Remote Mapping in Reason 10

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
freehand

11 Feb 2020

Hi there,

I am editing the remote mappings for my Akai MPK49 and can't seem to add mappings
for newer instruments such as Europa.

The master list of "remotables" provided by Reason Studios doesn't include a lot of the newer
instruments.

When I export the remote map for an instrument from within Reason, copying and pasting
the instrument name and parameters into my mapping file doesn't work. (Interestingly,
it doesn't give me any error messages when I reload the controller in the MIDI config either)

Were there ever any syntax changes in newer versions of Reason?

I've yet to find any comprehensive tutorial on editing Remote mappings and it's getting a little
frustrating. Isn't this a common thing to do? Am I that weird for wanting to select which 16
(of, in some cases, hundreds) parameters I want to control with my keyboard?

I've been to Reasonremoter.uk and it was no help (and seems to be an entirely AI driven website with
no evidence of human users or moderators - even the tutorials are done in a chip voice!)

Reason Studios themselves seem to have all but abandoned Remote - there is almost no information
on their site!

Any help would be appreciated!

Summary:

Reason 10
Windows 7
Akai MPK49 (or anything else)

I am able to edit remote mappings for older instruments, but none since about version 5 (not sure where
cut off is)

Thank you!

honeyBadger

17 Feb 2020

Here are my maps for Europa, Grain,Monotone and Rytmik for Novation Launchkey Mini, hope it helps:

Scope Propellerhead Software se.propellerheads.Europa
// Control Surface Item Key Remotable Item Scale Mode
Map REWIND Select Previous Patch
Map FORWARD Select Next Patch

Map Knob 1 Osc1 Filter Freq
Map Knob 2 Osc1 Filter Reso
Map Knob 3 Osc2 Filter Freq
Map Knob 4 Osc2 Filter Reso
Map Knob 5 Osc3 Filter Freq
Map Knob 6 Osc3 Filter Reso
Map Knob 7 Osc1 Wave
Map Knob 8 Osc2 Wave

Scope Propellerhead Software se.propellerheads.Grain

Define Group Bank Bank1 Bank2

Map Knob 1 Filter Freq
Map Knob 2 Filter Reso
Map Knob 3 Position
Map Knob 4 End Pos
Map Knob 5 Scroll
Map Knob 6 Zoom
Map Knob 7 Speed
Map Knob 8 Jitter

Scope Propellerhead Software se.propellerheads.Monotone

Map Knob 1 Filter Freq
Map Knob 2 Filter Reso
Map Knob 3 Filter Drive
Map Knob 4 Filter Env Amount
Map Knob 5 Osc Mix
Map Knob 6 LFO Rate
Map Knob 7 Chorus Amount
Map Knob 8 Delay Amount

Scope Propellerhead Software se.propellerheads.DMFC

Map Knob 1 Drum_1_Volume
Map Knob 2 Drum_2_Volume
Map Knob 3 Drum_3_Volume
Map Knob 4 Drum_4_Volume
Map Knob 5 Drum_5_Volume
Map Knob 6 Drum_6_Volume
Map Knob 7 Drum_7_Volume
Map Knob 8 Drum_8_Volume
Map Pad 1 Drum_1_Mute
Map Pad 2 Drum_2_Mute
Map Pad 3 Drum_3_Mute
Map Pad 4 Drum_4_Mute
Map Pad 5 Drum_5_Mute
Map Pad 6 Drum_6_Mute
Map Pad 7 Drum_7_Mute
Map Pad 8 Drum_8_Mute
Map Pad 9 Drum_1_Solo
Map Pad 10 Drum_2_Solo
Map Pad 11 Drum_3_Solo
Map Pad 12 Drum_4_Solo
Map Pad 13 Drum_5_Solo
Map Pad 14 Drum_6_Solo
Map Pad 15 Drum_7_Solo
Map Pad 16 Drum_8_Solo

djsmex

01 May 2020

Hi, I'm the guy behind ReasonRemoter, I take your point about my previous tutorial videos, where I used my screen reader to read out the dialogue. This was partly due to not owning any good mics and partly lazy. I setup the site a while ago, in an attempt to get Reason Remote users to share their maps and codecs.
There has been very little changes made to the Reason Remote system, the most recent being the SDK now is GPL. Reason does now offer the remote info export feature from the file menu but note the following:
1. Each device map in the remotemap file starts with a scope line, that consists of the word scope, a tab character, the developer name, another tab character then the device ID. The developer name and device ID are contained in every remote info file under the heading of manufacturer Model.
2. After this scope line are your map lines. These will consist of the word map and a tab character, the control item name, two tab characters then the remote item name. You will find a complete list of remote item names in the remote info file but note only the text before the first tab character in this remote info file is used in your remote map. The other values relate to the min/max values and the input/output types. This extra information is only there as a guide to assist you in deciding what control item should be mapped to which remote item.
There are other features to writing remote maps like using remote map groups, using keyboard keys (c-2/c8 or 0/127), as well as scale and modes. However, I wont get into all of that here. The important thing is to use the correct tabbing, control names, remote item names and scope line with developer and device ID.
If it will help, I can do more remote map tutorials but this time use my own voice instead of my screen reader voice ;)

Also, if it will help, I can publish lists of control item names for the controllers that have codecs shipped with Reason. These control item names are defined in the codec files, which there are two types: midicodec and luacodec. The midicodec format is technically deprecated but remains usable for backwards compatability.
hth, John

sequence

14 Jun 2022

I had the same issue, and removing the entries from the remote map worked... In case someone need to know.

• Information