Who in the hell calls a GUI a "Gooey"?!

Discuss VST stuff here!
wendylou

13 Jun 2022

Some serious thinking going on here! OK, so I use to say "Gee You Eye" until the Gooey people infected my brain! :lol: But then consider this: Do you say 'Nasə or "En Eh Es Eh" :puf_smile:
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

crimsonwarlock

14 Jun 2022

Jac459 wrote:
12 Jun 2022
No, UX is new school. GUI was very much used 1990-2005.
Nope, UX predates that period. It encompasses the user interface, regardless if it is graphical. And by graphical we mean pixel-based, as computer screens used to be character-based before that. I still remember all the fun we had back then with incompatible graphics standards like SVGA and Hercules :geek:

There's also HMI or human-machine interface (which also includes input/output peripherals). But that term gives me a vision of plugging a cable into my skull :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Jac459

14 Jun 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
14 Jun 2022
Jac459 wrote:
12 Jun 2022
Nope, UX predates that period. It encompasses the user interface, regardless if it is graphical. And by graphical we mean pixel-based, as computer screens used to be character-based before that. I still remember all the fun we had back then with incompatible graphics standards like SVGA and Hercules :geek:

There's also HMI or human-machine interface (which also includes input/output peripherals). But that term gives me a vision of plugging a cable into my skull :puf_bigsmile:

"Cognitive scientist Don Norman is credited with coining the term, “user experience” back in the early 1990’s when he worked at Apple"

You are right.

I was more referring to when it became a trend (at least in France). It was strongly attached to agile, design thinking, etc...

By the way I just discover than HMI is not a French term (IHM).
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

moofi

17 Jun 2022

All nice and stuff, gooey still sounds silly ;-) :-D
wendylou wrote:
13 Jun 2022
Some serious thinking going on here! OK, so I use to say "Gee You Eye" until the Gooey people infected my brain! :lol: But then consider this: Do you say 'Nasə or "En Eh Es Eh" :puf_smile:

moofi

21 Jun 2022

Btw what is Nasə? Nase? NASA? Then CET is C-E-T, just like U-P-S, N-A-D, etc, guess doesn´t work as an explanation very well :-D

wendylou

23 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
21 Jun 2022
Btw what is Nasə? Nase? NASA? Then CET is C-E-T, just like U-P-S, N-A-D, etc, guess doesn´t work as an explanation very well :-D
NASA is pronounced with a short "a" sound, as represented in the dictionary phonetically as | ˈnasə |
Nobody speaks each individual letter in this acronym, i.e. En A Es A (NASA), rather they say | ˈnasə |
So it's weird that, for some acronyms, people sometimes spell out the letters and others try to pronounce it as a word.
Language is interesting and weird! :puf_smile:
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

selig
RE Developer

23 Jun 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
14 Jun 2022
Jac459 wrote:
12 Jun 2022

Or the “humane interface” if you take it all the way back to Jef Raskin… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Heater

23 Jun 2022

rootwheel wrote:
13 Jun 2022
It's amazing how much they got right straight out the gate.

crimsonwarlock

23 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
23 Jun 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
14 Jun 2022

Or the “humane interface” if you take it all the way back to Jef Raskin… ;)
Yep, but I tried to hide my age at least a bit... we all know you are old :puf_bigsmile: :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

jam-s

23 Jun 2022

Heater wrote:
23 Jun 2022
rootwheel wrote:
13 Jun 2022
It's amazing how much they got right straight out the gate.
It's amazing how much they copied straight from the Xerox.

^^ fixed that for you. :twisted:

moofi

23 Jun 2022

would be sort of boring otherwise :-)
wendylou wrote:
23 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
21 Jun 2022
NASA is pronounced with a short "a" sound, as represented in the dictionary phonetically as | ˈnasə |
Nobody speaks each individual letter in this acronym, i.e. En A Es A (NASA), rather they say | ˈnasə |
So it's weird that, for some acronyms, people sometimes spell out the letters and others try to pronounce it as a word.
Language is interesting and weird! :puf_smile:

Propellerhands

24 Jun 2022

MrFigg wrote:
12 Jun 2022
Heater wrote:
12 Jun 2022
Everyone else. How do you pronounce it?
Gee You Aye.
Like Jee!
I do it both ways, G, U, I when talking in real life to someone, and gooey in my mind, i.e. when I read about it.
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

• Information