Which Rack Extensions have you recently bought and why?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
moofi

31 May 2022

I recommend checking out ES´ Dub Preamp, what a beast.
Steedus wrote:
31 May 2022
Robotic Bean:
Sequences

Ekssperimental Sounds:
SADIST
Filter Chain X8187
PTF + ES Bundle
— Tapefunk M10
— PTF60 Digital Reverb
— Spring FX3180
— SpaceXpander Spring Reverb (already had this one)

On the PTF60, it took a bit to click, but this is great for general use. Just a touch here and there really comes through. This is an extremely in your face verb. Sometimes I wish it had a built in filter to tame the high end (in addition to the Treble contour but anyway).

For some comparison, I noticed the Orchestral Hall Reverb by Red Rock Studios looked like it might be based off a similar reverb unit (albeit the Hall settings instead of plate and room) so I decided to try it at the same time.

It was immediately clear that there is a lot of stuff happening in the PTF60 in addition to the IR’s. The effect just jumps out at you. No shade on Red Rocks here, but by comparison, the Hall Reverb didn’t seem to have much oomph behind it. I also noticed that the input gain on the Hall Reverb affects the sound even in bypass, so A/B-ing effects required having to pull the input gain down when I wanted to bypass it otherwise it sits there boosting the level. I’m sure that must be a bug .. I’ll report it.

Oddly due to the way the Rewards store works during sales, I’m having to wait to pick up Amalgam, and Bass Line Generator but those are also on my shopping list.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 May 2022

moofi wrote:
31 May 2022
Steedus wrote:
31 May 2022
Robotic Bean:
Sequences

Ekssperimental Sounds:
SADIST
Filter Chain X8187
PTF + ES Bundle
— Tapefunk M10
— PTF60 Digital Reverb
— Spring FX3180
— SpaceXpander Spring Reverb (already had this one)

On the PTF60, it took a bit to click, but this is great for general use. Just a touch here and there really comes through. This is an extremely in your face verb. Sometimes I wish it had a built in filter to tame the high end (in addition to the Treble contour but anyway).

For some comparison, I noticed the Orchestral Hall Reverb by Red Rock Studios looked like it might be based off a similar reverb unit (albeit the Hall settings instead of plate and room) so I decided to try it at the same time.

It was immediately clear that there is a lot of stuff happening in the PTF60 in addition to the IR’s. The effect just jumps out at you. No shade on Red Rocks here, but by comparison, the Hall Reverb didn’t seem to have much oomph behind it. I also noticed that the input gain on the Hall Reverb affects the sound even in bypass, so A/B-ing effects required having to pull the input gain down when I wanted to bypass it otherwise it sits there boosting the level. I’m sure that must be a bug .. I’ll report it.

Oddly due to the way the Rewards store works during sales, I’m having to wait to pick up Amalgam, and Bass Line Generator but those are also on my shopping list.
Yeah. I love that one.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jac459

31 May 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 May 2022

I didn't say the VK-2 presets are 'meh', just that I didn't buy VK-2 for those. However, there are some beautiful Vangelis-like leads and pads in there, if that is your thing (it is mine, among other things). The VK-2 presets have more character to me than the Predator presets, as the VK-2 filter sounds absolutely superior to me.
This year is the good year to create a vangelis tribute track unfortunately.
But indeed it is not my main cup of tea, that may explain...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Steedus
Competition Winner

31 May 2022

moofi wrote:
31 May 2022
Yep I’ve got it. Actually love just using it to spice up drums (ie just run stuff straight through it with some saturation)

Btw I swear the switch on the different tape models in Tapefunk is a troll haha. Must be so subtle, I can’t hear the difference.

Jac459

04 Jun 2022

Just bought the obsession... I told myself no more GAS, especially analogs as I have already a lot but... I started to listen to the patches and play the features and then... I was already caught. This obsession is crazy good, Synapse is really an awesome dev...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

LongFist

04 Jun 2022

Birthday month, so I had a little extra spending money NOT directly bound to a project:
  • Infuser - Selig (I had trialed it but couldn't afford it at the time. Found it on sale, grabbed it!)
  • Palette Colorizer - Red Rock Sound (Had always been curious, and now I know!)
  • Aquios X4 Workstation ROM - DNA Labs (Trialed it before, wanted it, now I have it!)
  • Helium Quad Evolving Synthesizer - DNA Labs (Was curious, had the cash, hadda' get it!)
  • Republik Handheld Percussion - Jiggery Pokery (Was curious, then AMAZED! So very underrated!!!)
...and I think that covers it. Each one had a different incentive, a different motivation if you will, none of which was attached to a musical project, which is my usual consideration when purchasing REs and such. (Like I also just finished out my wishlist of Waves products - quite a gas! I now have quite a spread of utilities for working with vocals - a new experience for me, but very necessary ever since I finished Ryan Tedder's music development class. I guess you could say that I just added my voice to my Reason Rack. Hmmm.)

Even though I don't make enough money to live on from music (it's just not the channel I serve) I do like the music to buy its own "power adders" and "force multiplyers" which it it has so far. The books balance, with a little profit at the end. And if I don't need to buy anything to complete the project, quite a bit more profit in at the end. But to buy REs and VSTs (Waves stuffage) just "because I want to" is a rare event. My, but the things that I have learned!!!
:rebirth: 2.0.1 :recycle: 2.2 :reload: 1.0 :record: 1.0 :reason: 11 Suite :reason:+ ________ :arrow: Love the entire product line!

challism

04 Jun 2022

I was lucky enough to pick up the Mix & Master Rig 4 Update before it was pulled from the shop - Why did I buy it? Because $79 for 11 devices is a no-brainer. Some decent stuff in this upgrade: ModularRE, Mulitband Comp, FET, Kratos and Transient Shaper are my favorites in this bundle ($79 was well worth it just for those 5).
Mix & Master Rig 4 Update
Kilohearts Disperser - I was actually on the fence about this device, but look at it as a bonus because of the other devices I got. I've since found some times where I apply Disperser and it is amazing. So it's great at times and pretty meh at other times.
Kilohearts Gate - haven't spent much time with it yet... maybe it's great, no idea yet
Kilohearts Filter - another filter, doesn't seem like anything special, really. I've got loads of filters and this one is pretty meh in comparison.
Kilohearts Reverb - another reverb. not too excited about this one compared to some of the reverb I already have. This one is pretty meh.
Kilohearts Transient Shaper - I love it! Super awesome sauce right here!
Kilohearts Fatuator - beyond meh... this one is 100% yuck!~ I think it sounds terrible. Probably won't ever use it. I never trialed it. I heard people saying it was not good. Now I understand what they were talking about. I don't understand the ridiculous price tag on this RE. EDIT: Just realized the Stereo Turbo knob is pretty awesome. It's basically the distortion of this thing that I can't stand. I'll probably use the Stereo Turbo knob and the color knob (color knob seems to basically be a filter.. nice wah wah effect if I move the knob back and forth). They both sound pretty nice... still don't think this device is worth the asking price, but I'm glad to have it as part of the bundle.. why not.
Kuassa Kratos2 - awesome sauce!
LabeOne Black Knight - new GUI is a huge improvement
Red Rock Sound ModularRE - nice to finally have this one, been wanting it
Red Rock Sound Multiband Compressor - nice device
Softube FET Compressor- everybody loves it

May Madness Sale
Retouch Control NoteMix Player Why? I'm honestly not sure if I will use this very much. I've finally figured out how to use it. I might come in handy. It's one of the last players that I didn't have in my rack, so I got it for $9 on sale. I can see how it could be inspiring and creative. I'll probably find some good uses for it in the future. I'm glad to have it in my rack. Now I've got all the players in the shop, other than the Retouch Grid64 players, which I don't have the matching hardware for (so I think they are unusable for me?)
Retouch Control CV Morpher - Why? Because I'm a CV junky and this adds something interesting.
Retouch Control NoteRepeat - Why? I'm a Player junky. This player is awesome. I can't believe I didn't have it in my rack or wasn't really aware of its awesomeness. Retouch Control has some amazing players.
Retouch Control Phrase - Why? Another useful player from Retouch Control. I already had ChordSQ and consider this the sister products. Nice to have them both. It will come in useful.
Jiggery Pokery Psyclone - Why? It sounds better than Rotor. I also like the cab simulation this has. I've had my eye on it for a long time. It was worth $9.
Jiggery Pokery Transcendent - Why? No need to ask why, really. This synth is AMAZING! Have you tried it? If you have tried it, I'm going to guess that also bought it. Love it!
Jiggery Pokery JPS Harmonic - Why? I've had my eye on the JP instruments for a long time. This is the JP flagship. Had to grab it for $29. Sounds amazing!
Andrew Russell Double WetDry - Why? GroovyMelon's Dry/Wet is free. Having double dry/wet gives more possibilities... worth $9.
Alienseed Arcus User Knobs - Why? Because I'm a CV junky and this adds something interesting.
Jiggery Pokery Comb B3 - I've been wanting a B3 sound for a long, long time. I finally have it. Thanks for the end of the world sale, JP! Well worth $15. I absolutely love this.
Jiggery Pokery Combo Compact - Why? Probably the instrument that I am least excited about, of my new purchases. I was looking at all the other Combos and decided on this one due mostly to the use by Pink Floyd's Richard Wright. Also because it is compact in the rack and on the hard drive space. I hope I get some use out of it.
Speo Tribute Why? It's a unique and great sounding synth. I've been wanting it since the song competition and since the 2nd beta test. I picked up Speo's filter (Strive) during the last big sale. I figured I would pick up the synth this time. Worth $19.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Jac459

04 Jun 2022

LongFist wrote:
04 Jun 2022
Birthday month, so I had a little extra spending money NOT directly bound to a project:
  • Infuser - Selig (I had trialed it but couldn't afford it at the time. Found it on sale, grabbed it!)
  • Palette Colorizer - Red Rock Sound (Had always been curious, and now I know!)
  • Aquios X4 Workstation ROM - DNA Labs (Trialed it before, wanted it, now I have it!)
  • Helium Quad Evolving Synthesizer - DNA Labs (Was curious, had the cash, hadda' get it!)
  • Republik Handheld Percussion - Jiggery Pokery (Was curious, then AMAZED! So very underrated!!!)
...and I think that covers it. Each one had a different incentive, a different motivation if you will, none of which was attached to a musical project, which is my usual consideration when purchasing REs and such. (Like I also just finished out my wishlist of Waves products - quite a gas! I now have quite a spread of utilities for working with vocals - a new experience for me, but very necessary ever since I finished Ryan Tedder's music development class. I guess you could say that I just added my voice to my Reason Rack. Hmmm.)

Even though I don't make enough money to live on from music (it's just not the channel I serve) I do like the music to buy its own "power adders" and "force multiplyers" which it it has so far. The books balance, with a little profit at the end. And if I don't need to buy anything to complete the project, quite a bit more profit in at the end. But to buy REs and VSTs (Waves stuffage) just "because I want to" is a rare event. My, but the things that I have learned!!!
I admire your resistance... Put me to shame...
One thing is for sure, I don't have more talent after spending a lot in these may sales than before 🙈
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

moofi

04 Jun 2022

Red Rock´s Re173 Preamp&EQ, British Equaliser B. Both very pleasant devices. Got 10 EQ from Redrock now (including free Re 302).
Loving RR´s EQ. American + British series are simply great as is the Pultec.
Especially on sale very affordable for their given quality.

Jac459

11 Jun 2022

Finally could buy "zero" from Blamsoft and really loving it.
Reason support has been extremely helpful in allowing me to use reward points here (normally not possible but I paid previously the Expanse full price without using the rewards so they made an exception).
I must say I am very impressed on their reactivity and efficiency.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

strangers
Competition Winner

16 Jun 2022

The reward section hasn't had much action lately so I figured no reason to continue saving my points. I went ahead and used them to get Friktion for free. I'm having a ton of fun dialing in weird sounds that this thing probably wasn't intended for. Reason did a great job on this RE.

moofi

16 Jun 2022

Just got Chris Griffin´s Suitecase 73. One for its impressing soundquality and second for an outro of a video I´m working on.

Jac459

16 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
16 Jun 2022
Just got Chris Griffin´s Suitecase 73. One for its impressing soundquality and second for an outro of a video I´m working on.
I am still trying to resist this one after a bit too much may madness... But it is damn tempting...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

moofi

16 Jun 2022

I was hesitating aswell, then I simply trialed it :-D
Jac459 wrote:
16 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
16 Jun 2022
I am still trying to resist this one after a bit too much may madness... But it is damn tempting...

Jac459

16 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
16 Jun 2022
Trialing is veeery dangerous.... 🤣🤣🤣

Should be prohibited by law 😝
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

dvdrtldg

17 Jun 2022

Jac459 wrote:
16 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
16 Jun 2022

I find that trialling REs usually makes me less inclined to buy them, or at least to wait for a sale

Jac459

18 Jun 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
17 Jun 2022
Jac459 wrote:
16 Jun 2022

I find that trialling REs usually makes me less inclined to buy them, or at least to wait for a sale
It is because I stopped using reason / making music for very long time so now I am kind of discovering 'no brainer' RE.

Obsession : one chord play : instant buy.
Antidote : 3 presets used, instant buy.
Expanse: instant buy,
And so on...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

DJMaytag

18 Jun 2022

I have no patience for trialling, as I always seem unable to test things enough during a free trial period. I use the $9/mo subscription for testing out a bunch of stuff at once, and regularly switch up what I’m subscribing to.

moofi

18 Jun 2022

In this case I was already impressed by the demovideo, when I actually laid hands on it by trialing it I was pleased even more so. Like said the soundquality of the Rhodes and the effects is simply brilliant.
dvdrtldg wrote:
17 Jun 2022
Jac459 wrote:
16 Jun 2022

WOO

18 Jun 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
17 Jun 2022
Jac459 wrote:
16 Jun 2022

My feelings as well.

challism

19 Jun 2022

Jac459 wrote:
16 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
16 Jun 2022

It's probably prohibited by wife in many jurisdictions.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Jac459

20 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
19 Jun 2022
It's probably prohibited by wife in many jurisdictions.
Lol!
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

moofi

06 Jul 2022

Tonicmint "Negate", quite handy for melody variations/inspirations/experimentations.

dakta

07 Jul 2022

Bought the skrock Morning star synth at the start of the week, seemed like my kinda thing and it's been grand

mjxl

09 Jul 2022

Chord Sequencer, because it was 4 bucks.. lol

• Information