Is waiting to register reason 12 upgrade okay?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
glass-puppy

03 Jun 2022

I just bought an upgrade from reason 4 to 12, thought I'd take advantage of the sale and save a little coin. But I'll need a new laptop for it and was wondering if I can hold off on registering it for a few months. Looking to save up for a better laptop than what I'd presently be able to afford.
Last edited by glass-puppy on 03 Jun 2022, edited 1 time in total.

DaveyG

03 Jun 2022

You can hold off registering it but there is not much to be gained by doing so unless you wait until R13 is announced in the hope of getting a free upgrade to it but that is unlikely to happen soon. Registering it just adds it to your account. You can still use R4 after that.

I'd be inclined to register it and try installing it on your laptop. You might find it is usable for simple songs and racks.

jam-s

03 Jun 2022

If you're not in a hurry (esp. as you don't have capable hardware right now), I'd wait (possibly until late 2023) to register it in the grace period after R13 has been announced so you would get the upgrade to R13 for free. Registering it now only gives you the ability to take advantage of RE sales.

Jagwah

03 Jun 2022

If you can wait for Reason 13 there will be three new rack devices and some bug fixes when it drops :)

Ninjadog

05 Jun 2022

If your worried it will be tied to your old laptop, you can change that over very easily.

glass-puppy

09 Jun 2022

Really? That's cool. Do I need to have internet access to use the software or can I be offline?

Heigen5

09 Jun 2022

glass-puppy wrote:
09 Jun 2022
Really? That's cool. Do I need to have internet access to use the software or can I be offline?
Only those who got an USB-key in the days back can be using Reason in the offline mode. And those who use Reason + can only use an internet login.
But, based on what the RS has been stated in the blog, - they-re working on a some kind of an offline mode, which will be introduced in the future at some point.
You probably don't have an USB-key so you can only use internet mode atm.

honeyBadger

09 Jun 2022

Heigen5 wrote:
09 Jun 2022
glass-puppy wrote:
09 Jun 2022
Only those who got an USB-key in the days back can be using Reason in the offline mode. And those who use Reason + can only use an internet login.
But, based on what the RS has been stated in the blog, - they-re working on a some kind of an offline mode, which will be introduced in the future at some point.
If you have a perpetual Reason 12 license you can work offline without a USB key:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/authorization
You can only have one computer authorized for offline use at a time. If you have a second computer you'll need to be online to authorize it or first un-authorize the first computer.
The other restriction when offline is that you won't be able to use any REs that you have on trial. You'll need to either delete them or Reason will prompt you to login for online authorization.

Heigen5

09 Jun 2022

honeyBadger wrote:
09 Jun 2022
Heigen5 wrote:
09 Jun 2022

If you have a perpetual Reason 12 license you can work offline without a USB key:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/authorization
You can only have one computer authorized for offline use at a time. If you have a second computer you'll need to be online to authorize it or first un-authorize the first computer.
The other restriction when offline is that you won't be able to use any REs that you have on trial. You'll need to either delete them or Reason will prompt you to login for online authorization.
Ok, thanks for clarifying this.

challism

09 Jun 2022

Jagwah wrote:
03 Jun 2022
If you can wait for Reason 13 there will be three new rack devices and some bug fixes when it drops :)
Is this an assumption or has there been some kind of announcement made?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

huggermugger

09 Jun 2022

You can register it without installing it. I upgraded from R11 before they jacked up the price, and registered it in my account, and even downloaded an installer, but I haven't installed it yet. I'll wait until people stop reporting bugs (which may be never).

Jagwah

09 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
09 Jun 2022
Jagwah wrote:
03 Jun 2022
Bit of an inside joke but I can see how it's not appropriate for someone out of the loop, so my bad - it's just an assumption!

challism

09 Jun 2022

Jagwah wrote:
09 Jun 2022
challism wrote:
09 Jun 2022

Bit of an inside joke but I can see how it's not appropriate for someone out of the loop, so my bad - it's just an assumption!
I just feel bad that I'm out of the loop. Where is this loop, and how do I get inside of it?

Propellerhands

11 Jun 2022

Windows 10 forever, Reason 12 forever, Android 11 forever. This is how I roll. Anything after that is just pure consumerism at this point with reduced comfort for users.

I would even have stayed with R11 if not for the GUI scaling update in R12 that should have been since version 10 at very least. And my boomer skeptical mind says we won't see any major improvements on Reason up to version 15. What Reason does not need to is new rack devices or effects. Just make it as close to Ableton as possible please. Still can't use Ctulhu.
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

Jagwah

20 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
09 Jun 2022
Jagwah wrote:
09 Jun 2022

I just feel bad that I'm out of the loop. Where is this loop, and how do I get inside of it?
Oh you're in the loop, you and your buddies control the loop from up there in your ivory towers, or something to that effect :lol:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2022

Jagwah wrote:
03 Jun 2022
There’ll be three new bugs and a broken rack device.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

20 Jun 2022

Jagwah wrote:
20 Jun 2022
challism wrote:
09 Jun 2022

Oh you're in the loop, you and your buddies control the loop from up there in your ivory towers, or something to that effect :lol:
Good reason to stay out of the loop... because the loop is really just a noose in disguise.

orthodox
RE Developer

20 Jun 2022

MrFigg wrote:
20 Jun 2022
Jagwah wrote:
03 Jun 2022
There’ll be three new bugs and a broken rack device.
That will depend on how it drops, there may be more devices broken.

DaveyG

21 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
20 Jun 2022
... because the loop is really just a noose in disguise.
Yeah, but it's shiny and feels so soft against your skin.

motuscott

21 Jun 2022

Does the rebranded Reason Studio Hi Res make my nu joint look phat?
asking for a friend

Demoing our sputtering civilization for the 30 day free trial, but it don't look good
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Jagwah

22 Jun 2022

Lol you guys! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Information