Latest Roadmap (June 3 2022)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
DJMaytag

13 Jun 2022

deigm wrote:
13 Jun 2022
maybe electronic music in this context just means music made electronically, rather than a reference to the genre.
I would tend to say it’s this. They’re not catering Reason only to EDM or hip-hop.

mimidancer

13 Jun 2022

deigm wrote:
13 Jun 2022
Unrelated to my previous post but i found it interesting that the opening paragraphs of the roadmap, where they're pledging their commitment to reason, were genre specific:

"We are hard at work in making the Reason Rack the one stop shop for creative electronic music making, which means we continue to add new devices that ensure Reason music makers can be in the absolute forefront."

Emphasis mine.

I found this interesting as personally I feel, with synthesis so well and truly covered in the reason sound library, that the last remaining hole is organic sounds. If reason is a rack for electronic music specifically then maybe that hole is by design, and won't be addressed.
Maybe its a surprise to noone that reason leans this way given it's history and plethora of synthesisers, or maybe electronic music in this context just means music made electronically, rather than a reference to the genre.

Just a thought
To be honest there is not much one cannot do with reason. One can be as organic as they like. With all of the samplers included in the rack. Then there is friction it is incredibly expressive. Not to mention if one wants to truly be organic they can record audio tracks of their favorite instruments. I almost always record a bass guitar track. I play violin and guitar sometimes and sampling my marimba and Glock is something I do often. Though I do believe Reason's core developers are electronic music people. Seems like every other day there is a new youtube video on pumping side chain compression. Sometimes I wonder if these guys know you don't have to pump the compressor to make a good track. but hey, do what you like. I absolutely love reason because you can customize it to your needs. It is not always a just plug it in and it works program. But if one takes the time to set it up and save templates it is the best DAW. Mostly because with its plethora of devices Reason has character. Not sure what I am rambling about now. SO be well. Just FYI. I am hoping for a wave sequencing device. Kinda like the Korg Wavestation or WaveState. But another modeling synth could be cool. I would also like something like the DFAM. once more, be well.

DJMaytag

13 Jun 2022

deigm wrote:
13 Jun 2022
I've never had issue with reason before, even with version 12, but 12.2.6 is the buggiest version yet for me.
I wouldn't complain if I knew they were working on it, but now they state that they're done fixing bugs.
Reason is 100% still beta testing and fixing bugs. AFAIK, the only thing I can really say is that I’m using 12.2.7 right now, so… they’re still constantly working on improving Reason.

deigm

13 Jun 2022

DJMaytag wrote:
13 Jun 2022
deigm wrote:
13 Jun 2022
I've never had issue with reason before, even with version 12, but 12.2.6 is the buggiest version yet for me.
I wouldn't complain if I knew they were working on it, but now they state that they're done fixing bugs.
Reason is 100% still beta testing and fixing bugs. AFAIK, the only thing I can really say is that I’m using 12.2.7 right now, so… they’re still constantly working on improving Reason.
I take it you're in the beta then. That's good to hear. I figured they would, I imagine bug squashing is something that never truly stops in the software business. I just worried that if their focus had shifted to vst3/m1 and away from bugs as the roadmap suggests then i might be in for the long haul with these performance issues. Especially now that it seems I'm the minority.

joeyluck

13 Jun 2022

deigm wrote:
13 Jun 2022
DJMaytag wrote:
13 Jun 2022

I take it you're in the beta then. That's good to hear. I figured they would, I imagine bug squashing is something that never truly stops in the software business. I just worried that if their focus had shifted to vst3/m1 and away from bugs as the roadmap suggests then i might be in for the long haul with these performance issues. Especially now that it seems I'm the minority.
If you are experiencing issues that you think others aren't, definitely join the beta! I think everybody should join it :)

deigm

13 Jun 2022

mimidancer wrote:
13 Jun 2022

To be honest there is not much one cannot do with reason. One can be as organic as they like. With all of the samplers included in the rack. Then there is friction it is incredibly expressive. Not to mention if one wants to truly be organic they can record audio tracks of their favorite instruments. I almost always record a bass guitar track. I play violin and guitar sometimes and sampling my marimba and Glock is something I do often. Though I do believe Reason's core developers are electronic music people. Seems like every other day there is a new youtube video on pumping side chain compression. Sometimes I wonder if these guys know you don't have to pump the compressor to make a good track. but hey, do what you like. I absolutely love reason because you can customize it to your needs. It is not always a just plug it in and it works program. But if one takes the time to set it up and save templates it is the best DAW. Mostly because with its plethora of devices Reason has character. Not sure what I am rambling about now. SO be well. Just FYI. I am hoping for a wave sequencing device. Kinda like the Korg Wavestation or WaveState. But another modeling synth could be cool. I would also like something like the DFAM. once more, be well.
Yes, couldn't agree more. The flexibility of reason is why I continue to love it even with a rack full of synths I hardly ever use.
The reason I found that line notable is just that my personal preference for future devices would be more organic devises, like a brass version of friction for example, rather than another synth. I understated that my needs don't necessarily reflect the majorities, I'm just sharing thoughts.
Last edited by deigm on 13 Jun 2022, edited 1 time in total.

deigm

13 Jun 2022

joeyluck wrote:
13 Jun 2022

If you are experiencing issues that you think others aren't, definitely join the beta! I think everybody should join it :)
You know what, I think I will.

Thanks!

DJMaytag

13 Jun 2022

deigm wrote:
13 Jun 2022
Yes, I’ve been beta testing for a while now. I am not sure what all can and can’t be said at this point, so I will only confirm that the beta is ongoing.

QVprod

13 Jun 2022

deigm wrote:
13 Jun 2022
Unrelated to my previous post but i found it interesting that the opening paragraphs of the roadmap, where they're pledging their commitment to reason, were genre specific:

"We are hard at work in making the Reason Rack the one stop shop for creative electronic music making, which means we continue to add new devices that ensure Reason music makers can be in the absolute forefront."

Emphasis mine.

I found this interesting as personally I feel, with synthesis so well and truly covered in the reason sound library, that the last remaining hole is organic sounds. If reason is a rack for electronic music specifically then maybe that hole is by design, and won't be addressed.
Maybe its a surprise to noone that reason leans this way given it's history and plethora of synthesisers, or maybe electronic music in this context just means music made electronically, rather than a reference to the genre.

Just a thought
Agreed it probably just means music made electronically, but I feel you on the lack of organic instruments. VSTs have solved this for me however so I can use Kontakt stuff...etc... Overall though, I think synths are just a naturally more exciting thing to market

Steedus
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2022

I'd consider the majority of music I create as being "electronic music", but I probably use 50-70% organic instruments (whether sampled instruments, 1 shots or loops), so I think it's still open to bringing that stuff in. I mean look at the Sound Iron devices, they've brought in organic stuff before.

Jac459

13 Jun 2022

deigm wrote:
13 Jun 2022
The reason I found that line notable is just that my personal preference for future devices would be more organic devises, like a brass version of friction for example, rather than another synth. I understated that my needs don't necessarily reflect the majorities, I'm just sharing thoughts.
I am so much with you on this one. I am fully into electronic music in what I make and listen to but adding organic instruments when they are so realistic like Friktion is a pure joy.

And yes, a brass section would be fun.
Owning all major synths of the RE platform I don't feel a need for more except kick ass physical modeling synth like they did with Friktion.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

MuttReason

15 Jun 2022

deigm wrote:
13 Jun 2022
chimp_spanner wrote:
13 Jun 2022

Damn man that really sucks. I don't say this in a 'well I don't have any problems' kinda way but this has been the most stable it's been for me in ages. Which I think highlights the disparity in performance between systems. I can only imagine how hard it is to code for all possible situations and configurations. Hope they find an answer for you soon!
Yeah I get that. That was me throughout the previous versions of 12. There are so many variables, the complexity must be insane. It's certainly beyond me how they pull off what is essentially audio software magic. So I don't like to complain. Not withstanding the blue screen today, I spent the whole weekend making beats and having a great time. I remain a big fan.

I'm just reacting to that line about having fixed all the bugs already is all. Probably shouldn't have said anything and just started a ticket.
That's pretty annoying - sorry about that. What's strange is I tried one of the early builds of R12 after launch, used it mostly as a DAW rather than RRP plugin and absolutely hated it - a bug-strewn mess - and walked away. I've just recently decided to take the plunge again with the latest build and.... it's pretty close to perfect. Super stable, huge fun, and basically back to the old Reason I remember from v1 days onwards.

But.... there's a catch (perhaps... but worth mentioning because it's a big catch). I made the decision to disable VSTs in R12 as soon as I installed it this time round. As in... I deselected the two VST folder tickboxes in Preferences and I now run Reason retro-style with just the built-in devices and REs (both RS REs and third-party REs) only.

Back in the olden days when the Props said they wouldn't support VSTs because stock devices + REs was a secure and stable sandbox that introducing third-party VSTs would destabilise, they got a lot of heat from the community... and they eventually relented. But maybe there is still something deep in the code of Reason that even today means that reluctance on the part of the Props years ago was well-founded?

Either way, I just had a hunch was that R12 was going to be that much more stable without VSTs in the mix. In any case, I really like the RE format in the Rack... plus TBH I have SO many sound design choices now between Reason built-in devices and REs that I found that adding VSTs on top just tipped me over into option paralysis mode anyway. That's a personal perspective only of course, I realise that for many people there will be 'must have' VSTs, and doing what I've done isn't an option.

Net effect is that I don't use VSTs but - with this latest build - what I do have is a version of Reason that's truly a pleasure to use and has had literally zero crashes, bugs and glitches from the moment I installed it after the current build was released. This is on two different computers BTW, an iMac Pro running Big Sur and a MacBook Pro running Monterey (both are Intel not M1/M2).

All of this may be a coincidence. This isn't exactly scientific analysis, to be clear... I've not re-enabled VSTs then seen what I have to do to break Reason. But FWIW when I first used R12 soon after launch, I had VSTs enabled from the get go. Now I don't... and it all works great.

jjpscott01

16 Jun 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
13 Jun 2022
deigm wrote:
13 Jun 2022
Reason Studios say: "Having fixed the issues in Reason 12..."

This part bothers me.

I've been with reason 12 since launch and was one of the lucky ones I guess because I didn't really see any performance issues. The hi-res graphics were inconsistent but that didn't concern me, because I don't care much if some knobs are blurry, especially when I know they're already working on it.
Performance wise however, everything was fine.

That is until 12.2.6.

Now projects randomly spike on the DSP meter and start to choke/crack/pop.
If I pause it and give it a minute it seems to fix itself, but my PC is pretty high end and this never happened before.

What's worse, is the other day I launched reason as I always do and it seemed to be launching for the first time. It rescanned VST's, reset the theme and default project, and the rest of the settings. I had to go in and reset all my preferences.
Strange but ok.

Worse still though, today on the mixer page, I dragged one channel over to be next to another one, and this resulted in a blue screen of death. Lost all of my work from the last half-hour. No VST's in the project.

Guess it's time to submit a ticket.
Damn man that really sucks. I don't say this in a 'well I don't have any problems' kinda way but this has been the most stable it's been for me in ages. Which I think highlights the disparity in performance between systems. I can only imagine how hard it is to code for all possible situations and configurations. Hope they find an answer for you soon!
Same here. This version of 12 is the most stable version I've used since release date. Its actually running as smooth as it ever has for me. I'm on windows 10 pro for what's its worth and using a Ryzen 5 processor. I hope you can get this sorted as im sure that's super frustrating. Definitely shoot them a ticket so they know some people are still having issues.
| REASON 12 | BITWIG 4 | SAMPLITUDE PRO X5 | BALANCE | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

Kilsane

17 Jun 2022

Hello,
In the Roadmap for me in June it says "We will release one more player before summer" summer is June 21, but no news since, it's easy until Monday

steff3

17 Jun 2022

So, where is CLAP on their roadmap. IMHO, that would make much more sense than VST3 technically.

deigm

18 Jun 2022

steff3 wrote:
17 Jun 2022
So, where is CLAP on their roadmap. IMHO, that would make much more sense than VST3 technically.
What is CLAP?

moneykube

18 Jun 2022

interesting ... thanks for the link !
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

moneykube

18 Jun 2022

ok now looking from the fence with the latest offer... I have all the racks but mimic, and combinator 2 looks awesome... what are the major bugs with apple using intel chips ( not M1)? Running 11 suite is solid !
Please sell me on the improvements before 21/06/2022 CET ! Like before, I could run two version 11 and 12 for it's befits I imagine? I use 10 and 11 currently.

crimsonwarlock

18 Jun 2022

moneykube wrote:
18 Jun 2022
I have all the racks but mimic, and combinator 2 looks awesome...
I think many people overlook the real value of combinator 2: all the great combinator 2 patches that are being built by the community and given for free. I made a few myself, but picked up several beauties from others as well.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

moneykube

18 Jun 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 Jun 2022
moneykube wrote:
18 Jun 2022
I have all the racks but mimic, and combinator 2 looks awesome...
I think many people overlook the real value of combinator 2: all the great combinator 2 patches that are being built by the community and given for free. I made a few myself, but picked up several beauties from others as well.
they all certainly look tasty... I have be checking out all of them as they come out and many I have seen have me highly interested... they look and sound great... thank for that response. :exclamation: edging closer to GAS :oops:

huggermugger

18 Jun 2022

steff3 wrote:
17 Jun 2022
Wouldn't make any sense at all unless the major developers adopt it.

PONO anyone? Betamax anyone? Firewire anyone?

DJMaytag

18 Jun 2022

NGL, it would make a lot of sense to not be tied to the whims of Steinberg. A lot of the current upheaval in the plug-in industry is due to Steinberg pushing to phase out VST2.

Creativemind

18 Jun 2022

DaveyG wrote:
03 Jun 2022
Chord player sounds interesting. Players are almost the only reason I still Reason. Almost.
Will it be free for Reason 12 (not + as that's a given) owners though, that is the question.

Also wondering why they didn't just advance Scales & Chords or will this be Scales & Chords 2 or a completely new device I wonder.
Last edited by Creativemind on 18 Jun 2022, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

18 Jun 2022

stratatonic wrote:
03 Jun 2022
Loque wrote:
03 Jun 2022

What was promised?
Nothing specific. Just enhancements.
Yes. They did promise but never stated anything specific. Looks like R13 it is.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information