Which Rack Extensions have you recently bought and why?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
gkillmaster

19 Apr 2022

Last RE I bought was InRange and since I have a huge MIDI library, I can do melody alchemy with it with great results.

Jac459

24 May 2022

Went for a RE purchase frenzy from March to May as I stopped music prod for a while and can finally spend more time on it (kids not babies anymore effect)

Basically I am discovering awesome RE that you guys know for years:
1. Friktion blew my mind, literally. It is soo much better than any sample pack. I totally love it.
2. Antidote => discovered thanks to this forum.... Oh my, the sound is soo good.
3. ReSpire => same, I don't find it that cpu hungry that I have read here, yet the sounds are awesome. UI is indeed so so...
4. Algorithm! Tried FM 20 years ago as sound design and it was hell (DX7) what a difference now! It is like FM unleashed, I totally love it.
5. Exale => of course, this is an awesome synth.

Things I purchased and I am not as fan as I read here:
1. The Legend: OK the sound is great but it is quite narrow and modulations are limited (I love playing with LFOs).
2. Complex1 and Parsec... I think I just didn't invest enough time in them.
3. Nostromo : I think I don't get it...

Things I love but are not much appreciated in this forum:
Scenic: I know it is not a revolution but presets are awesome and the controls are fun
Processed pianos: I caught myself using the presets more than I should.
Radikal keys with rotor, love the sound.

Newer stuff: bvx vocoder. OK but didn't blew my mind, I used to love the b512. It is better but not revolutionary.

Next purchase: Vk2 maybe but I am just scrathing the surface on Algoritm.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

DJMaytag

25 May 2022

Last 3 purchases:

B*VX
Bassline Generator
Algoritm

I guess I went on a RS spree in the past year. Before these? Bought Obsession and the CV Tools Bundle March of 2021, according to my receipts.

WOO

25 May 2022

dna labs aquios
Why because it was 9 dollars and I'm a sucker for synths. Some of the patches I find inspiring but most are just filler. The gui couldn't be any uglier or hard to see and I don't know how anyone could use this on a laptop.

Loque

25 May 2022

I bought Infuser. Mainly because i want here and than there some extra shiny noise on the top end. I could have created a noise shaper, which I also do from time to time, but this is just faster and smoother for most cases.
Reason12, Win10

Jac459

30 May 2022

DJMaytag wrote:
25 May 2022
Last 3 purchases:

B*VX
Bassline Generator
Algoritm

I guess I went on a RS spree in the past year. Before these? Bought Obsession and the CV Tools Bundle March of 2021, according to my receipts.
I missed the obsession sales, I am so sad... How is it?
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

DJMaytag

30 May 2022

Obsession sounds really good but it’s not as intuitive to program as other synths in my arsenal. I have to think a bit about how to get certain sounds whenever I’m making a patch from scratch.

moggadeet

30 May 2022

I got GClip yesterday: I am playing around with clippers as tools for gain staging.

Soxious808

30 May 2022

Bassline generator - really useful, can be used for melodies not just bass

Noterepeat player - fast results for snare rolls, hi hats

Glacius X - seen some negativity on here about it but so many of the sounds are lush, well worth the sale price, I ended up getting the factory x3 expansion on sale too

Fritz from the panda- my favourite developer but disappointed in this, haven’t found a way to incorporate it in my workflow, must be missing something but can’t see what the fuss is about….

Kompulsion - be surprised if there’s a better arpeggiator vst than this, tons of depth

Remember GAS isn’t a real thing, it’s just the natural evolution of your studio 🤓

DJMaytag

30 May 2022

Just bought Ouroboros, Desmodus, and FL3606 after having them on the $9/mo subscription plan for a LONG while, and decided they were keepers.

Also grabbed:
GrainShift Delay Pitch Shifter, because the demo looked interesting enough.
MetaCore Correlation Meter, as a phase correlation meter is a handy tool. Also needed for debugging mono/stereo incompatibility.

Jac459

30 May 2022

DJMaytag wrote:
30 May 2022
Obsession sounds really good but it’s not as intuitive to program as other synths in my arsenal. I have to think a bit about how to get certain sounds whenever I’m making a patch from scratch.
Thanks... I will wait a bit. Got vk-2 with reward points and I am not that impressed yet. Need to understand its logic... And presets are so-so imho.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Chi-Individual

30 May 2022

May Madness gave me Mad Gas. Here’s the damage:

Selig Infuser
Selig Leveler
Selig Colouring EQ (had to have it)
Synapse Vintage Phaser
Synapse GQ7
Synapse Fat Space
JP Transcendent 2000
RS BV-X
Lectric Panda mDSQ (to be able to program drums without taking up a lot of space was a no brainer. Shocked RS didn’t do this first)
Reasonistas CoreRealtion

Now with LP lowering the prices I just need to complete that collection.

dvdrtldg

30 May 2022

The Animus because it's $15 and it's awesome

CV Pistons because it's $15 and it offers a cool twist on CV manipulation

Mini Normalizer because it's free

... that's it! My least GAS-y May Madness ever. Was going to grab Transcendent 2000 for $20, but I'm trialling it and it's not really ringing my bell

crimsonwarlock

31 May 2022

I trialed Ivoks, Red70, Transedent 2000 and Predator. None of those did anything special or different enough to add to what I already have, so no go for me so far. I still might pick up something today, but chances are slim. GAS firmly under control for me :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Jac459

31 May 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 May 2022
I trialed Ivoks, Red70, Transedent 2000 and Predator. None of those did anything special or different enough to add to what I already have, so no go for me so far. I still might pick up something today, but chances are slim. GAS firmly under control for me :puf_bigsmile:
You managed to resist predatorRe? I admire that, I was not that strong. Really love this synth so far...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

crimsonwarlock

31 May 2022

Jac459 wrote:
31 May 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 May 2022
You managed to resist predatorRe? I admire that, I was not that strong. Really love this synth so far...
It sounds great and comes with a gazillion patches. However, it didn't make me go wow while listening to the presets. They all sound very good, but not really better than what I have available in other synths. I do have a fairly balanced, although pretty large, selection of instruments already.

Same goes for Obsession. I was seriously lusting for that, as I didn't have anything like it. But after getting SAW-1 Discovery, I found that it filled that same sonic space for me. I know you are also drooling over Obsession, so I seriously suggest to just look/listen to the demo videos in the shop for SAW-1, you might be surprised.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

dan_g

31 May 2022

i got polysix. because i like the sound of it and also its limitations. you can get some pretty nice "analog" chords out of it for some melodic techno like stephan bodzin.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

Steedus
Competition Winner

31 May 2022

Robotic Bean:
Sequences

Ekssperimental Sounds:
SADIST
Filter Chain X8187
PTF + ES Bundle
— Tapefunk M10
— PTF60 Digital Reverb
— Spring FX3180
— SpaceXpander Spring Reverb (already had this one)

On the PTF60, it took a bit to click, but this is great for general use. Just a touch here and there really comes through. This is an extremely in your face verb. Sometimes I wish it had a built in filter to tame the high end (in addition to the Treble contour but anyway).

For some comparison, I noticed the Orchestral Hall Reverb by Red Rock Studios looked like it might be based off a similar reverb unit (albeit the Hall settings instead of plate and room) so I decided to try it at the same time.

It was immediately clear that there is a lot of stuff happening in the PTF60 in addition to the IR’s. The effect just jumps out at you. No shade on Red Rocks here, but by comparison, the Hall Reverb didn’t seem to have much oomph behind it. I also noticed that the input gain on the Hall Reverb affects the sound even in bypass, so A/B-ing effects required having to pull the input gain down when I wanted to bypass it otherwise it sits there boosting the level. I’m sure that must be a bug .. I’ll report it.

Oddly due to the way the Rewards store works during sales, I’m having to wait to pick up Amalgam, and Bass Line Generator but those are also on my shopping list.

Jac459

31 May 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 May 2022
Jac459 wrote:
31 May 2022

It sounds great and comes with a gazillion patches. However, it didn't make me go wow while listening to the presets. They all sound very good, but not really better than what I have available in other synths. I do have a fairly balanced, although pretty large, selection of instruments already.

Same goes for Obsession. I was seriously lusting for that, as I didn't have anything like it. But after getting SAW-1 Discovery, I found that it filled that same sonic space for me. I know you are also drooling over Obsession, so I seriously suggest to just look/listen to the demo videos in the shop for SAW-1, you might be surprised.
Thanks for the tips, I will try.

Actually what you said about the patches just happenned to me with vk-2. After 1 hour of testing, only 2 more in my favourites.
On predatorRe I found a lot. On Expanse, Antidote and ReSpire, almost all their patches are in favorites lol.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

strangers
Competition Winner

31 May 2022

I've never really explored players devices until recently and found some really cool uses for things like Beat Map. This led me to trying Bassline Generator while it's on sale. Never thought I'd buy a players device but here I am on the final day of May Madness and purchased Bassline Generator. I'm finding these types of devices really useful for creating rhythmic patterns I probably wouldn't have come up with. I don't care for the note choices. Luckily, that can all be altered by sending the notes to a lane and editing them as needed.

There are some players devices that I can't really find a use for, like note repeat and pattern mutator.

Aside from that, I haven't really been interested in any other REs. I am trialing a few Lectric Panda REs that I'll most likely end up buying. No rush there since they aren't part of the May Madness sale.

crimsonwarlock

31 May 2022

Jac459 wrote:
31 May 2022
Actually what you said about the patches just happenned to me with vk-2. After 1 hour of testing, only 2 more in my favourites.
VK-2 is one of the synths I bought specifically because of its architecture and not for any presets. I do use presets as starting points, but the synths I use most are the ones that let me dial in my own sounds quickly. This goes also for PolySix, Morningstar, Zoetrope and Antidote, just to name a few.
-------

Jac459

31 May 2022

[quote=crimsonwarlock post_id=607946 time=1654012022 user_id=25902
This goes also for PolySix, Morningstar, Zoetrope and Antidote, just to name a few.
[/quote]

Antidote :clap:

I think I need to give more time on the VK-2. I always do some "intuition" test to see if I "understand" the synth easily. For example like modulating an LFO frequency with an amplitude (straightforward in many synths... On VK-2, I still have to spend more time to find...).

But I am glad to see that I am not the only one with a "meh" feeling on the presets...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

crimsonwarlock

31 May 2022

Jac459 wrote:
31 May 2022
But I am glad to see that I am not the only one with a "meh" feeling on the presets...
I didn't say the VK-2 presets are 'meh', just that I didn't buy VK-2 for those. However, there are some beautiful Vangelis-like leads and pads in there, if that is your thing (it is mine, among other things). The VK-2 presets have more character to me than the Predator presets, as the VK-2 filter sounds absolutely superior to me.
-------

DaveyG

31 May 2022

I trialled a few and ended up going off to find better and/or cheaper VST equivalents. Yeah, I may not be the ideal RS customer...

selig
RE Developer

31 May 2022

J. Chris Griffin's Suitecase 73, because it's awesome and I love a good Rhodes.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information