Selig B3/Leslie MkII Testing

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
selig
RE Developer

07 Jun 2022

Come one, come all, step right up to join in the testing the MkII version of the Selig B3/Leslie Combinator!.
All of the original features are still intact, plus many changes/additions (see below). We are still using only factory devices so anyone with Reason 12 can run this (sorry users of older Reason versions, there was no getting around this one!).

Changes:
•Drawbars now on the front panel! In probably the biggest addition to the MkII version, you now have all drawbars available on the front panel which finally makes this a fully usable interface IMO! Assign the drawbars to your controller's sliders for real time control, and remember that drawbars work opposite of audio faders - all the way down is full volume (8) and all the way up is off (0)
•The main 'tone wheels' now use a different oscillator, allows 'aging' of tone wheels and creating combo organ waveforms (see below).
•All 'hidden' controls moved from internal to the front panel, including Vibrato/Chorus controls (Vibrato added too), Reverb controls, and especially a full Leslie section.
•Leslie: added a few controls and moved others to front panel including Rotor Balance, Bass and Treble Acceleration, On/Off, Distortion type, Tone and Presence, and a "Wider" button to add a bit extra to the panning effect. Also added the pulley selection, which affects the Treble Rotor speeds as with the original hardware.
•Sub drawbar, a non-standard custom mod which covers the bottom octave where the drawbar 1 begins to fold back. Waveform is a filtered saw not affected by the other waveform/filter controls. It can also function like a limited bass pedal control and you could even route it to a separate output if needed. Useful for creating a thunderous low end on the bottom few octaves.

Additional "hidden" controls can be accessed by expanding the panel from 3U to 4U to reveal these controls along the bottom:

Hidden controls include:
•Leslie pulley controls, which are an option on the original Leslie treble rotor to adjust overall speed.
•Waveform (age) which morphs between sine/triangle/square/saw. Settings of between 3-10 add subtle odd harmonic content which can add a bit of edge to the sound.
•Drawbar Filter is a bonus control you probably don't need, but is handy when using square and saw waves. Otherwise the filter at the default setting is providing some additional control over the level of the drawbars as you play higher on the keyboard, and is a part of the Hammond sound that keep the upper ranges sounding mellow and not too bright and strident. This is IMO one of the main reasons that simple sine wave drawbar Combinators don't quite have that Hammond sound!
•Slope button switches to a steeper slope if you want more obvious filtering.
•Percussion section also gets a few bonus controls I always wanted on the original, which include a way to boost the level of the effect or to play it polyphonically! Hammond percussion is traditionally mono (last note) which is a big part of the original sound. But it sure is cool to pull all the drawbars down and just use Percussion, and now you can do it polyphonically if desired!

Would love to hear from folks who are B3 players and non players alike, those who have used the original ReFill and those who have not. When exploring these instruments please ensure all controls work as expected and feature suggestions are of course welcome. I probably won't add all suggestions, especially as you can customize the instrument yourselves due to it being a Combinator creation, but I always appreciate the feedback. I'm also happy to help out with anyone wanting to customize the device, if just to attempt to explain some of the craziness going on inside this monstrosity of a device.

Oh yea, one more thing - I'm also working on the stand-alone Leslie effect, which like the B3 will finally get all of it's useful controls visible on the front panel! As a bonus, I'm also adding the Vibrato/Chorus effect which is not technically a part of the Leslie cabinet but useful as an effect. And same for the reverb, original an option for the B3 but figured it would also be handy on the stand alone Leslie (and you have access to more control here too!).

Grab the files here (and let me know if you have any issues while doing so):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjdk8k1qrq7rt ... I.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfpto9xnn86nu ... s.zip?dl=0

These Combinators are open source so feel free to make modifications and share freely but PLEASE do not offer it for sale under any circumstances! And consider waiting for the official versions to be released before making modifications to be shared, to be sure none of the original features are lacking/missing.
And also please consider sharing any songs featuring this B3/Leslie, I always love to hear what others are doing. :)
Those wishing to contribute financially to the project, please visit the original site hosted by EditEd and if possible make a purchase of the original ReFill (now only $26) as a way to say "thanks"!
https://edited4tv.sellfy.store/p/gt21/
Selig Audio, LLC

challism

07 Jun 2022

Wow! These look amazing. Thank you for sharing. Downloading now (goes without saying, right?).

Edit:
Exciting to watch this baby load

Just got this message upon opening.
missing.JPG
missing.JPG (37.75 KiB) Viewed 17494 times
Sounds INCREDIBLE, GIles! I'm really impressed. :thumbup:
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

motuscott

07 Jun 2022

Sad Reas11 user here. Still we must move on.
Hopefully rich unknown auntie dies leaving it all to me.
I'm old as fuck. Chances of elderly unknown aunt being alive much less leaving fortune to me pretty unlikely.
Fella can dream, kain't he?
Speaking of dreaming, audio punch in?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Billy+

07 Jun 2022

motuscott wrote:
07 Jun 2022
I'm old as fuck. Chances of elderly unknown aunt being alive much less leaving fortune to me pretty unlikely.
Why would you waste your aunties savings on R12? :lol:

This one looks really interesting but as a reason 11 owner who's not interested in paying £199 for the upgrade to a bug ridden beta I guess I'm going to wait until later to test this one.

So long as Reason standalone gets vst midi routing that is ;)

Sorry for the high jack Selig - you do some amazing stuff, keep it up and I'm sure I will be testing it soon
Last edited by Billy+ on 07 Jun 2022, edited 2 times in total.

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2022

I'll need to get a controller with sliders, but this will be lots of fun.

I've been getting back into playing Gospel music, and changing the sliders during play is a key part of the style :)

motuscott

07 Jun 2022

I once saw god during a Medeski Martin and Wood gig watching whichever one of them Ms (I can never remember) was playing organ play the sliders on his B3. What an instrument. What a player!

motuscott

07 Jun 2022

He was running it thru some guitar amp
Cranked

My momma said let it be. Ain't no fixin that shit

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2022

Excellent. I’ll get the kids off to school then get on it. Thanks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2022

Been testing automating stuff on the B3...just a question. Automating the "Vibrato/Chorus On switch" and the "Percussion On Switch" both create an automation lane called "On". Should they be distinguishable from each other? eg: VibCh On and Perc On.
Edit: I noticed that the switch for choosing Vib or Chorus creates an automation lane called Vib/Ch

Also, is there any way to turn down the mechanical noise of the Leslie? Mine sounds as if there something grating in the mechanism....cchhhhhhhh!!!!
Is that maybe because I put the B3 combi through the Leslie combi?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mcatalao
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2022

Selig,

This is a product of love!

A new vacation coming so, I'll try and load this and test it a bit!

Beautiful stuff as usual!

Cheers,
MC

selig
RE Developer

08 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
07 Jun 2022
missing.JPG
Sounds INCREDIBLE, GIles! I'm really impressed. :thumbup:
Oh yea, sorry about that! Those got automatically included in the packed ReFill but I totally forgot about them - they are small, will post shortly when I get back home, thanks for the heads up.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

08 Jun 2022

MrFigg wrote:
08 Jun 2022
Been testing automating stuff on the B3...just a question. Automating the "Vibrato/Chorus On switch" and the "Percussion On Switch" both create an automation lane called "On". Should they be distinguishable from each other? eg: VibCh On and Perc On.
Edit: I noticed that the switch for choosing Vib or Chorus creates an automation lane called Vib/Ch

Also, is there any way to turn down the mechanical noise of the Leslie? Mine sounds as if there something grating in the mechanism....cchhhhhhhh!!!!
I can fix the naming by not using the built in labels, will add it to the list.
You should not add the Leslie to the B3/Leslie, unless you want double Leslie - try it without the stand alone Leslie and see how it sounds…
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

08 Jun 2022

Billy+ wrote:
07 Jun 2022
motuscott wrote:
07 Jun 2022

This one looks really interesting but as a reason 11 owner who's not interested in paying £199 for the upgrade to a bug ridden beta I guess I'm going to wait until later to test this one.

Sorry for the high jack Selig - you do some amazing stuff, keep it up and I'm sure I will be testing it soon
Sorry to hear you experienced so many bugs with R12, hopefully that will be sorted on your machine soon.
For the record, I’ve been sailing along just fine with monthly live streams and constant use of R12 with issues I can count on one hand over the past year - and I’ve been beta testing all this time too. Haven’t lost any data or even been frustrated with R12 like many others have reported, knock on wood.
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
08 Jun 2022
MrFigg wrote:
08 Jun 2022

I can fix the naming by not using the built in labels, will add it to the list.
You should not add the Leslie to the B3/Leslie, unless you want double Leslie - try it without the stand alone Leslie and see how it sounds…
Thanks, Yeah, directly after I wrote that post I put the Leslie on a Rhodes and the noise wasn’t there. Guess stacking Leslies isn’t as joyful as stacking distortion pedals :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

rootwheel

08 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
08 Jun 2022
Billy+ wrote:
07 Jun 2022

Sorry to hear you experienced so many bugs with R12, hopefully that will be sorted on your machine soon.
For the record, I’ve been sailing along just fine with monthly live streams and constant use of R12 with issues I can count on one hand over the past year - and I’ve been beta testing all this time too. Haven’t lost any data or even been frustrated with R12 like many others have reported, knock on wood.
For those of us who aren't on R12, is there any way you can release this new organ as a commercial RE too - or would that be far too much work?

selig
RE Developer

08 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
07 Jun 2022
missing.JPG
Here are the missing files, will post the link at the top of the thread as well:
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

08 Jun 2022

rootwheel wrote:
08 Jun 2022
selig wrote:
08 Jun 2022

For those of us who aren't on R12, is there any way you can release this new organ as a commercial RE too - or would that be far too much work?
I guess I could, but it would have to be built from the ground up, but at least I have all the specific data about levels and rates etc…
BUT - the original is still available! Remember, the sound isn't all that different with this version, very subtle adjustments were made to the tone wheels and the Leslie cabinet EQ to fine tune things that were bothering me on the original. The main changes are to the interface more than anything, and mainly bringing all the 'hidden' controls to the front panel. I only added a few new features fwiw.
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2022

Just wanted to emphasize how good the original refill is. Follow the link and buy the good stuff.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MarkTarlton

08 Jun 2022

This will be fun to check out, but I'm having a heck of a time loading those missing samples. It seems like something is broken. I posted a video. Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/51edz5r99b59x ... s.mp4?dl=0

edit - I replaced them manually in the nnxt, weird that's the only way

selig
RE Developer

08 Jun 2022

MarkTarlton wrote:
08 Jun 2022
This will be fun to check out, but I'm having a heck of a time loading those missing samples. It seems like something is broken. I posted a video. Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/51edz5r99b59x ... s.mp4?dl=0

edit - I replaced them manually in the nnxt, weird that's the only way
That's probably something I should have addressed on my end - wasn't thinking I needed to create a ReFill just to include those two samples, but it's probably the best way forward after testing (if folks don't mind a little manual labor). This will allow me to update the Combinator without needing to re-pack each time.
Selig Audio, LLC

challism

08 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
08 Jun 2022
challism wrote:
07 Jun 2022
missing.JPG
Here are the missing files, will post the link at the top of the thread as well:
Thanks for the files.
selig wrote:
08 Jun 2022
Billy+ wrote:
07 Jun 2022
Same for me. I've found a few bugs/issues, but nothing major. Even the R12 beta has been quite usable for me. RS have been regularly and steadily fixing the bugs (and doing a nice job of it, if I may say so).

Hopefully R13 will be up to your standards, Billy. And you can finally enjoy Combi2 patches (and possibly update your avatar).

mcatalao
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
08 Jun 2022

Yep, this has been my experience too, though I haven't been as active this year as others. That being said, I've been producing an a-capela in reason where the client had a version in a key, wants it redone 3 half tones down, i tweak the pitch on every channel, calc in secs, and we're sailing recording over the previous project 2 tones down. Between old tracks, new tracks, doubles, takes and retakes, comp's and so on, we're at 45 tracks and counting, not an issue in a 2014 I7 4790k (in the last version). Yesterday, new singer feels the song is too low for him. Saved a new version, brang project back to old pitch, calc in secs, recorded, repitched, voilá, everything working again and you barely notice the tracks that we had to "re-re-pitch".

challism

08 Jun 2022

I would suggest renaming the Vib/Ch, 2nd/3rd and Spring/Plate buttons just to eliminate confusion of what pressing the button does.
suggest.JPG
suggest.JPG (27.61 KiB) Viewed 17183 times
Suggest2.JPG
Suggest2.JPG (25.62 KiB) Viewed 17183 times

BTW, I just put JP B3T Combo next to Selig B3 in my rack (for comparison's sake). I can't decide which one sounds better.. but they sound awesome together! One panned 40, the other panned -40.. awesome!
awesome.png
awesome.png (925.85 KiB) Viewed 17182 times

selig
RE Developer

08 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
08 Jun 2022
I would suggest renaming the Vib/Ch, 2nd/3rd and Spring/Plate buttons just to eliminate confusion of what pressing the button does.

suggest.JPGSuggest2.JPG

BTW, I just put JP B3T Combo next to Selig B3 in my rack (for comparison's sake). I can't decide which one sounds better.. but they sound awesome together! One panned 40, the other panned -40.. awesome!

awesome.png
The thing is, you would never use a toggle button to choose between two different features such as I’m doing here. It would be some sort of popup or menu (radio buttons) or stepped knob or even a toggle switch. But for whatever reasons, we don’t have any of those with the current implementation. I can think of one solution that may make sense, will add it to the list!
Selig Audio, LLC

challism

08 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
08 Jun 2022
challism wrote:
08 Jun 2022

suggest.JPGSuggest2.JPG

awesome.png
The thing is, you would never use a toggle button to choose between two different features such as I’m doing here. It would be some sort of popup or menu (radio buttons) or stepped knob or even a toggle switch. But for whatever reasons, we don’t have any of those with the current implementation. I can think of one solution that may make sense, will add it to the list!
Let's hope they give us some more Combi options in the (near) future. Hell, even the distant future would be OK. Just so long as the Combi isn't abandoned from future upgrade attention.

• Information