Abandoned Rack Extensions

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
joeyluck

09 Jun 2022

Reason User:
What REs in the shop are abandoned? I want to avoid them.

Also Reason User:
What REs are being removed from the shop? I want to get them before they're gone.

:D

Shoukz

09 Jun 2022

joeyluck wrote:
09 Jun 2022

The plugins themselves are future proof.

the RE you can't buy anymore aren't futur proof.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2022

Shoukz wrote:
09 Jun 2022
joeyluck wrote:
09 Jun 2022

The plugins themselves are future proof.

They are if you’ve got them.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2022

joeyluck wrote:
09 Jun 2022
Reason User:
What REs in the shop are abandoned? I want to avoid them.

Also Reason User:
What REs are being removed from the shop? I want to get them before they're gone.

:D
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Shoukz

09 Jun 2022

MrFigg wrote:
09 Jun 2022
Shoukz wrote:
09 Jun 2022

how can you share a combinator preset that contain RE users can't bought anymore ?

you can't,

so RE are not futur proof.

end of the discussion.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2022

Shoukz wrote:
09 Jun 2022
MrFigg wrote:
09 Jun 2022

how can you share a combinator preset that contain RE users can't bought anymore ?

you can't,

end of the discussion.
Anyone who has them can share a patch with anyone else who has them. If somebody doesn't have them then why would you want to share a patch with that person? Same as for currently available REs.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

09 Jun 2022

Shoukz wrote:
09 Jun 2022
MrFigg wrote:
09 Jun 2022

you can't,

end of the discussion.
If I make a patch with RE-2A and MrFigg has RE-2A, it will work. RE-2A will always work in Reason. Whether or not you can buy it has nothing to do with it or the format being future proof. If someone got RE-2A and then lost access to it when it was removed from the shop or if it stopped working, then you can say it's not future proof. But that is not the case.

selig
RE Developer

09 Jun 2022

NOTHING is ‘future proof’!
Welcome to the physical universe. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
09 Jun 2022
Welcome to the physical universe. ;)
Atoms
Stardust
We are golden
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

09 Jun 2022

Shoukz wrote:
09 Jun 2022
end of the discussion.
End of the discussion?
What are you on about?
This is a forum. Discussions can last forever, and certainly well beyond the lifespan of the facts. :D

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2022

DaveyG wrote:
09 Jun 2022
Shoukz wrote:
09 Jun 2022
end of the discussion.
End of the discussion?
What are you on about?
This is a forum. Discussions can last forever, and certainly well beyond the lifespan of the facts. :D
Hahahaha. Glad you picked up on that too. :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Shoukz

10 Jun 2022

DaveyG wrote:
09 Jun 2022
Shoukz wrote:
09 Jun 2022
end of the discussion.
End of the discussion?
What are you on about?
it's all about ending a discussion about RE that are not futur proof with peoples who think they are. It's useless and a waste of time.

Shoukz

10 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
09 Jun 2022
yep, especially when they said it will be

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2022

Shoukz wrote:
10 Jun 2022
DaveyG wrote:
09 Jun 2022

End of the discussion?
What are you on about?
it's all about ending a discussion about RE that are not futur proof with peoples who think they are. It's useless and a waste of time.
Why do feel the need to end it? If you think it's a "waste of time" then why participate? Does it mean that much to you?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

rootwheel

10 Jun 2022

joeyluck wrote:
09 Jun 2022
Shoukz wrote:
09 Jun 2022

you can't,

end of the discussion.
If I make a patch with RE-2A and MrFigg has RE-2A, it will work. RE-2A will always work in Reason. Whether or not you can buy it has nothing to do with it or the format being future proof. If someone got RE-2A and then lost access to it when it was removed from the shop or if it stopped working, then you can say it's not future proof. But that is not the case.
I think the point that Shoukz is trying to make here is that it's about the future proof of compatibility. The original premise of REs was that if you made a Reason song featuring Rack Extensions, you could share that song into the future with 100% reliability and if someone wants to gain compatibility they simply buy any of the REs they are missing (with helpful links direct to the RE's shop page for each missing device straight from the rack).

The whole future proofing of this compatibility does fall apart when REs are able to disappear for some but not for others. It's actually worse than what happened to ReFills - at least you could sometimes find a copy of those floating around the internet. With REs you have no way of getting discontinued ones at all.

I could share a song on here featuring some Abbey Road Keyboard patches, along with PX7 and A-List Electric Guitars and then mixed with Pump and RE-2A. Good luck loading the song if you're much newer to Reason than me!!!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2022

rootwheel wrote:
10 Jun 2022
joeyluck wrote:
09 Jun 2022

I think the point that Shoukz is trying to make here is that it's about the future proof of compatibility. The original premise of REs was that if you made a Reason song featuring Rack Extensions, you could share that song into the future with 100% reliability and if someone wants to gain compatibility they simply buy any of the REs they are missing (with helpful links direct to the RE's shop page for each missing device straight from the rack).

The whole future proofing of this compatibility does fall apart when REs are able to disappear for some but not for others. It's actually worse than what happened to ReFills - at least you could sometimes find a copy of those floating around the internet. With REs you have no way of getting discontinued ones at all.

I could share a song on here featuring some Abbey Road Keyboard patches, along with PX7 and A-List Electric Guitars and then mixed with Pump and RE-2A. Good luck loading the song if you're much newer to Reason than me!!!
Backwards compatibility isn’t about sharing songs or patches. It’s about being able to open any song you made in Reason in any future version of Reason. The Line 6 amps fucked that up a bit but they are automatically replaced by the Softube equivalents.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

rootwheel

10 Jun 2022

MrFigg wrote:
10 Jun 2022
rootwheel wrote:
10 Jun 2022

Backwards compatibility isn’t about sharing songs or patches. It’s about being able to open any song you made in Reason in any future version of Reason. The Line 6 amps fucked that up a bit but they are automatically replaced by the Softube equivalents.
I didn't use the phrase backwards compatibility though. I was talking about the future proofing of compatibility, although I agree that the removal of Line 6 did break that a little. I'm sure the original premise of REs was that it was supposed to be a centralised repository; which meant if you shared a song with someone, they would always easily be able to acquire all the devices used in that song if they were missing any.

Even ReFills were originally designed to do that, hence the URL field in the info.txt - the URL for each ReFill also gets saved inside the song file which uses that ReFill. This means upon opening a song which you were missing ReFill content for, all you had to do theoretically was follow the URL displayed for the missing ReFill so you could then acquire it.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2022

rootwheel wrote:
10 Jun 2022
MrFigg wrote:
10 Jun 2022

I didn't use the phrase backwards compatibility though. I was talking about the future proofing of compatibility, although I agree that the removal of Line 6 did break that a little. I'm sure the original premise of REs was that it was supposed to be a centralised repository; which meant if you shared a song with someone, they would always easily be able to acquire all the devices used in that song if they were missing any.

Even ReFills were originally designed to do that, hence the URL field in the info.txt - the URL for each ReFill also gets saved inside the song file which uses that ReFill. This means upon opening a song which you were missing ReFill content for, all you had to do theoretically was follow the URL displayed for the missing ReFill so you could then acquire it.
I’d argue that future proofed compatibility is the same thing as assured backwards compatibility. If the future releases aren’t compatible then that removes backwards compatibility right?
Anyway, they never said anything about other people being guaranteed access to the devices in your song. They said that the devices you bought yourself would always be available on your account for download.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

rootwheel

10 Jun 2022

MrFigg wrote:
10 Jun 2022
rootwheel wrote:
10 Jun 2022

I’d argue that future proofed compatibility is the same thing as assured backwards compatibility. If the future releases aren’t compatible then that removes backwards compatibility right?
Anyway, they never said anything about other people being guaranteed access to the devices in your song. They said that the devices you bought yourself would always be available on your account for download.
It just seems like a real missed opportunity to me. I'm sure it's something where Reason Studios could have done more to prevent licensing issues from depriving future musicians the ability to play with today's sounds and devices; especially if those devices are still stored on the RS servers somewhere. They've managed it in other areas; not a single sample has ever been discontinued out of the FSB since v1.0 of Reason; not a single one! None have ever had to be removed due to licensing issues. Just think about that.
Last edited by rootwheel on 10 Jun 2022, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2022

rootwheel wrote:
10 Jun 2022
MrFigg wrote:
10 Jun 2022

It just seems like a real missed opportunity to me. I'm sure it's something where Reason Studios could have done more to prevent licensing issues from depriving future musicians the ability to play with today's sounds and devices; especially if those devices are still stored on the RS servers somewhere! They've managed it in other areas; not a single sample has ever been discontinued out of the FSB since v1.0 of Reason! Not a single one! None have ever had to be removed due to licensing issues. Just think about that.
Because the factory sound bank is a part of the Reason package. Backwards compatibility.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

rootwheel

10 Jun 2022

MrFigg wrote:
10 Jun 2022
rootwheel wrote:
10 Jun 2022

It just seems like a real missed opportunity to me. I'm sure it's something where Reason Studios could have done more to prevent licensing issues from depriving future musicians the ability to play with today's sounds and devices; especially if those devices are still stored on the RS servers somewhere! They've managed it in other areas; not a single sample has ever been discontinued out of the FSB since v1.0 of Reason! Not a single one! None have ever had to be removed due to licensing issues. Just think about that.
Because the factory sound bank is a part of the Reason package. Backwards compatibility.
The shop is part of the Reason package, tightly integrated into the Reason experience. Reason Studios are the vendor for all of it.

Like I said, it's a missed opportunity for RS to not have retained more control of stuff they're serving and hosting and theoretically never actually deleting. Just denying new users access to. It's an imperfect setup in that respect.

joeyluck

10 Jun 2022

If we're talking about forcing devs to keep their products in the shop forever, I definitely do not support that. Of course devs should have the freedom to manage their products. The future proofing of products is about having the products you have purchased continue to work in future versions of Reason.

DaveyG

10 Jun 2022

Back To The Future... proofing.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2022

I’ve got RE-2A. Bet you wish you had too. Hahahahaha. Future is bright.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2022

Shoukz wrote:
09 Jun 2022

you can't,

end of the discussion.
Why would you want to share a patch with someone who doesn't have one of the plugins? Sounds like an awfully mean thing to do :thumbs_down:

• Information