24/96 it's more like 2 min.
They basically HAVEN'T fixed the problem but only prevented it from crashing Mimic if you try to load large files by implementing this auto crop garbage.

Fuck it...
At 24/96 (as at 16/96) it's 2m 46.667s. But you're right, that's just unacceptable. Reason just does not meet the maximalist standards. I'm just losing heart thinking that one day I may have a musical idea that will require having a 3-minute sample in Mimic and I won't be able to do that.

• Information