Old video game music

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Creativemind

07 May 2022

Some good tunes on consoles back in the day, Ghouls 'n' Ghosts had good music as did Outrun and I loved the tunes on a game I had on my Megadrive called Hellfire. Here's a video of it, my favourite is the 4th one on here called Mystic Green. Yes I know this is Sega Genesis but the game was also available on Megadrive.

It was a great horizontal shoot'em up too.

:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 May 2022

Creativemind wrote:
07 May 2022
Some good tunes on consoles back in the day, Ghouls 'n' Ghosts had good music as did Outrun and I loved the tunes on a game I had on my Megadrive called Hellfire. Here's a video of it, my favourite is the 4th one on here called Mystic Green. Yes I know this is Sega Genesis but the game was also available on Megadrive.

Mega Drive is the Genesis.

It has a Yamaha sound chip which is pretty much an FM4 IIRC. That's why you could get serious FM synth sounds

Creativemind

08 May 2022

avasopht wrote:
07 May 2022
Creativemind wrote:
07 May 2022

Mega Drive is the Genesis.

It has a Yamaha sound chip which is pretty much an FM4 IIRC. That's why you could get serious FM synth sounds
Oh so it is, called Genesis in North America apparently. All these alternative names. The SNES was called the Super Famicom in Japan. Anyway, after the Megadrive / Genesis were released in 1988 / 1989 respectively, they then released the Sega Saturn in 1994 and then the Sega Dreamcast in 1998. Little fact for you though, did you know that the Sega Dreamcast was the first console that had wi-fi to play other users online?

It's a pity Nintendo and Sega lost their leadership in the gaming world and Sony and Microsoft took over. Stealing their thunder and greedy.

Paralytik

15 May 2022

Creativemind wrote:
08 May 2022
It's a pity Nintendo and Sega lost their leadership in the gaming world and Sony and Microsoft took over. Stealing their thunder and greedy.
Sega is basically gone, but saying Nintendo has lost it is not how I see it. I haven't checked the numbers, but I think their latest consoles are still selling well, and they have so many classic IPs only available on these consoles.

Music-wise, Japanese VGM composers are in a different league, in my opinion.

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 May 2022

Paralytik wrote:
15 May 2022
Creativemind wrote:
08 May 2022
Sega is basically gone, but saying Nintendo has lost it is not how I see it. I haven't checked the numbers, but I think their latest consoles are still selling well, and they have so many classic IPs only available on these consoles.

The Nintendo Switch is outperforming XBox and Playstation.

They also make twice as much profit as PlayStation ($5.4 bn vs $2.63 bn)

Jagwah

17 May 2022

avasopht wrote:
15 May 2022

I always found this a bit of a shocking truth. If I ever talk to someone about gaming and they play, they either use playstation, xbox, or PC. Nobody ever says they play Nintendo to me. I guess that kiddies market really is something to behold.

joeyluck

17 May 2022

I actually know more people with the Nintendo Switch than other systems. People of all ages.

I think there is a lot of charm to Nintendo products. Not just the games, but the hardware as well. Even when they release a new system with a different controller and concept, they still make it feel like a Nintendo. I think Nintendo is kind of the Disney of videogames. Mario is the Mickey Mouse of the videogame world.

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 May 2022

Jagwah wrote:
17 May 2022
avasopht wrote:
15 May 2022

I always found this a bit of a shocking truth. If I ever talk to someone about gaming and they play, they either use playstation, xbox, or PC. Nobody ever says they play Nintendo to me. I guess that kiddies market really is something to behold.
Nintendo discloses Switch age demographic data:

Jagwah

18 May 2022

joeyluck wrote:
17 May 2022
I actually know more people with the Nintendo Switch than other systems. People of all ages.

I think there is a lot of charm to Nintendo products. Not just the games, but the hardware as well. Even when they release a new system with a different controller and concept, they still make it feel like a Nintendo. I think Nintendo is kind of the Disney of videogames. Mario is the Mickey Mouse of the videogame world.
That's a good way of explaining it. The NES was magical to me when I was a kid and only my friend had it. I was a huge SNES guy, then the PS1 blew us all away, I remember playing Driver on it constantly and with friends over it was lots of fun. I guess I never looked back, and looking at the demographic above it's only by chance I run into more PS players than anything. I'm pretty sure I could enjoy playing the latest Mario game and so could a 5 year old and that's pretty cool and quite an accomplishment. I bet the music is still great too, all the earlier Mario games had music that is just timeless.

Creativemind

21 May 2022

avasopht wrote:
15 May 2022
Paralytik wrote:
15 May 2022

:thumbs_up:

tronam

21 May 2022

For authentic NES oscillators, especially the classic 8-bit triangle wave, look no further than Magical 8-bit Plug and it's completely free: https://ymck.net/app/magical-8bit-plug-en

It has gotten regular updates for years and is available for all platforms and plugin formats, even M1 native. I've used this a ton and it's fantastic for that type of sound. The best commercial alternative IMO is Plogue chipsounds which covers about 15 different VGM synth chips, but it's nearly $100.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

Jagwah

26 May 2022

tronam wrote:
21 May 2022
For authentic NES oscillators, especially the classic 8-bit triangle wave, look no further than Magical 8-bit Plug and it's completely free: https://ymck.net/app/magical-8bit-plug-en

It has gotten regular updates for years and is available for all platforms and plugin formats, even M1 native. I've used this a ton and it's fantastic for that type of sound. The best commercial alternative IMO is Plogue chipsounds which covers about 15 different VGM synth chips, but it's nearly $100.
Very cool thanks!!!

fullforce

30 May 2022

Jagwah wrote:
24 Mar 2022
Thanks that's really cool.

Bit pricey for my needs though, I just wanted to have a bit of a go as a one off or maybe for a forum challenge some time.
It's on sale now.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

30 May 2022

Jagwah wrote:
17 May 2022
avasopht wrote:
15 May 2022

I totally skipped Nintendo, I was 20 something and got into PC's (and trackers!) instead. :)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Jagwah

01 Jun 2022

fullforce wrote:
30 May 2022
I totally skipped Nintendo, I was 20 something and got into PC's (and trackers!) instead. :)
When I was 10 I was really in to the 8 bit NES. A mate I met years later, the same age as me, well when he was 10 he was going to the first hardcore raves here. So jealous, they were all age events so no dramas for him getting in, and as he described it - 'even the security guards were on it.' He always insisted that the raves we later went to were never as good as the original ones and I have a feeling he was right about that for a few reasons, not that they can't still be great though. :thumbup:

• Information