Moog Mavis $349

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

15 Jun 2022

Semi-modular Analog Synthesizer Kit and Eurorack Module - 44HP

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... odule-44hp

• Build-it-yourself model means authentic analog sound with no soldering required
  • Onboard 13-key baker’s octave means quick playback with full glide and KB scaling
  • 1 v/oct setup enables exploration of unusual pitch and tone relationships
  • VCO features Pulse Width Modulation to create even greater range of harmonic character
  • Sculpt classic-style Moog leads and licks with the -24dB Low Pass Ladder Filter
  • Crossfader-based LFO modulation allows you to utilize the 4-stage envelope generator to devise intriguing and uncommon contours
  • Diode wavefolding circuitry means analog additive synthesis is now a possibility
  • 24-point patchbay provides easy Eurorack integration at just 44HP
  • Included protective cover keeps your Mavis clear of dirt and grime, in the studio or on the road

Micha1973

15 Jun 2022

the sound is good but it's not my thing. every sound you made you have to be able to recreate....
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2022

Floor manager: "Factory workers have all gone on strike, sir!"
Marketing: "Don't worry. I got you ..."

Faastwalker

16 Jun 2022

I think It's a cool little synth, especially for beginners or if you want an affordable way in to Moog and/or some modular capability. If you bought a Moog style oscillator and filter as separate Eurorack modules you could easily spend the same as the Mavis. As a standalone desktop the little keypad makes sense I guess. But I would rather it didn't have that and instead had proper knobs more spread out as opposed to those tiny pots. Keypad seems like a waste of space to me.

The big news here is that it has a wavefolder. I don't think there has EVER been a wavefolder on a Moog synth before. So that's the pull if you already have Moog stuff and absolutely don't need this synth. On the other hand there are plenty of similar, desktop semi-modulars out there now. We're spoiled for choice these days. Seems like only yesterday when Korg launched the $50 Monotron and everyone was thinking, 'wouldn't it be cool if they expanded on this a little bit'! :shock:

DaveyG

16 Jun 2022

I think it's a really odd move from Moog. A premium brand moving downmarket but not getting anywhere near the right price point for a product like that, and then adding the quirk that you have to assemble it yourself. I'm sure they will sell some but what's next? A $200 Moogatron?

EdGrip

16 Jun 2022

As a subharmonicon owner, I can confirm that those mini pots are Not Satisfying.

Faastwalker

16 Jun 2022

EdGrip wrote:
16 Jun 2022
As a subharmonicon owner, I can confirm that those mini pots are Not Satisfying.
Same on the DFAM. I was looking to get some of these from Thonk, but the DFAM version I have has stumpy little pots and I'm not sure what size to get. Look like they are a cheap, easy way to make those tiny pots are little nicer to use though;

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/tall-trimmer-toppers/

Synthopathe

17 Jun 2022

If it was in the old Werkstadt price range I'd be more interested. Also I sold my arturia keystep so the lack of midi in is off putting.

I know it's all about the Moog oscillator etc but the Behringer Crave sounds fantastic too and feels like a well laid out synth. Just a shame it's orange!

Heater

17 Jun 2022

I think I’d sooner a Behringer Neutron

DaveyG

17 Jun 2022

Synthopathe wrote:
17 Jun 2022
the lack of midi in is off putting.
Wow. I'd completely missed that. No MIDI or USB MIDI is insane given that they are selling it as a desktop synth as well as a module. :shock:

Synthopathe

17 Jun 2022

DaveyG wrote:
17 Jun 2022
Synthopathe wrote:
17 Jun 2022
Wow. I'd completely missed that. No MIDI or USB MIDI is insane given that they are selling it as a desktop synth as well as a module. :shock:
It is odd. I was watching Loopop's review video and he mentioned 'no midi in' so I stopped watching.

Faastwalker

20 Jun 2022

DaveyG wrote:
17 Jun 2022
Synthopathe wrote:
17 Jun 2022
Does seem like an oversight. Then again, it's the same with the DFAM. No MIDI on it either. Not an issue if you use other modular gear I guess.

On the Mother 32 they had a regular 5-pin DIN MIDI socket on the front panel. On the Subharmonicon they had a mini-jack MIDI input that required an adapter cable.

DFAM & Mavis no MIDI what so ever! They can't make their minds up! Mavis really should have had MIDI input though. Will put people off that want to use it as a desktop / standalone.

mimidancer

20 Jun 2022

I posted about this synth last week. It is underwhelming IMO. The wave folding in Europa is vastly superior and if you must have hardware the microbrute is a better path with more sonic capability. Before you lecture me on the patchbay know that much of the stuff one must patch in on the Mavis is just a knob turn away on the Arturia.

• Information