New Rhodes Suitcase73 RE by Chris Griffin

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Ottostrom

06 Jun 2022

deigm wrote:
06 Jun 2022
challism wrote:
31 May 2022

I love the Electro Mechanical refill as well. It's a great collection of sounds. In the product description of this E. Piano, Chris says of that refill, "it’s now part of the Reason Factory Soundset (you have these!)."

I didn't know they added all those samples to the Factory Soundbank. Nice!
What exactly am I looking for in the factory sound bank? A search for 'Electro Mechanical' yields nothing..?
That's because it is integrated into the factory soundbank and not a separate folder.
If you go to the "all instruments" combinator folder and look through some of the patches for electric piano you fill find them (in combination with others not from that refill).

deigm

06 Jun 2022

Ottostrom wrote:
06 Jun 2022
deigm wrote:
06 Jun 2022

What exactly am I looking for in the factory sound bank? A search for 'Electro Mechanical' yields nothing..?
That's because it is integrated into the factory soundbank and not a separate folder.
If you go to the "all instruments" combinator folder and look through some of the patches for electric piano you fill find them (in combination with others not from that refill).
Right, thanks!

moofi

06 Jun 2022

The sounds I hear in the demovideo sound pretty good. Haven´t trialed it yet, then even not being a keys player in that sense, I can see it being pretty funky, especially with the built-in granular engine.

challism

06 Jun 2022

deigm wrote:
06 Jun 2022
challism wrote:
31 May 2022

I love the Electro Mechanical refill as well. It's a great collection of sounds. In the product description of this E. Piano, Chris says of that refill, "it’s now part of the Reason Factory Soundset (you have these!)."

Yeah, they appear to have been absorbed into the "Reason Sounds" soundbank; I think they took all the patches and just put them into categories. So you kind of need to know what you are looking for, in a way, otherwise finding any ElectroMechanical patches is pretty much luck of the draw. I've found some patches in "Keys & Chords/Misc Keys". I'm sure more patches are scattered elsewhere in the soundbank(s).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

QVprod

06 Jun 2022

deigm wrote:
06 Jun 2022
challism wrote:
31 May 2022

You won't find the refill itself, just the sounds from it. If you're familiar with the patch names you'll recognize them in the Electric Piano folder folder. Early 80s, tubed Rhodes...etc...

joeyluck

06 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
06 Jun 2022
deigm wrote:
06 Jun 2022

Yeah, they appear to have been absorbed into the "Reason Sounds" soundbank; I think they took all the patches and just put them into categories. So you kind of need to know what you are looking for, in a way, otherwise finding any ElectroMechanical patches is pretty much luck of the draw. I've found some patches in "Keys & Chords/Misc Keys". I'm sure more patches are scattered elsewhere in the soundbank(s).
I still use the ReFill since I still have it installed and past projects use it.

Maybe we can create a favorites list for the Electro Mechanical patches in the FSB like we did for the new Combinator patches.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2022

joeyluck wrote:
06 Jun 2022
challism wrote:
06 Jun 2022

I still use the ReFill since I still have it installed and past projects use it.

Maybe we can create a favorites list for the Electro Mechanical patches in the FSB like we did for the new Combinator patches.
I’ve got two electromechanical refills. One of them unsurprisingly enough is called Electromechanical 2. Anyone know the difference?

My Jazzmaster is awesome.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

06 Jun 2022

joeyluck wrote:
06 Jun 2022

Yeah, I still use the refill too. It's one of my favorite refills. Good idea to create a favorites list.
MrFigg wrote:
06 Jun 2022
Anyone know the difference?
I'm curious about ElectorMechanical2. Where did you pick that up from? Who made it? Does it have any info on the splash?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
06 Jun 2022
joeyluck wrote:
06 Jun 2022

Yeah, I still use the refill too. It's one of my favorite refills. Good idea to create a favorites list.
MrFigg wrote:
06 Jun 2022
I'm curious about ElectorMechanical2. Where did you pick that up from? Who made it? Does it have any info on the splash?
I’ll take a look when I get home from work tomorrow.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

moofi

06 Jun 2022

Just sampled the last theme John Griffin played in that video because I liked the "riff". I put Red Rock´s Re3Q afterwards and cranked up it´s preamp.
Pleasant distortion on the Rhodes. Afterwards I filtered out the upper end with Forgotten Klang´s Trimmer. The second 7 bars introduce EKS Tape Echo with Chorus + Spring reverb rolled in:
S73 + RR Re3Q.mp3
(603.06 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
06 Jun 2022
joeyluck wrote:
06 Jun 2022

MrFigg wrote:
06 Jun 2022
Right...checked. The folder I've got marked as Electromechanical contains 3 sub folders each containing combinator patches:
1.Clavinet: 1970s Wah Clav, Cincinatti Clavinet, Clean Room Clav
2. Electric Pianos: 1973 Wurly, Memphis Wurly, Motown Rhodes, StarDay King Rhodes
3. Organs: Cincinatti FullBars, Memphis Hammond, Stereo Lowbars.

(Edit: Right, worked it out...this folder was a free addon to the Soul School refill in the refill Reason Soul Keys.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/press/130 ... ll-library )

ElectroMechanical 2 contains a refill containing 9 folders:
1. Demo Songs
2. 50s Wurlitzer
3. 80s Rhodes MkII
3. Hammond Model A
4. Hohner Clavinet D6
5. Hohner Pianet T
6. Tubed Rhodes Mk I
7. Wurlitzer EP200
8. Xtra Patches

Here's the press release for Electromechanical 1.0
https://www.reasonstudios.com/press/24- ... cal-refill

Here also is a link to an announcement about Electromechanical 2.0
https://www.reasonstudios.com/press/34- ... -20-refill

Additionally I have two other folders: "Matt's 8 layer Suitcase Rhodes" and The Electro Jazz Funk Retro Thing" both of which I believe came from the free downloads page on the old Props site.

To be honest I have no idea. They've been on my hard drive since the PUF.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MuttReason

07 Jun 2022

MrFigg wrote:
07 Jun 2022
challism wrote:
06 Jun 2022

Right...checked. The folder I've got marked as Electromechanical contains 3 sub folders each containing combinator patches:
1.Clavinet: 1970s Wah Clav, Cincinatti Clavinet, Clean Room Clav
2. Electric Pianos: 1973 Wurly, Memphis Wurly, Motown Rhodes, StarDay King Rhodes
3. Organs: Cincinatti FullBars, Memphis Hammond, Stereo Lowbars.

(Edit: Right, worked it out...this folder was a free addon to the Soul School refill in the refill Reason Soul Keys.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/press/130 ... ll-library )

ElectroMechanical 2 contains a refill containing 9 folders:
1. Demo Songs
2. 50s Wurlitzer
3. 80s Rhodes MkII
3. Hammond Model A
4. Hohner Clavinet D6
5. Hohner Pianet T
6. Tubed Rhodes Mk I
7. Wurlitzer EP200
8. Xtra Patches

Here's the press release for Electromechanical 1.0
https://www.reasonstudios.com/press/24- ... cal-refill

Here also is a link to an announcement about Electromechanical 2.0
https://www.reasonstudios.com/press/34- ... -20-refill

Additionally I have two other folders: "Matt's 8 layer Suitcase Rhodes" and The Electro Jazz Funk Retro Thing" both of which I believe came from the free downloads page on the old Props site.

To be honest I have no idea. They've been on my hard drive since the PUF.
Wow.... the "Matt's 8 layer Suitcase Rhodes" Refill was mine. I got a bunch of copyright free Rhodes samples from a CD on Computer Music magazine back in 2004 and laid them out in the NN-XT with full velocity mapping across the keyboard range. I also sent the Refill back to CM mag who then included it in one of their CDs on the front cover. My first and (to date) only ever Refill. I'd forgotten all about that! Confirms that I've been on a quest for the perfect Rhodes in Reason for 18 years :-) And now here we are with the Suitcase73 which - I can confidently state after hours of playing with it now - is honestly the best Rhodes I've ever played that isn't an actual Rhodes. It is a fantastic RE.

Ottostrom

07 Jun 2022

MuttReason wrote:
07 Jun 2022
And now here we are with the Suitcase73 which - I can confidently state after hours of playing with it now - is honestly the best Rhodes I've ever played that isn't an actual Rhodes. It is a fantastic RE.
Agreed. Really love the sound and shaping possibilities :)

challism

07 Jun 2022

Great to hear that you guys thinks it's the best Rhodes.
I'm loving the price. $35 is a great price. And yet... I'm still waiting for a sale! ha ha ha
Basically because i just spent way too much on MM.

challism

07 Jun 2022

Ottostrom wrote:
07 Jun 2022
MuttReason wrote:
07 Jun 2022
And now here we are with the Suitcase73 which - I can confidently state after hours of playing with it now - is honestly the best Rhodes I've ever played that isn't an actual Rhodes. It is a fantastic RE.
I'm loving the price. $35 is a great price. And yet... I'm still waiting for a sale! ha ha ha
MrFigg wrote:
07 Jun 2022
Wow, thanks for the deep dive info on that, MrFigg!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
07 Jun 2022
Ottostrom wrote:
07 Jun 2022

MrFigg wrote:
07 Jun 2022
I’m waiting on a sale too. My JM was not cheap!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

07 Jun 2022

MrFigg wrote:
07 Jun 2022
challism wrote:
07 Jun 2022

You're right, $41 isn't cheap for a JM, but it does look great on you.
JM.JPG
JM.JPG (20.27 KiB) Viewed 84652 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
07 Jun 2022
MrFigg wrote:
07 Jun 2022

You're right, $41 isn't cheap for a JM, but it does look great on you.
JM.JPG
❤️
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

rootwheel

10 Jun 2022

MuttReason wrote:
07 Jun 2022
Wow.... the "Matt's 8 layer Suitcase Rhodes" Refill was mine. I got a bunch of copyright free Rhodes samples from a CD on Computer Music magazine back in 2004 and laid them out in the NN-XT with full velocity mapping across the keyboard range. I also sent the Refill back to CM mag who then included it in one of their CDs on the front cover. My first and (to date) only ever Refill.
Do you still have a copy of your old ReFill and if so can you share it? I've tried searching on the internet for a downloadable version of the file but to no avail. I've heard great things about it so would love to try it myself.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2022

rootwheel wrote:
10 Jun 2022
MuttReason wrote:
07 Jun 2022
Wow.... the "Matt's 8 layer Suitcase Rhodes" Refill was mine. I got a bunch of copyright free Rhodes samples from a CD on Computer Music magazine back in 2004 and laid them out in the NN-XT with full velocity mapping across the keyboard range. I also sent the Refill back to CM mag who then included it in one of their CDs on the front cover. My first and (to date) only ever Refill.
Do you still have a copy of your old ReFill and if so can you share it? I've tried searching on the internet for a downloadable version of the file but to no avail. I've heard great things about it so would love to try it myself.
It’s out there. You’re just incompetent.

❤️
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

10 Jun 2022

Sorry some comments were removed. Sharing files or links to download ReFills from other devs without their permission is not allowed, even if they are/were free, doing so breaks the terms for many of those ReFills regarding distribution. You are of course free to share your own ReFills in the ReFill forum.

MuttReason

10 Jun 2022

rootwheel wrote:
10 Jun 2022
MuttReason wrote:
07 Jun 2022
I still have the Refill but don’t have anywhere to host it for download. I found a site that hosts old Refills including mine and posted a comment here with a link but Joeyluck (mod) removed my post as it broke forum rules (sorry Joeyluck, didn’t realise) about linking to download sites with Refills that other Refill owners (not me!) may not have approved for download.

If you search for the Refill using the full Refill name as the search term you will find the site that hosts it (it’s an old archive of various Refills from over the years, mine included).

If you’re stuck, PM me with an email address and I will send you a WeTransfer link.

One thing I would highlight is that while my Refill was pretty good for its era (I think), the ElectroMechanical Refill that was launched subsequently is (IMO) much better… and Chris Griffith’s Suitcase73 is a whole other level of better. So you’re welcome to have my old Refill but don’t be surprised if it’s a bit… meh… a lot has happened over the last 18 years!

joeyluck

10 Jun 2022

MuttReason wrote:
10 Jun 2022
rootwheel wrote:
10 Jun 2022

I still have the Refill but don’t have anywhere to host it for download. I found a site that hosts old Refills including mine and posted a comment here with a link but Joeyluck (mod) removed my post as it broke forum rules (sorry Joeyluck, didn’t realise) about linking to download sites with Refills that other Refill owners (not me!) may not have approved for download.

If you search for the Refill using the full Refill name as the search term you will find the site that hosts it (it’s an old archive of various Refills from over the years, mine included).

If you’re stuck, PM me with an email address and I will send you a WeTransfer link.

One thing I would highlight is that while my Refill was pretty good for its era (I think), the ElectroMechanical Refill that was launched subsequently is (IMO) much better… and Chris Griffith’s Suitcase73 is a whole other level of better. So you’re welcome to have my old Refill but don’t be surprised if it’s a bit… meh… a lot has happened over the last 18 years!
No worries! And like I said, if you have a ReFill you created, you are more than welcome to share it in the ReFill forum.

joeyluck

11 Jun 2022

So something I'm not understanding is the Vibrato Depth Offset. Unlike the effect offsets, I can't tell if these are doing anything.

I'd like to have the Vibrato not affect the Room signal. But even with Vibrato Offset Room set to the minimum of -100, it sounds the same to me. Is this doing what it should? What should I be hearing?

Also, who else thinks it would be great to do a community ReFill for this? :-)

MuttReason

11 Jun 2022

joeyluck wrote:
11 Jun 2022
So something I'm not understanding is the Vibrato Depth Offset. Unlike the effect offsets, I can't tell if these are doing anything.

I'd like to have the Vibrato not affect the Room signal. But even with Vibrato Offset Room set to the minimum of -100, it sounds the same to me. Is this doing what it should? What should I be hearing?

Also, who else thinks it would be great to do a community ReFill for this? :-)
Haven’t noticed that with vibrato offset, will have a play with it to see what happens. Do you find the same thing happens if you dial the Amp offset up or down as well as the Room offset?

And yes re community Refill - great idea. I’m creating patches already and would be happy to share.

• Information