Malström Tritone Patches

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2022

So for about two weeks now I've been playing around with Malström, trying to make some patches from scratch. I think a lot more patches came out on the weirder side this time compared to my other refills. A lot less bread and butter than usual. But since Malström is a rather quirky and weird synth, I guess it's no wonder the patches ended up the way they did.

There are 51 patches. No combinator patches. Many of the patches could really use some reverb to make them sound a little more polished and sit in a mix. Because of this I decided to add some reverb on the Demo song this time.

Feel free to check them out.
Malström Tritone Patches.zip
(27.83 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 04 Jun 2022, edited 1 time in total.

motuscott

04 Jun 2022

Thank you Sir
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

crimsonwarlock

04 Jun 2022

I have only listened to your demo track, beautiful sounds, again. It made me realize I should spend some time with Malstrom myself. But for now, just downloaded your presets. Tnx.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

challism

04 Jun 2022

My exact thought when I read the title of this post listed under new posts: Malström Tritone Patches - TritoneAddiciton... Oooh goodie!

Thank you for sharing these. I really enjoyed your last/first batch of patches for Parsec.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

moneykube

04 Jun 2022

cool... my favourite classic older synth... I still love it... thanks for the patches bro :thumbs_up:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Auryn

04 Jun 2022

Hah, you started patch designing! The Malstrom was basically my first love, I still really love the aggressive sounds you can make with the shaper, and some of the graintables are just zany in the way they respond (for example the analoguefeedback). I wish there was a modern version. Most modern synths seem very "processed" and anti-aliased, you can't coax the same type of noise terror out of them (but I'm always happy to hear suggestions for synths!)
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2022

motuscott wrote:
04 Jun 2022
Thank you Sir
You're welcome :puf_smile:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 Jun 2022
I have only listened to your demo track, beautiful sounds, again. It made me realize I should spend some time with Malstrom myself. But for now, just downloaded your presets. Tnx.
Thanks. Yes I'm really glad I've started taking time to revisit a bunch of synths in my rack. Malström does its own thing. It's worth exploring for sure. I think once you start adding effects to it, it can really shine. The foundation is there, but it can be a little dry on its own.

Loque

04 Jun 2022

Excellent patches. I just made some good stabs out of the basses and vocals. Also the other patches are great and ready for some MIMIC fun. Well done and thanks for sharing!
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
04 Jun 2022
My exact thought when I read the title of this post listed under new posts: Malström Tritone Patches - TritoneAddiciton... Oooh goodie!

Thank you for sharing these. I really enjoyed your last/first batch of patches for Parsec.
Thanks, really appreciate the kind words.
Glad you dug the Parsec stuff.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2022

moneykube wrote:
04 Jun 2022
cool... my favourite classic older synth... I still love it... thanks for the patches bro :thumbs_up:
Yeah after spending some time with Malström now, it seems to me like it's pretty unique.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2022

Auryn wrote:
04 Jun 2022
Hah, you started patch designing! The Malstrom was basically my first love, I still really love the aggressive sounds you can make with the shaper, and some of the graintables are just zany in the way they respond (for example the analoguefeedback). I wish there was a modern version. Most modern synths seem very "processed" and anti-aliased, you can't coax the same type of noise terror out of them (but I'm always happy to hear suggestions for synths!)
Yes I'm surprised myself. If you'd asked me a year ago if I would start making a bunch of patches and diving into synths I would say "No, that's not me".
I can't say I'm making patches on any complicated level. I don't think I'm using any synths full potential. But I'm quite happy just to explore a bunch of my old synths in my own way. I think I initially was under the impression that you had to be a technical person to make patches. And though that will probably help, I've discovered that the biggest part is just about using your ear, just like when I'm writing a tune. Tweak away and press save whenever you stumble upon something interesting. At least that's how I approach this.

I see what you mean. Malström has a really cool grittiness and lofi character to it. Very mid rangy. Can't say I've heard that type of sound in any other synth.

At some point I gotta try out Oberon too. I know that's one of you're favorites. Again I don't think I'll ever use a big synth like that to its full potential. But if I walk away from the experience and learned 20% of what Oberon is about then that'll be enough for me.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2022

Loque wrote:
04 Jun 2022
Excellent patches. I just made some good stabs out of the basses and vocals. Also the other patches are great and ready for some MIMIC fun. Well done and thanks for sharing!
Thanks. Yes I can see how some of these patches can work as a starting point. It's very much up to the user to alter them to ones needs.

Aosta

04 Jun 2022

Very nice :clap:

I sense a song challenge :thumbup:
Tend the flame

hamsterfactor

04 Jun 2022

:thumbup: thanks for the free!
:reason: Suite 11  |  :reason: 12 perpetual license  |  :re::refill: |  macOS Ventura  |  Mac Studio M1 Max

Auryn

04 Jun 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
04 Jun 2022
Yes I'm surprised myself. If you'd asked me a year ago if I would start making a bunch of patches and diving into synths I would say "No, that's not me".
I can't say I'm making patches on any complicated level. I don't think I'm using any synths full potential. But I'm quite happy just to explore a bunch of my old synths in my own way. I think I initially was under the impression that you had to be a technical person to make patches. And though that will probably help, I've discovered that the biggest part is just about using your ear, just like when I'm writing a tune. Tweak away and press save whenever you stumble upon something interesting. At least that's how I approach this.
Cool man, glad you started exploring. It really is true that mostly patch designing is just listening and experimenting. It helps to have technical knowledge but really every synth is it's own thing so what techniques/approaches will sound good with one synth may not sound as great in another. The Malstrom is also really great in that all the wavetables have pretty distinct sonic characteristics from the get-go. If you compare it to Nostromo for example, the wavetables sound more similar and you will have to work harder to get a broader palette of sounds/textures.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
04 Jun 2022
I see what you mean. Malström has a really cool grittiness and lofi character to it. Very mid rangy. Can't say I've heard that type of sound in any other synth.
Yeah I was checking out the patches and saw you discovered the thunder table (get to tha choppa!), there's really nothing else out there that can do those kind of sounds so easily. Grain is supposed to work in a similar way but sounds much duller to my ears.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Quarmat
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2022

Thank you Tritone, these patches are great!

arnigretar

05 Jun 2022

Thank you! One of my fav synths. Very good patches :) Thanks for sharing!
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

challism

05 Jun 2022

These are some really nice patches. I love Malstrom. Melody/User Friendly sounds great with low velocity notes (much different than it does with high velocity notes). I was inspired by that patch last night. <3
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2022

Quarmat wrote:
05 Jun 2022
Thank you Tritone, these patches are great!
Thanks, appreciate it.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2022

arnigretar wrote:
05 Jun 2022
Thank you! One of my fav synths. Very good patches :) Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the compliment.
I'm gonna leave my verdict of favorite synths for a while. I've noticed that since I've gone a bit deeper with synths lately it has changed the way I view some of them. There are still so many more I want to revisit and explore further.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
05 Jun 2022
These are some really nice patches. I love Malstrom. Melody/User Friendly sounds great with low velocity notes (much different than it does with high velocity notes). I was inspired by that patch last night. <3
Thanks. Yep "User friendly" is definitely one of the more "playable" patches in this refill.

modecca

24 Nov 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Nov 2022

I've found in several of your videos you have a nice lo-fi sound. Like a warm saturated sound. Do you have a particular process to achieve that? Or perhaps some favorite devices for that kind of thing?
🔗💥

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2022

modecca wrote:
24 Nov 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Nov 2022

I've found in several of your videos you have a nice lo-fi sound. Like a warm saturated sound. Do you have a particular process to achieve that? Or perhaps some favorite devices for that kind of thing?
Interesting. RPDistort was one of my first RE purchases, but for some reason I had almost forgot I owned it. Maybe the chase for new gear took over at some point. I really should revisit it.

I actually did one rhodes song for a song competition, "Purity", but that's the only time. Though I did absolutely drench the rhodes in reverb to make it fit my composition style.

I'm not actually sure I knew much about the repeat envelope thing when I made the refill. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. I wouldn't be surprised if I made use of that by accident. :lol: Again my technical abilities could be better. But that's interesting, just that brief tweaking you did in the video really showcased completely different sounds compared to the more standard ones.

I still love when drums has a huge role in the music, IF it fits the music that is. But having said that I also like the opposite. Looking at my 2022 album I just released there are 5 out of the 17 songs that has no drums at all.
If you've grown tired of the drums, for me I've noticed I've grown a bit tired of that modern super bright high end. Many times I prefer a more midrangy type of production style. But in the end it's mostly whatever fits the song that makes me decide which production style I go with.

• Information