New Rhodes Suitcase73 RE by Chris Griffin

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 May 2022

This just appeared in the shop...
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ric-piano/
Kind of strange as I just picked up the Sampleson Suit73 VST a couple of days ago along with Reed200 and Model-T. Looks like the RE is sample based so I don't know how much space it takes up. I've already got the Addictive Keys, Lounge Lizard, Radical Keys, Selig refill...you could call me a big Rhodes EP fan. I'll probably trial it but it's unlikely I'll buy it unless it shows up in a sale. In the meantime if anybody else tries it I'd be happy to hear what you think of it.
Edit: Thought I might as well download the trial to see how big the download is. 1.1GB!!!
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Loque

31 May 2022

Interesting. Sounds nice and full. The fx sounds nice too.

Chris is doing some good stuff :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 May 2022

Loque wrote: ↑
31 May 2022

Yeah. It sounds good. What about audio ins would be my next question :):):)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

31 May 2022

I believe Chris also worked on the original Electro Mechanical ReFill a while back, still one of my "go to" E. Pianos. So I would expect similar if not even better quality from this - will check it out right away!
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 May 2022

It’s a million times better than Radical Keys in any case.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Loque

31 May 2022

MrFigg wrote: ↑
31 May 2022
Loque wrote: ↑
31 May 2022

Yeah. It sounds good. What about audio ins would be my next question :):):)
I directly looked at the back, but there was no additional input. Maybe its "just" and IDT/Gorilla device?
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

31 May 2022

OK, reading the product blurb he did create the Electro Mechanical as I remembered and this one looks FANTASTIC. Insta buy for me (one of the only times that's ever happened), just based on the guy behind the product (and the fact I really love and use the hell out of e. piano patches).
[UPDATE: it does not disappoint!]
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 May 2022

selig wrote: ↑
31 May 2022
OK, reading the product blurb he did create the Electro Mechanical as I remembered and this one looks FANTASTIC. Insta buy for me (one of the only times that's ever happened), just based on the guy behind the product (and the fact I really love and use the hell out of e. piano patches).
Think it sounds really good. Really it does. Don’t agree that it looks really good though. GUI is kind of flat and bland. Guess you don’t look at the mantelpiece when you’re poking the fire though.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Ottostrom

31 May 2022

Man, this is exactly what I've wanted but never expected to show up in RE format!
Been doing more soul/funk stuff lately and I never have a good go-to electric piano, so instead i usually use on of the patches from the Electro Mechanical refill. Very happy to see this :)

crimsonwarlock

31 May 2022

So, I managed to keep my GAS in check during this MM sale, and now this :shock: :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape β‡’ ESQ1 sequencer board β‡’ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 β‡’ Atari/Cubase β‡’ Cakewalk Sonar β‡’ Orion Pro/Platinum β‡’ Reaper β‡’ Reason DAW.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 May 2022

I said I wouldn’t buy this until it went on sale but my money is burning a hole in my pocket. I want it. I want it now goddamnit.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

challism

31 May 2022

31 May 2022
Precise mathematical calculations.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 May 2022

challism wrote: ↑
31 May 2022
31 May 2022
Precise mathematical calculations.
I rounded down.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

challism

31 May 2022

selig wrote: ↑
31 May 2022
I believe Chris also worked on the original Electro Mechanical ReFill a while back, still one of my "go to" E. Pianos. So I would expect similar if not even better quality from this - will check it out right away!
I love the Electro Mechanical refill as well. It's a great collection of sounds. In the product description of this E. Piano, Chris says of that refill, "it’s now part of the Reason Factory Soundset (you have these!)."

I didn't know they added all those samples to the Factory Soundbank. Nice!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Jac459

31 May 2022

31 May 2022

I rounded down.
:D
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

31 May 2022

challism wrote: ↑
31 May 2022
... , Chris says of that refill, "it’s now part of the Reason Factory Soundset (you have these!)."

I didn't know they added all those samples to the Factory Soundbank. Nice!
Good point for reason studios!

By the way I do like radikal keys... Not a funk fan though, I just like funky vibes in electro. So it works good enough. And it does look good.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

parma

31 May 2022

This smokes Radical Keys but that's not saying much because Rad Keys is absolute garbage. Radical Keys/Piano is the worst thing Propellerheads/Reason Studios has ever released. They should send every owner of Rad Keys a license for this.

Jac459

01 Jun 2022

parma wrote: ↑
31 May 2022
This smokes Radical Keys but that's not saying much because Rad Keys is absolute garbage. Radical Keys/Piano is the worst thing Propellerheads/Reason Studios has ever released. They should send every owner of Rad Keys a license for this.
That's bold 🀭
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

parma

01 Jun 2022

Jac459 wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2022
31 May 2022
That's bold 🀭
It's true, though. Ask anyone that has ever owned a Rhodes or spent 5 minutes playing one. Even the Electro Mechanical Refill Rhodes sounds better.

Jac459

01 Jun 2022

@parma: ok so if I read you well, it is not so that you don't like the sound of it. It is more the accuracy that your challenge correct? Compared to the original.
Because the sound is quite pleasant to me. Especially with Rotor.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2022

01 Jun 2022
@parma: ok so if I read you well, it is not so that you don't like the sound of it. It is more the accuracy that your challenge correct? Compared to the original.
Have you tried any other Leslie plugins. Rotor is far too muddy. Radical Keys, as I mentioned before is probably the weakest sounding Rhodes/Wurlitzer I have and I have many. This new one sounds great and the effects with the addition of a granular engine give it added points.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

crimsonwarlock

01 Jun 2022

01 Jun 2022
My thoughts exactly. It's like the DX7 e-piano sound that was all over the eighties big hits. It doesn't sound anything like a Rhodes, but it is arguably the most used e-piano sound in the history of music. Every other not-Rhodes e-piano has its own sound and charm. I'm certain that the casual listener doesn't care in any way about what e-piano was used in a track, as long as it fits the track and sits nicely in the mix.

As for playability, for me that comes down much more to the actual keyboard you use to play it. The best Rhodes emulation won't 'feel' like a Rhodes when you play it from a lower quality synth-action midi keyboard. I have a Roland RD-150 with a wooden hammer-action full-range keyboard, that I use as a midi-keyboard. It is incredible how different the experience is when playing piano and e-piano instruments from this keyboard.

Having said that, I'm still getting this new RE because it does sound great anyway.
-------
Analog tape β‡’ ESQ1 sequencer board β‡’ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 β‡’ Atari/Cubase β‡’ Cakewalk Sonar β‡’ Orion Pro/Platinum β‡’ Reaper β‡’ Reason DAW.

parma

01 Jun 2022

01 Jun 2022
Radical Keys sounds like a real Rhodes covered in blankets and mic'd from a tin can. I don't like it for accuracy and I don't like it at all. Download the demo for this new RE and set it up with the same settings as a Rad Keys patch. Take away all the effects and just listen to the basic tone. The difference is huge.

Jac459

01 Jun 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2022

My thoughts exactly. It's like the DX7 e-piano sound that was all over the eighties big hits. It doesn't sound anything like a Rhodes, but it is arguably the most used e-piano sound in the history of music. Every other not-Rhodes e-piano has its own sound and charm. I'm certain that the casual listener doesn't care in any way about what e-piano was used in a track, as long as it fits the track and sits nicely in the mix.
I like very much your analogy, it makes great sense to me...
Radikal keys helped me finish a song I was struggling to in a way that I love. The sound fitted very well, that's why I feel like defending it a bit lol.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

01 Jun 2022

01 Jun 2022
Download the demo for this new RE and set it up with the same settings as a Rad Keys patch. Take away all the effects and just listen to the basic tone. The difference is huge.
Will do!
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

• Information