New Rhodes Suitcase73 RE by Chris Griffin

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Jac459

01 Jun 2022

OK I did test it and... It seriously rock indeed... I don't use enough this kind of instruments enough (after spending 99 dolls on radikal keys) but this is for sure awesome value for money...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

joeyluck

01 Jun 2022

I wonder if it would be possible to have a toggle to make the "vibrato" mono. I guess I could just connect the left output, but then I lose the stereo of the built-in effects. I assume it's made to be true to the 73's behavior for the tremolo to be a stereo panning effect?

selig
RE Developer

01 Jun 2022

joeyluck wrote:
01 Jun 2022
I wonder if it would be possible to have a toggle to make the "vibrato" mono. I guess I could just connect the left output, but then I lose the stereo of the built-in effects. I assume it's made to be true to the 73's behavior for the tremolo to be a stereo panning effect?
That would be nice - IRL we'd mic just one speaker if you wanted the mono tremolo effect, would be fantastic to replicate that effect in the device (assuming the room mics would bleed some of the other channel).
Selig Audio, LLC

MuttReason

01 Jun 2022

Massive Rhodes fan here… owned so many plugins over the years plus hardware sample-based versions. Never owned the real thing but used to play a Mk2 quite regularly a long time ago and always wanted to buy it. The YT demo sounds fantastic on headphones. Looking forward to trying this out. The one to beat (for me) is the Modartt Pianoteq, it’s a fantastic modelled Rhodes (plus grand piano, clavinet and other keyboards as well). But I’m trying to stick to REs only in Reason (ie no VST plugins) as I much prefer the RE UIs and I also find that R12 is much more stable without VSTs enabled (I deselect the VST folder option in Preferences).

rootwheel

01 Jun 2022

MrFigg wrote:
31 May 2022
This just appeared in the shop...
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ric-piano/
Kind of strange as I just picked up the Sampleson Suit73 VST a couple of days ago along with Reed200 and Model-T. Looks like the RE is sample based so I don't know how much space it takes up. I've already got the Addictive Keys, Lounge Lizard, Radical Keys, Selig refill...you could call me a big Rhodes EP fan. I'll probably trial it but it's unlikely I'll buy it unless it shows up in a sale. In the meantime if anybody else tries it I'd be happy to hear what you think of it.
Edit: Thought I might as well download the trial to see how big the download is. 1.1GB!!!
I instantly bought this given I'm a huge fan of J Chris Griffin's other Rack Extensions and the original ElectroMechanical ReFill.

Unfortunately I'm finding that this is the first Rack Extension I've ever bought which won't load in Reason 10.4. It appears in the browser but if I drag and drop it to the rack or double click its icon, nothing happens. I have already emailed J Chris Griffin and also raised a ticket with Reason Studios.

Anyone else having this issue? I have a Reason 11 license but prefer to use 10 as I find it to be more stable (plus I prefer the old logo).

parma

01 Jun 2022

Does anyone have an idea what the CPU knob on the back does? (Other than, you know, increasing or decreasing CPU usage).

QVprod

02 Jun 2022

parma wrote:
01 Jun 2022
Does anyone have an idea what the CPU knob on the back does? (Other than, you know, increasing or decreasing CPU usage).
As per the product description, likely increases the amount of samples used for detail /accuracy.

littlejam

02 Jun 2022

hello,

i can confirm that this RE does NOT load into R10.4d4 on windows 7

this sucks

no where on the web page does it state that this does not work with R10

i hope refunds will be made available or a fix
i'd rather have it fixed to work in R10.4 please

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

rootwheel

02 Jun 2022

littlejam wrote:
02 Jun 2022
hello,

i can confirm that this RE does NOT load into R10.4d4 on windows 7

this sucks

no where on the web page does it state that this does not work with R10

i hope refunds will be made available or a fix
i'd rather have it fixed to work in R10.4 please

cheers,

j
I got a reply from Reason Studios:
If you have Reason 10.1 or later, you should be able to use any Rack Extension available in the shop?

If a Rack Extensions is too new, you will get an alert about this when launching Reason, and the Rack Extension won't be available in Reason.

Please get in touch with the developer of the Rack Extension directly for further support troubleshooting. If they need our help to get it to work, they can get in touch with our developer support.
http://www.jchrisgriffin.com/contact
I've already contacted J Chris Griffin through his website. Hopefully he can get the RE updated and fixed :)

littlejam

02 Jun 2022

hello,

@rootwheel: thanks for the response

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49

joeyluck

02 Jun 2022

MrFigg wrote:
31 May 2022
selig wrote:
31 May 2022
OK, reading the product blurb he did create the Electro Mechanical as I remembered and this one looks FANTASTIC. Insta buy for me (one of the only times that's ever happened), just based on the guy behind the product (and the fact I really love and use the hell out of e. piano patches).
Think it sounds really good. Really it does. Don’t agree that it looks really good though. GUI is kind of flat and bland. Guess you don’t look at the mantelpiece when you’re poking the fire though.
I really like the overall look and layout :thumbup:

I think though that maybe some shadows are missing on some knobs? Such as the effects sections. Maybe that's what makes it look flat to you? And is it the reflection on the main knobs that is creating a hard line around 7? I initially thought those knobs were dented/warped.

Much of the text in the effects sections seems too small for 100% zoom.

And not a huge issue, but I wish the effect edit selection was more clear, along the lines of the Direct/Amp/Room enable buttons with red text. As it is now, the effect edit buttons seem to just become ever so slightly darker.

And does the "note received" display ever show anything else? If it displayed other things, maybe it would seem to have more of a purpose. Otherwise, I would opt for the typical, small LED indication. Or if wanting text, expand the patch browser a touch and have it display there.

Ottostrom

02 Jun 2022

Had some time to try it out today and was yet again reminded of how bad of a keys player I am..
Atleast the instrument itself sounds great :thumbs_up:
Will definitely pick this one up

MuttReason

02 Jun 2022

OK have now bought this. It is... really good. Just lost two hours noodling around with it. Really nailed it... it does 'tinkle to bark' just like the real thing, and even on a synth action keyboard (although a good one... Fatar keybed in my Modal Cobalt8 synth) it comes as close to feeling like an actual Rhodes when playing as any plugin or hardware emulation I've used over the last 15-20 years or so. Made me start GASing for a proper weighted keyboard. Seriously impressed. This one is a keeper.

crimsonwarlock

02 Jun 2022

MuttReason wrote:
02 Jun 2022
(although a good one... Fatar keybed in my Modal Cobalt8 synth)
Fatar keybeds is pretty much as good as it gets... for synth action :thumbup:
MuttReason wrote:
02 Jun 2022
Made me start GASing for a proper weighted keyboard.
Beware, it will ruin your appreciation for the Fatar keybed :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

parma

02 Jun 2022

QVprod wrote:
02 Jun 2022
parma wrote:
01 Jun 2022
As per the product description, likely increases the amount of samples used for detail /accuracy.
I doubt that's what it is because there's no "pause" in the instrument while it loads more samples

DaveyG

03 Jun 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
02 Jun 2022
MuttReason wrote:
02 Jun 2022
(although a good one... Fatar keybed in my Modal Cobalt8 synth)
MuttReason wrote:
02 Jun 2022
Made me start GASing for a proper weighted keyboard.
Yup, unless you are a pianist stay away from fully weighted keys if you want to play synths. You just can't play quick, consistent runs on them unless you spend months/years building finger strength. It's a surprisingly different skill. And on the other hand, my wife really dislikes synth action keys, especially in the lower octaves.

MuttReason

03 Jun 2022

DaveyG wrote:
03 Jun 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
02 Jun 2022

Yup, unless you are a pianist stay away from fully weighted keys if you want to play synths. You just can't play quick, consistent runs on them unless you spend months/years building finger strength. It's a surprisingly different skill. And on the other hand, my wife really dislikes synth action keys, especially in the lower octaves.
The thing is, I am a pianist but I don’t have space for an 88-key hammer action keyboard (or even for the StudioLogic 73-key weighted keyboard). Roland used to make a 61-key graded hammer action keyboard which would be perfect but it’s long discontinued and the ones I’ve seen on eBay all look pretty battered.

My ideal would involve rebuilding the whole of my (tiny) studio space to base it around a 88 or 73 key weighted keyboard but that’s too daunting a prospect right now as I don’t know where I’d fit in all the rest of my gear. Turns out the best cure for GAS is setting up a hybrid hardware/DAW studio in a space that’s four feet wide by four feet deep… 😁

rootwheel

03 Jun 2022

littlejam wrote:
02 Jun 2022
hello,

@rootwheel: thanks for the response

cheers,

j
Got this back from J Chris Griffin:
A new build is uploaded that should help Reason 10 users. Version 1.01 will be available as soon as Reason Studios posts it.
I just downloaded v1.0.1 now and it's all working fine in Reason 10! What a fantastic instrument this is :)

littlejam

03 Jun 2022

hello,

@rootwheel: thanks again for the heads up
i got the update installed and the RE is working well

thanks to J Chris Griffin for the fast fix

cheers and eat well,

j
littlejamaicastudios

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Jun 2022

Just got back from a friends with my Jazzmaster. I didn’t know he had an original Rhodes Mk1. Got it playing through a big Fender amp. Wow!!!!! I mean wow!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

QVprod

03 Jun 2022

parma wrote:
02 Jun 2022
QVprod wrote:
02 Jun 2022

I doubt that's what it is because there's no "pause" in the instrument while it loads more samples
Ah ok. It increases the quality of something I’m sure

parma

05 Jun 2022

QVprod wrote:
03 Jun 2022
parma wrote:
02 Jun 2022

I emailed Chris and he said that the CPU knob "controls polyphony and sustained notes".

QVprod

05 Jun 2022

parma wrote:
05 Jun 2022
QVprod wrote:
03 Jun 2022

I emailed Chris and he said that the CPU knob "controls polyphony and sustained notes".
That makes sense. Voice stealing. Not something you ever really think about in software. Usually only on hardware.

deigm

06 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
31 May 2022
selig wrote:
31 May 2022
I believe Chris also worked on the original Electro Mechanical ReFill a while back, still one of my "go to" E. Pianos. So I would expect similar if not even better quality from this - will check it out right away!
I love the Electro Mechanical refill as well. It's a great collection of sounds. In the product description of this E. Piano, Chris says of that refill, "it’s now part of the Reason Factory Soundset (you have these!)."

I didn't know they added all those samples to the Factory Soundbank. Nice!
What exactly am I looking for in the factory sound bank? A search for 'Electro Mechanical' yields nothing..?

• Information