Best way to get CV and gate out to my 0-Coast?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
gkillmaster

25 Jun 2022

I know this is probably super basic but I'm wondering how I can get CV and gate out from Reason to my 0-Coast. I see the RE CV-O from Robotic Bean and says it sends CV as audio out through an audio interface, but would this be the same as if I used a CV/gate hardware controller? It doesn't say anything about sending gate.

In any case, would love to know if this is possible. Seems like I get different results from a MIDI to CV converter so would be great to have CV and gate go directly as voltages to my 0-Coast.

Thanks for any tips,

Greg

selig
RE Developer

25 Jun 2022

I can’t speak to other solutions, but I’m having great success with my Novation SL mkIII controller which is able to send to two sets of CV/Gate/Mod outputs.
Selig Audio, LLC

gkillmaster

25 Jun 2022

Thanks @moofi and @selig. Just so I understand, with those hardware devices, is Reason sending CV/gate to them directly without doing a MIDI to CV conversion? I have a QuNexus and I can use the CV out as the target for that device, but I think it actually assumes MIDI input and converts it on the way out. Little unclear how it all happens in Reason using these devices. I've mainly used Bitwig in the past so the fact that Reason can send CV/Gate is a whole new thing for me. Probably overcomplicating it but just want to make sure I know what I'm getting.

selig
RE Developer

25 Jun 2022

gkillmaster wrote:
25 Jun 2022
Thanks @moofi and @selig. Just so I understand, with those hardware devices, is Reason sending CV/gate to them directly without doing a MIDI to CV conversion? I have a QuNexus and I can use the CV out as the target for that device, but I think it actually assumes MIDI input and converts it on the way out. Little unclear how it all happens in Reason using these devices. I've mainly used Bitwig in the past so the fact that Reason can send CV/Gate is a whole new thing for me. Probably overcomplicating it but just want to make sure I know what I'm getting.
Reason cannot send CV/Gate directly unless over audio. So yes, it is converting to MIDI first in Reason with the MIDI Out device. The only ‘limitation’ of this would be with fast modulation IF you’re using Reason as an LFO or audio rate modulator. But that is beyond “CV and Gate”, and for those I find no issue using MIDI as an intermediary.

For full audio rate to CV I would look into Expert Sleepers devices, if that’s of interest to you.
Selig Audio, LLC

gkillmaster

25 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
25 Jun 2022
gkillmaster wrote:
25 Jun 2022
Reason cannot send CV/Gate directly unless over audio. So yes, it is converting to MIDI first in Reason with the MIDI Out device. The only ‘limitation’ of this would be with fast modulation IF you’re using Reason as an LFO or audio rate modulator. But that is beyond “CV and Gate”, and for those I find no issue using MIDI as an intermediary.

For full audio rate to CV I would look into Expert Sleepers devices, if that’s of interest to you.
Thank you so much! Super helpful info!

gkillmaster

25 Jun 2022

seems like a good primer:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... lar-synths

Sounds like I'd need to get a DC-coupled audio interface to try and do the direct CV Gate approach. Think I'll try CV to MIDI conversion instead. Just need to find the right device or RE to do this.

moofi

25 Jun 2022

If you are going the CV-route I would very much prefer to go CV-audiointerface-0-coast way simply because a conversion to midi is resulting in a stepped modulation, something that can sound very good aswell, just to have the option to modulate at audiorate broadens the horizon of possibilities immensely, even if CV from Reason at least isn´t at full audiorate. If CV-MIDI is the easier way for now, why not, just saying, it won´t give you smooth modulation like audiorate would deliver. Especially with a hardware modular this can be crucial after all.
gkillmaster wrote:
25 Jun 2022

Sounds like I'd need to get a DC-coupled audio interface to try and do the direct CV Gate approach. Think I'll try CV to MIDI conversion instead. Just need to find the right device or RE to do this.

gkillmaster

25 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
25 Jun 2022
If you are going the CV-route I would very much prefer to go CV-audiointerface-0-coast way simply because a conversion to midi is resulting in a stepped modulation, something that can sound very good aswell, just to have the option to modulate at audiorate broadens the horizon of possibilities immensely, even if CV from Reason at least isn´t at full audiorate. If CV-MIDI is the easier way for now, why not, just saying, it won´t give you smooth modulation like audiorate would deliver. Especially with a hardware modular this can be crucial after all.
gkillmaster wrote:
25 Jun 2022

Thanks! Really appreciate your thoughts about this. I should consider getting another audio interface and do this. My current one isn't DC coupled (Scarlett 2i2).

selig
RE Developer

26 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
25 Jun 2022
gkillmaster wrote:
25 Jun 2022

I may have ‘over-assumed’ but I thought the OP just wanted note/gate CV, which IS stepped by design. Like I mentioned previously, if you want higher rate modulation (where you begin to hear the steps) I would suggest the Expert Sleepers route because it is also an audio interface and can handle multiple channels of CV and will likely be much easier to calibrate because it is designed to handle CV.
And it’s probably no more expensive and potentially much more useful than an audio interface with no DC blocking. One other thing I’ve read is that most audio interfaces block DC on inputs even when they allow DC on their outputs. So you cannot get voltages FROM your modular back into Reason like you can with the Expert Sleepers route. And finally, not as big a deal but your audio levels will be calibrated to modular standards with the Expert Sleepers interfaces which tends to simplify things IMO.
Plenty of discussion out there, I would definitely read up as much as I could before making a final decisions, as there are reasons for going both routes.
Selig Audio, LLC

gkillmaster

26 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
26 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
25 Jun 2022

I may have ‘over-assumed’ but I thought the OP just wanted note/gate CV, which IS stepped by design. Like I mentioned previously, if you want higher rate modulation (where you begin to hear the steps) I would suggest the Expert Sleepers route because it is also an audio interface and can handle multiple channels of CV and will likely be much easier to calibrate because it is designed to handle CV.
And it’s probably no more expensive and potentially much more useful than an audio interface with no DC blocking. One other thing I’ve read is that most audio interfaces block DC on inputs even when they allow DC on their outputs. So you cannot get voltages FROM your modular back into Reason like you can with the Expert Sleepers route. And finally, not as big a deal but your audio levels will be calibrated to modular standards with the Expert Sleepers interfaces which tends to simplify things IMO.
Plenty of discussion out there, I would definitely read up as much as I could before making a final decisions, as there are reasons for going both routes.
Thanks for this! Very useful. Going to check into this the ES way now.

gkillmaster

26 Jun 2022

gkillmaster wrote:
26 Jun 2022

Thanks for this! Very useful. Going to check into this the ES way now.
Would this kind of thing work? If so, then I need a way to power it since I don't have a rack.
https://reverb.com/item/46876974-expert ... -interface

moofi

26 Jun 2022

Yes, going the Expert Sleeper´s way is definitely the more appropriate way, I was bascially referring to not going the CV-MIDI route, not against Expert-Sleepers.
For your mentioned reasons it´s advantages anyway compared to the audiointerface stuff. And yes, I also assumed gkillmaster would naturally like to modulate 0-coast from within Reason aswell. Possibly was mentioning the audiointerface instead of the modules BECAUSE @gkillmaster:

Once you set up Expert Sleepers modules you are basically already entering fully modular area. When having setup the powersupply for the Expert Sleeper modules you bascially created the requirements for any module to work with it. :-D Can be the most interesting musical journey, just felt like moving it into perception because it usually comes with deep diving, also in terms of spending :-) Especially you being an experimental lover, I could see you being ointo it very easily :-D
Though thinking about it, I feel like 0-coast could have already been the first step in that direction anyway, so I at least I guess, we are not talking about "if" but about "how" now :-D In that case, yes, Expert Sleepers all the way. :thumbs_up:
selig wrote:
26 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
25 Jun 2022

gkillmaster

26 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
26 Jun 2022
Yes, going the Expert Sleeper´s way is definitely the more appropriate way, I was bascially referring to not going the CV-MIDI route, not against Expert-Sleepers.
For your mentioned reasons it´s advantages anyway compared to the audiointerface stuff. And yes, I also assumed gkillmaster would naturally like to modulate 0-coast from within Reason aswell. Possibly was mentioning the audiointerface instead of the modules BECAUSE @gkillmaster:

Once you set up Expert Sleepers modules you are basically already entering fully modular area. When having setup the powersupply for the Expert Sleeper modules you bascially created the requirements for any module to work with it. Can be the most interesting musical journey, just felt like moving it into perception because it usually comes with deep diving, also in terms of spending :-) Especially you being an experimental lover, I could see you being ointo it very easily
Though thinking about it, I feel like 0-coast could have already been the first step in that direction anyway, so I at least I guess, we are not talking about "if" but about "how" now :-D In that case, yes, Expert Sleepers all the way. :thumbs_up:
o wow! but I'm not ready to go there quite yet :)

The other option is to forgo the Reason/ES way and get a 0-Ctrl for just improving and forget about the Reason universe can of worms.

P.S. there is a 5 smiley limit. I had to delete two of your to use my own :(

moofi

26 Jun 2022

Yeah, not getting the 5 limit either :-D
Anyway, it´s perfectly alright if you simply go the expert sleeper way and simply use it for given purpose.
And it´s already quite pleasant to work outside of Reason alone with 0-coast. Shifts perspectives, incoorperates techniques, frees the mind, adds new flavours along a tactile experience with clear vision (in the sense of not being infront of a monitor merely skeoumorphing direct visual appearances).
I was just mentioning it because I experience myself in that situation (at least a while ago) :-D

gkillmaster wrote:
26 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
26 Jun 2022

Once you set up Expert Sleepers modules you are basically already entering fully modular area. When having setup the powersupply for the Expert Sleeper modules you bascially created the requirements for any module to work with it. Can be the most interesting musical journey, just felt like moving it into perception because it usually comes with deep diving, also in terms of spending :-) Especially you being an experimental lover, I could see you being ointo it very easily
o wow! but I'm not ready to go there quite yet :--)

The other option is to forgo the Reason/ES way and get a 0-Ctrl for just improving and forget about the Reason universe can of worms.

P.S. there is a 5 smiley limit. I had to delete two of your to use my own :--(

gkillmaster

26 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
26 Jun 2022
Anyway, it´s perfectly alright if you simply go the expert sleeper way and simply use it for given purpose.
And it´s already quite pleasant to work outside of Reason alone with 0-coast. Shifts perspectives, incoorperates techniques, frees the mind, adds new flavours along a tactile experience with clear vision (in the sense of not being infront of a monitor merely skeoumorphing direct visual appearances).
I was just mentioning it because I experience myself in that situation (at least a while ago) :-D
[
Yeh, I agree with that! Such a nice break in ways. That is why I'm actually thinking about possibly getting the 0-CTRL.

So is there a Reason player that come close in functionality to the 0-CTRL? Seems like it's pretty unique, except I wish you could slide over the touch plates to blend frequencies but it only does single pitches per key.

can easily see just going the ES route and if I do, I could use a Reason sequencer instead of buying the 0-CTRL.

moofi

26 Jun 2022

While there certainly are several sequencers within Reason, besides the hardware haptic difference I feel 0-ctrl is capable of sequencing in a special way. Merely did watch a video and it was jumping around widly yet ordered. Potentially there is something similar in RE land. Not an expert here, because I merely got one free player sequencer. So maybe someone else could jump in and give a proper tip.
gkillmaster wrote:
26 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
26 Jun 2022
[
Yeh, I agree with that! Such a nice break in ways. That is why I'm actually thinking about possibly getting the 0-CTRL.

So is there a Reason player that come close in functionality to the 0-CTRL? Seems like it's pretty unique, except I wish you could slide over the touch plates to blend frequencies but it only does single pitches per key.

can easily see just going the ES route and if I do, I could use a Reason sequencer instead of buying the 0-CTRL.

moofi

26 Jun 2022

Btw you could aswell take a look at Arturia´s Beatstep Pro:

https://arturia.com/products/hybrid-syn ... o/overview
arturia-beatstep-pro.png
arturia-beatstep-pro.png (270.32 KiB) Viewed 2324 times

gkillmaster

26 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
26 Jun 2022

arturia-beatstep-pro.png
Such a great idea. I was thinking one day I'd get the keystep but for the 0-Coast, this could be perfect. Thanks for the reminder!

moofi

26 Jun 2022

Pleasure. Any audible results already btw? :-D
gkillmaster wrote:
26 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
26 Jun 2022

arturia-beatstep-pro.png
Such a great idea. I was thinking one day I'd get the keystep but for the 0-Coast, this could be perfect. Thanks for the reminder!

gkillmaster

26 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
26 Jun 2022
gkillmaster wrote:
26 Jun 2022

mostly messing, and some recording but nothing kept yet. I'll try to remember to post here once I get something worthy of being heard (according to me) :)
I have taken 6 pictures with my phone of patches I really like. Hope to get familiar enough to keep a basic track going for several minutes, then maybe add on top.

moofi

26 Jun 2022

Sounds good :-) Looking forward.
gkillmaster wrote:
26 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
26 Jun 2022

mostly messing, and some recording but nothing kept yet. I'll try to remember to post here once I get something worthy of being heard (according to me) :)
I have taken 6 pictures with my phone of patches I really like. Hope to get familiar enough to keep a basic track going for several minutes, then maybe add on top.

selig
RE Developer

27 Jun 2022

gkillmaster wrote:
26 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
26 Jun 2022

arturia-beatstep-pro.png
I almost got the Keystep Pro for my Eurorack system, seemed to give me more of what I needed than Beatstep - check out both for sure!
Selig Audio, LLC

Re8et
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2022

One of the easier ways to get cv out, if you don't have a dc coupled audio interface (Motu Ultralite eg)
is to use a Korg SQ-1. Althought I haven't tried it personally and I don't know what kind of resolution it can get or what you need (Audio rate LFO??).

Cheerz.

gkillmaster

27 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
27 Jun 2022
gkillmaster wrote:
26 Jun 2022

I almost got the Keystep Pro for my Eurorack system, seemed to give me more of what I needed than Beatstep - check out both for sure!
Thanks! Heard nothing but good things about it.

• Information