New RE 295 Equaliser by EKSS and Past to Future

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DJMaytag

14 Jun 2022

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... equalizer/

I’m going to check this one out, but it’s a bummer that there is no CV control over anything on this.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cey09y4jo8V/

dvdrtldg

14 Jun 2022

Looks like Soundtoys SieQ, which I guess isn't surprising

Bes
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2022

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... equalizer/

The 295EQ captures the spirit of a vintage analog German equalizer, known as one of the best, creamiest and most colorful of all the germanium EQs. Originally found in broadcast consoles, designed for radio station use.

It featured a fixed frequency High- and Low-Shelf with +/-15dB in 3dB increments, both based on the classic Resistor/Capacitor design. The multi-tapped inductor-based Mid Range Bell has set frequencies of 700Hz, 1kHz, 1.5kHz, 2.3kHz, 3.5kHz, and 5.6kHz with +/-8dB in 2dB increments.

Based on IRs carefully captured by Past to Future combined with DSP modelling for that analog vibe that Ekssperimental Sounds has become known for.
- Certified Reason expert

Quarmat
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2022

Ooooh dem sexy knobs

Bes
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2022

i wish we could get the 'clunk' sounds of the knobs too

Bes
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2022

oh i see there are two of these threads now. mods can delete this or merge, i don't mind :thumbup:

MarkTarlton

14 Jun 2022

love the siemens eq! midrange delight :)

Steedus
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2022

Pretty sure he's working on a couple of creative delay and reverb devices too - expected those to be next.

dvdrtldg

14 Jun 2022

MarkTarlton wrote:
14 Jun 2022
love the siemens eq! midrange delight :)
If I ever release an EQ plugin, I'm going to call it Midrange Delight

AnotherMathias

15 Jun 2022

I just wanted to give a huge thumbs up for this one!
There's gobs of character here, instant 1960's sound.

While there's only a few controls, they are well thought out, very interactive, and can be quite versatile. But what really makes it shine is the quality of saturation you get, even on lowish gain settings. Not distortion per se (unless you crank the gains), but a crunchy sparkle.
I have no idea of how it compares to the original hardware, or the SoundToys VST one, but since it uses convolution (probably a separate IR response for each notch of the knob), there's a chance that it might get pretty close.

A few downsides - it uses a fair bit of CPU. On my old Macbook Pro, the Class EQ uses 0%, the Channel EQ uses 1%, the RedRock ModularRE ones use 1%, but the EKSS 295 uses 5-6%! That would add up quickly if I used it as a channel EQ on a dozen channels. And the CPU drain doesn't go down if you use it as a mono unit on a single input/output.

And since it overdrives easily (you can make things fuzzy with some EQ boost, even with the input gain set to +-0), some metering to help you monitor the crunch would be appreciated.

ekss
RE Developer

15 Jun 2022

AnotherMathias wrote:
15 Jun 2022
I just wanted to give a huge thumbs up for this one!
There's gobs of character here, instant 1960's sound.

While there's only a few controls, they are well thought out, very interactive, and can be quite versatile. But what really makes it shine is the quality of saturation you get, even on lowish gain settings. Not distortion per se (unless you crank the gains), but a crunchy sparkle.
I have no idea of how it compares to the original hardware, or the SoundToys VST one, but since it uses convolution (probably a separate IR response for each notch of the knob), there's a chance that it might get pretty close.

A few downsides - it uses a fair bit of CPU. On my old Macbook Pro, the Class EQ uses 0%, the Channel EQ uses 1%, the RedRock ModularRE ones use 1%, but the EKSS 295 uses 5-6%! That would add up quickly if I used it as a channel EQ on a dozen channels. And the CPU drain doesn't go down if you use it as a mono unit on a single input/output.

And since it overdrives easily (you can make things fuzzy with some EQ boost, even with the input gain set to +-0), some metering to help you monitor the crunch would be appreciated.
Thanks for the feedback!
Yes, each knob setting is a separate IR. The convolution module in Gorilla Engine eats some CPU on the highest setting so it might be a good idea to incorporate a CPU savings option in an update!
Some kind of metering would be good too!

Cheers!

moofi

15 Jun 2022

Quite pleasant crunch on it :-)

moofi

16 Jun 2022

True, I´m wondering why not :-)
DJMaytag wrote:
14 Jun 2022
[...]

I’m going to check this one out, but it’s a bummer that there is no CV control over anything on this.

[...]

AnotherMathias

16 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
16 Jun 2022
DJMaytag wrote:
14 Jun 2022
[...]

[...]
Since the EQ controls step through a collection of IRs, there’s no way to make those controls respond smoothly to CV.
The input and output gains could, I suppose.

<Edit>
Actually, the input and output gain knobs are stepped as well, but they don't cut the sound off briefly, like the EQ knobs do.
Maybe that means they could be CV controlled without the steps, but that's doesn't seem to be worth the trouble.
Last edited by AnotherMathias on 16 Jun 2022, edited 1 time in total.

AnotherMathias

16 Jun 2022

ekss wrote:
15 Jun 2022
Thanks for the feedback!
Yes, each knob setting is a separate IR. The convolution module in Gorilla Engine eats some CPU on the highest setting so it might be a good idea to incorporate a CPU savings option in an update!
Some kind of metering would be good too!

Cheers!
Awesome - CPU savings and metering would make it really great!

moofi

16 Jun 2022

I hear what you are saying then I love stepped modulation where wanted as long as it doesn´t produce clicks.
The frequency parameters do produce clicks, the gains are doing well.

Edit: Btw why trouble? I at least guess it should be fairly easy doing so, especially having done it many times. Just a guess though.

Edit2: I love stepped modulation especially at audiorates.
AnotherMathias wrote:
16 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
16 Jun 2022

Since the EQ controls step through a collection of IRs, there’s no way to make those controls respond smoothly to CV.

<Edit>
Actually, the input and output gain knobs are stepped as well, but they don't cut the sound off briefly, like the EQ knobs do.
Maybe that means they could be CV controlled without the steps, but that's doesn't seem to be worth the trouble.

ekss
RE Developer

17 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
16 Jun 2022
I hear what you are saying then I love stepped modulation where wanted as long as it doesn´t produce clicks.

Edit: Btw why trouble? I at least guess it should be fairly easy doing so, especially having done it many times. Just a guess though.

AnotherMathias wrote:
16 Jun 2022

<Edit>
Like you said, there are small clicks when mid frequencies are changed, as the IRs are activated/deactivated, I minimized it by having it bypass for a few milliseconds during the change but it will always be a gap while switching. So modulating it would not be a pleasant experience.
The in/out gain could be smoothly modulated by cv but I didn’t think it was essential, and it could easily be modulated by something before or after, using for example the mix channel level cv.

jam-s

17 Jun 2022

ekss wrote:
17 Jun 2022
Like you said, there are small clicks when mid frequencies are changed, as the IRs are activated/deactivated, I minimized it by having it bypass for a few milliseconds during the change but it will always be a gap while switching. So modulating it would not be a pleasant experience.
The in/out gain could be smoothly modulated by cv but I didn’t think it was essential, and it could easily be modulated by something before or after, using for example the mix channel level cv.
Wouldn't it be possible to load the new IR in the background and then crossfade between both so no clicks or sudden silence would occur?

moofi

17 Jun 2022

What I was referring to is the gain knob for every frequency because those are clean when being modulated, it´s merely clicking with the frequency band changing. Saying while testing audiorate modulation on this specific EQ´s frequency gains I really liked the sound they produce because they are stepped. The edginess of the stepped modulation along the crunch of this EQ adds a pleasant, well, edge to it :-D

Can create an audioexample. In this case it´s, like usual, possible doing it via a Combinator, yet it´s always preferrable to have both options because of the limitations of CV-ins of the Combinator for one, then being able to directly connect to a parameter via CV-ins of a device is less complex where a simple connection is needed. It´s aswell visually connecting while the instance of a Combinator in between makes it more abstract.
ekss wrote:
17 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
16 Jun 2022

Kalm

05 Aug 2022

I'll be picking this up when some spare cash comes through
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Mar 2023

I just tried this. Don't know why I didn't before. Absolutely brilliant. My kind of EQ.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Steedus
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2023

Yeah a little gutted I bought the Ekss + PTF bundle before this came out and was included - though I presume the bundle costs a bit more now. Most of the other PTF colabs are pretty great.

reasonosaer

31 Mar 2023

i always wished sieQ had kept the stepped frequencies of the original like this does, i tried it when it came out and it sounds great as do a couple other things in this bundle.

but adding something to a bundle that i purchased when it just went on sale just a couple weeks before this came out and then adding it to the bundle i've just purchased without giving me a license is a great way to make sure i don't buy this or anything else from you anytime soon. and no neither the price of the bundle or the sale price it's at now changed when this eq was added.

RE developers of all people should know better than to be doing stuff that's predictably going to piss off their best customers given the front row seat they had for Propellerheads' infamous 2010 - 2020 mismanagement speedrun where they managed to make 80% of their user base despise them, strangled their own plugin format in the cradle, and lost their company to private equity through a deep and unyielding ideological commitment to the business model of giving their most loyal customers the finger anytime the opportunity presented itself and then doubling down when called out for it

dvdrtldg

31 Mar 2023

Goodness me, that post certainly took a turn

• Information