[Electro/Minimalism/Ambient/Experimental Album] Chizmata - Eerie

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Chizmata

22 Jun 2022

Hello folks,

i've finished a new album in Reason 11 for those who care. i'd describe the style as Electro/Minimalism/Ambient/Experimental. 3 tracks are focused around a parsec, 2 around a scenic. i wanted to explore those synths deeper and i found they are great tools for making complex sounds. i hope someone enjoys!

Popey
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2022

enjoyed listening to these. Calmness is probably my fav as it is quite dark (dare i say almost technoish vibes). Water molecules comes a close second.

were water molecules and calmness focussing on parsec?

Chizmata

25 Jun 2022

Popey wrote:
25 Jun 2022
enjoyed listening to these. Calmness is probably my fav as it is quite dark (dare i say almost technoish vibes). Water molecules comes a close second.

thanks for listening popey! actually water molecules and calmness are the two scenic tracks :puf_wink:

Jac459

25 Jun 2022

Thanks for sharing !

I see a strong inspiration from Amon Tobin, am I correct ?

Not sure to share your classification though:
Electro: Yes obviously.
Minimalism: Mmm, Really ?? Too many things going on :-).
Ambient: Depending of the tracks
Experimental: For sure ! You seems to like installing some textures and create a kind of ambiance around this texture.

Overall, technically I find your album very well controlled and done. And I like your artistic approach.
One "negative" point for my own taste is I find your sound a bit cold. Knowing that you used a lot parsec I am not surprised as I find it often the case with additive synthesis. As you install textures and atmospheres for the listener to dive in, I find the sound a bit to harsh/cold. A bit more analogic sound in the mix could have been positive maybe (again, that's only my taste).

One (strong) compliment to finish, I like very mush the "cold surface" track. I would not have been surprised to see it in an album from Amon Tobin (which is a strong compliment as I consider this guy as a music genius).
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Chizmata

25 Jun 2022

Jac459 wrote:
25 Jun 2022
Thanks for sharing !

I see a strong inspiration from Amon Tobin, am I correct ?

Not sure to share your classification though:
Electro: Yes obviously.
Minimalism: Mmm, Really ?? Too many things going on :-).
Ambient: Depending of the tracks
Experimental: For sure ! You seems to like installing some textures and create a kind of ambiance around this texture.

Overall, technically I find your album very well controlled and done. And I like your artistic approach.
One "negative" point for my own taste is I find your sound a bit cold. Knowing that you used a lot parsec I am not surprised as I find it often the case with additive synthesis. As you install textures and atmospheres for the listener to dive in, I find the sound a bit to harsh/cold. A bit more analogic sound in the mix could have been positive maybe (again, that's only my taste).

One (strong) compliment to finish, I like very mush the "cold surface" track. I would not have been surprised to see it in an album from Amon Tobin (which is a strong compliment as I consider this guy as a music genius).
hey jac, thanks a lot for the warm words.

i know amon tobin but if he was an influence for me its not that big. i absoultely loved his work on the splinter cell: chaos theory soundtrack and something got stuck for sure, but i could never get much into his other work.

the classifications, well :D i struggle with that either. my point for minimalism is that i pick very limited source material (like 3 phrases) and try to create change through constant rhythmical recombination, kinda like steve reich. but i do accentuate parts if i feel its not enough, so thats kinda non-minimalistic again.
about ambient, yes you might argue that some tracks are too active or agressive for that - but they are still very stable in their tone and slow in their developement, so you might call it "agressive ambiance" or something :lol:

i would definitely agree with you about the sometimes cold sound. lower mid mixing has always been a struggle for me. you also perfectly analyzed the reasons behind it, i feel like the parsec tracks struggle with this issue more than the scenic tracks "calmness" and "water molecules". its simply easier to create rich, warm sound with professionally pre-recorded samples, as they have that subtle depth and richness which recording irregularities add to them.

again, thanks for giving it a shot and the overall appreciation :puf_smile:

Popey
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2022

Chizmata wrote:
25 Jun 2022
Popey wrote:
25 Jun 2022

thanks for listening popey! actually water molecules and calmness are the two scenic tracks :puf_wink:
Interesting I have not got scenic so perhaps worth trialling.

Jac459

25 Jun 2022

Chizmata wrote:
25 Jun 2022
"some tracks are too active or agressive for that"
Actually, it is only for my own taste, I am a sucker for both electronic AND warm sounds :-p.
For example, I could do exactly the same remark to Portishead :-). Well to be honest I wouldn't dare because I think they are one of the best group of all time and of the whole universe but YET, I find their sound a tiny bit cold.

For Amon Tobin, I really encourage you to listen even his last albums, he can for sure give you good ideas. I find a lot of common grounds in your inspiration.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

RTFX

26 Jun 2022

Calm and soorhing album. Quite in contrast with the rushing world with short attention spans for everything we are living in.
Parsec 1 touched my soul.
You recorded Your own breathing?
A worthy end to a relaxing album
All my tracks on my YouTube channel⬇️ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0j ... P0EoiuUkNO

Chizmata

26 Jun 2022

RTFX wrote:
26 Jun 2022
Calm and soorhing album. Quite in contrast with the rushing world with short attention spans for everything we are living in.
Parsec 1 touched my soul.
You recorded Your own breathing?
A worthy end to a relaxing album
thank you so much for this comment. building an alternative to todays world for the self is part of my musical idea and its great to have it appreciated.

i didnt record anything though, its all from the reason synths.

Chizmata

26 Jun 2022

Popey wrote:
25 Jun 2022
Chizmata wrote:
25 Jun 2022

Interesting I have not got scenic so perhaps worth trialling.
its a good synth, but prepare to be confused and disappointed first though.

Jac459 wrote:
25 Jun 2022
Chizmata wrote:
25 Jun 2022
"some tracks are too active or agressive for that"
Actually, it is only for my own taste, I am a sucker for both electronic AND warm sounds :-p.
For example, I could do exactly the same remark to Portishead :-). Well to be honest I wouldn't dare because I think they are one of the best group of all time and of the whole universe but YET, I find their sound a tiny bit cold.

For Amon Tobin, I really encourage you to listen even his last albums, he can for sure give you good ideas. I find a lot of common grounds in your inspiration.
i tried amon tobin, but as said i didnt get into it. is there a specific album you'd recommend?

Jac459

26 Jun 2022

Chizmata wrote:
26 Jun 2022
i tried amon tobin, but as said i didnt get into it. is there a specific album you'd recommend?
I am glad you ask haha:
Recent: Long Stories ==> In particular the first track
Older: Permutation ==>VWith genius tracks like Night Life or Sordid.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Uman's

26 Jun 2022

Hi

I will mainly dwell on the first track.

It's very interesting even if a bit long.
it makes me think of so many things, a Prodigy intro without a sequel, for example.

But that's mostly thinking about this:

which makes me say that something is missing! A voice would be great! :lol: :lol: :lightbulb:
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

Chizmata

28 Jun 2022

Jac459 wrote:
26 Jun 2022
Chizmata wrote:
26 Jun 2022
I am glad you ask haha:
Recent: Long Stories ==> In particular the first track
Older: Permutation ==>VWith genius tracks like Night Life or Sordid.
i tried those and liked sordid the best. but im still not really into it and i think i now understand better why that is. i like the sound colors, mainly the chords he uses, a lot. but for me his sound has too much "grounded in reality" feeling to it because of all the dry natural instruments he uses, even though the compositions are rather experimental, especially for the time - but i think that is the charm of his music. and i gotta say i dont like his mixing much at all. it feels "over-bottomy" to me at many times, like someone drove too much monophonic room reverb into it. this can stem from recordings of natural instruments, but ive heard other musicians do it, so it seems to be a preferential thing - not for me though. similar to your portishead gripes :D :thumbup:

Chizmata

28 Jun 2022

Uman's wrote:
26 Jun 2022
Hi

I will mainly dwell on the first track.

It's very interesting even if a bit long.
it makes me think of so many things, a Prodigy intro without a sequel, for example.

But that's mostly thinking about this:

which makes me say that something is missing! A voice would be great! :lol: :lol: :lightbulb:
thanks for listening and keeping it respectful this time :thumbs_up:

Jac459

28 Jun 2022

Chizmata wrote:
28 Jun 2022

i tried those and liked sordid the best. but im still not really into it and i think i now understand better why that is. i like the sound colors, mainly the chords he uses, a lot. but for me his sound has too much "grounded in reality" feeling to it because of all the dry natural instruments he uses, even though the compositions are rather experimental, especially for the time - but i think that is the charm of his music. and i gotta say i dont like his mixing much at all. it feels "over-bottomy" to me at many times, like someone drove too much monophonic room reverb into it. this can stem from recordings of natural instruments, but ive heard other musicians do it, so it seems to be a preferential thing - not for me though. similar to your portishead gripes :D :thumbup:
Haha, I admire how you intellectualism your tasteand how you are able to word it. You should be music critic hehe, it is delightful to read (even if I don't agree in this case 😜)
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

• Information