(90s influenced Electronic) - Flashback (UPDATED)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2022

EDIT: The track has now been updated and extended since I first uploaded it here. So if some of the comments doesn't make sense anymore, you know why.

I think a lot 90s influences found their way into this track. Wasn't something I set out to do. But the way I work is I just go with it. Whatever happens happens.

Only used my own synth sounds in this one, mostly patches from the Tritone refills I've posted here.

Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 05 Jul 2022, edited 1 time in total.

crimsonwarlock

18 Jun 2022

Again a beautiful track from you. Really like your arrangements and mix quality. Time to start following you on SoundCloud.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 Jun 2022
Again a beautiful track from you. Really like your arrangements and mix quality. Time to start following you on SoundCloud.
Thanks man, really appreciate it.

crimsonwarlock

18 Jun 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Jun 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 Jun 2022
I don't actually use SoundCloud myself, I have an account I used for a few KVR-OSC tracks. I just dug up my login (username TechnoGremlin) and gave you a follow and a like for this track. Going to listen to more of your tracks coming days/weeks :puf_smile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 Jun 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Jun 2022

I don't actually use SoundCloud myself, I have an account I used for a few KVR-OSC tracks. I just dug up my login (username TechnoGremlin) and gave you a follow and a like for this track. Going to listen to more of your tracks coming days/weeks :puf_smile:
Thanks. Glad to hear you dig it.
If there's too much to choose from and you don't know where to start, some of my personal favorites are: Enigma, Nightmare-1, Wild Och Crazy, Darkness, Snakebite, Bubbles, Legend, A Day At The Circus, Sick?.
But of course sometimes what the artist/song writer likes the most isn't always what most listeners like.

crimsonwarlock

21 Jun 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Jun 2022
If there's too much to choose from and you don't know where to start, some of my personal favorites are: Enigma, Nightmare-1, Wild Och Crazy, Darkness, Snakebite, Bubbles, Legend, A Day At The Circus, Sick?.
But of course sometimes what the artist/song writer likes the most isn't always what most listeners like.
No need to choose, listened to ALL your tracks yesterday as a background playlist while working. Awesome tracks all around :clap:
-------

strangers
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2022

Really good work, as usual. I like the energetic drums and bassline while the lead is more chill.

How was it only using your own sounds? Did you find it more inspiring or easier to work?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
21 Jun 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Jun 2022
No need to choose, listened to ALL your tracks yesterday as a background playlist while working. Awesome tracks all around :clap:
Wow, I take that as a huge compliment. Thanks. Made my day. :puf_smile:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2022

strangers wrote:
21 Jun 2022
Really good work, as usual. I like the energetic drums and bassline while the lead is more chill.

How was it only using your own sounds? Did you find it more inspiring or easier to work?
Thanks. I've tried using only my own patches in one other track as well, on "In The Shadows".
I don't think it has any major effect on how my music comes out. Some sounds appeal to me while others don't. Doesn't really matter if I made them or someone else did. But I find it easier to scroll through my own patches and quickly finding something that fits my particular taste/style. After all, they're made for exactly that. Anytime I save a patch I can see myself using it in some context. That helps.

reduk

22 Jun 2022

Hi,

Realy nice track, like others said bass and drums are excellent, i visited your soundcloud, there is a lot of good stuff !

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2022

reduk wrote:
22 Jun 2022
Hi,

Realy nice track, like others said bass and drums are excellent, i visited your soundcloud, there is a lot of good stuff !
Thanks, appreciate it. :puf_smile:

Chizmata

24 Jun 2022

would you mind sharing a bit about your ambitions and techniques in making music? because i kinda have a hard time judging it. on the one hand, there are obviously really good sequences, the FM bass "solo" is something the prodigy might have done and the following trancy sequence is right from top class 90s techtrance. on the other hand, the sequences dont always feel connected very well (could be worse though, there is still musical coherence) and when i reach the end of the track, i get the impression that i just listened to a demo instead of a thorough exploration and developement of the source material. so it would be helpful to know where you actually want to go with your music. are you happy "as is" or are you looking for criticism? also, i feel like the musical skill is heavily supported by presets of all kinds (sounds, drumsets, midi loops etc. ). that wouldnt make the music worse, but i'm curious.

RTFX

25 Jun 2022

That was some trip down memory lane. I heard some prodigy, some big beat, sven väth and maybe some orbital.
I really liked that sequence from 0:53!
However, i do have some thoughts.
Allow me to share.
Chizmata was spot on with his comment about feeling like its a demo.
Indeed you go all the way from start to finish, without a break or breather, intro or outro.
Something like a commercial for a 90’s vst-rave generator-kinda thing.
Dont get me wrong. Nothing wrong with it, but it seemed to me heavily compressed and as loud as possible.
I bet it was a fun project and i wonder what you bring to the table next time
All my tracks on my YouTube channel⬇️ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0j ... P0EoiuUkNO

Popey
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2022

really like this track and agree about the 90's feel. good stuff

modecca

25 Jun 2022

Chizmata wrote:
24 Jun 2022
would you mind sharing a bit about your ambitions and techniques in making music? because i kinda have a hard time judging it. on the one hand, there are obviously really good sequences, the FM bass "solo" is something the prodigy might have done and the following trancy sequence is right from top class 90s techtrance. on the other hand, the sequences dont always feel connected very well (could be worse though, there is still musical coherence) and when i reach the end of the track, i get the impression that i just listened to a demo instead of a thorough exploration and developement of the source material. so it would be helpful to know where you actually want to go with your music. are you happy "as is" or are you looking for criticism? also, i feel like the musical skill is heavily supported by presets of all kinds (sounds, drumsets, midi loops etc. ). that wouldnt make the music worse, but i'm curious.
🔗💥

Jac459

25 Jun 2022

modecca wrote:
25 Jun 2022
Hey Modecca, not sure about how much humoristic this video is and even if you are the author of it but I must say I am a bit surprised to see such a reaction on the comments made on the song.

I am relatively new to the forum and have been chocked on many occasions by the violence of some comments around Reason as a software (which is developed by normal human beings like you and me). Browsing the forum it seemed like natural to swear on their work with almost nobody carrying to try to have a more respectful attitude.

On the other hand, in this post, I saw only polite and constructive comments (maybe not very tactful thought) and then suddenly it is not ok to give comment if it is even so slightly negative.

I am not saying that I agree with these comments as I got pleasure to listen to TritonAddiction's song but it is certainly not perfect neither and I feel the approach of the author to try to get feedback on the song to decide after if these feedbacks can help him further improve the song a very good approach.

So why? Why this difference of treatment (sorry if I misunderstood a joke)?
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Chizmata

25 Jun 2022

modecca wrote:
25 Jun 2022
Chizmata wrote:
24 Jun 2022
ok im not sure what to make of this video. i found my criticism, while a bit challenging, still thoroughly respectful and rational. but i'll take criticism of my criticism. i'll adress 2 points:

1st. i'll straight admit that i overlooked this:
Only used my own synth sounds in this one, mostly patches from the Tritone refills I've posted here.
and also this:
Haven't really decided if this is the final version or if there will be tweaks to the mix or changes to the arrangement. We'll see. I'm gonna let the song be for a week or so and see how I feel about it. But for now, this is what I've got.
i just stopped at reading "90"s and then gave it a listen.

2nd, lets talk actual music. elaborating on this:
on the other hand, the sequences dont always feel connected very well (could be worse though, there is still musical coherence)
the track has not much going on in terms of transitions, except the dedicated sequence at 1:15. not much drum variation or change of sound colour in the moments before a new sequence starts.
thats not generally bad, but i think this only works well in one of two cases in this track. it does work well at 0:34, when the first, thinner trancy part goes into the fm bass part and i think this is why: the sound of the bass melody is varied from a rather muffled, deep to a strong, clear fm bass, while only slightly varying the rhythm from

++-+-++-++-+-+++ to
+-++-++-+-++-+++

(imagining a step sequencer)

the alarm sound that replaces the pad roughly keeps the 1-bar accent, while the fm bass and the alarm together also roughly replace the frequency area the pad previously occupied. these changes introduce a significant change in the feeling of the song without changing the intensity or the musical content too much. thats why i think this transition works well without any further breaks, snare rolls or whatever. i'm actually a fan of that.

i think it doesnt work so well in the next transition at 0:48, from fm bass to the "big" trancy sequence, for reasons that should be logical now: while significantly changing the feeling of the song, it does not keep enough similarities to make it feel fully consistent to me. the pad is now playing big chords and the high echo blips are introduced - even though a bit ahead to work towards the transition and actually continuing the bass melody. but feeling, intensity and musical content still change relatively abrupt. if id make a suggestion for a transition, it would be to morph or intensify the sum of fm bass and alarm towards the intensity and sound of the following chords, maybe through distortion or some other effect.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2022

I see I’ve gotten quite a bit of responses. Thanks. I’m just quite busy at the moment. I’ll take some time tomorrow to respond to everyone properly.

modecca

25 Jun 2022

Chizmata wrote:
25 Jun 2022

the track has not much going on in terms of transitions, except the dedicated sequence at 1:15. not much drum variation or change of sound colour in the moments before a new sequence starts.
thats not generally bad, but i think this only works well in one of two cases in this track. it does work well at 0:34, when the first, thinner trancy part goes into the fm bass part and i think this is why: the sound of the bass melody is varied from a rather muffled, deep to a strong, clear fm bass, while only slightly varying the rhythm from

++-+-++-++-+-+++ to
+-++-++-+-++-+++

the alarm sound that replaces the pad roughly keeps the 1-bar accent, while the fm bass and the alarm together also roughly replace the frequency area the pad previously occupied. these changes introduce a significant change in the feeling of the song without changing the intensity or the musical content too much. thats why i think this transition works well without any further breaks, snare rolls or whatever. i'm actually a fan of that.

i think it doesnt work so well in the next transition at 0:48, from fm bass to the "big" trancy sequence, for reasons that should be logical now: while significantly changing the feeling of the song, it does not keep enough similarities to make it feel fully consistent to me. the pad is now playing big chords and the high echo blips are introduced - even though a bit ahead to work towards the transition and actually continuing the bass melody. but feeling, intensity and musical content still change relatively abrupt. if id make a suggestion for a transition, it would be to morph or intensify the sum of fm bass and alarm towards the intensity and sound of the following chords, maybe through distortion or some other effect.
For me the most effective choruses, change a lot during the transition, to maximize the energy of the verse chorus relationship.
Granted it is possible for the change to be so abrupt that it compromises the integrity of the song, but to my ears, I sincerely did not experience that.

I appreciate this more technical elaboration of the subject of transition (I just felt the first attempt was too vague to be constructive) and I find it valuable to see what a “minimalist” has to say about Tritones short very fast paced tracks.
The dynamic of such different style gravitations leads to some great food for thought.
🔗💥

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2022

Chizmata wrote:
24 Jun 2022

++-+-++-++-+-+++ to
+-++-++-+-++-+++

"ok im not sure what to make of this video. i found my criticism, while a bit challenging, still thoroughly respectful and rational."

"the alarm sound that replaces the pad roughly keeps the 1-bar accent, while the fm bass and the alarm together also roughly replace the frequency area the pad previously occupied. these changes introduce a significant change in the feeling of the song without changing the intensity or the musical content too much. thats why i think this transition works well without any further breaks, snare rolls or whatever. i'm actually a fan of that.

i think it doesnt work so well in the next transition at 0:48, from fm bass to the "big" trancy sequence, for reasons that should be logical now: while significantly changing the feeling of the song, it does not keep enough similarities to make it feel fully consistent to me. the pad is now playing big chords and the high echo blips are introduced - even though a bit ahead to work towards the transition and actually continuing the bass melody. but feeling, intensity and musical content still change relatively abrupt. if id make a suggestion for a transition, it would be to morph or intensify the sum of fm bass and alarm towards the intensity and sound of the following chords, maybe through distortion or some other effect."
Thanks for your comments and taking the time to listen. I didn't take any offence to your criticism btw.
Like I said in my original post. Most of the time when I make music I don't plan ahead what type of song I'm gonna make. And "ambition" maybe isn't a word I would use myself nowadays regarding my own music making. There was a time when I really was out to get better, studied music a lot and was always looking for new tips and tricks on production/mixing etc. And even though I'm sure there are million things I can still learn, I just don't care that much about actively "improving" anymore. (I think my recent patch making has been the area I've been improving the most lately, though I haven't really thought about it that way).
Where I'm at now I'd rather just focus on having fun with creating music. I care less about if a track ends up great, or not so great. And I find that way of thinking kind of liberating to be honest. It makes experimentation and trying out new ideas a lot easier and more fun.

I agree that the song doesn't feel fully developed just yet. I've listened to the track now over a couple of days and it's very likely I'll try to extend it. Have the song as it is now. But then maybe drop the drums for a while and then back to some action again. I'll see if I can make that work.

Regarding transitions. I agree to some extent. It's not the most cohesive piece of music I've ever made. But I think the different parts work well enough together. I'd say it's the drums and the energy that keeps the song together. Interestingly I personally find the transition from the Prodigy bass part to the chorus to be the best one. I see the bassy/alarm part to work as a build up. And then it's a release once the supersaw chords come in. That's how I experience it anyway.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2022

RTFX wrote:
25 Jun 2022
That was some trip down memory lane. I heard some prodigy, some big beat, sven väth and maybe some orbital.
I really liked that sequence from 0:53!
However, i do have some thoughts.
Allow me to share.
Chizmata was spot on with his comment about feeling like its a demo.
Indeed you go all the way from start to finish, without a break or breather, intro or outro.
Something like a commercial for a 90’s vst-rave generator-kinda thing.
Dont get me wrong. Nothing wrong with it, but it seemed to me heavily compressed and as loud as possible.
I bet it was a fun project and i wonder what you bring to the table next time
Thanks for the comment.
Never heard of Sven Väth or Orbital. Might check those out. :puf_smile:
Like I mentioned in my response to Chizmata, I'll probably try to extend the track, which will most likely make it feel less like a demo.
Most instruments are actually not very compressed. Maybe a 1 dB or 2 in gain reduction. Same with the master bus and limiter which have very light settings. I think mainly it's the drums that may appear to be compressed due to added distortion, which to be fair is a way to compress the sound.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2022

Popey wrote:
25 Jun 2022
really like this track and agree about the 90's feel. good stuff
Thanks Popey :puf_smile:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2022

modecca wrote:
25 Jun 2022
I've responded to most of the things brought up in your video in my response to Chizmata so I won't repeat all that again here.

You're right about me not caring as much about other opinions as much as I used to. It's not that I have anything against feedback or criticism or anything. But I do find the need to listen to my own voice and thoughts to be much greater nowadays, rather than rely on external input. But that goes for everything for me at the moment. I take in way less opinions, news, advice, trends, etc. I think it's a natural reaction to the current times, where we're bombarded with new information and opinions all the time.

Having said that. Feedback can be interesting and useful too. But for me when it comes to art especially is such a subjective experience that I sometimes struggle to know what to do with feedback. So much is about personal taste. I've gotten some good feedback over the years, but I've also gotten some terrible advice too, where people haven't got a clue what I was going for. So in the end you're on your own in deciding what's worth considering and what's not.

Uman's

26 Jun 2022

LoL Sorry, but I have to smile first ! :lol:

I say that the speakers here should take the seed !

We clearly have here the debate between avoiding making notes that speak,
being satisfied with an endless loop,
and the desire to build music based on a melody !

The theme would then deserve more work to serve something other than effects and
last a whole sequence without telling something.
It is work that many should take the trouble to do.

It's a bit of musical research that our friend deserves and he's almost there !

It also lacks a bit of mastering so that the sounds are well detached.
It's ultimately very secondary when you're able to make music that uses real notes!

I say respect to Mr Tritone ! you find the way ! :clap:

(i hope Google trad, will not deserved me)
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

modecca

26 Jun 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Jun 2022

I've responded to most of the things brought up in your video in my response to Chizmata so I won't repeat all that again here.

You're right about me not caring as much about other opinions as much as I used to. It's not that I have anything against feedback or criticism or anything. But I do find the need to listen to my own voice and thoughts to be much greater nowadays, rather than rely on external input. But that goes for everything for me at the moment. I take in way less opinions, news, advice, trends, etc. I think it's a natural reaction to the current times, where we're bombarded with new information and opinions all the time.

Having said that. Feedback can be interesting and useful too. But for me when it comes to art especially is such a subjective experience that I sometimes struggle to know what to do with feedback. So much is about personal taste. I've gotten some good feedback over the years, but I've also gotten some terrible advice too, where people haven't got a clue what I was going for. So in the end you're on your own in deciding what's worth considering and what's not.

🔗💥

• Information