Despite all my FUD, I'm happy as a pig in the MUD [R12=OK]

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
rgdaniel

20 Jun 2022

After months of holding off on R12, turns out I CAN be bought... 60% off seems to be the shiny lure this largemouth bass could not resist biting. Sitting here with an 8-year-old PC, decent in its day and perfectly fine for R11 and most of whatever else I need to do, I was concerned it would not play nice with R12, particularly given all the FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) that accompanied the release of R12. And quite rightly, I expect, for the most part. It was a bit of a clusterboink for a while there.

So I figured I'd just sit on it until I pulled the trigger on a new PC. But I got bored and installed it anyway. I remembered to turn off all my anti-virus and anti-malware stuff, so it installed fine. Took a few passes to Sync All my RE's to hi-res versions (which in retrospect I would NOT have bothered doing - my 1920x1080 display shows little difference). Everything else was as it should be, and after making a R11 fallback copy of my current project, I was right back to work. Bit anticlimactic, to be honest, but not complaining.

Propellerhands

20 Jun 2022

You also didn't notice those "breath-taking new graphics", right? Me neither. But it works, so all is good.
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

chimp_spanner

20 Jun 2022

I don't work on Mac anymore, but when I did the visual quality of 12 was very noticeable vs PC, as it had a Retina display. On 1080, it's kinda hard to appreciate. But I hope to have a UHD display soon. Sure I'll notice it then!

EnochLight

20 Jun 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
20 Jun 2022
You also didn't notice those "breath-taking new graphics", right? Me neither.
Options - Application Zoom - 240%. Load a device. That should help you appreciate the difference in graphics compared to version 11 and earlier..

(or, just right-click on this and open in a new tab)...

240_Zoom.JPG
240_Zoom.JPG (181.94 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

rgdaniel

20 Jun 2022

EnochLight wrote:
20 Jun 2022
Options - Application Zoom - 240%. Load a device. That should help you appreciate the difference in graphics compared to version 11 and earlier..
Yup, did that, went "oooh" and also "aaah", then put it back to 100% so I could actually use it... If I get a more Retiny monitor someday, I'm sure I'll appreciate the zoom and the hi-res. It's more of a future-proofing for now...

EnochLight

20 Jun 2022

rgdaniel wrote:
20 Jun 2022
Yup, did that, went "oooh" and also "aaah", then put it back to 100% so I could actually use it... If I get a more Retiny monitor someday, I'm sure I'll appreciate the zoom and the hi-res. It's more of a future-proofing for now...
I'm still running twin 1080p panels. I bumped the zoom up to 140% because I like a larger rack device size. Sometimes I'll bump it higher if I really need the device I'm working on to be front and center (wish Reason standalone DAW handled rack zoom a lot better than it does currently).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Propellerhands

20 Jun 2022

EnochLight wrote:
20 Jun 2022
Propellerhands wrote:
20 Jun 2022
You also didn't notice those "breath-taking new graphics", right? Me neither.

(or, just right-click on this and open in a new tab)...

I stand corrected, you are right. However I already knew that because that's the only reason I upgraded from 11 to 12, to upscale graphics if I needed it someday. But working in my regular settings I did not notice much change on my monitor, hence my comment. Maybe on 4k monitor I would see a sharper difference, not with FHD (17 incher) for sure.
rgdaniel wrote:
20 Jun 2022

same here, I did it for 1 second to see how it works and went back to 100 percent :D
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

EnochLight

20 Jun 2022

100% is laughably too small for my tastes, even at 1080p. But I've been squinting at Reason for so long, anything above that seems like a miracle.

stratatonic

20 Jun 2022

rgdaniel wrote:
20 Jun 2022
EnochLight wrote:
20 Jun 2022
Yup, did that, went "oooh" and also "aaah", then put it back to 100% so I could actually use it...
Yeah it's a real shame that EVERYTHING zooms equally. Nothing like having the transport bar taking up 1/3 of the monitor :lol:

I use it at 100% as well. I do use a keyboard shortcut that can pop the Rack to 160 if need be, and another one to bring it back to 100. Stlll kinda kludgey though.

rgdaniel

20 Jun 2022

stratatonic wrote:
20 Jun 2022
I use it at 100% as well. I do use a keyboard shortcut that can pop the Rack to 160 if need be, and another one to bring it back to 100. Stlll kinda kludgey though.
Going with 120% for now. EnochLight shamed me into it... :lol: Not sure I'll stick there though...

jam-s

20 Jun 2022

If they would simply allow different zoom settings for each individual window (rack, mixer, sequencer). It can't be that hard to implement it if they've got the global app zoom working pretty much now.

stratatonic

20 Jun 2022

rgdaniel wrote:
20 Jun 2022
stratatonic wrote:
20 Jun 2022
Going with 120% for now. EnochLight shamed me into it... :lol: Not sure I'll stick there though...
Yeah, I thought I should at least go to 120 as well - since I could. Tried for a bit, but I went back to 100. The bigger browser, transport and grey dividing lines were just pissing me off. :lol:

rgdaniel

20 Jun 2022

stratatonic wrote:
20 Jun 2022
Yeah, I thought I should at least go to 120 as well - since I could. Tried for a bit, but I went back to 100. The bigger browser, transport and grey dividing lines were just pissing me off. :lol:
Looking at it now, I'm leaning back the other way again... I like to keep all windows a little bit showing, like enough of the mixer to show the fader up to width and pan, and one or two instruments in the rack, and three or four sequencer lanes. That's my default view, changing on the fly as I work of course. At 100% that's about what I get. But at 120%, I get ONE medium instrument in the rack (eg. kHs One), ONE sequencer lane, and HALF of the faders. I can't live like that! :lol:

motuscott

20 Jun 2022

Looking forward to having Reas12 drag my skirt in the dirt.
I didn't spend $70+ USdollar upgrading not to have a ReasonTalk
batch,
Simply cannot get auto punch in to werk...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

motuscott

20 Jun 2022

Unable to post the phrase, "ReasonTalk batch fest".
Y R my rights being trampled?

motuscott

20 Jun 2022

What is Batchfest?

motuscott

20 Jun 2022

I think we all know what I mean

Steedus
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2022

Don't flip round the back of Monotone though .. one of the laziest rear panels Reason's ever had. It's literally a flat grey plane. First time I saw it I literally thought they'd accidentally shipped a WIP version.

(sorry to be a hater :twisted: )
Last edited by Steedus on 20 Jun 2022, edited 1 time in total.

moofi

20 Jun 2022

Since the rendering of the devices with the new graphics isn´t as sharp anymore like it was prior to Reason 12 because there is some sort of blurry overlay thing happening (I find for example Redrum still possible to read yet quite tiring aswell) I at least work on 110%, though I´m usually at least at 120%, mostly used ones are 140% +160%.
Especially when focussing on one device. Also during Combinator creations where it might go up to 180% and sometimes even 200%, rarely 240%, though I feel like for standard working, 180% is already a bit too close. A little different when patching where I usually use smaller zoom levels.
I jump back and forth anyway, no constant resolution. Also in regards to editing in the sequencer or the rack I use different resolutions. Merely wish it was easier to switch by a keyboard short cut e.g.

An additional feature of the zoomability is you can lean back and easily work from a relaxed position aswell. I aswell enjoy looking at well design devices in greater size because it transports the emotional design much better plus I´m very much feeling like being straight at it.

EDIT: after observing a little more consciously, I feel like I work mostly in 120-140%, followed by 160%. Highly situational though anyway.
rgdaniel wrote:
20 Jun 2022
stratatonic wrote:
20 Jun 2022
Looking at it now, I'm leaning back the other way again... I like to keep all windows a little bit showing, like enough of the mixer to show the fader up to width and pan, and one or two instruments in the rack, and three or four sequencer lanes. That's my default view, changing on the fly as I work of course. At 100% that's about what I get. But at 120%, I get ONE medium instrument in the rack (eg. kHs One), ONE sequencer lane, and HALF of the faders. I can't live like that! :lol:

challism

20 Jun 2022

rgdaniel wrote:
20 Jun 2022
60% off seems to be the shiny lure this largemouth bass could not resist biting.
I'm confused. Are you a pig or a fish?

I'm glad to hear you are happy with R12. I am too, for the most part. I know some users have had a terrible time using it, but I haven't ever really run into any major issues.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

raymondh

21 Jun 2022

I'm really happy with R12 too now I've upgraded (thanks for the sale Props, I mean ReasonStudios!)

I like the fast browser search, and I like the hi-res UI.
I'm running a 1440p monitor, and zoom at 120% or 140% is a big improvement for me.
As I'm running RRP inside Reaper, I am enjoying the benefit of the normal size Reaper sequencer view, but with the zoomed in Reason plugin when I want to do sound design etc. Feels like having the benefit of both worlds, and now Reason looks big and pretty just like my VSTs (excluding Waves :D ).

DaveyG

21 Jun 2022

EnochLight wrote:
20 Jun 2022
But I've been squinting at Reason for so long, anything above that seems like a miracle.
That's the Reason mindset - RS are so slow to do stuff that we end up grateful for whatever crumbs we get!

jonnyretina

21 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
20 Jun 2022
Since the rendering of the devices with the new graphics isn´t as sharp anymore like it was prior to Reason 12 because there is some sort of blurry overlay thing happening (I find for example Redrum still possible to read yet quite tiring aswell) I at least work on 110%
I think what happened is that the original Reason assets were all drawn explicitly for @1x zoom, so they are crisp at 100%.

These new 12 assets were drawn for much higher resolutions first - @4x or maybe even @8x - and then simply resized back down from the large dimensions to a 100% equivalent size with a Bilinear or Bicubic filter afterwards. This is why they look blurry and worse than the older ones. The original ones are essentially pixel art :)

On a non-HiDPI device, Reason 12 is actually a visual downgrade as none of the devices now look as crisp at 100% zoom cause you are looking at a downscaled image rather than an asset actually drawn and designed for that pixel dimension originally.

I don't really understand why Reason Studios couldn't have just kept all the old 100% assets in situ or left them in just for standard DPI devices. They could have then only loaded the newer assets for HiDPI devices or for > 100% zoom on standard DPI.

motuscott

21 Jun 2022

Reas12 still allowing me to not finish anything!
Ur thots...

EnochLight

21 Jun 2022

DaveyG wrote:
21 Jun 2022
EnochLight wrote:
20 Jun 2022
But I've been squinting at Reason for so long, anything above that seems like a miracle.
That's the Reason mindset - RS are so slow to do stuff that we end up grateful for whatever crumbs we get!
Slow? It only took 12 major version releases! :lol: :mrgreen:

• Information