Latest Roadmap (June 3 2022)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Heater

06 Jun 2022

They have to be some of the slowest devs.

crimsonwarlock

06 Jun 2022

Heater wrote:
06 Jun 2022
They have to be some of the slowest devs.
The Sagrada Familia is still not finished after 140 years. Software is multitudes more complex than buildings, so on that scale I'd say the Reason devs are still lightning fast :lol:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

geronimo

06 Jun 2022

At home, I find M1 compatibility more important than VST 3 format _

jam-s

06 Jun 2022

geronimo wrote:
06 Jun 2022
On the other hand PC users couldn't care less for M1/M2/M-whatever support.

DJMaytag

06 Jun 2022

geronimo wrote:
06 Jun 2022
I can't think of a single VST3-only plugin that I have to that I want. I might be in the minority here.

Zerosity

06 Jun 2022

A chord progression player? Shouldn't that just be an update to the sequencer with a chord track? But then I guess they can't wrap it in pretty graphics and charge $69 for it that way.

I've typically been a user with a very optimistic view of Reason and it's direction, but these past few years, since the acquisition, have changed my opinion.

Oh well, there's enough RS bashing already, so I'll just go back to my lurker mode and hope for the best.

plaamook

06 Jun 2022

Sorry to bring this up again but it actually got their attention in the past on such threads.

I’m glad they’re feeling happy W R12 but I’d really still like them to fix the mimic bug with handling large files.
It’s absurd that they’ve got such a glaringly obvious bug in a shiny new device that is still being ignored even after repeated correspondence w them over it that usually just trails off to....to nowhere....

I hope I’m missing something but I keep reading statements and release notes and it’s never mentioned. I didn’t even bother w the last update on account.

Otherwise I’m glad to see it coming together in other areas. Etc.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Re8et
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2022

geronimo wrote:
06 Jun 2022
Same, but that it keeps running on my i3 win 10 laptop is still more important....
NI has also M1 native support roadmap on its entire catalogue in mind (Reaktor...?)
that will take ages... if it's even possible at all for programs like Reaktor old ensembles...
M2 will come out way before any of them will do the leap...

hamsterfactor

07 Jun 2022

aaand M2 is shipping soon. :D

what kills me is that i‘ll have to shell out for another update to get VST3.
Re8et wrote:
07 Jun 2022
geronimo wrote:
06 Jun 2022
[...]
M2 will come out way before any of them will do the leap...
:reason: Suite 11  |  :reason: 12 perpetual license  |  :re::refill: |  macOS Ventura  |  Mac Studio M1 Max

Arpeg
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2022

Wow, M2 on the way and no sight of M1 or VST3, nothing to go on visually. I suppose £109 for my update to R12 wasn't too bad, and apart from the new Combinator 2 which is great, I don't use Mimic and the experience of R12 has not been good.

Reason Studios, STOP making NEW devices for the mean time that I am not much interested in but now I slightly am because you mention it in your roadmap! From your original roadmap the smart browser is only starting to be smart from the latest update. VST3 and M1 are now predicted a year later than the original roadmap and way behind competitors. You were supposed to give us more features for the new Combi, we got more switches!? Better off peeing in someone's letterbox and being arrested, for the thrills! Has Hi-res been completed? Last I checked (before the latest update), Both Umpf's and Layers Wave were not hi res.

Tweaking the old devices/instruments would see a high approval from Reason owners (standalone / R12+ / RRP).

Reading up on VST3, it seems there are high benefits to be had with CPU regarding allocation of plugins which apparently, Reaper, sorts out automatically. Also, VST3 plugins do not run when they're not in use, this sounds great, and *Resizable GUI - 'oh, goodbye reason 12 vst2 land'
The way MIDI is handled seems far greater, too.

Love Reason Studios but R12 has been/is so strange. New owners, subscription, agendas not completed in predicted time. Seems a lil' messy I suppose, yet, I have faith with the crew in Stockholm that their good work will come to fruition in a positive outcome for us consumers, the DAW itself and the company as a whole.

Steedus
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2022

To be clear, the M2 architecture is the same as the M1. It’s not as if all devs will need to rebuild their apps to make them compatible every year or 2. It’s the same as the latest Intel chip, same architecture just better performance.

DaveyG

07 Jun 2022

Ima wait for M8 or M9.

WaxTrax

07 Jun 2022

DaveyG wrote:
07 Jun 2022
Ima wait for M8 or M9.
We'll have to watch out for the M12, it will probably be very buggy :lol:

kitekrazy

07 Jun 2022

DJMaytag wrote:
06 Jun 2022
geronimo wrote:
06 Jun 2022
I can't think of a single VST3-only plugin that I have to that I want. I might be in the minority here.
I've been only installing VST3 because having both takes longer on plugin scans and adds up in plugin menus. Most often virtual instruments still use VST2. Supposedly Sylenth will never be vst3,

QVprod

07 Jun 2022

hamsterfactor wrote:
07 Jun 2022
aaand M2 is shipping soon. :D

what kills me is that i‘ll have to shell out for another update to get VST3.
That’s definitely not what they said. End of year, not next version. Whether or not that pushes into next year is a different matter… but it should still be Reason 12.

Re8et
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2022

Steedus wrote:
07 Jun 2022
To be clear, the M2 architecture is the same as the M1. It’s not as if all devs will need to rebuild their apps to make them compatible every year or 2. It’s the same as the latest Intel chip, same architecture just better performance.
That's precisely what scares me...
I guess M1 Reason downloads would have to do without many Re devices if every Re has to be rewritten...
but yeah... I guess having only just all the stock devices for a start would be killer anyway, that would mean
it could also be loaded as Vst into Logic and other Daws...
I'm currently lost with the new M1 Garage Band... it's basically Logic for dummies....
I still have to learn if it can load Vsts (Apple in general) , the dynamic drum machines are amazing.

Steedus
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2022

Re8et wrote:
08 Jun 2022
Steedus wrote:
07 Jun 2022
That's precisely what scares me...
I guess M1 Reason downloads would have to do without many Re devices if every Re has to be rewritten...
but yeah... I guess having only just all the stock devices for a start would be killer anyway, that would mean
it could also be loaded as Vst into Logic and other Daws...
I'm currently lost with the new M1 Garage Band... it's basically Logic for dummies....
I still have to learn if it can load Vsts (Apple in general) , the dynamic drum machines are amazing.
Nothing to be scared about, I was trying to get in front of what is seemed some people we getting worried about. The release of M2 doesn't mean anything for M1 compatibility. If it's M1 compatible, it's M2 (in the most basic sense - they'll always be outliers)

As for Garageband, yes you can use plugins, however they need to be Audio Units (AU) - Apple's plugin format. VST files will not work with Garageband (or Logic for that matter)

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/g ... 6a4e4d/mac

turn2on
RE Developer

08 Jun 2022

For me, most important part of M1 support, is optimisation of audio interface work with Reason.
Look at Presonus Quantum 2626. Own Thunderbolt driver, compitable with M1 and intel-macs.
Latency about 0.7ms on intel-mac
Latency about 4.5ms on M1 under Rosetta
Still waiting in future native support of M1 in Reason to get better results for audio interface.

Heater

08 Jun 2022

It's amazing that Apple can spin up a new update to silicon faster than the props update software. Frankly it's unbelievable.

chimp_spanner

08 Jun 2022

Zerosity wrote:
06 Jun 2022
A chord progression player? Shouldn't that just be an update to the sequencer with a chord track? But then I guess they can't wrap it in pretty graphics and charge $69 for it that way.

I've typically been a user with a very optimistic view of Reason and it's direction, but these past few years, since the acquisition, have changed my opinion.

Oh well, there's enough RS bashing already, so I'll just go back to my lurker mode and hope for the best.
I may be in the minority here but I quite like having a lot of these extended functions as Players. I've used DAWs that have sequencers that do EVERYTHING and tbh...it's kinda overwhelming. I'm talking mainly about FL here. So many menu items and dialogues and stuff. It's easier for me to experiment with Players then send to track and take it from there. But, that's just me.

Of course, if you're a perpetual license holder then yeah I get that it sucks to have to pay $xx to get the equivalent to sequencer improvements (which I suppose is the appeal of R+). So it's still a valid criticism. And it's not like there's no room for improvement in the sequencer. I'd love it if it could do step sequencing, for instance!

QVprod

08 Jun 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
08 Jun 2022
Zerosity wrote:
06 Jun 2022

I may be in the minority here but I quite like having a lot of these extended functions as Players. I've used DAWs that have sequencers that do EVERYTHING and tbh...it's kinda overwhelming. I'm talking mainly about FL here. So many menu items and dialogues and stuff. It's easier for me to experiment with Players then send to track and take it from there. But, that's just me.

Of course, if you're a perpetual license holder then yeah I get that it sucks to have to pay $xx to get the equivalent to sequencer improvements (which I suppose is the appeal of R+). So it's still a valid criticism. And it's not like there's no room for improvement in the sequencer. I'd love it if it could do step sequencing, for instance!
I think quite a few people would love something in the Captain Chords vein

DJMaytag

08 Jun 2022

Heater wrote:
08 Jun 2022
It's amazing that Apple can spin up a new update to silicon faster than the props update software. Frankly it's unbelievable.
I'm sure a multi-billion dollar corporation has the budget & staffing to make that change in their silicon happen. Pretty sure RS's budget is a couple bucks less, and maybe has a few less people doing the coding.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2022

"Reason+ continue growing quickly and is now the most popular way to use Reason 12. In fact, we expect Reason+ to be the most popular way to use Reason across all versions sometime later this year! "

This worries me. I can't help but think that in a couple of years they'll remove the option to buy a perpetual license. The fact that they haven't shared their long term plan on the subject doesn't exactly put me at ease. Imo they've been pretty vague. Yes "we can buy R12" but what happens after that? Will there be a R13 or R14? That's what I want to know.
I wonder if they had released R12 without all the problems and it didn't have such a steep price increase, would their numbers look different? Perhaps more in favor of perpetual licences?
For me the day they make it subscription only will be the day that I stop supporting them. I will then stay on whatever version I'm on and work with that for as long as I can. But that's it.

WaxTrax

08 Jun 2022

Software subscriptions for major platforms are going to be the new normal eventually. This change is occurring with software as a whole and is not specific to just creative software or any specific industry. In a business context, companies generally prefer opex to capex, and that is part of the overall drive. The tide has turned, there is no going back, and while you can choose to vote with your wallet against subscriptions, it will be futile eventually if you want to work with the latest software (of any major software vendor).

I am not arguing for or against subscriptions, but this will be the reality soon for most major commercial software.

Billy+

08 Jun 2022

QVprod wrote:
08 Jun 2022
I think quite a few people would love something in the Captain Chords vein
I don't know about something in the captain chords vein

I would prefer getting vst midi support for the actual captain chords or scaler or any number of other much more reasonable priced vst based midi devices currently available for DAW's way before yet another over priced player device.

Scaler at £50 blows all the combined RS players out of the water and even though captain bundle is more expensive it's still better than and more cost effective than players.

Given the choice I prefer vst midi devices.

• Information