HELP Robotic Bean Sequences record without quantization

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
moalla

19 Jun 2022

Is there a chance for live setups, just jamming in the studio to record without quantization in sequences, it would be really really fine to have this opportunity Mr.Robotic, especial for humaniced drumming ;)
This is the last thing i need for our project setup to record funky results per midi, otherwise it´s not te best way to have this feature only using Arturia Spark 2, what runing unstable, to save unquantized note data in patterns...

nice regards
Last edited by moalla on 20 Jun 2022, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

challism

19 Jun 2022

I don't think it's possible. It always locks the recorded events to a quantized position.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

buddard
RE Developer

20 Jun 2022

Challism is right, Sequences will always quantize the input because it is fundamentally a step sequencer, and all the operations it does are step based.

chimp_spanner

20 Jun 2022

Yeah I guess the only way would be an offset control right? I just recently got the MC-101 and even though it has a rigid 16th note sequencer, every step can have a start offset allowing it to, functionally, record unquantised. But, it’s a case of whether or not that’s within the scope of what Sequences does. Personally I can’t say it’s something I’ve needed but I can see how it’d be useful. More than anything though I would like different play-head directions. Like ping-pong, pendulum, random, etc.

That said even without it, hands down the best step sequencer for Reason <3

PhillipOrdonez

20 Jun 2022

For entirely different reasons than op, I would like the ability to slide individual notes in sequences' sequencer.

huggermugger

20 Jun 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Jun 2022
For entirely different reasons than op, I would like the ability to slide individual notes in sequences' sequencer.
PolyStep has a per-note slide setting. Apart from the 16-step display limit, it has many similarities to Sequences.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 8.53.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 8.53.47 AM.png (265.79 KiB) Viewed 2365 times

huggermugger

20 Jun 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
20 Jun 2022
More than anything though I would like different play-head directions. Like ping-pong, pendulum, random, etc.
Although it's not a Player and it's monophonic (which is understandably a deal breaker for many), Robotic Bean's Step Note Recorder is really versatile. It's got several playback modes, including Brownian (like a walk mode, randomly steps forward or backward or remains on the same step, but with a tendency to step forward). It has an option to shuffle not just 1/16ths, but also 1/8ths and 1/4ers. Plus plenty of connectivity on the back, including a Position CV input that lets you control the playback position with things like LFO's, ENV's, and even other sequencers, and Position CV out which lets you keep two Steps position-locked, even in random playback mode.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 8.57.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 8.57.56 AM.png (235.03 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 9.03.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 9.03.18 AM.png (326.09 KiB) Viewed 2347 times

PhillipOrdonez

20 Jun 2022

huggermugger wrote:
20 Jun 2022
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Jun 2022
PolyStep has a per-note slide setting. Apart from the 16-step display limit, it has many similarities to Sequences.
Yeah, but I need that in sequences, though 😂

huggermugger

20 Jun 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Jun 2022
huggermugger wrote:
20 Jun 2022

lol or maybe you need to buy PolyStep :P

PhillipOrdonez

20 Jun 2022

huggermugger wrote:
20 Jun 2022
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Jun 2022

lol or maybe you need to buy PolyStep :P
Got it already, I still need it in sequences instead!

moalla

20 Jun 2022

buddard wrote:
20 Jun 2022
Challism is right, Sequences will always quantize the input because it is fundamentally a step sequencer, and all the operations it does are step based.
Okay that´s a pity, so we still have to wait that you robotic bean code a unqantized pattern sequencer for more funk, or do i understand this in the right matter, it´s a limitation of the Re SDK!?
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

buddard
RE Developer

20 Jun 2022

moalla wrote:
20 Jun 2022
buddard wrote:
20 Jun 2022
Okay that´s a pity, so we still have to wait that you robotic bean code a unqantized pattern sequencer for more funk, or do i understand this in the right matter, it´s a limitation of the Re SDK!?
It's not a limitation of the RE SDK, it's just that we set out to build a sequencer around the concept of quick and easy per-step manipulation of sequences using the lanes, timing edit handles etc. I'm not sure how unquantized recording would fit inside that concept? Proposals and elaborations are welcome! :-)

moalla

20 Jun 2022

I it´s not a limitation than please go for it, cause as hardware there are only beatstep pro, drumbrute impact, mpc one and sqard pyramid on the market with this feature, i´m looking also for an ipad app, but there is nothing wich looks really usable. So I could also record unquantized patterns in arturias spark2.5 and export the beat per midi drag and drop into the sequencer...
At the other side reason could fire up live samples, but it would be really nice to have a simple midi clip sampler for unquantized note lanes like dr octo rex ;)

challism

20 Jun 2022

buddard wrote:
20 Jun 2022
Challism is right
Ah! My three favorite words!
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Jun 2022
huggermugger wrote:
20 Jun 2022

Do you have Kompulsion by any chance? It also has the ability to slide (called DLY in the GUI) individual notes.

Also, there's a sequencer that's built right into Reason and it will record notes as you play them or it will quantize them for you as you play them. It's pretty useful. You should give it a try! ;) So much smart assery around this place.
seq.JPG
seq.JPG (16.06 KiB) Viewed 2215 times

DaveyG

21 Jun 2022

Chalism is being a bit facetious (I know, right?) but he is correct. You are using the wrong tool for the job. Just record your live stuff in to the sequencer then use blocks to arrange it.

moalla

21 Jun 2022

viewtopic.php?t=7506130

There are several threads about this theme, so why nothing happens!?
Last edited by moalla on 21 Jun 2022, edited 4 times in total.

moalla

21 Jun 2022

DaveyG wrote:
21 Jun 2022
Chalism is being a bit facetious (I know, right?) but he is correct. You are using the wrong tool for the job. Just record your live stuff in to the sequencer then use blocks to arrange it.
Your right , but what i want is a midi pattern player wich could record unquantized, for live usage. Not for 4/4 Techno/Electro, or 3/4 Hip Hop,
but for example 7/8 Rythms and melodies with real dynamics. That´s all i want, or at least a function to use midi loops from the sequencer as clips like ableton for example in a reason clip launcher..
I know i could use ableton for that but in the past i used rewire sometimes for this but the workflow at all was shit, and now reason as vst it´s in live usage with a i7 laptob not really working, or the latency is up 512samples for some synths,
So mine is like people write sometimes in this forum, their stability and computing performance is much more better if they only use rack extensions, and before i will buy a new laptob it must be fast as my Ryzen 3900x for under 1000€, my desktop is quiet mobile in his 5 liter housing, but needs a power socket or a 1,8k 27kg monster like this :clap:

So please rack extension coders, especial Buddard i hope you will bring in sequences a unquantinzed rec mode update, your player is called sequences and not step sequences, sequences are not time based, or I´m wrong :o your work is rally awesome, but this is one of the most needed player functions for instrumentalist and dynamic backing tracks without tons of wave loops :puf_smile:

Tweak

24 Jun 2022

buddard wrote:
20 Jun 2022
It's not a limitation of the RE SDK, it's just that we set out to build a sequencer around the concept of quick and easy per-step manipulation of sequences using the lanes, timing edit handles etc. I'm not sure how unquantized recording would fit inside that concept? Proposals and elaborations are welcome! :-)
Challenge accepted!

- Allow the recording of unquantized note positions, and play these back unquantized
- Use the main display of the device to show the notes quantized positions, but provide indicators that notes have a +/- slide value if their unquantized positions do not fall on the beat.
- Use the last empty rectangle in the UI (after CV2) to allow a per note +/- slide value that lets the user move notes before or after the quanitzed location

Something roughly like:
Sequences (Unquantized).png
Sequences (Unquantized).png (175.9 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
Last edited by Tweak on 24 Jun 2022, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

24 Jun 2022

buddard wrote:
20 Jun 2022
moalla wrote:
20 Jun 2022

Check out how Novation SL mkIII does this - crude but effective. They use 6 ‘sub steps’ for each sequencer step which allows a bit of un-quantized recording, strumming effects, or just nudging a note off the beat slightly.
Selig Audio, LLC

moalla

25 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
20 Jun 2022
buddard wrote:
20 Jun 2022
Challism is right
Ah! My three favorite words!
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Jun 2022

Do you have Kompulsion by any chance? It also has the ability to slide (called DLY in the GUI) individual notes.

Also, there's a sequencer that's built right into Reason and it will record notes as you play them or it will quantize them for you as you play them. It's pretty useful. You should give it a try! ;) So much smart assery around this place.
seq.JPG
WHEN in KOMPULSION has a function you wrote, than that's perfect to make unquantized patterns on the fly but I understand that's not for recording directly.? This evening we had a jam and we made a simple unquantized beat with Arturia Spark2 works nice only Problem was that shity midi sync from Reason no real chance to get a tight timing to be in sync with the host reason pc instance to the slave beat and synth notebook, maybe there is some workaround, but if I check the clock with midiox every time the midi clock jumps. I have to check ableton link, but how I could send then from the slave machine a right timing to an Rc505 loopstation, do I need a third pc how receives the link sync and transfers the clock to the looper for this?

challism

25 Jun 2022

moalla wrote:
25 Jun 2022

WHEN in KOMPULSION has a function you wrote, than that's perfect to make unquantized patterns on the fly but I understand that's not for recording directly.?
That's correct, Kompulsion doesn't have a record function. I really wish it did. So this wouldn't work for a live environment.
moalla wrote:
25 Jun 2022
I have to check ableton link, but how I could send then from the slave machine a right timing to an Rc505 loopstation, do I need a third pc how receives the link sync and transfers the clock to the looper for this?
I don't know.

• Information