256-step MATRIX Pattern Sequencer with On-the-Fly Editing Combinator

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
moofi

05 Jun 2022

256-step MATRIX Pattern Sequencer with On-the-Fly Editing Combinator

Not having a 256-step sequencer, neither a 128-step one, I created a 32/64/128/256-step Matrix Pattern Sequencer Combiantor with on-the-fly-editing.
128 steps is where a pattern starts to not sound repetitive anymore. I noticed this when working with the first version of the Korg Electribe-SX hardwaresampler.
Reason I´m longing for an at least 128-step sequencer in Reason since. As I felt like 256 steps could be interesting aswell for even less repetitiveness I extended the Combinator to that number.

The basic technique is simple, a second Matrix´ curve output is cycling through pattern bank A´s eight 32-step patterns of the first (sequencing) Matrix.

Manual

NOTE: To access the actual sequencer the Combinator naturally has to be set to show devices. Here I felt a "Hide" function within the Combinator for "no-need-to-be-shown" devices would have come in very handy, to visually get rid of the underlying merely functional devices.

ON-section

Here the Matrix can be turned off. It´s linked to the "Pattern Enable" funtion of the MPS.

Steps-section

The overall number of steps can be set here. You can choose between 32 (pattern 1), 64 (pattern 1+2), 128 (pattern 1-4), 256 (pattern 1-8) steps.

RUN-section

The playing of the sequencer can be turned on/off via the RUN button. The RUN Button is linked to the Run Button of the MPS, with the advantage that it now can be automated via the Combinator Run Button. The original MPS´run button wouldn´t allow automation otherwise.

EDIT: Well, the RUN-button still cannot be automated. Just noticed while trying. Before I merely did see the automation option yet didn´t notice it was greyed out. It´s the Combinator´s RUN-button, so just the same like with the Matrix´ RUN-button.

EDIT section

By clicking the EDIT button in the on-the-fly-section (O-T-F) the pattern cycling is paused and it loops merely the currently playing pattern. You can simply let that one pattern loop as long as you edit and revert back to cycling through the patterns by turning EDIT off.

While in EDIT-mode you can aswell choose the to be edited 32-step PATTERN (1-8) with the according slider.
Even when EDIT is turned off, it´s possible to jump to a pattern, though after being played once it reverts to cycling. Not really suited for editing but can be automated aswell to introduce variation.

CV-Connections

Below the sequencing Matrix are two CV-merger/splitter. The left one splits the MPS´ Note + Gate signal into several outputs while the second one delivers MPS curve outputs. I included these to be able to send an identical sequence to several devices. The invert output of the CV-merger/splitter allows for additional possibilities.

Instrument

Monotone Bass Synthesiser is the default instrument the MPS is being connected to. I chose Monotone because it´s very well suited for receiving monophonic sequences.You can simply swap it for an alternative device by dragging and dropping a new instrument from the browser onto it, that will automatically connect to the GATE and NOTE output of the CV-merger/splitter instead. The CURVE output would have to be reconnected manually as it isn´t a fix connection like GATE and NOTE.

Combinator: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 6-step.zip

NOTE: It requires the free Rack Extension A/B Audio & CV Switch from pongasoft: https://reasonstudios.com/shop/rack-ext ... cv-switch/

It uses Jiggery Pokery´s TMA-1 Commentator for displaying and seperating the two sections, though it would perfectly work without it aswell:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... mmentator/
preview.jpg
preview.jpg (181.45 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
preview 2.jpg
preview 2.jpg (324.25 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Last edited by moofi on 12 Jun 2022, edited 4 times in total.

Loque

05 Jun 2022

Too bad that a lot of the controls of Matrix are not remotable.
Reason12, Win10

challism

05 Jun 2022

Thanks for sharing.
Loque wrote:
05 Jun 2022
Yes, it's a DAMN SHAME really. I wish RS would go back and address this problem with many of their earlier devices. I absolutely hate it when developers make (what seems like unnecessary, in this case) decisions on behalf of their users. There are obviously slots available to automate the resolution knob on the Matrix (and probably Redrum, too), so why the limitation? This is something that has been deeply bugging me for 20-some years now.
moofi wrote:
05 Jun 2022

I included a Monotone Bass Synthesiser being the default instrument the MPS is being connected to. I chose Monotone because it´s very well suited for receiving monophonic sequences.
I used to use ID8 for the default instrument, but I've recently switched to Murf ModRack MIDI because it works as an instrument (required by all Players), has a tiny DSP hit (smallest of any instrument I've seen), and acts like a MIDI to CV converter, so you can send MIDI notes to other devices! Freaking sweet!
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... rack-midi/
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

moofi

05 Jun 2022

Yes, I hear you, it would aswell be pleasant being able to automate the step numbers, because whensoever I do it manually interesting rhythmic fill ins happen.
Though I already got it I was always wondering (without looking into it) what that Murf device was for. Now I know, thank you :-)
challism wrote:
05 Jun 2022
Thanks for sharing.
Loque wrote:
05 Jun 2022
Yes, it's a DAMN SHAME really. I wish RS would go back and address this problem with many of their earlier devices. I absolutely hate it when developers make (what seems like unnecessary, in this case) decisions on behalf of their users. There are obviously slots available to automate the resolution knob on the Matrix (and probably Redrum, too), so why the limitation? This is something that has been deeply bugging me for 20-some years now.
moofi wrote:
05 Jun 2022

I included a Monotone Bass Synthesiser being the default instrument the MPS is being connected to. I chose Monotone because it´s very well suited for receiving monophonic sequences.
I used to use ID8 for the default instrument, but I've recently switched to Murf ModRack MIDI because it works as an instrument (required by all Players), has a tiny DSP hit (smallest of any instrument I've seen), and acts like a MIDI to CV converter, so you can send MIDI notes to other devices! Freaking sweet!
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... rack-midi/

moofi

12 Jun 2022

EDIT: Well, the RUN-button still cannot be automated. Just noticed while trying. Before I merely did see the automation option yet didn´t notice it was greyed out. It´s the Combinator´s RUN-button, so just the same like with the Matrix´ RUN-button.

• Information